closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Replicas

Master

Replicas

Caught up with a pal of mine in the week and said to him that’s a nice piece you have looking at his new navitimer and he said it’s not real!!!

On closer inspection I looked and it was really hard to tell I’m no expert but given that I used to have an 01 I was bamboozled by the quality and all for the sum of £120

he went on to say he has been buying replica pieces for a while and he’s recently picked up a deepsea so I said I’d pop round to look at it next to mine

The writing and the pip being the main difference for me but I mean unless you really looked it would be hard to tell and certainly not from afar for me anyway

I really was shocked and somewhat concerned by how good they are nowadays

Scary

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by R0bertb00th; 5th December 2021 at 12:48.

The first picture is night and day for me.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kippax View Post
    The first picture is night and day for me.

Precisey that was the point I was making unless yoh looked you wouldn’t really know unless you are clues up which the masses and myself clearly aren’t

They aren’t replicas, they are fakes.

Quote Originally Posted by R0bertb00th View Post
    Caught up with a pal of mine in the week and said to him that’s a nice piece you have looking at his new navitimer and he said it’s not real!!!

On closer inspection I looked and it was really hard to tell I’m no expert but given that I used to have an 01 I was bamboozled by the quality and all for the sum of £120

he went on to say he has been buying replica pieces for a while and he’s recently picked up a deepsea so I said I’d pop round to look at it next to mine

The writing being the main difference there wasn’t a lot else I mean unless you really looked it would be hard to tell

Scary
    I really hope you were careful to bring the right one home!!

Quote Originally Posted by Barton Red View Post
    They aren’t replicas, they are fakes.
    They are by definition replicas, but the terms are not mutually exclusive so they are also fakes.

I think we all know that there are fakes that can easily deceive all but an expert.

My takes homes would be:

If you are buying pre-owned you really need to go to a dealer that knows what they are doing. The likes of eBay, without their authentication service, or Instagram sellers is fraught with risk. I can only imagine the pain of buying a watch you thought was genuine then seeing it confiscated at service time.

Luxury watches are quite a personal pleasure. You might see what you think is a Hulk or Cameron on a wrist, but these could easily be faked and I certainly couldn’t tell, at least not at a glance. I pay little attention to what anyone else appears to have.

Dave

As above, your terminology is way off; it's a fake, plain and simple - and illegal to manufacture and sell. Your friend sees nothing wrong in supporting criminals?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    As above, your terminology is way off; it's a fake, plain and simple - and illegal to manufacture and sell. Your friend sees nothing wrong in supporting criminals?

Half the country seem to be happy voting Tory so I wouldn't worry too much about that side of things.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by R0bertb00th View Post

The writing being the main difference there wasn’t a lot else I mean unless you really looked it would be hard to tell

Scary

Fake on the left ?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    [/B]

Half the country seem to be happy voting Tory so I wouldn't worry too much about that side of things.
    Only half? Fakes are scary!!!

Quote Originally Posted by joe narvey View Post
    Fake on the left ?
    Small photo but the date window gives it away

Sent from my SM-G996B using Tapatalk

Fake on the left , I would hope that Rolex doesn’t do a bezel pip that bad, you should take it off him and crush it ,your friend sounds like either a tight arse or a wannabe

Journeyman
    Yeah they’re the things that drew my eye- date wheel text and bezel pip. Horrible fake, for lots of reasons not my cup of tea. In my view that £120 could be much better spent on something honest.

Master
    It's easy to see the differences side by side, but in isolation it would be more difficult. Just imho

Sent from my Nokia 1.4 using Tapatalk

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Movement sound, winding, date change.

Is your ‘mate’ desperate for approval from some non-existent group of peers who place kudos and value on fake wrist jewellery?

Even before I got into watches, I could never understand the desire to own a cheap approximation of the real thing. It’s tragic and if you follow the chain of fake manufacturing, it becomes even more tragic.

Have a word with him.

How did your pal take your offer to destroy his fakes in front of him?
    F.T.F.A.

Quote Originally Posted by Robsmck View Post
    It's easy to see the differences side by side, but in isolation it would be more difficult. Just imho

Sent from my Nokia 1.4 using Tapatalk
    There's a lot of info on YT on what to look for that'll help with spotting the fakes 'tells'. This one for example:

(The visual comparisons start at 7.50 minutes in).

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Only last week a colleague commented that it was pointless buying/wearing a Rolex 'around here because everyone assumes it's fake". Told him it was a lot more hazardous wearing Rolex in London...

My biggest question is why do people buy them?

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by AmosMoses View Post

It's not difficult.

That clasp is horrendous.

One ex mate of mine used to wear fake Rolex, I had doubts about his character and the fake watches dropped inline with these doubts, in the end he showed his real colours and and my gut feeling was right..

This is a rather cheap replica. More expensive ones get it almost right. Almost.
    I am surprised people can’t seem to see the attraction of replicas. It is sad but is very easy to understand why people go for fakes.

It’s what they call in the trade a ‘Kibble’

That's a very poor/cheap example, and easily identified. However, the real risk is in the better quality fakes, which can fool even a relative expert.

We should all have a zero tolerance policy wrt these fakes.
    They are criminal, and buying them supports criminal enterprise, just like buying drugs funds misery and murder.
    Who cares how close to the original they are?

Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    We should all have a zero tolerance policy wrt these fakes.
    They are criminal, and buying them supports criminal enterprise, just like buying drugs funds misery and murder.
    Who cares how close to the original they are?
    Because the closer to the real thing they are the more easily they can passed off as genuine, thereby finding their way into the watch community.

Agree in principle with what you say, though.

Master

Because they are cheap bums without a care over the criminal element it creates and all they want to do is to look good to boost their low self esteem. That applies from watches to T shirts. In watch circles another bad thing is cheap leather straps. Any strap that is imported via import/export procedures has been made under slave labour and no one gives a damn. Of course the seller and the wearer do ok out of it.

Craftsman
    It’s like people accept them as ok .
    Bloody things.

Paging DJ Chris; DJ Chris to the ' Fakes' thread please.
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

I'll openly admit that without the side by side comparison, it would be very difficult for me to tell from a photograph. And even less so from 6 feet on a wrist. As for why people buy them, I can only assume that anyone who asks that is being disingenuous.

Anyone who buys a significant piece from anywhere other than a reliable source is playing a very dangerous game. Box and papers mean little. If they can fake a watch, box and papers are a breeze, and there's always the possibility that the box and papers are real but the watch isn't, having already been sold loose.

I must admit to being intrigued by high end fakes.

There are certain watches I would never even dream of buying but I'm fascinated by the fact that near perfect fakes are available for them.
    I don't think I'd like to own something that takes just as much looking after as the real thing, knowing it was a fake with deliberate inaccuracies.

Not looking for a 1to1 either, just fascinated by someone who would spend upwards of a grand on fake.

I'd like to see one up close, but damned if I'd part with money for one.

Craftsman
    I was in Dubai las weekend and was amazed at the quality of the fakes/replicas out there. They were not cheap, with some being well over £1000.00. For that sort of money you could buy a decent legitimate watch. There were an awful lot of people wearing PP5712s though.

Grand Master
    The Rolex market has become almost surreal over the past 10 years, initially the prices started to rise rapidly to a point where any sense of ‘value for money’ went out of the window. In recent years demand has, against all odds, outstripped supply, these overpriced trinkets are now hard to source and consequently the second- hand stuff and more mundane models are fetching daft money.

Against a backcloth of increased demand and high prices its little wonder that superfakes have emerged. Setting the moral/ethical questions aside its no surprise that plenty of people will buy a decent quality replica, they get a watch that looks, feels and wears like the real McCoy for a price they can afford. Even for those who can afford the list price the lack of availability might drive them towards owning a replica.

I see a parallel between the wealthier ‘must have one’ guy who spends well over list price with a grey dealer to own the Rolex of his desire, thus making his life more fulfilled, and the less wealthy who can’t afford the real McCoy but still has the ‘must have one’ obsession. This guy simply buys a replica and he’s addressed the same lack of fulfilment in his life. This might make some Rolex owners uncomfortable but the ‘must gave one’ urge has been fuelled by similar motives. The guy who chooses the replica either can’t afford the inflated price of the real thing or he decides he can scratch his itch for a fraction of the price. He also has less concern for the watch getting damaged or nicked.

The folks who pay through the nose to own the genuine items despise the folks who buy replicas, who in turn sneer at the idiots who pay daft money to own the genuine item. The uncomfortable truth is the fact that they’ve more in common than they realise, I can guess which group will be more pissed off by this and I find that amusing!

To clarify, I’ve no wish to own a replica Rolex and no wish to pay silly money for a real one.......I don’t feel the need for either in my life and that pleases me.

Quote Originally Posted by Jdh1 View Post
    As for why people buy them, I can only assume that anyone who asks that is being disingenuous.
    They are available to buy I suppose, unlike the real thing!

Master
    I note that there have been one or two predictable responses to your question, but of course there will be different motives for different buyers. There is an active replica community where people share pics of their acquisitions, much as we do here with real ones, so clearly they aren't trying to fool anyone. Some people just enjoy them as a way to have a close facsimile of a watch they like with exactly the same aesthetics until you get a loupe out, that's decently reliable and accurate, and costs a very small fraction of the price. It's pretty obvious, isn't it?

I have a few. I like them; I enjoy them. The last one I bought, a few years ago, was a Speedy replica. Just put a new battery in it a couple of weeks ago! I was taken by the white dial, and the quartz microstepper second hand is cute. But if I had a low self esteem to massage or I need to impress someone, I could easily put a genuine Speedy on, or an IWC, or a Rolex. It's not uncommon for people with nice genuine watches to dabble in replicas.

Master
    Thanks for that monogroover. Ze list beckons.

Replicas?

Even fakes is rather easy going.

Why not call them counterfeits, which they are?

Fake watch wearers = cheesemongery at its finest.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Why would anyone spend decent cash on a watch that the seller will not stand by, and indeed cannot stand by, and that is effectively unrepairable, as any watchmaker wouldn't touch it.?
    What's the point when the micro-brand arena can offer you a great watch with a very impressive specification for the same money, and they guarantee their products.
    The net is awash with pictures of people who have dropped their fake Sub only to have all the indices gather at the bottom of the dial, because they are merely glued on.
    All this doesn't even begin to address the criminal element, no fakers have any excuse for funding criminals.
    Would you give £100 to a mugger for a stolen watch, so that he can go and do it again?
    Why give the same, or more, to a faker?
    It is impossible to justify, on any basis.

^ This.
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Master
    I dont't see a problem here.

I would totally buy fake Rolex, but only....

if I had to wait at least five years to receive it.

Master
    The knock-off watch looks solid enough but that lume pip...
    Do you think the rest off the helmets in the fake-factory feel bad that they let the blind kid put the finishing touch on their counterfeit masterpiece? I bet he gets bullied a lot.

I hate fake watches. I get asked almost daily to alter bracelets, fit batteries or "just glue that hand back on... the one floating around inside the case. Go on, it's a 5 minute job". My offer rarely varies from the (generous) offer of free disposal or the request to kindly Foxtrot Oscar.
    I never really used to be offended by them, mainly because they were all crap and quite obvious, bought from the beach vendor in Turkey or wherever, but there can be no doubt that they are now being produced only to deceive.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by matt View Post
    I dont't see a problem here.

I would totally buy fake Rolex, but only....

if I had to wait at least five years to receive it.

They withhold the box and papers on high end counterfeits for 12 months to prevent profiteering. True story.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    Because they are cheap bums without a care over the criminal element it creates and all they want to do is to look good to boost their low self esteem. That applies from watches to T shirts. In watch circles another bad thing is cheap leather straps. Any strap that is imported via import/export procedures has been made under slave labour and no one gives a damn. Of course the seller and the wearer do ok out of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by monogroover View Post
    I note that there have been one or two predictable responses to your question, but of course there will be different motives for different buyers. There is an active replica community where people share pics of their acquisitions, much as we do here with real ones, so clearly they aren't trying to fool anyone. Some people just enjoy them as a way to have a close facsimile of a watch they like with exactly the same aesthetics until you get a loupe out, that's decently reliable and accurate, and costs a very small fraction of the price. It's pretty obvious, isn't it?

I have a few. I like them; I enjoy them. The last one I bought, a few years ago, was a Speedy replica. Just put a new battery in it a couple of weeks ago! I was taken by the white dial, and the quartz microstepper second hand is cute. But if I had a low self esteem to massage or I need to impress someone, I could easily put a genuine Speedy on, or an IWC, or a Rolex. It's not uncommon for people with nice genuine watches to dabble in replicas.
    Good honest comment

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    What's the point when the micro-brand arena can offer you a great watch with a very impressive specification for the same money, and they guarantee their products.
    And then you have the intriguing case of Ginault and their claimed link to both camps.....

Sent from my CLT-L09 using TZ-UK mobile app

I have a few. I like them; I enjoy them. ... It's not uncommon for people with nice genuine watches to dabble in replicas.
    Not my experience at all, I don't know anyone who would buy one, and neither would I. But, good to know to avoid your SC sales in future.

I just don’t get what if any enjoyment you get from a watch that is pretending to be something else, it’s a nothing item, something made to look like an Omega but other than that it has no link to any company on the planet.

The self esteem quote is accurate to me as I would be truly embarrassed to be seen wearing a fake watch, I would much prefer to wear an equivalent value Casio and know that I’m not faking it.

I agree on all counts about the criminality behind them but even if you can blinker that away have some self respect..

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    This is a rather cheap replica. More expensive ones get it almost right. Almost.
    I am surprised people can’t seem to see the attraction of replicas. It is sad but is very easy to understand why people go for fakes.
    Because it’s fraud. If anyone else had the nerve to post that with your history they’d be lynched. Why you get such a pass and others don’t is beyond me. I’m done here; I left last time for similar reasons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Balance wheel View Post
    Fake on the left , I would hope that Rolex doesn’t do a bezel pip that bad, you should take it off him and crush it ,your friend sounds like either a tight arse or a wannabe
    I agree it looks like a bit of snot compared with the real one

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    Replicas?
    Anyone who uses that word is a wrong ‘un.