closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Shipment of a large parcel; update in posting #25

Blog Entries

Shipment of a large parcel; update in posting #25

I stumbled -with a lot of luck- on 4 lightweight wheels for my Saab. Those wheels were only produced in 1971 and were only available on some Sonett models. Estimates are that less than 500 sets were sold. And now, I can get my hands on a complete set, including bolts!

Anyway, the seller has no idea about shipping to the Netherlands. I do know a thing or two about shipping a watch from the UK to me, but I never had to deal with a parcel the size of 4 15" wheels (no tyres). I really would like to read your suggestions or experience. I'm afraid that anything less than a good proposal (for the seller how to ship), will lead to a 'no sell'.

Traveling to the UK is not an option. We (Dutch) are on the 'naughty chair' due to Covid: very dark 'red' and some patches of the country are 'black'...

Menno
    Last edited by thieuster; 9th December 2021 at 19:11.

Look up Parcel2go for him and see what is available from all the shippers to EU?

Master
    It’ll be 4x parcels to stay under the courier weight limits, try the above and also Postagesupermarket & Transglobalexpress

Master
    If no postage option, perhaps a member in the UK will take delivery and arrange with you direct. Where in the UK is the seller based?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mtagrant View Post
    If no postage option, perhaps a member in the UK will take delivery and arrange with you direct. Where in the UK is the seller based?
    That's not clear yet. I have the idea that the seller is not really 'web-savvy'.

DHL could do it I’m sure.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    That's not clear yet. I have the idea that the seller is not really 'web-savvy'.
    In that case, I would arrange for a local TZer to buy them for you and arrange the shipping rather than ask the seller to do it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    In that case, I would arrange for a local TZer to buy them for you and arrange the shipping rather than ask the seller to do it.
    Definitely- someone must be close

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lewie View Post
    Definitely- someone must be close
    Yep - ask him where he is, and then post on here for volunteers. If he is near Southampton / Winchester, I am happy to help

They've got to be bought Menno. Buy them, let someone on TZ hoard them until collection can be arranged. I am happy to help if in my neck of the woods.
    Last edited by unclealec; 26th November 2021 at 20:52.

Master
    In the off chance the seller is in NI, happy to help too. I run a mail order business so it would be no problem at all to arrange / package etc

Craftsman
    Happy to help if seller is in the Hertfordshire, Bedfordshire, Buckinghamshire area.

Blog Entries
    I'm still in the process of 'waiting for pics'. He'll send them on Monday. I suppose that he needs help emailing me the pics. I will take action from there.

For now, to all of you above: thanks for the suggestions and the offers to help me!

Menno

Master
    Lots of offers to onward ship so I guess that’s covered, have you looked at https://www.shiply.com/ load sharing and multiple bidders on a job so you might find a good price on a load already going to NL

Master
    As per my PM, I'm happy to cover the seafreight on this for you if it helps.

Cambridgeshire and East Anglia here and happy to help.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Master
    SE Kent

Blog Entries
    What a response!!! Thanks all.

I'm going to contact the seller and ask where he -more or less- lives (not his full address at this moment, that might scare him off). I'll post his replay asap.

These wheels are from Unobtainium so to speak. And the asking price is relatively very reasonable. All I hope that the wheels are not cracked etc. I'm keeping in mind that the small alloy center caps will be missing. But a lathe will solve that problem.

Here's a pic from the 'net with a Saab Sonett II with those wheels. ('Sonett' stands for the Swedish 'so nett' - how beautiful; and not for the poems).

Menno
    Last edited by thieuster; 27th November 2021 at 08:49.

Quote Originally Posted by lewie View Post
    SE Kent
    I can cover East Sussex

Blog Entries
    That was quick: Chesham, Bucks.

Not my patch sadly, but Im sure someone here will help.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Master
    We could do a TZ relay

Blog Entries
    An update:

I've seen pics of the wheels: https://flic.kr/p/2mMsDL2

For Saab aficionados, being able to buy these wheels is like being able to have an MoD Rolex Submariner on your wrist for not too much money! Scares as hen's teeth. What's more: the bolts are included.

Anyway, a fellow forumite here who's professionally involved in shipping (large) goods has sent me a PM offering me help. It involves some work for the seller (pallet I think), so I hope he's willing to prepare the shipment properly. Next hurdle is Paypal or not... Fingers crossed. (I will only send him the money after he has agreed to do the work for the shipment).

Menno

Sounds like great forum spirit all round.

Sent through the ether by diddling with radio waves

Menno, I would suggest that you verify that the wheels are exactly what you want and that the condition is satisfactory, then agree to buy them.
    We have a friend in The Riley RM Club who is not too far away from Chesham and who would I have no doubt be delighted to arrange for the collection, palletting, and maybe even payment. If your forum shipping contact can take care of the rest - job done!

If they are as rare and hard to find as you suggest, they really do need to be bought.

Blog Entries
    An Update:

There were lots of ideas and comments 'how to' when I posted my initial question. Even some of us here wanted to help: collecting the parcel etc.

I received a PM from a fellow forumite. I won't reveal who he is - after all, he sent me his offer to help me via PM.

This fellow forumite told me that he would take care of everything. Which he did: he arranged the collection of the pallet + 4 boxes from the seller's address and made sure that I was able to collect it today from a warehouse in the Netherlands.

Mind you, the fellow forumite and myself never spoke/PM'd before, and we have no prior history in selling/buying watches from each other. He simply offered to help and he did help me.

Sometimes we comment on the not-so-friendly atmosphere here on TZ-UK when it comes to sales posts or even the BP. But this whole action shows that there are silent types on the forum who simply help and 'deliver' without any reservation or 'ifs' and 'buts'. This really lightens up the day.

I'm glad that I'm a member here. To put that into practice: the fellow forum member who helped me, didn't want any money for it. So, we agreed that I should make a donation to the Fundraiser. Which I did!
    Last edited by thieuster; 9th December 2021 at 20:00.

Master
    A bit awkward this but here goes...

I wanted to help, I've been a regular visitor to the forum for a long while now and have generally enjoyed myself here.

I don't get involved in online spats, they are pointless and soul destroying even if they can boost your post count tremendously!

When I read Menno's post I knew I could help. This is my profession, I have many friends and colleagues in the industry and the company I work for has a strong relationship between the Netherlands and the UK.

Solving the problem was a relatively simple task, calling in a favour or two and getting things done. It's part of why I enjoy my job so much.

I'm not outing myself for any other purpose than to appreciate Menno's thanks and reiterate his words about the better side of being a part of this wonderful forum.

It's been a grim time for so many people it is just a good thing to do to make somebody else happy.

Master
    Excellent effort Puntsdog and for a member who once helped me out with socks so good karma well done both.

Quote Originally Posted by Puntsdog View Post

Bravo! Well done that man!
    F.T.F.A.

Master
    A great outcome, good work Puntsdog

Great stuff, TZ at its best.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Master
    Blog Entries
    You are what makes the world go round. Respect!

Jim

I wanted to help, I've been a regular visitor to the forum for a long while now and have generally enjoyed myself here.

I don't get involved in online spats, they are pointless and soul destroying even if they can boost your post count tremendously!

When I read Menno's post I knew I could help. This is my profession, I have many friends and colleagues in the industry and the company I work for has a strong relationship between the Netherlands and the UK.

Solving the problem was a relatively simple task, calling in a favour or two and getting things done. It's part of why I enjoy my job so much.

I'm not outing myself for any other purpose than to appreciate Menno's thanks and reiterate his words about the better side of being a part of this wonderful forum.

It's been a grim time for so many people it is just a good thing to do to make somebody else happy.

Fantastic. What a gent.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Brilliant, done in the true spirt of the forum.
    You are a gent.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    Great stuff, TZ at its best.
    Absolutely - what a great gesture, Puntsdog

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk