closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Dead Seiko Solar diver

Master

Dead Seiko Solar diver

I have a Seiko solar diver Chrono which has stopped working. I put it on a window sill hoping to charge the battery, where it’s been for about a week but it’s still kaput.

Casio and Citizens always come back with a bit of sunlight but I’m stumped with this one. Any ideas gratefully received.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    It happens.

Change the rechargeable battery.

Master
    I would try leaving it outside for as long as you can if possible. It's surprising how much more effective this can be than through glass on a window sill.

Sun is very low and weak at this time of year.
    I would definitely leave it in direct sunlight, not through glass, for as long as possible (as suggested above )

Dead Seiko Solar diver

I posted similar about 6-8 weeks ago and got FA response. I fitted a new rechargeable battery and it’s been right as rain ever since. Still surprised it needed replaced though as only a few years old. Cost about £13 for the battery from eBay.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Thanks hadn’t thought of putting it outside.

Master
    It's best to leave them on a windowsill, but out of direct sunlight, all the time if possible.

Seiko solars are definitely not as good as Citizen equivalents. Recently changed the battery on a 8 year old Seiko. I have Citizens much older with no problems.

I’ve got 8 solar/atomic casios - all set with power save on and to receive a time update automatically - and once fully charged they rarely dip down from indicatiing a high charge to medium. This only used to happen when I kept a couple in a drawer for a few months - they might dip down to medium and I’d put them on an indoor windowsill in a sunny day and they be good for another year of sporadic wear. Nowadays I keep them all on a shelf which isn’t all that bright but just ambient room light seems to be enough to keep them fully charged - with a fair bit of alarm and el light use too. I’ve never understood how eg Seiko 3 handers with no alarm, backlight or radio receiver built in manage to be so poor at keeping a charge!?! - Casio technology appears to be leaps ahead

Wasn't there a trick with an electric toothbrush charger for these, for situations when even leaving it for yonks on a windowsill didn't help?

Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    Wasn't there a trick with an electric toothbrush charger for these, for situations when even leaving it for yonks on a windowsill didn't help?
    That's for the kinetic sort not the solars.

Master
    You could also try one of the LED light chargers for a few hours. I bought mine from Amazon they plug straight into any usb and work a treat.

I had a Citizen eco drive that had stopped in the watch box, spent a couple of days on the window sill charging but no life was apparent, until i unscrewed and pulled the crown out then pushed it in again, sprang to life, Im not saying that will happen to your Seiko, but worth a go.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Master
    That reminds me - I once read on this forum a Reset procedure for Seiko Solar watches, namely 'Pull out the crown fully and hold in both chrono pushers for at least 3 seconds and then push the crown back in'. Might be worth a try, but I have absolutely NO idea whether this would work on your particular watch, or any Seiko at all! Good luck.

Dead Seiko Solar diver

There is a reset that I’ve used that worked. I believe it’s the same as Mr Grumpy details above but a quick google will give you the reset instruction.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    I had a Citizen eco drive that had stopped in the watch box, spent a couple of days on the window sill charging but no life was apparent, until i unscrewed and pulled the crown out then pushed it in again, sprang to life, Im not saying that will happen to your Seiko, but worth a go.
    Actually that makes sense - gives it time to get a decent bit of charge before it has to start ticking again I guess

Master
    Give it ages on a windowsill with the CROWN PULLED OUT. No idea why the significance but it works - don't leave it "charging" with the crown screwed in.
    I bought the black and blue SSC017 (the pre-prospex model) and loved it, but despite regular wear it went through two capacitors in two years.
    (Something tells me Seiko should stick to kinetics).

The cells are really easy to change, much easier than a Kinetic capacitor. Just a regular battery change but being careful to line up the contact plates.