closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Help dead LED TV

Master

Help dead LED TV

A friends son has a JVC LED about 18 months old that’s dead
    It powers on for and 2 seconds with the JVC logo then powers off again
    I’ve tried unplugging etc and changed the main board (with the connections on)
    This gave the same issue - I’m now thinking I’ll change the main power board - I can pick a sh one up for £10
    Surly there’s nothing else it can be ?
    Anyone got any experience with this - it’s a nice smart tv with wifi etc - and I do like to ‘tinker’
    Thanks

Is it actually powering off? If it's staying on then its probably some component of the LED backlight that's failed (so the picture may be showing but there is no illumination to display it, if that makes sense).

Sent through the ether by diddling with radio waves

Maybe too late if you've tinkered with it but most electrical goods should have a 2 year warranty.

Master
    It seems to be actually powering off - holding down the power switch on the side will power it back on again showing a red standby light
    I feel they would have trouble getting Currys to sort it in the 1st year let alone after
    Last edited by lewie; 3rd December 2021 at 15:06.

Is it a smart TV and could it be updating software?
    My TV box does that occasionally - just appears to die then after several minutes wakes up.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Stanford View Post
    Is it a smart TV and could it be updating software?
    My TV box does that occasionally - just appears to die then after several minutes wakes up.
    It is but it’s not connected to the network at all

If a proper working board is £10 then it’s cheap enough and worth a chance surely?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by IAmATeaf View Post
    If a proper working board is £10 then it’s cheap enough and worth a chance surely?
    I’ve ordered it earlier so fingers crossed

Could be one or two of the LEDs burnt out. The LEDs are in horizontal strips and if one goes then the TV will cut the power in order to protect from over voltage on the remaining LEDs in that strip.
    I had this on a 40 inch TLC TV, similar powering off issue to yours. I was able to get a replacement led strip and do the job myself.
    Plenty of instructionals on ytube.

Quote Originally Posted by el marinero View Post
    Could be one or two of the LEDs burnt out. The LEDs are in horizontal strips and if one goes then the TV will cut the power in order to protect from over voltage on the remaining LEDs in that strip.
    I had this on a 40 inch TLC TV, similar powering off issue to yours. I was able to get a replacement led strip and do the job myself.
    Plenty of instructionals on ytube.
    Are you talking about the back light LEDs? If so did your TV pulse/flash the screen before switching off?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Maybe too late if you've tinkered with it but most electrical goods should have a 2 year warranty.
    Agree. Retailers (some) try and cling to the old “12 month warranty” but the law doesn’t say that. I’d have thought you’d have a warranty claim although, as K says, if it obvious someone has “had a go”, it’s probably too late.

Are you talking about the back light LEDs? If so did your TV pulse/flash the screen before switching off?
    Sorry, yes, <i mean the backlight LEDs. I don´t think mine pulsed before switching off. There is a trick to seeing if it is the backlight LEDs that is the issue. With power on, shine a strong torch at the screen and you should see an image (TV homescreen or whatever). If no image then it is something else. Good luck!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by el marinero View Post
    Sorry, yes, <i mean the backlight LEDs. I don´t think mine pulsed before switching off. There is a trick to seeing if it is the backlight LEDs that is the issue. With power on, shine a strong torch at the screen and you should see an image (TV homescreen or whatever). If no image then it is something else. Good luck!
    Thanks

Master
    Think you right on the led side - 2nd board replace - same issue - sadly will have to go to land fill I think

If the 2nd board was actually the PSU board then have you tried putting back in the original 1st board that you swapped out in case that is also faulty?

As suggested try shining a torch up close to the screen to see if you can see the logo.

If it is instantly switching off then it would suggest that there might be a short circuit somewhere?

Master
    Yes I can see the tv logo with a torch

So you need to pull the panel apart to get to the back light LEDs, you might be able to buy replacement strips to swap out the faulty ones.

Master
    So you need to pull the panel apart to get to the back light LEDs, you might be able to buy replacement strips to swap out the faulty ones.
    Thanks
    I did watch a couple of YouTube videos but it looks a tad complicated
    Looking at eBay there appears to be only. 2 strips
    I might pop it away until I’m bored after Christmas - thanks all for the help
    Edit
    Nothing on tv tonight
    Untitled by biglewie, on Flickr
    Last edited by lewie; 7th December 2021 at 00:51.

Master
    A little update - in case anyone is interested
    3 x 9v batteries from £shop and some old car audio wire and I’ve found the offending LED

Untitled by biglewie, on Flickr

Good going Paul, is there any chance you could look at my spare one as you seem quite knowledgeable with them :)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTigerUK View Post
    Good going Paul, is there any chance you could look at my spare one as you seem quite knowledgeable with them :)
    John I’m on my way

Master
    Just to finish this tread up
    New led strip installed and tv working - but….. somehow anf I don’t know how as I was extremely careful- the screen is cracked

Oh crap. Could have cracked if it wasn’t in a flat even surface when you took it apart. Did you have to exert any real downwards force when removing the screws holding the screen together?

Master
    No I didn’t think I did but must have - ah well I sort of fixed it
    Thanks for the advice