closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Tesla Info Thread.

Picked mine up today. All good apart from the fact it is nigh on impossible to see out the back in the dark and I rely on the cameras. Apart from that belting and the acceleration from 40-80 etc is awesome

Tesla Info Thread.

Happy with mine. Rear visibility is dog poo but it's my first saloon, might be normal. No update to the battery range yet but that was always upside and may yet change.

Wish the passenger seat had memory, that I could customise how low the mirrors go when parking (probably can) and this is really petty but I wish it had that bit of the seat which extends out for longer legs and an opening sunroof.

Once I calm down on the acceleration I'll pop it into chill mode and get more milage per charge but for now I'm loving the speed.

Craftsman
    Absolutely adore mine. Agree rear visibility is horrendous, need to get used to using the camera more I guess, especially in the dark. I can easily live with that personally.

Coupe of small niggles as with any car, but overall blown away with the tech, quality, comfort, practicality, economy, and fun. Even my wife loves it!

Sent from my LE2123 using Tapatalk

My wife likes it too. Misses some stuff from the Mercedes and wishes it was a 4x4 but really likes the drive and seriously likes getting into a warm car.

Good review of the new 2021 Model 3 with battery differences here. Looks like those with the new battery (Dec 2021 onwards?) can charge to 100% daily without issue.

My car is labelled "Standard Plus" in the app but when I initially placed the deposit the paperwork was all "SR+".

https://youtu.be/ZnD_UZ5Jurs

Can anyone who's bought one recently with premium inside tell me if they have DAB?

It was on the spec list and in the manual but mine doesn't have it. Only FM and intune. This is bollocks but indicative of the whole buying experience whereby you don't actually know what you're paying for.

I spend a lot of time in the Highlands and Islands and cannot rely on internet radio. Last night I was listening to 5 live on intune and it cut off for rights reasons.

It sounds petty, but this has really pissed me off.

My wife still loves it very much, but was surprised at the lack of 360 camera which she grew to rely on with the Mercedes.

Forgot to mention the radio. My TuneIn rarely works but Spotify works perfectly. I don't want to pay £10 per month and the FM radio is balls. DAB is a basic requirement.

I asked in the shop about 360 and they said it has the cameras but the software doesn't show it and it's possible they may include it in a software update. Not holding out much hope though.

2nd day now, had more chance to familiarise myself with the car. 'Kin hell they are good fun! I do miss massage seats - assume those are only available on the X and S? It's one of the things you think you won't need but when you have massage seats you realise how much of a difference they make and probably they should be standard. Aside from that though what a hoot, especially pick up from a rolling start with that whole roller coaster accelerating feeling that's just instant!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    2nd day now, had more chance to familiarise myself with the car. 'Kin hell they are good fun! I do miss massage seats - assume those are only available on the X and S? It's one of the things you think you won't need but when you have massage seats you realise how much of a difference they make and probably they should be standard. Aside from that though what a hoot, especially pick up from a rolling start with that whole roller coaster accelerating feeling that's just instant!
    You’ll get bored of the acceleration eventually, honest!

I rarely drive ours quickly now, you soon get into the mindset of conserving energy rather than using it!

Overall, I really like our M3 LR, but clearly a lot of people hate them. It gets positive comments from younger people, the old curmudgeons seem to think I’m a w@**3r for driving one. Perhaps I am!

We got ours before all the component shortages and mystery/lottery spec came about, so we got exactly what we paid for.

One thing I hate about Tesla is the aura that a lot of Teslarati place around Elon Musk, Tesla and even SpaceX. It’s nauseating, and if you ever find me watching a keynote speech by Musk and whooping and hollering at every tiny announcement, then just shoot me.

Tesla cars are great EVs, some other owners and the general hype and nonsense around it, not so great.

And yes, this is in the Tesla info thread, enjoy your car, but for info please don’t turn into one of ‘them’… ;-)

Tooks, the worst part of owning a Tesla for me personally is knowing I've given Elon money. Not into the guy at all but for electric it's Tesla or Taycan, and I can't afford a Taycan!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Tooks, the worst part of owning a Tesla for me personally is knowing I've given Elon money. Not into the guy at all but for electric it's Tesla or Taycan, and I can't afford a Taycan!
    I hear ya! If we could manage with one car, I’d happily chop the Tesla and the ID.3 in and try to get a Taycan.

Maybe a used one in a few years, fingers crossed…

Having a ton of fun now in the car - love it! Fed up of getting boy racers try it on at lights though.

Quick question, is there any way you can get speed camera warnings? I can't find a way to toggle it on the sat nav and I did have that on the Velar. Very important for the M3 stretch out of Sunbury up to Fleet.

Re the Taycan there was one last night at the MFG charging station in New Malden. Got talking to the driver (Korean chap) and he liked the car a lot although strangely it isn't that quick and probably only 0-60 in the same time as the base level Model 3 (it was the base level Taycan with some add ons). His frustration though was that most of the public chargers are 50 kw/h max and real world 35 kw/h and that's useless with his big battery so he is often forced to go out his way and find Ionity chargers for longer trips which are quick and he gets discounted rates on via Porsche ownership but those chargers are few and far between so road trips in the Taycan are much longer vs what a Tesla would do.
    Last edited by ryanb741; 14th December 2021 at 00:52.

Re cameras - for routes I don't know too well or when I'm making progress I use Waze and dump the phone in the wireless charger shelf.

When you don't need cameras it's great to be in Google maps on your phone and share a location with the Tesla. When you get in the car the directions are already on the screen. Very handy.

Blog Entries
    No camera alerts I’m afraid buddy.

I do use Google maps on my iPhone and share destinations from indoors. Other cars I have had do this but with the Tesla it works very very well.

The software is being improved all the time with over the air updates, waypoints being the latest.

Pitch

Master
    Having a ton of fun now in the car - love it! Fed up of getting boy racers try it on at lights though.

Quick question, is there any way you can get speed camera warnings? I can't find a way to toggle it on the sat nav and I did have that on the Velar. Very important for the M3 stretch out of Sunbury up to Fleet.

Re the Taycan there was one last night at the MFG charging station in New Malden. Got talking to the driver (Korean chap) and he liked the car a lot although strangely it isn't that quick and probably only 0-60 in the same time as the base level Model 3 (it was the base level Taycan with some add ons). His frustration though was that most of the public chargers are 50 kw/h max and real world 35 kw/h and that's useless with his big battery so he is often forced to go out his way and find Ionity chargers for longer trips which are quick and he gets discounted rates on via Porsche ownership but those chargers are few and far between so road trips in the Taycan are much longer vs what a Tesla would do.
    The Taycan base model is around 5s 0-60, but they pick up their skirt beyond that and limited to 160mph, if that’s relevant.

The 4S and Turbo models move up a league performance wise.

The base M3 is indeed a performance bargain, if 0-60 is your bag, but steering, braking and ride quality are somewhat behind a lot of other EVs, never mind the Taycan.

The Taycan is also an 800v system, they’ll hit their performance numbers time after time from multiple standing starts, very metronomic, the Tesla will suffer once warm.

There are plenty of high power chargers out there other than Ionity for a road trip, unless you’ve got no home charging and relying on local chargers, it should be easy to plot a route via those, and the 70+ kWh battery is a help there too. I wouldn’t have thought road trips would be ‘much slower’ even limited to Shell Recharge/Ionity/BP Ultra units.

If the Taycan driver you were talking to is only getting 35kW out of a 50kW charger then he must have arrived with a cold battery, it should pull 50kW on a 50kW all the way through the charge cycle until very late on. Even our ID.3 does that.

I’ve not got a downer on the M3, we own one, but it’s not the technical tour de force many think it is. It is a ‘performance’ car bargain though, if head butting the horizon is your thing.
    Last edited by Tooks; 14th December 2021 at 10:57.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitch3110 View Post
    No camera alerts I’m afraid buddy.

I do use Google maps on my iPhone and share destinations from indoors. Other cars I have had do this but with the Tesla it works very very well.

The software is being improved all the time with over the air updates, waypoints being the latest.

Pitch
    Regarding Google maps, does it take account of traffic like Google maps usually does? Having used it a couple of times I cannot figure out if it is as effective as normal Google maps?

I had a strange incident yesterday where I used the hazard lights quickly to thank someone for letting me into a lane, indicated left, tried to cancel the indicator as that road was blocked off and the indicator wouldn't turn off. When flipping the indicator quickly in the other direction to turn it off it just started indicating right. So I could indicate left or right but couldn't turn the damn thing off. This continued for 5 miles or so with me indicating constantly. Eventually when I stopped at a light I could turn the wheel 90 degrees and that stopped it.

Anyone else have this happen? I'll keep an eye on it to see if it happens again and if so call a Ranger to come out and check it over,

Master
    I found it hard to adjust to turning off the indicators manually. Still
    Not 100% used to it now but you have to tap it in the other direction very lightly. Almost a half tap.

Before that my heavy handed approach resulted in same as you and the car indicating right.

Or yours could just have a fault ! But do try the above.

Blog Entries
    Right, just touch the stalk up or down not through the click. Generally if I’ve indicated left say I just flick down to cancel if required. If you move the stalk in the oppo direction you can end up signalling the other way.

Does that make sense ??

Regards live traffic if you you touch the map screen it will bring up three icons in the bottom left.

World icon = switch between virtual and map.
    Traffic light = switch to live traffic data.
    Charge Icon = Shows Tesla SC’s and destinations

Pitch

Master
    I remember similar when BMW moved from a proper stalk to some resistance based one. Driving along indicating one way then the other trying to cancel it. Makes you look a bit of a tool when it’s going on.

Hope it’s just user & not software!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    I remember similar when BMW moved from a proper stalk to some resistance based one. Driving along indicating one way then the other trying to cancel it. Makes you look a bit of a tool when it’s going on.

Hope it’s just user & not software!
    You cancel in the same direction on the Tesla, saves looking a even bigger tool 🤣

Pitch

Top tip - thanks!

Picked mine up today. I'll probably have all sorts of questions by tomorrow.

Best wishes,
    Martyn.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by martynw View Post
    Top tip - thanks!

Picked mine up today. I'll probably have all sorts of questions by tomorrow.

Best wishes,
    Martyn.
    Have fun and enjoy Mate 👍🏼

Master
    You cancel in the same direction on the Tesla, saves looking a even bigger tool 藍

Pitch
    Good tip Pitch...I watched this video earlier and she mentions the same at about 3.45....useful video anyway in other ways !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Cnifd78q3Y

Ranger is coming to hopefully fix the car on Saturday as the indicators are indeed sadly faulty.

Ranger is coming to hopefully fix the car on Saturday as the indicators are indeed sadly faulty.
    Although your indicators are faulty, much strange behaviour can be cured by holding down both steering wheel buttons until the screens reset - a bit unnerving as everything goes black but everything necessary continues to work

Quote Originally Posted by Boss13 View Post
    Good tip Pitch...I watched this video earlier and she mentions the same at about 3.45....useful video anyway in other ways !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Cnifd78q3Y
    What an incredibly annoying woman.

With regards to a Tesla, what is a ranger? Is it a technician (or mechanic in baby boomer speak!)?

Quote Originally Posted by Thewatchbloke View Post
    With regards to a Tesla, what is a ranger? Is it a technician (or mechanic in baby boomer speak!)?
    If you have an issue with the car, instead of calling to book an appointment you use the app to log the issue and they send someone to the car to look at it, usually in next couple of days. You don't even need to be be present - they log the car's location and can unlock it themselves and do a diagnostic there and then where it is parked. Much more convenient.

Master
    That is pretty damn cool!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here you can see the App interface and how it shows my upcoming ranger visit- was all arranged via that app in less than a minute

Blog Entries
    Anyone named their motor Patsy yet???

Worth it for a day or two and the entertainment

Pitch

Craftsman
    Pick ours up today - Blue Model 3 Performance, company car, we've been sent a message to say that we may or may not have USB C ports and mobile charging... hehehe

Anyone named their motor Patsy yet???

Worth it for a day or two and the entertainment

Pitch
    Care to elaborate for those of us who don’t own one? Does it give you a glass of Bollinger while driving erratically?
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Care to elaborate for those of us who don’t own one? Does it give you a glass of Bollinger while driving erratically?
    All the easter eggs are listed here, but Patsy is a Monty Python thing: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...s#Monty_Python

Thank you. I'd have preferred if it had been Ab Fab's Patsy
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

For the guys who got the new model 3 with the battery pack how many miles is 100% for you? I’m showing 271 miles.

For the guys who got the new model 3 with the battery pack how many miles is 100% for you? I’m showing 271 miles.
    Same as my 27.5k MG then :)

Same here.

Still no heated steering wheel/rear seats

Same here.

Have you done your software update?

I’m on v10.2 (2021.44.5)

Have you done your software update?

I’m on v10.2 (2021.44.5)
    It's telling me I'm up to date on 2021.40.6

Are you connected to WiFi overnight?

It's telling me I'm up to date on 2021.40.6

Are you connected to WiFi overnight?
    I have been when I get a space outside but I hotspot from my phone and just sit there normally with 5G

Master
    Same here.

You probably know this, but 271 is US EPA range, the 305 miles is the EU WLTP figure.

The car and App default to the EPA range, although I believe you can change the settings to display the WLTP figure.

Master
    Chaps definitely a newbie question here. How do you know how many miles you achieve from a full charge? Don’t see a kind of trip computer you can reset when you have a ‘full tank’ ?

Chaps definitely a newbie question here. How do you know how many miles you achieve from a full charge? Don’t see a kind of trip computer you can reset when you have a ‘full tank’ ?
    Yes there is a trip computer but also an odometer so you log miles driven when at 100% and then how many at 0%. Subtract one from the other and there's range.

Alternatively there's an efficiency calculator on yhe car showing your wm/h so you can calculate anticipated mileage based on current efficiency.

Wouldn’t bother leaving sentry mode on in Covent Garden.

You can set the range display to show miles of range left or percentage of charge. You would need to work what a full charge will give you - or fully charge it.

You can also work it out from the Wh/mile display for last 30 miles. My car does about 320 Wh/mile so with a 75 KW battery about 235 miles.

Although bear in mind you get a lot of warnings if run the battery below 10% so really your comfortable range will be about 15% less.

The best advice I was given for day to day use was to set the display to show percentage and not worry about range anymore or you find yourself needlessly obsessing.
    Last edited by MB2; 20th December 2021 at 14:24.

I have been when I get a space outside but I hotspot from my phone and just sit there normally with 5G
    Since a recent update WiFi doesn't disconnect while driving so you should be able to hotspot your phone while driving.

Quote Originally Posted by MB2 View Post
    Since a recent update WiFi doesn't disconnect while driving so you should be able to hotspot your phone while driving.
    Thanks, that will be much easier.