closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Heathrow landing from over central London

Heathrow landing from over central London

Crank the quality up to 4k and enjoy the views.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Blog Entries
    And you even get to see a brocken!

Craftsman
    Thanks for sharing, looks great in 4k

Must have done this landing 100 times and never get bored of the views. It’s equivalent to a private helicopter sightseeing ride over the Capital.

Always a disappointment when the wind is from the East and you land from the Windsor direction.

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    Must have done this landing 100 times and never get bored of the views. It’s equivalent to a private helicopter sightseeing ride over the Capital.

Always a disappointment when the wind is from the East and you land from the Windsor direction.
    As above ^^^ also sat many times in the garden of the Ailsa Tavern watching the incoming flights over Old Deer Park and Richmond lock.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    And you even get to see a brocken!
    What's a 'brocken', when it's all there? 😁

The shadow of the plane on cloud below, if surronded by a halo aka a 'glory'.

Edit you can see it from 3.14.

R
    Last edited by ralphy; 29th November 2021 at 14:02.
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Cheers Ralphy, learnt something new 👍

Ditto. I also enjoy the approach from the west to LCY.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Done it a few times and never get tired of picking out the landmarks

It’s equivalent to a private helicopter sightseeing ride over the Capital.
    Close.

But not close enough:

I get quit a lot of these sort of photos coming my way.
    Did you know that single engined helicopters are only allowed to fly over the Thames, and not deviate from route H4? That way, if the engine fails, then the bird falls into the river and not into a rich banker's committee meeting

See: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...SB3wGmlcUu0Hli

My bruv is a commercial helicopter pilot.

Green energy

My dad was a pilot based out of Trinidad , pre 9-11 when you could still go on cockpits I would spend part of my summer holidays flying with him sitting in the cockpit, normally island hopping up the Caribbean ending up in the USA. The landings were amazing into New York and Miami.

Quote Originally Posted by NikGixer750 View Post
    My dad was a pilot based out of Trinidad , pre 9-11 when you could still go on cockpits I would spend part of my summer holidays flying with him sitting in the cockpit, normally island hopping up the Caribbean ending up in the USA. The landings were amazing into New York and Miami.
    We had a colleague whose Brother was a pilot.

Once three of us were flying home from a trip to Norway and we joked about it being his brother when they started to announce the pilot, etc.

It turned out the co-pilot WAS his brother and we all burst out laughing, just as a member of the cabin crew passed us. She asked if we knew him and we explained we worked with his brother.

A bit later he came back and offered one of us the chance to sit in the jump seat for the landing - One had done it before, so passed and the other two of us drew straws - I won!

It was nighttime and clear and the view was fantastic.

I'm not a great fan of London, but it did look good as we came in to land, with all the landmarks clearly visible and lit up.

Shame you can't do that sort of thing any more, but glad I did!

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    We had a colleague whose Brother was a pilot.

Once three of us were flying home from a trip to Norway and we joked about it being his brother when they started to announce the pilot, etc.

It turned out the co-pilot WAS his brother and we all burst out laughing, just as a member of the cabin crew passed us. She asked if we knew him and we explained we worked with his brother.

A bit later he came back and offered one of us the chance to sit in the jump seat for the landing - One had done it before, so passed and the other two of us drew straws - I won!

It was nighttime and clear and the view was fantastic.

I'm not a great fan of London, but it did look good as we came in to land, with all the landmarks clearly visible and lit up.

Shame you can't do that sort of thing any more, but glad I did!

M
    its not all good, I spent many a long haul flight from London to Trinidad sat on a jump seat, it was high up so you could had a really good view but nothing to lean on, so no sleep, for 9 ish hours ! made you realise how vast the Atlantic ocean is

Quote Originally Posted by The Doc View Post

I get quit a lot of these sort of photos coming my way.
    Did you know that single engined helicopters are only allowed to fly over the Thames, and not deviate from route H4? That way, if the engine fails, then the bird falls into the river and not into a rich banker's committee meeting
    Thats Portsmouth, though..........

Quote Originally Posted by E_2_Right-Force View Post
    Indeed it is.

Millennium Bridge in the background, HMS Queen Elizabeth in the foreground at her berth at Western Way.

R

Way back in the day I was fortunate enough to sometimes sit in the cockpit of commercial planes, usually for a spell mid-air but occasionally T/O's and landings.

I never got to see LHR out of the flight-deck windows (but plenty of times out of the passenger windows) and out of the most memorable landings I'd rate Kai Tak as the most spectacular of all, I did that once in daylight and the other at night.
    For anyone whose landed there, you might remember that there's a sharp bank on finals and from the cockpit the view was a heading towards a hill with a checkerboard painted upon it and then a sharp bank to the right to line up with the runway.

Great experiences to do that, but history now after 9/11 changed the rules.

R

Quote Originally Posted by E_2_Right-Force View Post
    Yes !

He sends me them from all over the UK.

I saw the set of the Star Wars film The Force Awakens, from the air about 2 years before it was released. They had a Millenium Falcon built at 1:1 scale, but behind hoardings for secrecy.

Photos of circular rainbows, photos of offshore windfarms, combine harvesters on fire, Years and years in the air at 1000ft doing about 50 knots.

He said he was in a pub once, and a bloke at the bar was showing his mate an aerial photo of Old Trafford Stadium. A really nice Hi def photo that ManU were selling to fans.
    It was too tempting to lean over and tell the chap that he took the actual photo from his heli !

Lots of great stories.