closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Omega SMPc from a perfect runner to a stop overnight....

Master

Omega SMPc from a perfect runner to a stop overnight....

My beloved 10 year old (Bought October 2011) SMPc has once again threw in the towel.

It seems that it runs perfectly for 5 years than it just stops for no apparent reason. It is the second time it has done this. It used to run at a steady +1 sec./day since day one, until it started stopping around 5 years ago.

Long story, but the first time round it was serviced by Omega Bienne in April 2016, at no cost to me, since it was opened by local AD previously to no avail. Omega Bienne did a terrific job, they completely serviced the movement, polished and brushed the case to a like new finish and replaced all gaskets, crown, He valve and other components including the co-axial balance fork (not the wheels). I had asked specifically if this was the same 'stopping problem' as with the previous 2500s and had received an official reply from Omega that this was not the case and stopping was 'due to normal wear and tear'. It came back running at +2 seconds a day no matter what position or state of wind, up to yesterday that is.

No matter how much winding and shaking and time/date setting I give it, the watch runs for a few seconds at a very low amplitude and then it just stops. I even opened up the caseback to see if there is anything obvious but all seems good to my untrained eye.

I would like to arrange for its servicing from my end rather than involve local AD. I am located in Malta (EU) and need some advice:

- Who do you recommend I send it to?
    - How much should I expect to pay?
    - Any benefit over sending it to Omega Bienne over another independent Omega approved watch maker?

In the meantime, enjoy these couple of photos I shot of it last night :). This watch was a graduation gift to me by my family so will spare no expense to have it done well and with utmost of care.

Omega & Cha_4 by etienne spiteri, on Flickr

Omega & Cha_3 by etienne spiteri, on Flickr
    Last edited by buddy13; 29th November 2021 at 17:08.

Grand Master
    The problem is likely to be a lubrication issue with the co-axial escapement. I`ve no first-hand experience because I refuse to work on them, but I`ve studied the design and read the reports, this is one reason why I won't work on them. It needs to go to someone who's got experience with co-axial movements and that's likely to be an Omega service centre or an Omega accredited repairer. No idea how you do that from Malta.

Omega SMPc from a perfect runner to a stop overnight....

I’d send it direct to Omega as the experts in the coaxial movement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    ...It needs to go to someone who's got experience with co-axial movements and that's likely to be an Omega service centre or an Omega accredited repairer. No idea how you do that from Malta.
    As if by magic -

THE OMEGA SERVICE CENTRE ON MALTA
    ______

​Jim.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by buddy13 View Post

I would like to arrange for its servicing from my end rather than involve local AD.
    You must have missed this in my original post. For various reasons, that might not be so clear to someone living in Europe mainland, I'd like to bypass Omega AD Malta.

Quote Originally Posted by buddy13 View Post
    You must have missed this in my original post. For various reasons, that might not be so clear to someone living in Europe mainland, I'd like to bypass Omega AD Malta.
    Have you tried contacting Omega direct via their website; in the UK you have the option to send it direct without involving an AD?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd have to agree with the prevailing sentiment. Bypass the AD and send it to Omega directly.