closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Any Heated Window Experts?

Master

Any Heated Window Experts?

Since the weather has got colder, I've noticed that the heated rear screen on my car only seems to work at the lower section. First 4 bars or so are clear but above that nothing seems to be happening. Can't say I noticed this when buying it (but it was July so can't really blame anyone) On a close inspection, I found what looks like an area of missing conductor element on the first non functional row and you can feel the missing section with a finger. Pics below (it had just rained when I took them hence all the water marks!)

There seems to be "repair kits" for this sort of thing online, does anyone have experience of using them and them working? Obviously replacing the window is an (expensive) options but anyone aware of other repair methods?

Thanks in advance

The kits work. It is just a conductive lacquer that bridges the damage. you may have to rub down the ends of the existing filament to get conductivity.

You could probably make your own with clear nail varnish and fine iron filings or foil.

I'd use silver conductive paint, made for PCB track repair https://uk.farnell.com/electrolube/s...r-3g/dp/725614 unless the kits are very cheap.

Doubt nail varnish/iron filings would work TBH - poor conductor (iron likely to be surface oxidised) and the dry varnish will coat each 'filing'.

Master
    I had that with a rover 220 and repaired it with that metal paint but it never worked and I ended up having a new rear screen

Master
    Thanks, will probably give the repair a try, the kits seem to be about £10, Autoglass are quoting £850 for a replacement rear windscreen....

Blog Entries
    Who wants to see where you’ve been…? Get over it
    Last edited by Wolfie; 4th December 2021 at 22:07.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Halfords sell a small bottle of the stuff. Worked well in the past! Here you go

https://www.halfords.com/motoring/pa...ir-190363.html

Jim
    Last edited by Jimmcb; 4th December 2021 at 22:35.

The orange you can see from the inside is a protective coating so as pointed out earlier you’ll have to expose some of the actual wire before trying the repair.

Told the dealer when I had my car serviced the last time that the two top lines of the heated windscreen were not clearing.
    Thats because they are the radio aerial came the reply.
    OK leaned something new.

I have used the repair kit on my old c1 works fine best to put some masking tape on underneath the orange line leave it on for a few days I had three lines that broke

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    Who wants to see where you’ve been…? Get over it
    I now have a great image of you driving around shouting 'eat my fumes' at everyone behind you!