closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Anyone manage a Rolex Explorer 124270 without being a VIP?

Master

Anyone manage a Rolex Explorer 124270 without being a VIP?

Tried on one of these from an "exhibition" display model the other day. It is fabulous. Perfect in pretty much every way in my eyes. I have bought a Sub from the AD in the past but that doesn't "count" as it is a professional model. If I was interested I could enter the "road map" which involves me buying crap I don't want in order to maybe be able to buy one in 12-18 months. Yeah... no thanks.

Anyone able to just be on a list and buy one without significant history with a dealer?

As been said before, situation is so dumb blah blah blah

There is hope according to post 265 of this thread (posted just yesterday) https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...80#post5880980

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by watchstudent View Post
    Tried on one of these from an "exhibition" display model the other day. It is fabulous. Perfect in pretty much every way in my eyes. I have bought a Sub from the AD in the past but that doesn't "count" as it is a professional model. If I was interested I could enter the "road map" which involves me buying crap I don't want in order to maybe be able to buy one in 12-18 months. Yeah... no thanks.

Anyone able to just be on a list and buy one without significant history with a dealer?

“Road Map”- brilliant term
    Was this used by them?
    Right up there with doing a “Bio”

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    Was this used by them?
    Yes it was used by them. Bonkers.

Craftsman
    Name and shame that AD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by optix View Post
    Name and shame that AD.

Haha yeah ok.

Michael Spiers in Plymouth

Quote Originally Posted by optix View Post
    Name and shame that AD.

Better copy/paste a list of all ADs in the UK in that case.

If you don't want to play the game, there are plenty of other brands / watches to choose from.

Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    If you don't want to play the game
    The chase is all part of the fun!

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Agreed. Had the same conversation in Manchester Trafford Centre and DMR Manchester.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Haha

I just want to walk in and ask this AD if they can put on a power point presentation that outlines this so called Roadmap in detail.

Craftsman
    I've managed to get on a waiting list for the new explorer 1 about a month ago. I walked in mid week and wanted to try a couple of the exhibition pieces thinking this may be only change to try a GMT master 2 and a ND sub.

I tried them on and started talking about the difficulty of purchasing and blah blah blah. Then I mentioned the explorer 1 and they said that you don't need to build up 'previous purchase history' for this model.

I was then asked to fill out a card with my details and they even gave me a drink. I was told it would likely take a year. I'll keep you posted if I do get 'the call' but I walked out feeling like I had some luck on my side or something. Crazy I know.

I’m far from being a VIP and managed to grab one in late Oct after perhaps only a 6 week wait. Getting one so quick surprised me big time and I can only assume it included a hefty dose of good fortune on my part!

Previous purchase history was a BLNR from just over 4 years ago and a DJ36 from March this year. I registered my interest in an Explorer 1 in Sept when I arranged a Rolex service on a SD4K purchased from elsewhere.

I had suggested that the Explorer would be a good way to celebrate my 40th in June next year, hence my surprise at getting the call so soon! Guess I’ll have to ask for another piece for my 40th now (and I’ve got an idea!).

As is often discussed, it must come down to your relationship with your SA, AD Manager along with timing/luck.

Obligatory photo…

Master
    You've been spun a line there. Especially with a sub already I'd try a few different AD's. I hate to say it as a lot of people's experiences vary, but I've had great luck with WoS. Got an exp 2 yesterday after a 1 month wait.

Its the entry level professional Rolex, so yes, in demand but not like a sub or a pepsi is.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Michael Spiers in Plymouth
    Dicks.

Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    Was this used by them?
    I think this the road they are talking about -

Master
    I tried one of these today, it’s good that at least they have some demo models these days, even if you can’t actually buy them. I was surprised how small it wore, and that’s coming from some who’s constantly complaining about modern watches being too big for me. I’ll very happily wear a vintage 36mm Datejust or Oysterquartz, but this felt noticeably smaller. Possibly it’s the bracelet or the amount of shiny indices crammed onto the dial, where the similarly sized 1016s only had to fit lume. I found the previous version oversized and Rolex seem to agree. But at the risk of sounding like a broken record, I’m not sure why they can’t figure out how to make watches somewhere in between 36 and 40, it would be a great candidate for 38mm. It’s definitely one to try in person before you spend months on waiting a list.

Master
    Wouldn’t give them my money on principle! Real nonsense!

No games pretty much means grey market.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    I tried one of these today, it’s good that at least they have some demo models these days, even if you can’t actually buy them. I was surprised how small it wore, and that’s coming from some who’s constantly complaining about modern watches being too big for me. I’ll very happily wear a vintage 36mm Datejust or Oysterquartz, but this felt noticeably smaller. Possibly it’s the bracelet or the amount of shiny indices crammed onto the dial, where the similarly sized 1016s only had to fit lume. I found the previous version oversized and Rolex seem to agree. But at the risk of sounding like a broken record, I’m not sure why they can’t figure out how to make watches somewhere in between 36 and 40, it would be a great candidate for 38mm. It’s definitely one to try in person before you spend months on waiting a list.
    Who knows what Rolex were thinking. The reduced case size, TT option, but even more so the, by modern standards, dainty bracelet, make you wonder if they weren't aiming for the female / asian market. But if so, why ditch the 39mm (as much as I dislike its size and proportions)? Personally, I think a 37-37.5mm version could have kept (almost) everybody happy, providing a touch more wrist presence than the 36mm while not losing its vintage-sized charm and discretion. Ditto for the OPs.

Quote Originally Posted by Taff View Post
    You've been spun a line there.
    Really?

Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    Wouldn’t give them my money on principle! Real nonsense!
    Absolutely, yet people lap it up and play their games

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ColDaspin View Post
    Who knows what Rolex were thinking. The reduced case size, TT option, but even more so the, by modern standards, dainty bracelet, make you wonder if they weren't aiming for the female / asian market. But if so, why ditch the 39mm (as much as I dislike its size and proportions)? Personally, I think a 37-37.5mm version could have kept (almost) everybody happy, providing a touch more wrist presence than the 36mm while not losing its vintage-sized charm and discretion. Ditto for the OPs.
    I had the old 114270 for 10 years and even as a fan of smaller watches I always thought it wore smaller than the 36mm 16234 Datejust I owned. However, with the 20mm bracelet and fairly slim lugs it almost had the look and feel of an integral bracelet watch, the bracelet and lugs flowed nicely and that effect was more marked on a slightly larger/flatter wrist than mine. The current version, with the 19mm bracelet, possibly loses this nuance and isn`t as appealing. I can`t see why they altered the bracelet size, makes no sense to me.

Every time I handle one of Eddie's PRS 25s I marvel at what good value they are compared to the Explorer, probably not a fair comparison but it underlines the futility of Rolex prices.

Master
    All this BS from ADs makes me want to wander into a Rolex AD, act the innocent, saying I've always dreamed of buying a Rolex but couldn't afford it until now, then when they come out with their BS about 'Roadmaps to buying', act all outraged and walk out in a huff!

If I did, knowing my luck, that would be the day they've actually got one and were keen to sell!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MrGrumpy View Post
    All this BS from ADs makes me want to wander into a Rolex AD, act the innocent, saying I've always dreamed of buying a Rolex but couldn't afford it until now, then when they come out with their BS about 'Roadmaps to buying', act all outraged and walk out in a huff!

If I did, knowing my luck, that would be the day they've actually got one and were keen to sell!
    Try telling them that your ‘roadmap’ to buying a platinum Daytona starts with them selling you an Explorer and cutting the cr*p.

Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    Try telling them that your ‘roadmap’ to buying a platinum Daytona starts with them selling you an Explorer and cutting the cr*p.
    LOL they’ll Chuck him out.

Craftsman
    what is a VIP nowadays ?

I’m pretty important to my kids , maybe less so at work.

I don't quite get what has changed so much.
    In August last year, with no previous history with the AD (WoS) I rang and asked about a 214270 39mm Explorer.
    5 days later I got the call and went and picked it up.
    The sales guy told me that it was very much seen as an entry level Rolex and as such fairly easy to get.

The demand for the Explorer must have gone through the roof if the new model is so hard to get.

Quote Originally Posted by 2ptjoe View Post
    what is a VIP nowadays ?

I’m pretty important to my kids , maybe less so at work.
    We are all VIPs to someone, just not to the ADs lol

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    I don't quite get what has changed so much.
    In August last year, with no previous history with the AD (WoS) I rang and asked about a 214270 39mm Explorer.
    5 days later I got the call and went and picked it up.
    The sales guy told me that it was very much seen as an entry level Rolex and as such fairly easy to get.

The demand for the Explorer must have gone through the roof if the new model is so hard to get.
    Demand has indeed gone through the roof.
    Even steel datejusts 41 are waiting list pieces, especially with the desirable dials eg Wimbledon, Azzurro etc

Craftsman
    They all seem to be heading onto the flipping waiting list.
    Its my wifes 50th in 3 years. I might go and see what is available in the ladies styles then keep it ready.

Things have certainly gone crazy over the past 12 months.

I was told last week by an AD that currently there are longer wait lists with them for the funky coloured OP's that a Submariner!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 2ptjoe View Post
    They all seem to be heading onto the flipping waiting list.
    Its my wifes 50th in 3 years. I might go and see what is available in the ladies styles then keep it ready.
    We are now looking for Mrs P, she has a few quid to spend and I was quite wrong to think a 31mm DJ would be easy buy.

Pitch