closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Nintendo Switch

Master

Nintendo Switch

So as the kids get bigger one of these appears to be top of the list for Christmas. I've never really been into gaming so have never had any of the stock consoles so I thought I'd ask.
    New oled version is out - worth the extra? Is it just the screen or any other changes (I can't see any).

Online - do both (pr all) parties have to have the game itself? I'd assume that one player runs the game and the others log in and use as a satellite but I could be wrong.
    What sort of internet speed do you need. Being in the sticks we have BT at about 4mb (current) or stand alone internet from Gigaclear at many hundreds (well 1 or 2) which is newly available. We manage quite happily on BT currently but is it going to groan badly?

How fast do upgrades come along and are they usually retro compatible for games cartridges?

Thanks all.

OLED is bigger and has more memory but getting hold of one won’t be easy this side of Xmas.

When you say playing online, do you mean on the TV? You can play multi player on the Tv but I don’t think it works online.

Craftsman
    I have both the original Switch and the new OLED, and the OLED is totally worth the extra imho.
    The screen is leagues ahead of the old LED screen, more onboard memory (64gb, although you will still need a micro SD), much better battery life, and a proper kick stand. All kind of minor upgrades by themselves, but it starts to stack up together. The other aspect is build quality. The OLED feels much higher build quality with nicer materials.

Master
    My youngest has the original Switch, the only game she plays online is Among Us which needs everybody to have the game downloaded onto their console. I'm assuming that it's the same for all games as you need to boot up the game on your console then join an online game through the game itself (if you get what I mean). If you want to get hold of the new version then start looking now as going to be really hard to buy.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Toddy View Post
    My youngest has the original Switch, the only game she plays online is Among Us which needs everybody to have the game downloaded onto their console. I'm assuming that it's the same for all games as you need to boot up the game on your console then join an online game through the game itself (if you get what I mean). If you want to get hold of the new version then start looking now as going to be really hard to buy.
    I bought the new version from Tesco. They had lots in stock. Worth trying because they don't sell online and not the most obvious place for people to check.

They also have an offer for half prices off selected games when bought with the console.

Craftsman
    We've had the original Switch for a few years and bought Switch Lites last Christmas. The lites don't get a lot of use, mainly just long car journeys and holidays. The original Switch get's the most use and it's always used for playing multiplayer games on the TV such as Mario Cart, Mario Party and various Lego games and we've never really used the small screen it comes with. Depends what the price difference is but not sure the OLED would be a must have for me.

Master
    Thanks all, Oled it is, if we can get one!

think the online gaming works best with the nintendo subscription. Nintendo Switch Online i think its called.

not super expensive, but not free either.

Blog Entries
    Looking for OLED too, have pre-ordered from Very, but let me know if you find avaikablity elsewhere.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ~dadam02~ View Post
    Looking for OLED too, have pre-ordered from Very, but let me know if you find avaikablity elsewhere.
    I saw that, do you have to pay up front? Quoting delivery before xmas so might be ok.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidL View Post
    I saw that, do you have to pay up front? Quoting delivery before xmas so might be ok.
    Yes I paid upfront. They were quoting 21st Dec if I recall which was at least specific rather than all others where no date was specified and looked to be more of a gamble. Very charge £3.99 for delivery but you can get Quidco cashback which almost covered that delivery cost, and it tracked straight away. Will let you know if I find any other availability out there.
    Last edited by ~dadam02~; 16th November 2021 at 19:59.

Master
    Just pre ordered with very too. Hopefully that will come through.

Master
    Nintendo have some white ones currently (there were red/blue last night too but not now) and argos had a few yesterday but they didn't last long, if nayone is looking.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidL View Post
    Just pre ordered with very too. Hopefully that will come through.
    And low and behold mine turned up in the post today, so that's almost a month earlier than expected.

Got one from Nintendo. Ordered Friday evening it arrived Wednesday. Happy days.

White ones in stock at Smyths

Master
    And so we now have 2! One can go back but I wasn't expecting the Very one quite so soon.