closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Mescal, any experts?

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

Mescal, any experts?

Never tried it, would like to, do any of our resident imbibers have recommendations?

Cheers

Mike
    Last edited by seadog1408; 26th November 2021 at 18:59.

You watching Rick Stein?

You have to eat the worm. That's the law.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    You watching Rick Stein?
    Yes 👍

A friend who got very into the stuff whilst in Mexico a couple of years ago bought me this a while ago, I’m slowly working my way through it, the nights I fancy a swift mezcal are few and far between to be honest. But…. It’s very very good.

Back in the 90s I had a few shots of some local brew mescal at lunchtime in a semi-remote area of Mexico, after which we went water skiing. Perhaps it loosened us up but I performed better than I might have expected!

Regardless, the taste is not something to savour

Was lucky enough to once try some mescaline, epic, highly visual but still manageable, I say eat the worm/peyote.
    Last edited by Passenger; 26th November 2021 at 20:22.

I'd suggest getting a tasting set from one of the usual whisky/spirits online companies (e.g. the whisky exchange). Like a peated whisky, the smoke in mezcal can range from burnt rubber to campfire to ash, and what you like may take some finding.

I've a few tequilas but only ordered my second ever mezcal earlier this evening!

You're probably already aware that tequila is a type of mezcal in that the latter is defined as an agave based spirit. The difference between the two is that a tequila can only be produced using blue agave grown in specific regions of Mexico whereas mezcal can be distilled from other agave plants and it's those different agaves that can lend certain flavour characteristics along with production methods and aging. It should state on the label exactly which agave plant was used for the contents of that particular bottle.

I'm more of a whisky drinker when it comes to spirits though I can see myself increasing my tequila/mezcal interest, they're misunderstood and under-appreciated in the UK in my opinion.
    Last edited by CardShark; 27th November 2021 at 02:32.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    What did you order?

Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    Was lucky enough to once try some mescaline, epic, highly visual but still manageable, I say eat the worm/peyote.
    im concfused what has an alcholic spirit made from agave got to do with an hallucinogenic drug ?

Quote Originally Posted by pugster View Post
    im concfused what has an alcholic spirit made from agave got to do with an hallucinogenic drug ?
    My mistake.

Break on through, man …

Quote Originally Posted by seadog1408 View Post
    What did you order?
    https://www.houseofmalt.co.uk/produc...ombres-mezcal/

Not from there though, a friend has scored a 35% off voucher for somewhere else so he's getting it for me. Why that one? Its link to Breaking Bad, that's it!

My other bottle - https://www.masterofmalt.com/mezcal/...-mezcal/?srh=1

I can drink it on its own, also makes a fine smoked margarita.
    Last edited by CardShark; 27th November 2021 at 11:38.

My mistake.
    no worries, the mescaline is far more interesting than the mescal - even if it does make you sick as a dog beforehand :)

* drinking too much mescal will also make you sick as a dog

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by seadog1408 View Post
    Never tried it, would like to, do any of our resident imbibers have recommendations?
    There are many different brands so I don't know what's available on your neck of the woods, that being said, don't go for the fancy bottles because you'll get ripped of. The more simple the label the better price/quality you'll get.

Quote Originally Posted by Halitosis View Post
    Regardless, the taste is not something to savour
    Mexicans drink it straight on a single shot, has quite a kick!

Quote Originally Posted by Man of Kent View Post
    You have to eat the worm. That's the law.
    And don't fall for the worm's bullshit, he'll try to talk you out of it!

Quote Originally Posted by CardShark View Post
    I've a few tequilas but only ordered my second ever mezcal earlier this evening!

You're probably already aware that tequila is a type of mezcal in that the latter is defined as an agave based spirit. The difference between the two is that a tequila can only be produced using blue agave grown in specific regions of Mexico whereas mezcal can be distilled from other agave plants and it's those different agaves that can lend certain flavour characteristics along with production methods and aging. It should state on the label exactly which agave plant was used for the contents of that particular bottle.

I'm more of a whisky drinker when it comes to spirits though I can see myself increasing my tequila/mezcal interest, they're misunderstood and under-appreciated in the UK in my opinion.
    This man speaks the truth, agree that both Tequila and Mezcal are criminally underrated across Europe.