closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Buying a Calatrava

Buying a Calatrava

So I’ve finally decided (about 12 years after passing on a 5711 for about £17k doh) to treat myself to a Patek.

Have my eyes on a 5196P. Just love the dial. And I don’t have any watches right now in precious metals so that would be a nice tick too for what would become my number one dress watch.

Have some issues I’m trying to work through though. My first thought is always pre-owned but looking at the few for sale they seem very similar to new price. At which point I might as well go to a PP boutique I guess - though I haven’t bought a watch from new for about 15 years. Does anyone know if this model has a significant waiting list? And are there any PP dealers in London or within striking distance of London that anyone here could recommend?

Thanks for any insight!
    Last edited by IanK; 30th November 2021 at 20:15.

Master
    Whilst i didn't buy a PP from them, I have dealt with David Duggan before and found them to be good. Quite close to the AD also. There's a couple more high end used watch dealers in that part of London too but I haven't dealt with any of them so cannot vouch

Sent from my SM-A326B using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    That’s a lovely watch. Just spent a bit of time poking about on their website.

Master
    For the same money, you can pick up a Gondolo. A much better watch with a better history in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    For the same money, you can pick up a Gondolo.
    Not when he wants a Calatrava !

For the same money, you can pick up a Gondolo. A much better watch with a better history in my opinion.
    They are rather chalk and cheese
    One is a refined, classy, simple round watch, the other is a completely different shape and fugly IMO
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 30th November 2021 at 20:16.

5196 in gold is readily available. Platinum version is rarer but not impossible.

I’d also suggest looking at the 6119R, photos do not do it justice and having gone in to buy a 5196R and leaving with a 6119R, I have no regrets.

Good luck with your choice and congrats in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well not really drawn to that case shape.

Funnily enough the other 5196 models don’t necessarily hook me in either though they are classy. But the platinum really appeals to me.

I’ve no idea if it’s operating off a waiting list or not though.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Qwerty View Post
    5196 in gold is readily available. Platinum version is rarer but not impossible.

I’d also suggest looking at the 6119R, photos do not do it justice and having gone in to buy a 5196R and leaving with a 6119R, I have no regrets.

Good luck with your choice and congrats in advance!

That’s a stunner. Love the hobnail bezel in conjunction with the subdial

Master

Buying a Calatrava

5196 calatrava probably PP most important legacy watch going back to the 1930s 96 model which is widely considered to be the archetype of its kind.

I also think the platinum version is particularly stunning. As for the wait list, that’s the John Mayer effect

Last edited by ac11111; 30th November 2021 at 21:10.

I haven’t seen one on display for a while but should be obtainable without too much of a wait.
    I use Pragnell in Mayfair but you could also try the Patek Salon on Bond Street. There’s loads of Patek AD’s in and around central to choose from - WoS, Mappin & Webb, Boodles, Wempe, David Robinson.

Craftsman
    I visited the Patek AD in Windsor and the lady told me the 5196 shouldn’t be too difficult to get hold of as they don’t sell that many due to the small size. She said I would have to buy another Patek first before I could be put on the waitlist for the new 39mm 6119.

This was my first experience enquiring about Patek so no idea if what she said is BS.

Blog Entries
    Another vote for a walk down New Bond Street, London. Many Patek ADs there - I would buy from new and I don’t think too much waiting.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Quote Originally Posted by ac11111 View Post
    5196 calatrava probably PP most important legacy watch going back to the 1930s 96 model which is widely considered to be the archetype of its kind.

I also think the platinum version is particularly stunning. As for the wait list, that’s the John Mayer effect

Has put me right off.

The hobnail calatrava looks like something a dangerous man would wear. Possibly Cartel. I like it a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Fender View Post
    Has put me right off.

The hobnail calatrava looks like something a dangerous man would wear. Possibly Cartel. I like it a lot.
    Haha, I like that. It’s inspired me to wear mine today.

Well after about a dozen phone calls to various UK ADs I have……

…..drawn a blank. Some suggestions of waiting list options ranging from 9 months to 3 years but also one or two suggestions the model is being discontinued which would make registering an interest a bit pointless.

Seems like there is hardly any Patek stock out there at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by IanK View Post
    Well after about a dozen phone calls to various UK ADs I have……

…..drawn a blank. Some suggestions of waiting list options ranging from 9 months to 3 years but also one or two suggestions the model is being discontinued which would make registering an interest a bit pointless.

Seems like there is hardly any Patek stock out there at the moment.
    G Collins & Sons down here in Tunbridge Wells are an AD, no idea if you’ve tried them

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by McBeardy View Post
    G Collins & Sons down here in Tunbridge Wells are an AD, no idea if you’ve tried them

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Thanks - I did actually and they were really helpful, informative and friendly but didn’t have this model in stock or any prospect of it right now.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Fender View Post
    Has put me right off.

The hobnail version wears too big and flash. 37mm of the 5196 given the thin bezel is perfect for modern dress watch

Blog Entries
    You can buy this 5196 without a list. Good company - I can recommend them.

https://www.watches.co.uk/watchespat...trava/PK22660S

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    You can buy this 5196 without a list. Good company - I can recommend them.

https://www.watches.co.uk/watchespat...trava/PK22660S
    Thanks Martyn - in my searching I did find a couple of yellow gold 5196 available but it’s the very different dial of the platinum version I’m looking for. Sounds like there’s only a few a year released to the UK and a waiting list of 5 or 6 times that.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by IanK View Post
    Thanks Martyn - in my searching I did find a couple of yellow gold 5196 available but it’s the very different dial of the platinum version I’m looking for. Sounds like there’s only a few a year released to the UK and a waiting list of 5 or 6 times that.
    Have you tried Bootles, London Royal Exchange? I find them an excellent AD and had by 5146J serviced via them to the mothership. May be worth a call or visit (not sure if you are near London).

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Have you tried Bootles, London Royal Exchange? I find them an excellent AD and had by 5146J serviced via them to the mothership. May be worth a call or visit (not sure if you are near London).
    Yes I tried Boodles early doors - they were pretty gloomy about the prospects of getting one. Like all the London ADs they seemed slightly overrun by the PP demand in the last year or so.

OP, might be worth reading this post.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CXOWCuvM-CX/