closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mission Possible - 14 Peaks

Mission Possible - 14 Peaks

I watched this on Netflix the other day & recommend it to anyone with a remote interest in mountaineering, or any form of extreme human endeavour.

Nims Purja is Nepalese mountaineer who seeks out to climbing fourteen of the world’s 8,000m high mountains in just 7 months during 2019. It's was just an almost unbelievable thing to try. The previous record was 7 years.

The film is really good, but if anything, it doesn't quite do justice to the achievement. He climbed Everest, Lhotse and Makalu in just 48 hours!

Bremont were key sponsors.

In 2021, Nims Purja & his team were first summit K2 in winter. Nims was the only one to do so without supplemental oxygen & is I believe the only person ever to have achieved that regardless of the time of year.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Master
    No interest here in climbing but absolutely fantastic watch
    Absolutely amazed by his climbs
    At home I’ve many Nepalese/ Gurkha neighbours for many years home to the Gurkha rifle regiment
    Last edited by lewie; 3rd December 2021 at 17:20.

Craftsman
    I definitely agree that it doesn't do justice to the achievement.
    It's an incredible film don't get me wrong but the achievement is truly mind blowing.
    I wish they had done it as a series but maybe they weren't able to get so much footage given the difficult filming location etc.
    I can't believe I had never heard of this before watching the documentary. Hopefully the doc will work its magic and the appropriate appreciation will be given in due course.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    A very good documentary. He is an outstanding athlete. But considering he served as a Gurkha he has got a chip on his shoulder about westerners :)

Watched it last night, superman comes to mind,

Superb watch, they must be made of steel to do that

Sent from my SM-G988B using TZ-UK mobile app

K2 at any time is a roll of the dice.

If we got a TZ team of five together, on average one wouldn't come back.

K2 in winter is just such an amazing feat that I can barely believe it. Incredible.

I also enjoyed watching this film but like others came away disappointed. Each climb could have been an hour long episode (or more) with explanations of the routes taken, preparation and comparisons with the time usually taken to climb those peaks.

He and his team are clearly highly skilled, determined, physically fit and ambitious. Their success and achievements are outstanding.

I should finish by saying that I regularly poo-poo Bremont but here they did well sponsoring the team.
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post
    I also enjoyed watching this film but like others came away disappointed. Each climb could have been an hour long episode (or more) with explanations of the routes taken, preparation and comparisons with the time usually taken to climb those peaks.

He and his team are clearly highly skilled, determined, physically fit and ambitious. Their success and achievements are outstanding.

I should finish by saying that I regularly poo-poo Bremont but here they did well sponsoring the team.
    I was also a little disappointed - I followed Nims through his epic adventure and feel the movie was a bit rushed. The 14 8kers is a LOT to get through and wish we had more time to enjoy some of them. Oh well, I understand why it had to be in one movie.

He's probably a little crazy and clearly gifted physically, but I do like his philosophy to showcase Nepalese climbers.

I’ve got it on now. Incredible stuff. Unless I missed it at the time I can’t understand why it wasn’t all over the news.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by casbar View Post
    A very good documentary. He is an outstanding athlete. But considering he served as a Gurkha he has got a chip on his shoulder about westerners :)
    Perhaps you should consider that Westerners have an arrogance and Nims just addressing the balance with recognition of Nepalese who have always enabled Western Mountainers to have the glory whilst they remain nameless
    RIAC

Master
    3 sister mountains to Everest, 48 hours up and down all 3 , staggering! That queue to the top of Everest puts the queues for Snowdon into context.

Great film thanks Andy for making us aware

Master
    Coincidentally I watched this last night. Hats off to Nims and his oppos. Impressive achievements. Inspiring drive and commitment, and fitness.

Amazing scenery as well.

Also, kudos to Bremont for their support of this and similar activities. I spent a few hours browsing Bremonts in a quest to support them for this. Alas, I couldn't pull the trigger. Fortunately Panerai and Blancpain also support amazing endeavours, so I can rest easy. I did spot Mike Horn (long time Panerai backed adventurer) supporting Nims in the documentary.

I watched it the other day and while it’s great, I felt like the movie doesn’t quite show how (impossible) difficult that achievement was.
    Well done Nims and the team.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post

In 2021, Nims Purja & his team were first summit K2 in winter. Nims was the only one to do so without supplemental oxygen & is I believe the only person ever to have achieved that regardless of the time of year.
    I think a few have. I’m sure my cousin has done K2 and Everest without supplemental oxygen.

Watched this today,agreed it could of been longer,amazing guy ,he was trying to break records but still found the time to rescue others.
    I have no idea what a Sherpa gets paid ,but I’d guess it’s not even minimum wage over here,the risks they take ,taking tourists up Everest,the picture of all the people up there was crazy,it’s probably more dangerous now than it was years ago .

Grand Master
    Climbing Everest used to be a physical challenge. Now its more of a financial one!!

RIAC

Watched it today off the back of this thread - fantastic achievement although I agree with comments that the documentary skims over the individual climbs far too quickly.

Still - so many records broken and 3 of the highest peaks in 49 hours... phenomenal

Master
    Just watched it too. Awe-inspiring stuff, was glued to it throughout.

Master
    Yes, I watched it after a recommendation on the Grey NATO podcast. Excellent study of an amazing character.

Enjoyed it, but nowhere near enough detail. As others have said, may have worked better as a series?

Dawn wall and free solo were far more detailed and gave a better impression of the achievements.

Surprised to see Mark Webber was an executive producer!

Quote Originally Posted by stevieb View Post
    I think a few have. I’m sure my cousin has done K2 and Everest without supplemental oxygen.
    Reinhold Messner was the first to have climbed all 14 peaks >8,000 meters from 1970 to 1986. He did not use supplemental oxygen for any of these climbs.
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    Reinhold Messner was the first to have climbed all 14 peaks >8,000 meters from 1970 to 1986. He did not use supplemental oxygen for any of these climbs.
    I doubt anyone could do it without oxygen in that time scale ,would the body recover quick enough for the next climb .

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyp1973 View Post
    I’ve got it on now. Incredible stuff. Unless I missed it at the time I can’t understand why it wasn’t all over the news.

Because he isn’t British? Enjoyed that a lot, great recommendation that I would have otherwise missed.

Quote Originally Posted by Maris View Post
    Because he isn’t British? Enjoyed that a lot, great recommendation that I would have otherwise missed.
    I get that bit. That however should be no reason and he also served in our armed forces.

Last edited by Andyp1973; 5th December 2021 at 20:47.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    Climbing Everest used to be a physical challenge. Now its more of a financial one!!

Yes because of the Sherpa teams doing all the work.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by stevieb View Post
    Perhaps first winter ascent without oxygen?
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Yes, Messner was there in July.

But he did it in a time without high tech and also most of them on new routes that he found, plus some of them on his own.
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Craftsman
    Great recommendation and what an inspirational guy.

Nice easy watch and the right length for me.

Master
    Thanks for the recommendation I’ll give it a look.

Those who enjoyed this might like the YouTube series ‘The Fifty’ it’s about climbing and then skiing 50 classic backcountry lines he’s around 35/50 at the moment.

https://skithefifty.com/what-is-the-fifty

Master
    Nims and his team captured the footage themselves on their own cameras (GoPro's mostly) so I think it was fairly impressive they had enough to make a film and sell the rights to Netflix after completing the project.

I watched 14 Peaks this evening. Great achievement and enjoyed the film.

Master
    Just an aside for those who have found this thread but dont have Netflix. Apparently the complete documentary is also on YouTube.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Skier View Post
    I watched 14 Peaks this evening. Great achievement and enjoyed the film.
    Likewise - what an achievement!.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    I watched it last night, as others have said what a feat of human achievement

Craftsman
    No one had done a winter ascent of K2 before Nims, his team is the first. So I guess that's the ultimate record...K2, winter, no oxygen. Never say never, but that would be incredible, given how long it has taken for any successful summit attempt in winter.

Quote Originally Posted by stifflersmom View Post
    No one had done a winter ascent of K2 before Nims, his team is the first. So I guess that's the ultimate record...K2, winter, no oxygen. Never say never, but that would be incredible, given how long it has taken for any successful summit attempt in winter.
    Nimsdai climbed K2 in winter without supplementary oxygen back in January. The rest of the team did use O2, however.

https://kathmandupost.com/national/2...tRJiq-q7AfbimA
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Journeyman
    Watched it last night, cracking film!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    3 sister mountains to Everest, 48 hours up and down all 3 , staggering!
    To put this feat into context, they would have been burning calories at around double the rate of a typical marathon runner. They maintained this energy expenditure rate for 48h!

And that’s before considering the sleep deprivation (nobody sleeps properly at high altitude), probable symptoms from being at high altitude (headache, nausea, etc.), extreme cold, and objective dangers.

Also, kudos to Bremont for backing this venture when most others wouldn’t. Nims’ watch was impressive considering he wore it outside his clothing (subject to extreme cold that could freeze the oils, etc.). Plus, the watch would have been hit during his big tumble, yet continued to work well.

I'm disappointed that some commercial expeditions offer supplementary oxygen from 6,000m. Not so long ago, oxygen was reserved for 8000m and above (as Nims and his team used it in the film). While climbing Everest is still a feat, the use of oxygen from 6,000m changes the game considerably. If you have the money, it seems you can make the ascent significantly less demanding (but it's never easy).
    Last edited by Dougal; 8th December 2021 at 19:48.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    Nimsdai climbed K2 in winter without supplementary oxygen back in January. The rest of the team did use O2, however.

That is incredible, thanks for clarifying. Nims is clearly very driven, I wonder what his next project is?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post

Thanks for that link. Having just watched and enjoyed the film, I came back to the thread to catch up and comment that I too was surprised to find Mark Webber had been an executive producer. I saw his name in the credits and went off to IMDb to check that it wasn't his namesake. Then reading the linked article added some more background to my limited knowledge about mountaineering and the personalities involved.

You cannot bend the physiology with money.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Quote Originally Posted by casbar View Post
    I believe he served in UKSF, specifically SBS.
    I reckon he’s allowed as many chips as he likes.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by watchlovr View Post
    I believe he served in UKSF, specifically SBS.
    I reckon he’s allowed as many chips as he likes.
    It’s also said he turned down a move to the SAS and he quit the service before becoming eligible for his pension.

I don’t see him in any way anti-weston but pro-nepalese, given how key they seem to be in the climbing world there seems little exposure for them.

What?

He did K2 in winter without supplementary O2?

I don't have Netflix so have yet to watch it.

But that is absolutely ridiculously hard. Almost superhuman.

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaOmega View Post
    What?

Indeed.

Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    It’s also said he turned down a move to the SAS and he quit the service before becoming eligible for his pension.

I don’t see him in any way anti-weston but pro-nepalese, given how key they seem to be in the climbing world there seems little exposure for them.
    I just watched it this morning and agree with you that he didn’t come across anti western. He was certainly aiming to (rightly) raise the profile of Nepalese climbers though.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaOmega View Post
    What?

Alpha it’s available on YouTube, just search 14 peaks

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    You cannot bend the physiology with money.
    True. But you can pay for people to do your load carrying (i.e. lots of Sherpa support), fix the ropes for you, break trail for you, and – crucially – provide supplementary oxygen from “lower” down the mountain.

This help makes it significantly easier than it used to be. Once upon a Himalayan time, climbers went on oxygen from 8,000m. Now I hear of people going on oxygen from 6,000m (a helluva difference!). While it’s still a great achievement to summit Everest, it used to be even harder.

This considerable help appears very much focused on Mt Everest, and it contrasts with mountains in the other Greater Ranges. In the Andes, which top out a whisker under 7,000m, climbers have neither oxygen nor Sherpas. They do their own load carrying, etc. It’s food for mountain thought.

Watched this last night, was an amazing project.

What he said is true though, if a westerner had done this it would have been all over the news and easily received sponsorship.

The lack of footage of the actual climbs was a little disappointing but what we did see what remarkable.

Jason Fox has an interview with Nims on his Wildtales podcast series.
    Nims was the first Gurka to go to Poole instead of Hereford.
    He points out how difficult getting sponsorship was because nobody thought it was possible and didn’t want to sponsor someone who died trying to do a ridiculous record attempt.
    He says once the first few peaks were conquered and it looked increasingly like he could actually do it,
    company’s were falling over themselves.

Worth a listen,
    You just have to try and ignore how many times Foxy says “…mate”