closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Tesla Info Thread.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    If anyone has a new-ish Tesla with a black cable the service centre will swap it for a blue cable. The black cable has issues and can’t charge everywhere (which is why I can’t charge at work) and they’ve gone back to supplying the blue cable with new cars again.

You’ll need to raise an issue in the app or by phone first. They can either come out to you or you can do the swap in a service centre.
    Great stuff and thank you for sharing buddy.

Pitch

FYI for those that are leasing, Tesla have now found a way around the premium connectivity and will now be charging £9.99 a month from May.

I’ve enjoyed it FOC for 18 months so will pay for the remainder of the lease.

You subscribe in the app under extras, retaining google earth and Spotify etc, not a bad deal as the screen looks crap without google earth.

Cheers

Blog Entries
    Yep and same here.

Cheers for sharing

Pitch

Master
    Had the same email about the charging for premium a few days ago, thought it was probably just me and I had been lucky last few months.

I didn't subscribe yet, but the spotify still seems to be working and live traffic...I am sure it will stop but will give it a few more days to work out what I have lost in the car before re subscribing.

Master
    Still have Spotify working and I haven’t subscribed for the £10 per month. Anyone else with the same ‘issue’?

The only town in Britain with Caesar's name
    Anyone got any further thoughts on Tesla sharing their charging facilities to other manufacturers?

https://www.tesla.com/en_GB/support/...-supercharging

B

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bomberman View Post
    Anyone got any further thoughts on Tesla sharing their charging facilities to other manufacturers?

https://www.tesla.com/en_GB/support/...-supercharging

B

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    The pilots in other countries seem to have gone pretty well, I believe that one or two have now opened up the entire network to any EV driver via the App.

I know it hasn’t gone down well with every Tesla driver, and some of the existing SuC sites are pretty busy already.

We own a Tesla M3 and an ID.4 GTX, so have a foot in each camp, but in 15 months we’ve used Tesla SuC sites about 4 times, and a lot of the time we drive past them they’re near empty.

It fits with the Tesla ‘mission’ to promote EV driving, so personally I’m all for it. There are plenty of other fast growing and reliable networks now as well, so the more choice the better to help with adoption. The funds raised from opening up the chargers, and without the subscription third party drivers will be paying 60p+ per kWh, will help fund even more sites so it’s a win win I think.

Tesla Service Manuals now a zero cost subscription

https://service.tesla.com/service-subscription

Have just subscribed and works OK for me.

You can also get diagnostic tool access by the hour - not sure what cable you would need

Much better than usingthe leaked manual which was not for my model.

I'm annoyed about Tesla sharing their infrastructure. I already see queues at peak time and can't be bothered with more.

I will use it less as a result. Waiting 45 minutes for a slot with kids is already painful. Waiting behind even lower charging cars means I'm out.

Had to go on the site to check if South Mimms was on there. Luckily it wasn't. That place is packed enough already as-is.

Master
    Yes, so far, the busiest sites still seem to be outside the pilot.

They’ve opened up all chargers in some of the earlier pilot countries now though, so guess it will be coming.

I think opening up is part of the solution for the already crowded Tesla sites, to help fund more.

To be honest, there are some really good and fast non Tesla charging hubs now, and more planned or coming on line every month, so it’s no longer the USP it was. Some of the Tesla sites are in very poor locations as well, but the ‘just plug and charge’ thing is one of the best aspects.

Mind you, that’s coming to quite a few networks now as well. We just need more chargers of all sorts in more places, that benefits all EV drivers whatever they drive.

Imagine turning up to a supercharger and there is a BMW taking up two chargers while taking 3x longer than a Tesla to charge as it’s 49kW. That’s based on the slowest sites, it’s 5x slower at the usual 250kW sites. Amazing.

If I had money I would buy a Taycan. Best of both and it even has a charging socket on each side.

Master
    Imagine turning up to a supercharger and there is a BMW taking up two chargers while taking 3x longer than a Tesla to charge as it’s 49kW. That’s based on the slowest sites, it’s 5x slower at the usual 250kW sites. Amazing.

If I had money I would buy a Taycan. Best of both and it even has a charging socket on each side.

It’s easily rectified by the fitting of longer cables to the supercharger units. Tesla did it before with the rollout of CCS, they can do it again if they so wish, or they might decide to leave it and accept that it might mean some spaces are blocked whilst non Teslas charge.

A lot of EVs do have the charge port in the same place as a Tesla, and many EVs with nose charge sockets will not block a space either.

It also depends on the layout of the charge site, in some that are not yet on the trial, it would be possible to charge and not block as is.

On the charge speed thing, many Tesla’s don’t get anywhere near 150 or 250 kW charge rates anyway, as they’re rocking up at high states of charge or cool batteries.

Whilst a Taycan is a fabulous EV, you can still use any charger in a Tesla as well, so not sure what problem it solves.

Thieves are already stealing the cable from superchargers so making them two or three times longer would only incentivise this further.

In time we’ll see how it goes and if these issues are real or perceived but for me one of the main reasons to get the Tesla was the network and without that constraint I’d probably change to something else.

I’d have the Taycan every day of the week over a Model S, no question. Shame I don’t have £85k for a bottom spec with a few extras that you get standard on decent Qashqai.

... a decent Qashqai.
    There is no such a thing.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    Thieves are already stealing the cable from superchargers so making them two or three times longer would only incentivise this further.

In time we’ll see how it goes and if these issues are real or perceived but for me one of the main reasons to get the Tesla was the network and without that constraint I’d probably change to something else.

I’d have the Taycan every day of the week over a Model S, no question. Shame I don’t have £85k for a bottom spec with a few extras that you get standard on decent Qashqai.
    Is that the station in California that had all its cables stolen in February? Perhaps a political statement rather than stealing for scrap value?

I’ve not heard of it being a common thing, and besides most other charge networks have way longer high voltage cables, and they don’t seem to get targeted.

A lot of people seemingly have got Tesla’s for the charging network that goes with it, I think we’ve charged ours about 4 or 5 times on it as the stations just aren’t that convenient for our regular journeys.

Quote Originally Posted by Tooks View Post
    A lot of people seemingly have got Tesla’s for the charging network that goes with it, I think we’ve charged ours about 4 or 5 times on it as the stations just aren’t that convenient for our regular journeys.
    Agreed same here - although I would struggle to recommend any EV other than a Tesla to a non-EV driver considering making the change to EV even though I point out that most of the time you will be charging at home/work. Having tried non SC when I needed to charge the experince has been "variable" to say the least !

Agreed SC network was key differentiator - think they are going to struggle vs some of the other choices out there - especially as the service centre experience is nothing like Audi (although Winchester has got a lot better in the last year or so having got some experienced staff in from rival brands).

The only town in Britain with Caesar's name

Tesla Info Thread.

In my mind as some have said there are already on occasions you have to wait to get on a charger, by opening this up to other manufacturers it is only going to make things worse, therefore devaluating the attraction of purchasing a Tesla where they have the best EV charging setup.

I have also used the public charing network with very mixed results and wouldn’t have an EV unless it was a Tesla.

B
    Last edited by bomberman; 26th May 2022 at 05:45.

Craftsman
    Been keeping an eye on this thread for a while but looking at Audi E-Tron, Jaguar I-Pace and Tesla Model 3. Quite fancy myself a Tesla but how is everybody getting on with theirs and would you recommend? Not sure what colour either...

Sat in Cambridge, only four cars here, but one is an I Pace taking up two bays to charge.

Master
    Sat in Cambridge, only four cars here, but one is an I Pace taking up two bays to charge.
    So, still only 7 of the 12 bays available eh! :-)

Think of the price the I-Pace is paying, helping to fund more Superchargers or to keep the price down for Tesla’s…

So, still only 7 of the 12 bays available eh! :-)

Think of the price the I-Pace is paying, helping to fund more Superchargers or to keep the price down for Tesla’s…
    Great if true but in reality Elon is milking the lot of us.

Blog Entries
    Kings Lynn twice over the weekend and only one other each time.

Charge was rank at 70 tops. GridServe on the way home again only one other but 130 which was nice.

Pitch

Ah, Taycans superchargers you say?

Quote Originally Posted by mrsammyp View Post
    Been keeping an eye on this thread for a while but looking at Audi E-Tron, Jaguar I-Pace and Tesla Model 3. Quite fancy myself a Tesla but how is everybody getting on with theirs and would you recommend? Not sure what colour either...
    Blue is best.

We are a 3 car household, should be 2, but we let the nanny have the 3rd car and have never got round to selling it.

Before the Tesla we had my car, a GLC 43 AMG and a Yaris for the wife (was a new nervous driver and wanted something small). Once the missus decided she wanted an upgrade we looked around for EVs. To be honest, after test driving a few, the decision wasn't even close. The drive, ease and availability meant there wasn't another car we wanted. We have the Model 3 Long Range with the acceleration boost enabled.

After about half a year of driving it I'd say the following:

Once you've had the Tesla drive train experience for a few weeks you don't want to go back to a petrol engine. Even my 380HP AMG is an unresponsive pile of crap in comparison. Honestly it feels like driving a tractor. I now get texts from the GLC telling me my starter battery is dying because since we got the Tesla it hardly moves.

The Tesla isn't as good as somethings that I've taken for granted in the GLC. 360 view, automatic headlights that work and automatic windscreen wipers that don't got mental for no reason. Early on, I thought the Tesla was less comfortable, but I'm not sure I believe that anymore. I certainly don't even notice the lower driving position.

Charging is a doddle. Range anxiety has yet to hit me. I get over 300 miles easily on motorways in the warmer weather. In winter however, I used to heat the car up before going in and do the short school run - that meant around a 100 miles on a charge. With electricity going up the winter cost is probably as high as the GLC, but in summer the GCL is twice the price at least. With more electricity rises on the way, the maths might not be the #1 reason to change.

Most of my initial reservations are gone - I'm installing another unit on my house on Skye so I can use it for longer journeys there too. I'd get the same again in heartbeat.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post

That’s ruthless, I’d be scared of getting keyed

I’m changing employers in a couple of months and moving to an EV charging company, as such I’ve just ordered a Tesla Model 3 Performance. Gone for blue with white interior and enhanced autopilot. This will be my first EV and partly chose it as the lead times appear to be considerably shorter than every other manufacturer.

Bloody Muggles!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Bloody Muggles!
    That’s a strange one, doesn’t even appear to be plugged in.

Mind you, it’s parked weirdly due to the charge port location, but at least it’s on the end of the row of chargers and therefore not blocking it, apart from as I say not being plugged in.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex L View Post
    I’m changing employers in a couple of months and moving to an EV charging company, as such I’ve just ordered a Tesla Model 3 Performance. Gone for blue with white interior and enhanced autopilot. This will be my first EV and partly chose it as the lead times appear to be considerably shorter than every other manufacturer.
    You will not be disappointed. 21 months in and the white is still like new and the torque remains crazy..

Pitch

The opinion of my brother who took the photo was that the driver was probably with the driver of the Tesla next to it. He thought that it was parked like that to prevent the chargers being used and thus slowing down his mate’s charge rate.

Master
    The opinion of my brother who took the photo was that the driver was probably with the driver of the Tesla next to it. He thought that it was parked like that to prevent the chargers being used and thus slowing down his mate’s charge rate.
    Could be, looks like a V2 charge site where the chargers are still paired I believe.

Having a charger blocked by a mate is as selfish an action as anything to be honest, and people worry about third party cars at the Tesla trial sites?! :-D

Quote Originally Posted by Pitch3110 View Post
    You will not be disappointed. 21 months in and the white is still like new and the torque remains crazy..

Pitch
    I hope so, I test drove a Model Y (which wasn't for me as I don't need the extra space) and a 2019 Performance. Luckily I've negotiated that my employer picks up the bill for the car and fully expenses it as I'll be travelling up and down the country. Hopefully not too long to wait as I'll have to hire something between handing my existing company car back when I leave my current job in mid August.

A white interior isn't my first choice but I'm not a fan of black either. My current car has a tan leather interior which really lifts it.

Journeyman
    Quick question folks.. test drove a Y today. Coming from an X5 the cabin was quite creaky, is that normal or just an abused loaner? Pretty impressed with the mid range punch, eg 20-60.. even for the normal LR… not sure you need much more power..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkeeboy View Post
    Quick question folks.. test drove a Y today. Coming from an X5 the cabin was quite creaky, is that normal or just an abused loaner? Pretty impressed with the mid range punch, eg 20-60.. even for the normal LR… not sure you need much more power..

Whilst I find the Tesla cabin design quite pleasant, small text on the big screen apart, they defintely aren’t built to the standard of a BMW.

There are a few odd rattles and creaks on ours, but not constant, so maybe it is a particularly abused one you tested?

Might depend on heavy set you are.

I get creaks from the divers seat against something, I think the centre console, but I'm not a small guy and have the chair quite low. No creaks when my wife is driving.

Cabin isn't going to compare to a BMW.

You're paying for the tech not the build quality, if you want German build quality look at the Taycan but you'll pay twice the price

However I've had a Model 3 performance for 21 months and it doesn't creak or rattle

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
    You're paying for the tech not the build quality, if you want German build quality look at the Taycan but you'll pay twice the price

However I've had a Model 3 performance for 21 months and it doesn't creak or rattle
    100%

20 years of new BMW and Audi’s and now 21 months with a Model 3 Performance with no rattling interior.

Could not be happier

Pitch

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post

Thing is, the ‘tech’ is rapidly being caught and overtaken now.

Tesla have great batteries and motors, strong performance, the software is ‘update and fix fast’, but I think the huge screen only UI is a weak point.

Things like HUDs, wireless CarPlay or AndroidAuto are some glaring omissions now.

Sure, a fart cushion app is great if you’re age 9 (my daughter still finds it hilarious after 16 months), but vehicles like the BMW i4 have crept up and have the build quality to go with the ‘tech’ as well. Other cars have plug and charge if not now, then soon, navigation via chargers is no longer just a Tesla thing, and as for charging speeds, check out the Kia EV6 or Audi e-tron.

Tesla still make some fantastic EVs but I think they’re resting on their laurels a bit now, even the USP of the charging network is diminishing with it being gradually opened up to all.

I still really like our Tesla, ride aside, and they’ve been pathfinders for the EV car industry, but the cult of Tesla does blind some people.

It’s great there is now proper competition in the still rarified £50k+ car space, because let’s face it most people can’t or won’t spend that much on a car.

The real EV revolution needs to be happening at lower price points, but for some reason in EV land we still compare all EVs, even cheap ones, to the higher priced variants so are often disappointing. On EV forums, answers to the question ‘should I get the Nissan Leaf or Kia e-Niro are often met with ‘get the Model Y’ ignoring the extra £20k/increased payments you need to find.

Something we never seem to do in the ICE world.
    Last edited by Tooks; 17th June 2022 at 17:13.

Thing is, the ‘tech’ is rapidly being caught and overtaken now.

Tesla have great batteries and motors, strong performance, the software is ‘update and fix fast’, but I think the huge screen only UI is a weak point.

Things like HUDs, wireless CarPlay or AndroidAuto are some glaring omissions now.

Sure, a fart cushion app is great if you’re age 9 (my daughter still finds it hilarious after 16 months), but vehicles like the BMW i4 have crept up and have the build quality to go with the ‘tech’ as well. Other cars have plug and charge if not now, then soon, navigation via chargers is no longer just a Tesla thing, and as for charging speeds, check out the Kia EV6 or Audi e-tron.

Tesla still make some fantastic EVs but I think they’re resting on their laurels a bit now, even the USP of the charging network is diminishing with it being gradually opened up to all.

I still really like our Tesla, ride aside, and they’ve been pathfinders for the EV car industry, but the cult of Tesla does blind some people.

It’s great there is now proper competition in the still rarified £50k+ car space, because let’s face it most people can’t or won’t spend that much on a car.

The real EV revolution needs to be happening at lower price points, but for some reason in EV land we still compare all EVs, even cheap ones, to the higher priced variants so are often disappointing. On EV forums, answers to the question ‘should I get the Nissan Leaf or Kia e-Niro are often met with ‘get the Model Y’ ignoring the extra £20k/increased payments you need to find.

Something we never seem to do in the ICE world.
    Android auto is awful, not sure why everyone keeps going on about it

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Master
    Went onto the Tesla site to see the price of the Performance model and saw the list price of the LR has shot up.
    I’ve had mine since December and it’s now £9k more. Mad.
    There’s only a couple of grand between the LR and PM now.
    Hmm….

Master
    I took a model Y for a test drive at the weekend. Very spacious and great performance but some things I really hated:
    -No instrument cluster or HUD, which to me is a safety issue
    -awful visibility out the back window, it needs something like the Jaguar clear sight rear view mirror/camera
    -rubbery seat coverings
    As mentioned above it feels cheap-both in the materials used and the ‘clunk’ when you shut the doors.
    I had hoped it would be my next car when my E-tron goes back but I will need to think again. Although it’s a few years old design now I am tempted to get an I-pace this time.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by stuie-t View Post
    I took a model Y for a test drive at the weekend. Very spacious and great performance but some things I really hated:
    -No instrument cluster or HUD, which to me is a safety issue
    -awful visibility out the back window, it needs something like the Jaguar clear sight rear view mirror/camera
    -rubbery seat coverings
    As mentioned above it feels cheap-both in the materials used and the ‘clunk’ when you shut the doors.
    I had hoped it would be my next car when my E-tron goes back but I will need to think again. Although it’s a few years old design now I am tempted to get an I-pace this time.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    You wouldn’t regret the I-Pace!

Journeyman
    Does anyone have recommendations for sensibly prices t3 insurance? Friend of mine, 45, good history, based in Cotswolds has struggled to find anything less than £1,500!!

Does anyone have recommendations for sensibly prices t3 insurance? Friend of mine, 45, good history, based in Cotswolds has struggled to find anything less than £1,500!!

Peugeot insurance. Think a few of us went with them. Oddly cheap.

Journeyman

Tesla Info Thread.

Thanks! However their site rejects any non Peugeot cars!

Last edited by Darkeeboy; 7th July 2022 at 21:51.

Direct Line worked for me - AXA refused to cover any Teslas.

Thanks! However their site rejects any non Peugeot cars!

Weird. Maybe give them a call?

https://insurance.peugeot.co.uk/