closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: iPad for a 10 year old

iPad for a 10 year old

Thinking of getting my 10 year old daughter an iPad for Christmas. I've never owned one myself, I assume that the regular iPad 64GB will be fine? Mainly want it for using apps to help with her schoolwork. Thanks!

Edit: Looks like no iPads will be available until Jan/Feb next year. Apple are facing serious disruptions to their global supply chain apparently.
    Last edited by Rocket Man; 1st December 2021 at 16:12.

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post

I bought my wife one of those refurbished last year for Christmas, it was and has been perfect.

Fantastic, thank you for your help!

Edit to ask - would 32GB be enough?
    Last edited by Rocket Man; 1st December 2021 at 16:44.

Keep an eye on places - Argos was showing as out of stock for me for ages (iPad 9 64gb), then one morning at 11am a few weeks back it was available to order so I went ahead and got one delivered to store 3 days later. It went out of stock within the hour, so limited supplies are making their way through.

The base model is the best tablet in its price range as far as I am concerned, we've paired it up with a cheap case and pencil off Amazon and it's been perfectly fine for our use - we're not digital artists so it doesn't need any bells or whistles.

As to whether 32gb is enough - app sizes are only getting bigger so if you're planning on her using it for a while, 64gb feels like the minimum as of 2021 - although if you're going down the refurb route, 32gb is probably fine given the price drop on last gen models with an expectation that you can't just load it up with every app under the sun!
    Last edited by Gromdal; 1st December 2021 at 16:53.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post

we have a 32GB Ipad Pro - even there are no music, no photos or videos, it is almost full. I'd say 64GB is a minimum size for a kid.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post
    Fantastic, thank you for your help!

If budget allows I’d go 64gb just to future proof storage as much as possible.

Am sure you will having a very happy smiling face come the big day….charge it first though before wrapping it!!

As a 55 year old going on 10, I strongly recommend adding a rugged case. I’m a big fan of Griffin cases. They aren’t the cheapest but they can help to avoid the need to replace screens after little “accidents”.

Craftsman
    A big vote for the rugged cases from me! We've bought them for our children, along with screen protectors and the iPad has survived (so far).

Once you've got the iPad, next thing is to look into the parental controls to restrict as you see fit - we created apple accounts for the children then linked them to our accounts, and finally limited their screen time on some apps (and what they can install etc) - means you get to have some assurance of what they're up to, and if you're feeling generous, granting their random screen time requests when they've used up their daily time!

Link to Apples parental controls guide: https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201304

(top tip: target the childrens account within screentime - we "accidentally" set it up as a global policy at first so my wife was getting locked out after an hours use!)
    Last edited by poloman; 2nd December 2021 at 06:14. Reason: pesky Notion link rather than actual link

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by poloman View Post
    A big vote for the rugged cases from me! We've bought them for our children, along with screen protectors and the iPad has survived (so far).

Once you've got the iPad, next thing is to look into the parental controls to restrict as you see fit - we created apple accounts for the children then linked them to our accounts, and finally limited their screen time on some apps (and what they can install etc) - means you get to have some assurance of what they're up to, and if you're feeling generous, granting their random screen time requests when they've used up their daily time!

Link to Apples parental controls guide: https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201304

(top tip: target the childrens account within screentime - we "accidentally" set it up as a global policy at first so my wife was getting locked out after an hours use!)
    This is good advice. Both my boys' iPads have the Ztotop cases from Amazon, they come with built in screen protectors and have survived being dropped down the stairs.

Master
    The 128GB one at £279 looks like fantastic value. I bought my kids (8 & 11) those for Christmas last year and they've been great. I've just checked and they're both up to 26GB after nearly a year so glad I didn't get the 32GB. (I don't think 64GB was an option on this model although I may be wrong).
    Last edited by Craig; 2nd December 2021 at 11:52.

I've got a 9 year old boy & I'd happily swap him for an ipad at the moment

Sent from my KB2003 using Tapatalk

I have an 18 year old son with Down’s and he’s had an iPad for a fair few years now. I’d recommend an otter box case as they are incredibly tough- I’m talking throw it down the stairs and stamp on it tough - and he’s always had 32gb models as we just delete and rotate apps tbh. Stick it in the case when brand new and job done!
    Ps we’ve tried some of the cheaper cases from Amazon and whilst a few are pretty good, otterbox last twice as long and over the years they’ve developed them to be tighter fitting and more protective imho

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk