closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mission Possible - 14 Peaks

Quote Originally Posted by John Wall View Post
    Jason Fox has an interview with Nims on his Wildtales podcast series.
    Nims was the first Gurka to go to Poole instead of Hereford.

Worth a listen,
    You just have to try and ignore how many times Foxy says “…mate”
    https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcas...=1000496273344

Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    Alpha it’s available on YouTube, just search 14 peaks
    You're a gentlemen, H.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    Indeed.

I'm genuinely speechless.

Whenever I'm feeling a bit low and lacking energy, I watch footage of climbers at the Bottleneck. It's a hideous killing field of a couloir with overhanging seracs the size of houses.

A few minutes of watching them traverse such danger and whatever I'm doing seems easier.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyp1973 View Post
    I get that bit. That however should be no reason and he also served in our armed forces.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The BBC provided good coverage of this challenge during the build up and at the start. It was their coverage that got me following him on Instagram.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaOmega View Post
    I'm genuinely speechless.

Whenever I'm feeling a bit low and lacking energy, I watch footage of climbers at the Bottleneck. It's a hideous killing field of a couloir with overhanging seracs the size of houses.

A few minutes of watching them traverse such danger and whatever I'm doing seems easier.
    I remember seeing a picture of them back in Islamabad, the whole team looked absolutely broken. That K2 climb took its toll on the team and amazing they all made the top and no injuries.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Not seen this yet but watched a mountaineering documentary the other night (can't remember what it's called) about a family who's mum died descending Everest. Very immersive and sad.

Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    I remember seeing a picture of them back in Islamabad, the whole team looked absolutely broken. That K2 climb took its toll on the team and amazing they all made the top and no injuries.
    I hadn't realised quite how much coverage the BBC gives to 'mountaineering'. Amongst many other articles I found these (containing videos of interest):

Quote Originally Posted by sprite1275 View Post
    Not seen this yet but watched a mountaineering documentary the other night (can't remember what it's called) about a family who's mum died descending Everest. Very immersive and sad.
    Maybe The Last Mountain?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by sprite1275 View Post
    That would be Alison Hargreaves. Her son featured in The Last Mountain, I think, he died attempting a new route. Very poignant all round.

Alison Hargreaves died on K2, Tom Ballard on Nanga Parbat. The Last Mountain is very moving, particularly the interactions between Kate Ballard and Ibrahim the high-altitude porter who accompanied her on the pilgrimage to the base camps of the mountains her mum and brother perished on, a quarter of a century apart.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

“Better to have lived one day as a Tiger than a thousand years as a sheep”

I think the difficulty is that you can live a few days as a tiger and then have years as a sheep. That can lead to stress and dissatisfaction with life.

Possibly it makes more sense not to mix them.

Either be a sheep or a tiger, not both in one lifetime.

Master
    Interested to know what the stance is re paper Tigers or Tiger Moths?

It’s a Tibetan proverb that was quoted by Alison Hargreaves’s husband after her death and was engraved on her memorial stone.

Just watched it on Netflix, absolutely incredible documentary.
    My take on it was just how astonishing the clarity of the picture was and what the calibre of our countries special forces must be if he’s an example.
    This chap is nothing short of a superman. Hard to take in.
    Watch it.

Master
    I watched this on Netflix. Nims is an absolute warrior. I love the fact he wouldn’t let the Chinese closure of the Mountain in Tibet to dampen his spirits and his desire to climb all 14. What an incredible achievement. The photograph he took at the top of Everest with all the traffic of people trying to reach the summit was alarming. My Great Grandad served with the Gurkhas, so it was quite poignant for me.
    Last edited by neebsta; 22nd December 2021 at 17:46.

Blog Entries
    I've just watched it. A very impressive feat indeed.

z

Watched this over the break - absolutely terrific and certainly could have sat through more. I imagine there must be quite a bit of GoPro footage however how much is of a standard that could find itself into a professional edit might be a bit trickier. Can't say I've ever been much of a Bremont fan but full kudos to them for getting behind this - I actually quite like the Project Possible watch, especially on that zulu.

Quote Originally Posted by casbar View Post
    A very good documentary. He is an outstanding athlete. But considering he served as a Gurkha he has got a chip on his shoulder about westerners :)
    The only one who appears to have a chip on his shoulder is you.
    Last edited by Carlton-Browne; 4th January 2022 at 19:33.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Craftsman
    Enjoyed this documentary. I have no interest in mountaineering, but I really enjoy programmes where people push there bodies and minds to the limit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My son recommended this film to me. I enjoyed it to a point and the photography was amazing.

However I would have liked far more info on who plans the routes and the technical challenges of the climbs. The camera would spend several minute filming drinking and base camp and 15 seconds on the climb and they were at the summit. Also no explanation as to all the helicopter trips and how far up the mountain they started. 8000 meters above sea level is a lot. But if base camp is 7000 above them not so much !

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app