closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: What? How much? Are you kidding me?

Craftsman

What? How much? Are you kidding me?

Just in time for Christmas

Craftsman
    Each to their own but at this price, I would look for something much more interesting horologically.

BW,
    Chi Kai

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Riding high off the rumours that the turquoise dial is being discontinued.

The Watchbox CEO just bought one for top whack from David SW after apparently being told by a Rolex employee that dial colour has ceased production.

A fool and his money.......

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ronnie3585 View Post
    WTF!?! This is nuts!

Apprentice
    yep that is nuts..

Just watch….it will sell.

Master
    I tried on a demo model, not for me, but fine for a watch at RRP.

I’d say that it’s crazy and ridiculous pricing for any watch, let alone that, but no point as for the person who buys this, money will be no object and it would be like us spending a few hundred pounds, or a few thousand pounds on a watch I’m guessing.

Master
    Weeks wages to a footballer - their obvious target market these days

Master
    The insured shipping looks good value.

Master
    doesnt mean these watches will sell at that price and some people just have lots of money and dont care. Mike Wood has/had a number of well heeled customers in his time. I'm sure he shakes his head at some of the prices now.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Nairn1980 View Post
    Just watch….it will sell.
    Reserved already.

Quote Originally Posted by gaurav_tzuk View Post
    Whose obvious target?
    You think Rolex makes close to a million watches to sell to professional footballers?

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Whose obvious target?
    You think Rolex makes close to a million watches to sell to professional footballers?
    The price is nothing to do with Rolex it’s someone else’s pick a number out of thin air and hope some mug takes the bait price.

The fact the dial colour is hideous doesn’t seem to matter.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Riding high off the rumours that the turquoise dial is being discontinued.

The Watchbox CEO just bought one for top whack from David SW after apparently being told by a Rolex employee that dial colour has ceased production.
    Turquoise is still showing as an option on Rolex website - but you never know, maybe truth in rumour. Interesting, as I’ve said before, that grey dealers have adopted the description of ‘Tiffany’ to bump up the perceived appeal of a basically plain coloured dial. Clearly they are better at marketing than I ever could be.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    The price is nothing to do with Rolex it’s someone else’s pick a number out of thin air and hope some mug takes the bait price.

The fact the dial colour is hideous doesn’t seem to matter.
    I can’t understand it but seems the Tiffany Blue has been very popular.
    The OPs have been a smash success. I have a Coral Red and I can’t believe how much I like it. If you had asked me last year, I would have said that I wouldn’t buy a red watch in million years!

The Market sets its own price and the Tiffany dial has proved popular and to be the pick of the bunch..it’s the same with early Day Dates with coloured dials they can double/triple the price of standard model.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gaurav_tzuk View Post
    Not at all, average premiership salary is 60k per week before tax and expenses. It’s serious money for a watch

Quote Originally Posted by ALindsay View Post
    Turquoise is still showing as an option on Rolex website - but you never know, maybe truth in rumour. Interesting, as I’ve said before, that grey dealers have adopted the description of ‘Tiffany’ to bump up the perceived appeal of a basically plain coloured dial. Clearly they are better at marketing than I ever could be.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    If it is discontinued we wouldn’t know until next year anyway when the new watches are released and the discontinued models vanish from the website.

I don't get why Rolex don't just increase their prices to AD's. A batman sells at a grey for £16.5K on WF now with a retail of £7500. Why don't Rolex just up the RRP to say £10K, they would still sell and have a huge waiting list and they have made a solid 30% more profit. Same with all their models, they must see that greys and second hand dealers are making huge profits why don't they take more for themselves.

Journeyman
    The bubble has to burst at some point, grey dealers seem to be making a decent profit if you believe the youtube channels on this stuff...

Much of the price increase happens from dealer, to dealer, to dealer, before any buyer gets to even see it.

Quote Originally Posted by NikGixer750 View Post
    I don't get why Rolex don't just increase their prices to AD's. A batman sells at a grey for £16.5K on WF now with a retail of £7500. Why don't Rolex just up the RRP to say £10K, they would still sell and have a huge waiting list and they have made a solid 30% more profit. Same with all their models, they must see that greys and second hand dealers are making huge profits why don't they take more for themselves.
    Presumably because Rolex have absolutely no need to do so, if idiots want to pay some third party double for something they can get if they just put on their big boy pants and just wait for then more fool them.

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    It says it’s one of the rarest op’s and yet there are tons on C24 etc

Patek tried that with, I recall/think, the 5711 before discontinuing it completely. That move completely failed as all the market prices just went ever higher in line with the guide retail (MSRP) being hiked by PP.

Plus, as we all know, Rolex is not an organisation troubled by such trivial matters as "profit"

Quote Originally Posted by Ctam View Post
    WTF!?! This is nuts!

Just too much greed in the world.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Cheap

If only we knew then what we know now, it wasn't that long ago (2016) when a forum stalwart withdrew his mint, brand new 5711/1A-011 on SC after a week because it wouldn't sell at £19,500!

150 grand

lol

***edit***

There is an AP Royal Oak on watchfinder, retail price is 27k your for 135k

They really are the gift that keeps on giving.
    Last edited by robert75; 19th February 2022 at 11:17.

Journeyman
    Luxury brands like rolex, patek that are independent care a lot more about their long term market position and know that these prices won't last forever I think. So they tend to raise prices gradually even in situations like we have today. Imagine if they raised their prices 100% and then there was a recession and they looked like mugs for doing that when their watches didn't sell. They are trying to preserve their brand and reputation for the next 100 years rather than make a quick buck

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Master
    https://www.goldsmiths.co.uk/Pre+Own...p/406100301490

I absolutely deplore this place.

The fact that I was stood in the AD listening to a staff member talking up the discontinued nature of the watch, to justify that price, made my blood boil.

These are the same staff members who don't entertain any enquiries for Rolex pieces from genuine naive buyers who are completely unaware of just how difficult it is to obtain one.
    Last edited by tango; 23rd February 2022 at 08:58.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tango View Post

The fact that I was stood in the AD listening to a staff member talking up the discontinued nature of the watch, to justify that price, made my blood boil.

These are the same staff members who don't entertain any enquiries for Rolex pieces from genuine naive buyers who are completely unaware of just how difficult it is to obtain one.
    Thats got to be the most expensive one I've ever seen. Be interesting to know what they would buy one in at.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob s View Post
    Thats got to be the most expensive one I've ever seen. Be interesting to know what they would buy one in at.
    Not wanting to be outdone, Watchfinder have one at £9,770.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

Shock and anger as man tries to sell stock watch rather than entertaining telephone enquiries for unobtainable watches?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    Shock and anger as man tries to sell stock watch rather than entertaining telephone enquiries for unobtainable watches?
    Not quite Verv, more just shock and bewilderment that the same group sent the email below to a work colleague, when he did the same as what they are doing in advertising a watch he no longer wanted at above the list price, though not to the same extent as them in the example I posted.

'With the above information in mind and after careful consideration, a business decision has been taken to remove your details from any register of interests across The Watches of Switzerland Group estate and we will not be in a position to supply any limited edition, sought after models or steel professional models to you going forward.

With such a large appetite for a particular timepiece it is our duty to ensure they reach the correct clients, looking to treasure the piece, and for it not to appear in the grey market. I am sure you can understand the frustration this causes collectors and watch enthusiasts alike, seeing the timepiece they desire appearing on the grey market whilst they are awaiting their registration to come to fruition. With this frustration reflecting negatively not only on the Rolex brand but also the Watches of Switzerland Group, With watch enthusiasts regularly reporting Rolex timepieces seen available on the grey market directly to our customer relations teams.'

I feel a fool for arguing the AD's case when the colleague shared this incident with me a few years back, as it feels very much like they are doing exactly what they accosted my colleague for doing.

However as you imply this may be perfectly normal and acceptable and I am no expert, I was merely sharing my feelings when I witnessed what I did and as always I am open to being educated and put right.
    Last edited by tango; 23rd February 2022 at 16:37.

I don't understand what you're complaining about.

Goldsmith's isn't acting as a Rolex AD when selling a second-hand watch. They're acting as a retailer of used goods, independent of Rolex or any other new brands they carry. They think someone will buy it at £9.5k & that's what they're asking.

Oh, and the watch you link to is from September 2011. It says so in the advert. It cost approx. £4130 new.

We don't know how many owners it's had in the past 10 & a bit years. It could be one, cashing in on the relentless rise & almost doubling his money, or it could have been through several hands.
    ______

​Jim.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Its normal.

ADs who also sell pre-owned watches sell new their stock at retail as per and adhere quite strictly to allocation/brand "rules" but once the watch becomes pre-owned, market rate prevails.
    You'll see plenty of 20k+ traded in Daytonas sitting in the used windows of ADs

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    Its normal.

ADs who also sell pre-owned watches sell new their stock at retail as per and adhere quite strictly to allocation/brand "rules" but once the watch becomes pre-owned, market rate prevails.
    You'll see plenty of 20k+ traded in Daytonas sitting in the used windows of ADs
    That explanation makes complete sense and seems logical enough. Guess I need to reign in my sense of injustice if its accepted and normal practice.

Thanks for taking the time to elaborate.

Craftsman

'With the above information in mind and after careful consideration, a business decision has been taken to remove your details from any register of interests across The Watches of Switzerland Group estate and we will not be in a position to supply any limited edition, sought after models or steel professional models to you going forward. '
    Interesting that this excludes watches that are not sought after. I’ve always imagined if you don’t fit their customer profile, they will stop to supply you completely in future.

But no, you can’t have the profitable ones but you’re still welcomed to have the ones that depreciate.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cheesycake7 View Post
    Interesting that this excludes watches that are not sought after. I’ve always imagined if you don’t fit their customer profile, they will stop to supply you completely in future.

But no, you can’t have the profitable ones but you’re still welcomed to have the ones that depreciate.
    Given that the colleague appears to have been caught flipping for profit, It looks like its the profiteering they're nixing with that one.

Did wonder about that, was he stupid enough to show the warranty card and serial number in full in his sale for all to see. I thought that only happened to Ryan :)

Quote Originally Posted by cheesycake7 View Post

But no, you can’t have the profitable ones but you’re still welcomed to have the ones that we can’t shift
    FTFY

Grand Master
    It was never a great buy at 15k so nothing has changed less bragging rights
    RIAC