closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Theoretical broadband speed question

Master

Theoretical broadband speed question

We are moving house shortly and I am struggling on what to do with the broadband.

At the new property there is fibre to the cabinet but not the door. BT, who we are with currently, and are the current provider at the new property, are adamant the maximum speed will be 16-18Mbs. Confusingly, however, their website claims 32Mbs.

I spoke to Plusnet and Sky and each of those are adamant the speed should be between 32 and 56Mbs.

Now, BT say there is no way anyone could provide a service faster than what they suggest.

However the chap at Plusnet claimed that OpenReach provide limited numbers of connection speeds per ISP and perhaps BT had run out of faster ones - which sounds like a load of twaddle to me!

So for now I have gone with BT as it will be the most straight forward to get a service on day one, but have 14 days from move in to cancel and go elsewhere.

Does anyone know what's going on here, is it actually possible for Plusnet and Sky to deliver a much faster service on the same line?

We're coming from a 250Mbs G-Fast service so it's a concern!

I get ~50Mbs with FTC (EE over OpenReach) so higher numbers definitely possible.

After years of woefully slow speeds in our village, BT ran fibre into it and kindly put the DP about 40 feet from my house. I still have copper for the final stage but I get a consistent 40Mbs.

Sent through the ether by diddling with radio waves

Master
    I’d take a look at what zen or andrews and arnold offer as speeds, they tend to be more realistic and better quality providers

andrews and arnold specifically offer a quality of service that allows you to move elsewhere if they can’t provide there stated speeds, they also have a great reputation for getting faults resolved that other isp’s can’t, obviously this level of service come with a cost implication.

Other options are obviously 4/5G wireless depending on local availability, there are already a few threads about that or starlink satellite but that is also a costly option and I belive the deployment is on hold due to chip shortages.

I’m with zen using fttc at ~350m from the cab and get ~56mbs.

FYI, Plusnet are BT.

Quote Originally Posted by SimonH View Post
    We're coming from a 250Mbs G-Fast service so it's a concern!
    What on earth do you do to use 250Mb/s?
    That's roughly ten simultaneous 4K HDR video streams!

Quote Originally Posted by Bravo73 View Post
    FYI, Plusnet are BT.
    Wikipedia: "On 30 January 2007, Plusnet was acquired by BT Group, but it continues to operate as a separate business."

Craftsman
    Speeds are going to be dependent on your distance from the cabinet, speeds will drop off the further you are from it. There might also be a minor drop in speed thanks to contention/bandwidth availability, but generally speaking, I've not noticed much where I am.

I suspect you'd need to be a very long way (maybe 2km) from your nearest cabinet to be seeing speeds as low as 16Mbps, which I think is going to be pretty unlikely, unless you're right out in the boonies.

I'm approximately 300 meters from my cabinet on BT FTTC, and see 50-55Mbps down, 15Mbps up normally.

At the end of the day, providers are all going to be using BT Openreach's infrastructure, I'm a little surprised you're seeing wildly different estimates of speed.

If you have nerdy requirements for your connectivity, I've heard a lot of good things about Andrews & Arnold (https://www.aa.net.uk/), seconding what Captain Morgan said above, and I believe they've simplified the pricing on their home package of late too. Uno https://www.uno.uk/ also come recommended. Although I'm in IT and do sometimes do odd things with networking, I've not really had call to shift from vanilla BT myself.
    Last edited by threescoops; 2nd December 2021 at 15:05.

Master
    Thanks for the feedback, in particular the link to Andrews & Arnold as from there I got the BT wholesale checker which says 40-55Mbs, so why BT themseleves can't offer that who knows!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeveal View Post
    What on earth do you do to use 250Mb/s?
    That's roughly ten simultaneous 4K HDR video streams!
    Who knows, but there is a teenager and a female in the household!

(I suspect the real answer is we only use a fraction of its capacity...)

Master
    Do you get a decent 5G signal?
    If I wasn’t in contract with Virgin I’d jump to Three unlimited 5G, on offer for about £20 at the minute.
    I don’t get the best signal at home but according to speedtests get around 300Mbps on my phone. In work I get over 700.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    I’d take a look at what zen or andrews and arnold offer as speeds, they tend to be more realistic and better quality providers

andrews and arnold specifically offer a quality of service that allows you to move elsewhere if they can’t provide there stated speeds, they also have a great reputation for getting faults resolved that other isp’s can’t, obviously this level of service come with a cost implication.

Other options are obviously 4/5G wireless depending on local availability, there are already a few threads about that or starlink satellite but that is also a costly option and I belive the deployment is on hold due to chip shortages.

I’m with zen using fttc at ~350m from the cab and get ~56mbs.

This most def. at least do it for the first year. Andrews and arnold are great. I am a quarter mile from the cabinet and get 48mbs. there will be drop off the further you get from the cabinet as you may already know. have you asked any of the neighbours what they are getting?

Quote Originally Posted by SimonH View Post
    Who knows, but there is a teenager and a female in the household!

(I suspect the real answer is we only use a fraction of its capacity...)
    If you don't know why you want a quarter of a gigabit per second, you almost certainly don't need it.

A steady 30Mb/s should sustain simultaneous gaming and streaming of a 4K HDR video from Rakuten, Amazon or the like. It's probably all you actually need.

Craftsman
    Go with A&A.

Great customer service, great options, and they use low contention and over provisioned main pipes.

Used them for years and they are way better at resolving faults (they will nag BT wholesale to investigate quickly and keep on investigating until the problem is resolved).

Also consider getting fibre to the premises if you need more speed, and I believe it is synchronous - same upload speed as download (but it costs more obviously).

We just got full fibre to house with BT. Couldn’t go back now !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Cynar View Post
    Do you get a decent 5G signal?
    If I wasn’t in contract with Virgin I’d jump to Three unlimited 5G, on offer for about £20 at the minute.
    I don’t get the best signal at home but according to speedtests get around 300Mbps on my phone. In work I get over 700.
    Sadly not but there is 4G.