closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Tesla Info Thread.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Boss13 View Post
    This may explain it as the average journey is probably 10-15 miles.
    Yep, especially in this weather, there’s a penalty for continually warming the battery up for each short journey.

The good news is that on a longer trip, it equals out, once the battery is up to temp, consumption goes down markedly.

It sounds to me as though there might be a fault.

I recently bought a LR model, and last week went from Plymouth to Southampton (150 miles) and had about 170 miles range remaining on arrival.

Best wishes,
    Martyn.

Craftsman
    Where to start…

We picked up a blue Model 3 Performance just before Christmas – company Tax reasons. Underwhelmed so far, although we acknowledge it’s a marvel of technology.
    In summary:

- Fit and finish are poor – USB’s missing, perimeter cameras fog up internally, so you get constant warnings
    - iPad fixes a problem that didn’t exist, it’s glitchy and you constantly have to take your eyes off the road
    - Performance is impressive but utterly sterile – it’s never been so dull going so quickly. For context, our last three cars have been BMW M’s. I’m not sure I see the point in having this level of performance without any engagement, in hindsight we should probably have bought the standard car (and an MX5 BBR).
    - The range is 25/30% lower than is quoted, even if you chill in chill on a long run.
    - The Auto windscreen wipers are terrible, as are the auto lights, the worst I've used

I’m sure this doesn’t meet with everyone’s experiences. On the plus side the latest software update is a big UI improvement.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chairman LMAO View Post
    Where to start…

We picked up a blue Model 3 Performance just before Christmas – company Tax reasons. Underwhelmed so far, although we acknowledge it’s a marvel of technology.
    In summary:

- Fit and finish are poor – USB’s missing, perimeter cameras fog up internally, so you get constant warnings
    - iPad fixes a problem that didn’t exist, it’s glitchy and you constantly have to take your eyes off the road
    - Performance is impressive but utterly sterile – it’s never been so dull going so quickly. For context, our last three cars have been BMW M’s. I’m not sure I see the point in having this level of performance without any engagement, in hindsight we should probably have bought the standard car (and an MX5 BBR).
    - The range is 25/30% lower than is quoted, even if you chill in chill on a long run.
    - The Auto windscreen wipers are terrible, as are the auto lights, the worst I've used

I’m sure this doesn’t meet with everyone’s experiences. On the plus side the latest software update is a big UI improvement.
    It’s funny isn’t it, I really don’t like the latest UI changes much, but then I’d got used to where everything was on the old UI.

Agree with you on the auto high beam function of the headlights too, the ID.3 auto active matrix lights are superb in comparison, which is unfortunate for the Tesla.

Hopefully it will grow on you though!

Well I far prefer it to the Velar HSE I had before. Its a superb car.

Master
    Where to start…

In summary:

I was expecting all of the above when moving from a German car. We are happy with it despite some of these expected shortcomings; it is still a great car and a hint of the future.

Annoying about the USBs… does that mean you are missing the wireless charging too? I believe they will fix this for you at your home.

Blog Entries
    There are short comings with my Yank built model and bits which a do shake my head at, but beyond these I could not be happier with my Model 3 over the approaching 18 months of ownership.

Range like any car (ice or ev) is never going to hit the manufacturers quoted figures but again I have found EV running absolutely fine. The ease of use and power delivery I really can not see myself getting tired off. The 'I need the theatre' view I had over years and years has disappeared completely, I find the roar tiresome now but each to his own.

Agreed on wipers but auto lights are on par with the past 10 German wonders I have owned, all of which were not great..

Pitch

Craftsman
    Hey guys, my tire pressure info seems to have disappeared - anyone know why/how I can get it back?

Cheers,

John

Sent from my LE2123 using Tapatalk

Drive it for a bit

I have a Tesco Extra a couple of miles away in New Malden that has 2 x 7KWH chargers and 2 x 22KWH free (the Tesla maxes out at 11 kwh however), and 1 x 50 KWH chargeable at a low rate. 3 hour maximum free parking. Basically I now do a shop per week in the Tesco, or use it to park when visiting one of the local Korean restaurants around a 2 minute walk away and come back to a nicely charged car, all for free.

Anyone here have a Model Y on order? What are the thoughts?

Blog Entries
    Saw this linked to on another forum. Not sure if it’s old news as haven’t checked the whole thread but maybe something to be aware of.
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...-software.html
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Saw this linked to on another forum. Not sure if it’s old news as haven’t checked the whole thread but maybe something to be aware of.

Yeah seems that's where people are using Teslamate 3rd party software and that has vulnerabilities. I just use 1st party software approved by Tesla - job done.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    It’s a fair warning actually, I see a lot of EV and other ‘connected car’ drivers on the various forums enthusing the use of third party Apps to check ‘hidden’ parameters and unlock features.

They don’t seem to realise that they’re effectively letting unknown people have a snoop around the cars software and could use that access for no good should they choose to.

It’s good advice to stick with the manufacturers software I think, and at least then you’re covered insurance wise too.

On the subject of third party apps A Better Route Planner is fantastic and I have that linked to my car. Would thoroughly recommend. I don’t use the paid for version, free is good enough.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tooks View Post
    It’s a fair warning actually, I see a lot of EV and other ‘connected car’ drivers on the various forums enthusing the use of third party Apps to check ‘hidden’ parameters and unlock features.

They don’t seem to realise that they’re effectively letting unknown people have a snoop around the cars software and could use that access for no good should they choose to.

It’s good advice to stick with the manufacturers software I think, and at least then you’re covered insurance wise too.
    I thought someone remotely turning the stereo on at full volume or opening a door could be a tad dangerous hence the heads up.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

208 miles range on the app. Didn’t touch the car for two days and when the app once loaded said 206. Really good, especially with the cold.

Do a software update and heat the car up, get in and it’s 201 miles. Quick 6.2 mile round trip in chill mode with one heated seat on max and the steering wheel on too, now it’s on 186 miles.

Won’t care once we’re charging at home but I now see why my friend with an S refuses to use miles and only uses the percentage.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    208 miles range on the app. Didn’t touch the car for two days and when the app once loaded said 206. Really good, especially with the cold.

Do a software update and heat the car up, get in and it’s 201 miles. Quick 6.2 mile round trip in chill mode with one heated seat on max and the steering wheel on too, now it’s on 186 miles.

Won’t care once we’re charging at home but I now see why my friend with an S refuses to use miles and only uses the percentage.
    Yep, there is an energy penalty to pay for warming up the liquid cooled battery when it’s as cold as it is at the moment, short journeys are the least efficient in this weather.

Once warmed up though, if you carried on driving, consumption would settle down.

Roll on spring/summer!

Has anyone worked out what they’re getting per mile yet?

We’re paying 10p per mile over 600 miles and the diesel GLC we sold is down as 13p per mile on the official gov stats. No idea what we were actually getting.

We’re charging at roughly 30p per kw but by Easter we should have the drive done and with economy 7 it will be 10p kw. Shortly after our deal expires and it might end up being cheaper charging elsewhere.

Master
    Has anyone worked out what they’re getting per mile yet?

We’re paying 10p per mile over 600 miles and the diesel GLC we sold is down as 13p per mile on the official gov stats. No idea what we were actually getting.

We’re charging at roughly 30p per kw but by Easter we should have the drive done and with economy 7 it will be 10p kw. Shortly after our deal expires and it might end up being cheaper charging elsewhere.
    Do you mean cost per mile?

Home charging ours is about 4p per mile charging on an overnight Economy 7 tariff at circa 14p per kWh.

Out and about on the SuC network, at 35p per kWh that’s more like 10p per mile.

Assuming your GLC returned 40 mpg, and with diesel prices as they are, it was probably more like 17p per mile?

Quote Originally Posted by Tooks View Post
    Do you mean cost per mile?

Home charging ours is about 4p per mile charging on an overnight Economy 7 tariff at circa 14p per kWh.

Out and about on the SuC network, at 35p per kWh that’s more like 10p per mile.

Assuming your GLC returned 40 mpg, and with diesel prices as they are, it was probably more like 17p per mile?
    Yes correct, I’m assuming our 10p per mile will drop to about 3.5/4p once we’re home charging, but anything could happen once we’re out of our energy deal and at the mercy of the price cap.

I'm currently charging for free but superchargers are between 20p kw/h (London) and 36p kw/h (non-London) so around 6p-11p per mile if paid for.

Master
    From my calculation earlier in the thread I was at 8.6p per mile. That is home charging at around 18.5p per kWh and my range is terrible.

Our energy deal is also up soon so I am sure this will massively increase soon, unless I can improve the range !

Journeyman
    I’ve been looking at swapping our runabout car for an EV and have been trying to calculate the costs and potential savings. For those of you on Economy 7 type tariffs, have you taken in to account the increase in cost for the day time tariff or is the difference negligible? I reckon we use a fair amount of electricity once the kids are back from school and we cooking, gaming, charging various devices etc.

Blog Entries
    Based on my initial free SC, home charging, public network and free supermarket and multi-storey parking my first 6,000 miles cost £251.00.

Given increase in electricity cost my second and third 6,000 miles would be more.

Pitch

I bet that when the ice tax take starts reducing, HMG will cast their beady eye on taxing EV cars more somehow, possibly on the electricity supply to them?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    I bet that when the ice tax take starts reducing, HMG will cast their beady eye on taxing EV cars more somehow, possibly on the electricity supply to them?
    It will be quite difficult to do that, certainly at the metering end. Rolling out smart chargers isn’t universal, and smart meter install has stalled somewhat.

You’ve also got people who generate electricity at home as well of course via solar panels, so not sure how that will work.

Public charging is already taxed more highly.

I’d guess some kind of mileage based charge, road pricing, or a convoluted scheme involving installing separate meters for home car charging or something.

As a bit of info I charge at my local Tesco using a mix of free and paid chargers. You can see the sessions for the past 5 weeks or so below.

136 kh/h were added which would equate to around 510 miles of average range. Cost for this was just over £20 so looking at around 4p per mile driven in cost.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    https://committees.parliament.uk/com...hole-urge-mps/

''A road pricing system, based on miles travelled and vehicle type, would enable the Government to maintain the existing link between motoring taxation and road usage. In today’s new report, Road Pricing, the Committee warns that it has not seen a viable alternative to a road charging system based on technology which measures road use.

The ban on the sale of new petrol and diesel vehicles from 2030 will result in a corresponding decline in two significant sources of Treasury revenue. As sales of electric vehicles increase, Treasury revenue from motoring taxation will decrease, because neither fuel duty nor vehicle excise duty are currently levied on electric vehicles. Without reform, policies to deliver net zero emissions by 2050 will result in zero revenue for the Government from motoring taxation. The Committee urges the Government to act now to replace a potential loss of £35 billion to the Exchequer.''

Where to start…

In summary:

I’ve had my M3P for 14 months now and the above is exactly the same for me, a fun fast car let down by so many niggly flaws that you wouldn’t even find on a Citroen let alone a £60k car!

I want to love Tesla (and electric cars in general) but once the novelty of flooring it off the line has subsided it leaves no passion or fun in driving.

I came from a 911 to this, mostly for tax purposes and the worry back in 2020 on how much the 911 would depreciate, once the lease is over I will be back in a 911!

Quite underwhelmed with mine. There are things I really like about it but overall I’m quite apathetic towards it.

I paid £100 to reserve a Model Y and the Model 3 was meant to be a stopgap until that came potentially but based on the Model 3 I’m not going to proceed with the Model Y.

I could easily feel the same way about a 15k 1 Series as I do the 40k Model 3 which doesn’t sit right with me. Might get my wife to look at her work car scheme or go for something 15-20k for the next year or two, see how things evolve.

Maybe things have changed and that’s just what 40k on a car gets you these days?

Quite underwhelmed with mine. There are things I really like about it but overall I’m quite apathetic towards it.

I paid £100 to reserve a Model Y and the Model 3 was meant to be a stopgap until that came potentially but based on the Model 3 I’m not going to proceed with the Model Y.

I could easily feel the same way about a 15k 1 Series as I do the 40k Model 3 which doesn’t sit right with me. Might get my wife to look at her work car scheme or go for something 15-20k for the next year or two, see how things evolve.

Maybe things have changed and that’s just what 40k on a car gets you these days?
    Are you driving it in comfort mode? I find mine thrilling so I can't understand people going from Mercs and BMWs to Teslas and being disappointed. Fair enough if you have come from a Bugatti

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Are you driving it in comfort mode? I find mine thrilling so I can't understand people going from Mercs and BMWs to Teslas and being disappointed. Fair enough if you have come from a Bugatti
    Both. The acceleration is great and really reminds me of my motorbike, you can make any light.

However as an overall package I find it lacking for 40k. I might feel different if it was on lease or a car scheme and it was cheap but we paid in full.

I change jobs at that end of that month and will have a fair bit of UK travel. I might change my mind after 6 hours on the motorway on autopilot 3x per week but the seat just isn’t that comfortable. The basic autopilot is just radar cruise and lane keep assist anyway and can be had on most modern cars. Even my 66 plate gold had radar cruise.

Sounds like a couple of buyers have a touch of remorse whilst possibly only Ryan remains thrilled to bits with his'un.

From the stocks/shares thread it was discussed that their stock price was what Tesla was really about rather than the motors they produce...it does seem from the feedback here...concerns with fit and finish, various niggles, range variations, distinct lack of driver engagement/ experience...that there could be some truth to that.

Useful to hear owner feedback, thanks.
    Last edited by Passenger; 12th February 2022 at 14:47.

Another gripe of mine is that this is a £60k “Performance” car but bar slightly bigger wheels and a tiny carbon spoiler on the back (which has fallen off 3 times now) it looks no different to the £20k cheaper SR!

Also, for a car that does 0-60 faster than a Lamborghini the seats are awful, reminds me of my wife’s old Renault Clio 15 years ago, you go round a corner at speed and the passenger is sat on your lap!

Craftsman
    I drove my LR up north last weekend to Grantown-on-Spey from Edinburgh and comfortably made it. Was freezing conditions with snow and the journey was a breeze. Had 30% battery left and charged at hotel overnight. Kids were happy in back (3 and 6) so we didn't even need to stop. I would not go back to an ICE car. I understand why some might miss the bells and whistles of other brands, for me I love the simplicity of the Tesla. I also find the seats really comfy!

I do agree that it has some niggles like a repeated annoyance is the auto wipers - but I've not had a car yet without some form of issue. Lots of people have it in for Tesla, but they are selling like hotcakes and their productions process seems to be improving all the time. Like anything else, if you look for negatives - you will find them.

Sent from my LE2123 using Tapatalk

Master
    I will be following this thread with interest as my E-tron is due for replacement at the end of the year so I can order the new car soon. Have been thinking about a model Y to save a bit of money but I do have some concerns that I’ll miss the general ambiance and build quality of the Audi

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    Sounds like a couple of buyers have a touch of remorse whilst possibly only Ryan remains thrilled to bits with his'un.

From the stocks/shares thread it was discussed that their stock price was what Tesla was really about rather than the motors they produce...it does seem from the feedback here...concerns with fit and finish, various niggles, range variations, distinct lack of driver engagement/ experience...that there could be some truth to that.

Useful to hear owner feedback, thanks.
    Fit and finish of the Chinese made cars is fine. There are some big pros don’t get me wrong, but you’re paying to drive the future.

I'm still very happy with mine. I find the seats very comfortable.

I still think the thing that makes them special is the supercharger network. We had terrible experiences with the non-Tesla chargers in two years of electric Golf ownership, whereas the Tesla superchargers have been wonderful - unbelievably fast, and they just work.

Best wishes,
    Martyn.

Master
    We are happy with ours.

As Wileeeeeey alludes to above, we have it on car scheme and if was actually handing over the cash not sure would have gone for it.

Had a couple of minor niggles but when we bought this we knew we were doing something a little different and went into it with wide open eyes with no expectation. We also have another car so are not fully reliant on it.

Overall enjoying it, the kids love it and the technology especially the basic autopilot is something that will be difficult to live without. It fully drives itself on the motorway and just requires an occasional movement of the wheel. Feels safer as if you happen to take an eye off the road for a second which of course you shouldn’t but can happen, you can be fairly sure you will still be between the lines and at a safe distance from the car in front. It literally drives itself not just a lane keeper and radar cruise. It turns around bends fully. Quite scary when you first let it do it but eventually learn to trust it. Although my wife insists she will never use it!

Master
    ps Does anyone know if the car has DAB?

Master
    ps Does anyone know if the car has DAB?
    My car is December 21 and has DAB. I know some don’t which must be a pain.
    I have noticed while listening to the radio that the volume very slightly “fades” up and down.
    Has anyone else had a stone lodged in their brake disc shroud?
    It sounds horrendous! Puting the car into reverse has cleared it but takes the cool factor away driving into the school with the kids in the car 🤪

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Loupe View Post
    My car is December 21 and has DAB. I know some don’t which must be a pain.
    I have noticed while listening to the radio that the volume very slightly “fades” up and down.
    Has anyone else had a stone lodged in their brake disc shroud?
    It sounds horrendous! Puting the car into reverse has cleared it but takes the cool factor away driving into the school with the kids in the car 🤪
    How do you access the DAB!? Really cannot work it out!

Master
    How do you access the DAB!? Really cannot work it out!
    I’ve no idea! The radio icon is only DAB and I can’t change it to FM AM

I stumbled on DAB by accident and saved the stations. No idea how as I was on FM for a while first wondering if I was going to have to pay £9.99 for TuneIn. Yours should have it.

Fit and finish of the Chinese made cars is fine. There are some big pros don’t get me wrong, but you’re paying to drive the future.
    I wouldn't splash that magnitude of cash on anything China made, matter of principle for me.

That does sound exciting though, ''paying to drive the future''...but are we sure? For a while there Diesel was going to be the future!!!
    Last edited by Passenger; 13th February 2022 at 11:03.

Master
    Thanks chaps, will play around with it to try to find the DAB.

Was about to ask what is wrong with China made, then realised this is not the Bear Pit and probably don't want to hear the answer anyway !

Those coming from more traditional luxury cars, how are you finding your 3? Can one live with vinyl seats 😬

Blog Entries
    Interesting thoughts above and never truer of different things to different men.

Firstly my wife has one of the new FWD I Series BMW's and I could not disagree more with thoughts that how it might make me feel. I could not be more disappointed with the new 1Series and shows the brand has hardly moved over the past 20 years IMO. It is dark, claustrophobic, noisy, the dash is messy and confusing and the tech is woeful, a joke. Plus why all the bulges, vents and bolt on's, purely marketing.

Perhaps it is my age but I do not need my 60k Performance to look 'different' than a 40k SR. Perhaps a marketing thing again and the Germans are guilty of this by making a 2.0 oil burning snails look like a flash super saloon. My wife's previous Golf R's received slating because of how bland they looked but it was something I really liked about the car that it looked like nannies shopping hack. I personally do not need a statement of I'm far more wealthier than thou....

Regards the feel of the Model 3, it would have been completely naive if I would have expected the Performance to be as engaging as a V8, V6 or multi blower super saloon or car, you simply are not going have that with a silent EV, thinking that is missing the whole point or where the industry or brand is and going.

What I expected from Tesla and the Performance model was a real fresh new look on the whole buying and experience of motoring which after 20 years of BMW and Audi ownership and all the b0!!ocks that go with those particular brands Tesla have truly offered and delivered. I found the whole exercise before the car was parked on my drive just so refreshing. I don't need swanky kids telling me how great things are, fuelling me with shite coffee and 'let me just speak with my manager' approach.

What I was very aware of was that to dip my toes in the Tesla pool would be very different and that I would be a guinea pig with this very infant manufacturer, I never dreamt it would equal my past customer service over the past 20 years. But, in fairness it has, but then both Audi and BMW were ropey at best.

Don't get me wrong, there are things that just make me shake my head with my car and the quality is one, it is shocking in places. The UI is constantly updating and yes it does take the odd step backwards but they do listen and improve and all of which is live and ongoing, remember guinea pigs..

To sum up I absolutely love the car. 18 months on it never ceases to put a smile on my face, the cabin just feels clean and right, I have never had an issue with the seats, the sound and tech is just amazing, the cost of running is just plain crazy and Tesla have clearly shaken the whole industry up, it lear the EV world would not be where it is now if it had not been for Musk.

Pitch

Brilliant response, many thanks for taking your time. This echos my thoughts as well, I drive a Jag XF V8 and missis wants a Macan as next car and I feel I would pay shitloads for essentially minor upgrades at the cost of massive service and repair costs of the P brand, and still drive a 30mpg car.

I also think the ‘10s was generally a bad period for car design (hello BMW 🦫 ) and the engineering hours were spent on minuscules fuel savings that were only noticeable in a lab environments, adding complicated solutions and removing the fun (hello electric power steering and perfectly linear 4 pot turbo engines).

As for engaging driving the V8 is fun for spirited driving but reality is that you need to shift down to get all the power so for everyday driving there is a built in sluggishness. Essentially the fun part of an ICE is all its short comings - noise & non linear power output. Fun for sports cars not so much for everyday cars.

I hope I can convince missis as I really enjoy the new take of what a car is, plus the monetary savings! 🙂 Thanks again for taking your time to share your thoughts.
    Last edited by jonasy; 13th February 2022 at 12:06.