closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Tesla Info Thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex L View Post
    Had my Model 3 company car for 3 weeks now and covered almost 2,000 miles. All good apart from a creaky drivers window, me managing to rip off the near side mud flap and a passing lorry chucking up a stone which has smashed my roof…
    I know only one was the car's fault, but that sounds a pretty less-than-good 3 weeks to me!

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Indeed, can’t blame the car, which on the whole is faultless. It even managed to get out of a boggy field last night following watching fireworks .

It’s also rather quick

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    You're probably spot on. The last time I had car issues there was no great resignation or supply chain issue.

In the past I had a flat tyre on a smart car and Mercedes couldn't locate a spare so sent me in a taxi to the nearest airport to have a hire car for a week while a garage ordered and fitted a spare wheel.

Thinking about it those days are probably gone for most brands now.
    I must say my service experience with Tesla has been different, but non the less excellent overall.

I would like to be able to call the SC and get spare parts easily like I could with Audi and it would be nice if you spoke with the person who worked on your car and the washed it for you...

That said - they have always found me a loan car (or free taxi or both) and have been very good with warranty stuff. The ranger who came out to my bonnet recall finally agreed my Homelink was dead and got it replaced as good will as the warranty had expired since I had reported the fault.

Quote Originally Posted by MB2 View Post
    I must say my service experience with Tesla has been different, but non the less excellent overall.

I would like to be able to call the SC and get spare parts easily like I could with Audi and it would be nice if you spoke with the person who worked on your car and the washed it for you...

That said - they have always found me a loan car (or free taxi or both) and have been very good with warranty stuff. The ranger who came out to my bonnet recall finally agreed my Homelink was dead and got it replaced as good will as the warranty had expired since I had reported the fault.
    Ranger came today, nice guy and didn't take long. The headlight was full of water and he couldn't figure out how - no holes or way to get the water back out so he's logged it and sending the unit back to the factory to figure out what went wrong.

No loan car for jobs estimated at under 6 hours. They do give Uber vouchers to help you get around but he's based out of Colchester and apparently Uber is banned there so that's why it wasn't offered.

Apparently there should be another London service centre by the end of the year inside the A406 in North London. Currently there are just the four of them in Colchester roaming quite a large distance (I'm in London).

Master
    Ranger came today, nice guy and didn't take long. The headlight was full of water and he couldn't figure out how - no holes or way to get the water back out so he's logged it and sending the unit back to the factory to figure out what went wrong.

No loan car for jobs estimated at under 6 hours. They do give Uber vouchers to help you get around but he's based out of Colchester and apparently Uber is banned there so that's why it wasn't offered.

Apparently there should be another London service centre by the end of the year inside the A406 in North London. Currently there are just the four of them in Colchester roaming quite a large distance (I'm in London).
    Now that’s interesting. The only times I’ve seen any Tesla parked on the hard shoulder was last week when it was really heavy rain, I counted 7 parked up in about a 50 mile stretch of the M1. Wonder if they’re a bit susceptible to water ingress when it’s heavy rain.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Blog Entries
    Huh, that sounds strange.

Over two years in for me with a Model 3 Performance and driven is some shocking conditions with no issues to date. Two others on the fleet with no issues either.

Pitch

Quote Originally Posted by Pitch3110 View Post
    Huh, that sounds strange.

Over two years in for me with a Model 3 Performance and driven is some shocking conditions with no issues to date. Two others on the fleet with no issues either.

Pitch
    Good for you, some people have other experiences:

https://cnevpost.com/2022/11/13/fata...ight-in-china/

Or here, in the US three days ago:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/18/b...ash-texas.html
    Last edited by Raffe; 13th November 2022 at 22:18.
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

While I’m happy to beta test an app on my phone, I’d rather not beta test a car safety system.
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodríguez

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    Good for you, some people have other experiences:

https://cnevpost.com/2022/11/13/fata...ight-in-china/

Or here, in the US three days ago:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/18/b...ash-texas.html
    He was talking about rain and the cars breaking down not autopilot nugget......

Those two were governments in play fella, loads of that nonsense all over the net if you search hard enough for it.......

CALM DOWN

Pitch

Master
    My mum was in the car the other day and asked me (again) how to open the door. I said press the button.

Not quite sure she understood and started pulling some random piece of trim. I was in shock as it actually opened the door.

Who knew there was a hidden handle? I certainly didn’t. Tested driver side and it also has it. Haven’t checked the back.

Quote Originally Posted by Boss13 View Post
    My mum was in the car the other day and asked me (again) how to open the door. I said press the button.

Not quite sure she understood and started pulling some random piece of trim. I was in shock as it actually opened the door.

Who knew there was a hidden handle? I certainly didn’t. Tested driver side and it also has it. Haven’t checked the back.
    Someone hasn’t watched the owner videos!

Yes the doors have manual opening as well as the push button. It’s a safety feature if the car runs out of electricity you can still open the door.

Craftsman
    You've got to be careful using the manual release though, it's designed for safety emergency I believe and can potentially shatter the window glass. I get a warning on my screen if someone uses it!

Sent from my LE2123 using Tapatalk

My mum pulled that handle too. I didn't know it was there either.

I think when you push the button the window goes down a little but if you pull the weird handle it doesn't, hence the warning

Master
    Our last few cars have dropped the window as the door opens. I hate it when it’s frozen as the glass doesn’t drop, and cringe waiting for the window to break.

Master
    Mums and handles hey.

I didn’t see a warning. Also makes sense to have a get out if you run out of electricity. Assuming you watch the videos. I didn’t even know the videos exist!

Master
    Mums and handles hey.

I didn’t see a warning. Also makes sense to have a get out if you run out of electricity. Assuming you watch the videos. I didn’t even know the videos exist!
    Fathers are often worse. Mine won’t consider if he’s pulling the handle and the door won’t open to release and try again. Some sort of 2 stage unlock.

He just pulls harder and harder. I now unlock doors with the switch so they only require a gentle pull.

Subtle things like this are not his forte!

Blog Entries
    Top ranger visit today.

Booked a new rear light in the app Tuesday night, appointment offered for Monday. Call yesterday evening from the local ranger saying he had time today. He revised the app appointment, called me when he was on his way and when he arrived at the office. 10 mins later, light done, new recall item sorted and Jon done.

No other manufacturers service works as smooth as this, the big boys could learn a lot.

26 months in and yes, my yank built cars quality is not great and there are things I shake my head at but it is by far the most smile factor car I have ever had.

Pitch

Master
    Pitch hope you are well. That sounds very efficient and great service!

Wileeeeeey and I were discussing this earlier so thought it would be an idea to share on this thread for anyone who may wish to benefit from this mini app mod.

On the app there are four shortcuts on the main screen. You are able to add a fifth. Particularly useful at this time of year is to add the shortcut which allows you to pop the driver door open. This will help if the pull handle is frozen. See below.

What you need to do:

Open the app and press and hold any of the existing shortcuts until the customise menu pops up.

With one hand, drag any shortcut to the 4th position, but don't let go.

With the other hand, pick another shortcut, and drag this to either the first or second short cut positions, don't let go.

Now slide the shortcut you've just dragged up to the first or second position to the right.

You may notice the shortcut on the right has now moved off the screen. Let go of both shortcuts.

You should now have 5 shortcuts shown. Save and exit.
    Last edited by Boss13; 18th January 2023 at 15:42.

Thanks for the tip - I can't get an additional shortcut though (MS) but I didn't know I could customise the shortcuts so I now have 4 useful shortcuts instead of 1 so great tip anyway !

Master
    Great tip!
    I couldn’t connect to WiFi to update until the other day but it’s a very useful feature.
    Pity I missed the last cold snap as the door was frozen several times so I’m looking forward to the frost again
    I also couldn’t have 5 icons showing on my app.

Some advice which might help someone if you have a modern fancy pants WiFi network at home your Tesla may need tweaks to connect.

I've finally got to the end of a WiFi issue with my car not always connecting to my WiFi (never a wrong password, just can't connect 80% of the time). It has been a petty headache for months but now solved.

Turns out my WiFi at home broadcasts on a bigger range of channels than the WiFi in the Tesla can receive so if by chance the WiFi is broadcasting on a channel outside the scope of the Tesla (which it usually is seeing as though my WiFi picks the least congested channels Vs neighbours) the Tesla won't connect. I've only had this issue once before with a bottom spec 2012 MacBook Air.

Solution seems to be making a second WiFi network just for the Tesla which adheres to the old channel spectrum. This was the advice from Tesla support after weeks of diagnostics and checking the logs from the car.

Master

Tesla Info Thread.

Silly question incoming.
    What does the Tesla need the home Wi-Fi for?

I assume software update is OTA using Tesla own signal. I guess I assumed wrong?

I think the update notification is done OTA using the 4G data built into the car but the actual update is done OTA using WiFi

Master
    Ah OK thanks.
    Will check if our update is done.

Some advice which might help someone if you have a modern fancy pants WiFi network at home your Tesla may need tweaks to connect.

I've finally got to the end of a WiFi issue with my car not always connecting to my WiFi (never a wrong password, just can't connect 80% of the time). It has been a petty headache for months but now solved.

Turns out my WiFi at home broadcasts on a bigger range of channels than the WiFi in the Tesla can receive so if by chance the WiFi is broadcasting on a channel outside the scope of the Tesla (which it usually is seeing as though my WiFi picks the least congested channels Vs neighbours) the Tesla won't connect. I've only had this issue once before with a bottom spec 2012 MacBook Air.

Solution seems to be making a second WiFi network just for the Tesla which adheres to the old channel spectrum. This was the advice from Tesla support after weeks of diagnostics and checking the logs from the car.
    Had exactly the same thing with my RING doorbell…had to split into a separate network to get it to connect properly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Or you could just manually set your router to broadcast the WiFi on a channel of your choosing?

Change the WiFi channel from auto to 6 for example.

As an aside insurance prices on EVs are shooting up largely as a result of extortionate repair costs and cars being written off when batteries get damaged.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    As an aside insurance prices on EVs are shooting up largely as a result of extortionate repair costs and cars being written off when batteries get damaged.
    Shop around at renewal and you should be able to get a better quote.

I’ve been with LV for a few years, renewal came through at +£250, that’s outside London but up from £330 to £580.

A quick search on the comparison sites and Admiral quoted £340 for the year, with a lower excess and like for like hire car cover included.

I think car insurance generally is on the up, labour and parts costs on repairs have escalated this last 18 months, but I wouldn’t be surprised if Tesla’s in particular are starting to get pricey as the risk profile of your average Tesla driver builds as more insurance incident data comes in.

I think it depends on the EV. Insurance on my relatively modest Leaf went up by £50 but I increased the annual mileage from 12,000 to 18,000 so it felt about right.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

I'd agree with the Tesla driver risk profile, a lot of guys picking up their leased Teslas and commenting on the Facebook groups that they can't wait to 'put an M3 owner in their place at the lights' etc. So a higher than average moron quota I'd say.

My insurance is £1200 per year, base model 3, 7 years NCD, no points on licence, underground secure car park so it is a lot more than yours and I think from memory you have a more powerful model. (I guess I must fit the moron profile - no comments please lads ;) )

Quote Originally Posted by Tooks View Post

I’ve been with LV for a few years, renewal came through at +£250, that’s outside London but up from £330 to £580.

A quick search on the comparison sites and Admiral quoted £340 for the year, with a lower excess and like for like hire car cover included.

I think car insurance generally is on the up, labour and parts costs on repairs have escalated this last 18 months, but I wouldn’t be surprised if Tesla’s in particular are starting to get pricey as the risk profile of your average Tesla driver builds as more insurance incident data comes in.

Quote Originally Posted by Tooks View Post

Pretty much the same story here - Model S increased from 576 to 790 with Direct Line - quick search and only cheaper quote is Admiral Black Box so sticking with Direct Line.

Just read this

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/n...-s-and-model-x

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

Does anyone know what causes the heated seats to go on? They’re not in auto mode but keep turning on when I first get in.

The car went into overheat mode earlier so I was expecting the seats to be hot but 20 mins into my drive the chair was still hot and when I checked the seat heat was on medium.

I always turn the seat heating off when I’m nearly home so I definitely haven’t been leaving it on from the previous drive.

Does anyone know what causes the heated seats to go on? They’re not in auto mode but keep turning on when I first get in.

The car went into overheat mode earlier so I was expecting the seats to be hot but 20 mins into my drive the chair was still hot and when I checked the seat heat was on medium.

I always turn the seat heating off when I’m nearly home so I definitely haven’t been leaving it on from the previous drive.
    Sounds like you may have dodgy electrics. You can set seat and cabin (and steering wheel) warmth as part of your driver profile, else you have to manually turn them on (or ask the car to do it via voice control)

Anyone else experience this issue?

My Tesla Spotify app and music Bluetoothed from my phone is terribly distorted.

Spotify and Bluetooth works fine with other speakers and from the phone. It is just when I try to play Spotify or try to use Bluetooth then it doesn’t play correctly. Radio and Netflix play all
    As normal!

Tesla service are driving me insane with the time it takes for them to do anything!

Master
    I upset my kids yesterday when I told them I could have had a low mileage Model 3 for the price I paid for my Enyaq.
    They couldn’t understand why I would pick the Skoda over the Tesla.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by paw3001 View Post
    Anyone else experience this issue?

My Tesla Spotify app and music Bluetoothed from my phone is terribly distorted.

Spotify and Bluetooth works fine with other speakers and from the phone. It is just when I try to play Spotify or try to use Bluetooth then it doesn’t play correctly. Radio and Netflix play all
    As normal!

Tesla service are driving me insane with the time it takes for them to do anything!
    All sorted now. A soft reset resolved the problem. Just don’t understand why it took Tesla a week to ask me to do that!

A week to tell you to turn it off and on again. Amazing

We have a chip in the windscreen for over a month now. Autoglass are waiting for Tesla to do something to the car so it doesn’t think it’s being stolen when the windscreen comes out. Have to wait for someone in America to click a button and it’s a 5-6 week queue.

Master

We have a chip in the windscreen for over a month now. Autoglass are waiting for Tesla to do something to the car so it doesn’t think it’s being stolen when the windscreen comes out. Have to wait for someone in America to click a button and it’s a 5-6 week queue.
    We have a tiny chip too...haven't bothered to do anything yet. But blimey, wasn't expecting a complication like that.

Yours is large enough to mean it cannot be filled / repaired I assume?

We have a tiny chip too...haven't bothered to do anything yet. But blimey, wasn't expecting a complication like that.

Yours is large enough to mean it cannot be filled / repaired I assume?
    The guy said it was a double chip and he could repair it but we would always see it. Said if it was his car he would want a new windscreen.

It came off the tyre of a lorry on the motorway as I was overtaking and was so loud I thought it went through.

Master
    Tesla windscreen shortages have been a thing for quite a while, but supply was supposed to be freeing up a bit.

A friend of mine ended up paying for his out of his own pocket from Tesla direct, and then claimed it back from his insurance (their suggestion) rather than suffer any more delays via Autoglass etc.

If it’s a lease car, push them to sort it.

Blog Entries

Apparently there is a hub in the states AG have to log onto to recalibrate the tech in to top of the screen.

I waited 5 weeks but as the screen was being fitted the tech noticed a fault. Aborted and another 4 week wait.

Not great but not the end of the world and no one was harmed.

Pitch

Apparently there is a hub in the states AG have to log onto to recalibrate the tech in to top of the screen.

I waited 5 weeks but as the screen was being fitted the tech noticed a fault. Aborted and another 4 week wait.

Not great but not the end of the world and no one was harmed.

Pitch
    No harm no, maybe post-covid everything has changed but we’re only now seeing these changes now.

I thought they were coming back to fit the windscreen but my wife just told me she has to drop it off at a Morrisons car park for 4 hours and catch the bus home and back.

If it’s of interest, there seem to be some reasonable deals on model 3 at the moment. Discounts and 0% finance on a pcp. Seems reasonable given interest rates…

Quote Originally Posted by l6sev View Post
    If it’s of interest, there seem to be some reasonable deals on model 3 at the moment. Discounts and 0% finance on a pcp. Seems reasonable given interest rates…
    Possibly because a new Model 3 is expected around October time

Master
    Anybody had their windscreen changed?

Any issues or tips?

Just want to be sure no camera interference etc. but assume it’s same as any other car with sensors in front screen?

Blog Entries

Any issues or tips?

Just want to be sure no camera interference etc. but assume it’s same as any other car with sensors in front screen?
    Call you in a bit buddy, mobile still the same.

Paul

Master
    Call you in a bit buddy, mobile still the same.

Paul
    Yep. Speak soon mate.

Any issues or tips?

Autoglass did ours recently, chip too large to fix.

Had to take it to a Morrisons car park where they do the work and come back later for it

Was about a 6 or 8 week wait as someone in Tesla USA needs to click a button at the right time otherwise it works work properly, that was the delay, not autoglass.

All went well and wouldn’t notice the difference personally.

Unfortunately my hand is being forced with ulez

I'm looking at a model y. Good choice?

Any reason not to buy?

Where am I likely to get the best deal?

I'm looking at the Billy basic rear wheel drive in some colour other than red or white

I did see the 0% on model 3 and suspected something new was imminent