closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Winterising (taking off road) a car

Winterising (taking off road) a car

I know a few of you have toys and weekend cars, so seeking advice:
    I have taken my old Impreza off the road for a while - bought a good waterproof (4 season) and breathable fitted cover, have it outdoors on the gravel drive but sheltered up against the house, battery disconnected and widows cracked open for some air transition.
    Car is well serviced, oil not old.

It’ll probably only be a few months, maybe more - but is there anything I should consider?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Craftsman
    Fuel tank brimmed

Tyres overinflated if not on stands

I alway put some crystal dehumidifies in the car. Like these https://www.lakeland.co.uk/24627/Lak...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

I believe you're better off using a trickle charger rather than disconnecting the battery.

Agreed on over inflating tyres, not agreed on filling fuel tank because it degrades. Depends how long you're keeping it off the road.

My thoughts from having had many of cars laid-up over the winter and under covers...

A really good cover, plus a really good clean and wax of the bodywork prior to covering it - and if you can take, take the cover off every so often for a day.

Ideally, an oil & filter change before the lay-up.

I'd suggest two pairs of axle stands in preference to over-inflating the tyres.

I agree on a trickle charger for the battery - but you can also do that with the battery removed and in being charged in your garage.

Also agree on the Lakeland moisture traps, but then I know a classic car enthusiast (he;s got about a dozen of them) who swears by cat litter stuffed into a pair of ladies tights and then left inside the car.

Leave the handbrake off - trust me and DAMHIK on this...

Block up your air intake to stop mice from entering and eating the air filter - again, DAMHIK on this.

A piece of packing foam under each wiper will stop them fusing to the wind-screen and also deforming.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Good idea to trickle charge out of the car. I wouldn't on mine because it causes ecu glitches when refitted.

Master
    I’d agree with taking the cover off every couple of weeks at least on a dry, wind free day. I was glad I did this with mine recently as on checking the engine bay, a mouse had started gnawing away on the padded battery jacket!
    Evidence of droppings on the battery but nowhere else and have thoroughly checked the whole car. Now using a spray deterrent and traps in engine bay and in and under the car just in case. No problems since then but will check weekly as this is the time they apparently love sheltering and nesting in seldom used cars. There’s been a few in the shed too but no longer.

Cheers
    Neil

Fuel stabilizer and brimmed tank. Especially with e10.

Started my bike after 5 years this summer. Was dreading draining and cleaning the carbs but the stabilizer did its job.

We usually disconnected battery as there is parasitic load from security system. Then the cars are inside a locked secure garage.

No flat spots on tyres after 12 months layup.

Sent from my Lenovo K12 Note using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Trickle charging outside the car = the best. Check your home insurance (well we need to, here in the Netherlands) Also, some ECU's act weird when the battery is in the car with an ECU on one side and a trickle charger on the other. Check with the Impreza fraternity.

Fuel stabilizer is a very good idea. Is the Impreza's tank from steel, alloy or some kind of plastic. The reason for filling the tank to the brim is rust. E10 contains moisture that will have a corroding effect on the inside of the metal tank. Therefore it's a good idea to fill it up completely. With a non-steel tank (no rust), I would choose the opposite.

If the car is on a flat service: use 'car movers': sort of trolley under the wheels. Their concave-down shape will support the tyres more than on the ground. Extra inflated tyres and car movers go well together.

An obvious one... check the coolant level for its freezing point. Same goes for the window washer fluid. Frost can damage the container of the washer fluid.