closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Airain type 20 or Guinard Pilot Officer

Craftsman

Airain type 20 or Guinard Pilot Officer

Hi All,
    I'm thinking of getting a chronograph and have seen 2 I like. The Airain Type 20 and Guinard Pilot Officer are the 2. I have a 6.5 inch wrist so 40mm is my max. Both just make it. Both about same price. While the look of both is subjective, the quality is a little more objective. Was wondering if anyone has tried the Guinand. How does it wear? I know there aren't many people who have tried the Airain on as not in production yet, but if you know the pros and cons of the movements, quality of cases etc., I would be grateful if you would share your knowledge.
    Thanks

With the caveat that I have no experience of either, and that my experience is invalid, I’d be looking at a Sinn356, which has a similar look, price and is only 38mm across, which would suit a 6.5inch wrist well, IMO.

Good luck with the hunt in any case, hope others here are better informed!

Airain, if you are really into that kind of thing. Guinard, if you are looking for long term peace of mind.

Me? Airain every time. But that is just me.
    Last edited by abraxas; 27th November 2021 at 12:46.

Master
    For me the Airain every time but with one caveat, reviews I’ve read of the pre production watches identified issues with the bezel action, but I believe the manufacturer has promised to have this resolved in the final production run.

The brown dial Airain was mindblowingly beautiful. Unfortunately it was a Limited Edition.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by abraxas View Post
    The brown dial Airain was mindblowingly beautiful. Unfortunately it was a Limited Edition.
    Yes unfortunately sold out now

I see the two as very different.
    The Airain is definitely a homage, with only 50m WR, hand winding and has a bezel. Also a modern re-issue brand
    The Guinand is a modern re-interpretation, but auto, and 100m WR, no bezel. Guinand is a much longer lasting player in the business.
    Spec-wise and company wise, the Guinand has it for me, quite easily.

D

I've ordered the Airain type 20 brown Ltd Edition. I've also recently ordered and awaiting delivery of the Auricoste Flymaster Type 20 with Plongeur bezel and that is if anything even more brain meltingly beautiful (IMHO of course). I got 15% off via Ocarat and I guess once it arrives from France it will cost around £2650 or so after VAT.

Only 299 made - pic below. A million % that's where I'd spend my money.

That Auricoste is a beauty even if it cuts the markers.

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    That Auricoste is a beauty even if it cuts the markers.
    To be fair the original had the same issue

Master
    Only 299 made - pic below. A million % that's where I'd spend my money.[/QUOTE]

That is gorgeous. Why the markers at 3,6,9 on the 30 second counter. I have seen them somewhere before but remain perplexed.

Craftsman
    I've also ordered the Airain Type 20. The last email I had from Airain stated that that the plan is for the watches to be made by the end of May and delivered in June and July next year.

I mention this in case you don't want to wait that long for the watch.

Sent from my DN2103 using Tapatalk

Isn’t Guinard from Sinn?
    I love the original Auricoste, Airin and Dodane but to me it would have to be the most modern ( good WR, as near to chronometer specs) vs the most historically accurate (and if the latter was more important I’d get an original one)
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post

That one has a modular movement. I checked. I wouldn't recommend it unless the buyer must absolutely have it for personal reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by abraxas View Post
    That one has a modular movement. I checked. I wouldn't recommend it unless the buyer must absolutely have it for personal reasons.
    What's the issue with modular movements? Even the segment- leading Breguet Type XX has one. I know they aren't ideal vs a fully integrated movement however functionally there isn't much difference assuming I'm not mistaken? And in this case it's a flyback chronograph module from Dubois Depraz which has seen limited action inside AP Royal Oak Chronos and even some Richard Mille watches.

I'd have preferred the manual column wheel chronograph movement that's in the Airain as opposed to the automatic modular movement in this watch but at less than £3k nobody is getting an automatic flyback that isn't modular so it is what it is I guess.
    Last edited by ryanb741; 27th November 2021 at 18:03.

Craftsman
    Thanks for responding. I have a Sinn 556ARS and it's one of my favourites, the 356 looks a bit too much, I like clarity. Wonderful looking Auricosta, haven't come across those before so thanks for pointing it out. Bit pricey for me, I would if I could. I remember my first £100 watch..big step at the time (Smiths A456), still have it. Still haven't paid more than £900 for a watch. I noticed Hanhart have plonked a 39mm chronograph on the market, great looking watch. Gets more and more difficult.

Just to further complicate matters for you, Brellum make some great looking chronos at this kind of price range, I believe there are a couple of owners on the forum.

Sent from my SM-A217F using Tapatalk

Hanhart just released a limited edition 39mm 417 ES. The LE is sold out (in one day) but they will almost certainly make a non-limited version, likely with a standard case back and without the red pusher. It is based on the 417 ES made in the mid 1950's for the German military and Steve McQueen owned one he wore when he raced motorcycles. It has a hand winding Sellita chronograph movement so it is only 13.3mm tall including the domed sapphire crystal and has a short 46mm lug to lug length. Looks are subjective and this is definitely vintage looking - perhaps even archaic - but I find it quite handsome. On the objective side, Hanhart quality is outstanding. If they do make a non-limited version I'll be getting one. Price is about $2150. Unsure how much that is with VAT added on and converted to GBP.

https://www.hanhart.com/en/collectio...es-red-lion-2/

Master
    I’ll just stick with this one:
    https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...ghlight=Tutima
    I truly didn’t expect to like it as much as I do, as I generally hate watches with Arabic dials. Now on a Rios ‘pilot’ style strap which suits it so well.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    What's the issue with modular movements? Even the segment- leading Breguet Type XX has one. I know they aren't ideal vs a fully integrated movement however functionally there isn't much difference assuming I'm not mistaken? And in this case it's a flyback chronograph module from Dubois Depraz which has seen limited action inside AP Royal Oak Chronos and even some Richard Mille watches.

I'd have preferred the manual column wheel chronograph movement that's in the Airain as opposed to the automatic modular movement in this watch but at less than £3k nobody is getting an automatic flyback that isn't modular so it is what it is I guess.
    They're infamous for being highly difficult to repair (most watchmakers won't touch them) and lackluster availability of parts. In some calibers the chrono module is basically disposable.

Quote Originally Posted by EBB21 View Post
    Hi All,
    I'm thinking of getting a chronograph and have seen 2 I like. The Airain Type 20 and Guinard Pilot Officer are the 2. I have a 6.5 inch wrist so 40mm is my max. Both just make it. Both about same price. While the look of both is subjective, the quality is a little more objective. Was wondering if anyone has tried the Guinand. How does it wear? I know there aren't many people who have tried the Airain on as not in production yet, but if you know the pros and cons of the movements, quality of cases etc., I would be grateful if you would share your knowledge.
    Thanks
    As many said, they're completely different animals, but I'm going with the Airain.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by bobc View Post
    That is gorgeous. Why the markers at 3,6,9 on the 30 second counter. I have seen them somewhere before but remain perplexed.[/QUOTE]

Historical (1930s-70s) telephone call timer.