closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: New Charity added to The Fundraiser

New Charity added to The Fundraiser

I've just added Yorkshire Air Ambulance to the fundraiser. Earlier this week they were canvassing the neighbourhood asking people to sign up to a £1 a week lottery to raise funds. to build a heli-pad at the Sheffield Children's hospital. The heli-pad they built at Sheffield Northern General Hospital a few years ago cost £2 million.

Anyone who has watched "Helicopter ER" knows the excellent and sometimes dangerous work they do saving countless lives every year and I thought that we could do much better than £1 a week, please donate generously.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Master
    Great cause I owe the west AA mids my life and will be eternally grateful.

Good choice.

The Air Ambulances do sterling work in saving lives.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Excellent. I’ve spent a lot of time watching the Air Ambulance coming and going at Alder Hey and contemplating how valuable a service it is.
    M
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Master
    Great choice , we used to support NW Air Ambulance roughly £1500/£2k per year . They came to speak to our fundraising group a couple of times. Maybe 10 years they flew in! But recently as the aircraft is charged on rotor hours they cant do drop ins.

What surprised us was the NWAA is a charity costing from memory about £7 million PA yet a NHS North West ambulance despatcher can choose to send the Helo rather than a conventional motorised ambulance based on need.

Yet the NHS support to the service was minimal. I think they had just added a paramedic to the crew the last time we had a talk.

Their life saving list is mind boggling, the folk they attend , not only mountaineering folk but Motorway crashes, football head injuries , anything where speed is off the essence.

An outstanding charity that rightfully deserves support, its a pity they dont attract more central funding.

Small donation made

Steve
    Last edited by higham5; 28th November 2021 at 19:26.

Good choice of charity Eddie . Yorkshire is close to home for me but hopefully I will never need their services. Small donation made.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    Great choice , we used to support NW Air Ambulance roughly £1500/£2k per year . They came to speak to our fundraising group a couple of times. Maybe 10 years they flew in! But recently as the aircraft is charged on rotor hours they cant do drop ins.

What surprised us was the NWAA is a charity costing from memory about £7 million PA yet a NHS North West ambulance despatcher can choose to send the Helo rather than a conventional motorised ambulance based on need.

Yet the NHS support to the service was minimal. I think they had just added a paramedic to the crew the last time we had a talk.

Their life saving list is mind boggling, the folk they attend , not only mountaineering folk but Motorway crashes, football head injuries , anything where speed is off the essence.

An outstanding charity that rightfully deserves support, its a pity they dont attract more central funding.

Small donation made

Steve
    They won’t get funding centrally as they would have to change and it would be more of a shambles than the National police air service which has become a disgrace

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    The heli-pad they built at Sheffield Northern General Hospital a few years ago cost £2 million.
    Can someone in the know explain how and why a helipad would cost £2M, please ?

I thought it was just a bit of concrete, a quick access to the hospital A&E and no trees in a reasonable radius.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post

I thought it was just a bit of concrete, a quick access to the hospital A&E and no trees in a reasonable radius.

I was thinking the same, but I suspect it has road access to the hospital A&E, heat-trace cabling below, perimeter and downlights - all hooked up to the emergency power supply of the hospital.

Might even have refuelling plant and hard standing to park a helicopter.

The crowdfunded helipad at Applecross - would be a simpler affair.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post

Because they are usually built on top of an existing building and that building has to undergo extensive modification, there often isn't the free space to have a heli-pad at ground level.

Here's the one at the Northern General Hospital

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Thank you
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.