closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Storm Arwen

Friends of ours in static caravan site in Ambleside report fallen trees blocking entrance and exit, few static homes smashed by trees, two moored up boats sunk and jetty ripped free from shore.
    Last edited by brigant; 27th November 2021 at 13:46. Reason: Spelling

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    We replaced 3/4 of our fences in the summer and they’re fine so far. The remaining fence between us and next door is old and he refused to have it replaced at the same time as ours, tying it with pathetic pieces of string. Well, it’s gone now!!
    Are we allowed to laugh at this? If not then sorry for your neighbour's loss

I am so knackered from no sleep last night (and also with being on holiday on Friday my days are all adrift) I thought today was Sunday. Logged into TF at 1:55pm but then thought the site was malfunctioning, as I couldn't add anything to my basket...

Took me a whole 10 minutes to realize today is Saturday and not Sunday... clearly I need some sleep!

Sent through the ether by diddling with radio waves

I heard the letter box lid rattle a bit in the night but nothing other than that.

Took Dot out this morning, perfectly calm.

I don't know what all the fuss is about.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Yorkshiremadmick View Post
    I was in London in the 80’s when Michael Fish got it so wrong. London & the South East lost 1000’s of trees and properties were wrecked & demolished 1987

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I watched that forecast on the day amd will never forget it (it was 1987, I think). The following morning - we lived in in Barnet at the time - there was a tree down in the front garden two houses away; amusingly, it was lying across the bed of a truck that had "Tree Surgery" advertised on it.

Was that when Sevenoaks lost it's oaks?
    Last edited by learningtofly; 27th November 2021 at 15:27.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    I watched that forecast on the day amd will never forget it (it was 1987, I think). The following morning - we lived in in Barnet at the time - there was a tree down in the front garden two houses away; amusingly, it was lying across the bed of a truck that had "Tree Surgery" advertised on it.

I was wondering if there was already a comparison between those storms. Or was the 80s storm considered more severe because it hit the densely populated areas of the UK?

Yep Sevenoaks lost hundreds if not thousands of trees along with many other woods and forests that were devastated. I had to drive from Brixton to Colindale it was a nightmare.
    Michael Fish said nothing to worry about. Someone had said a tornado was going hit, rubbish. Then Boom it hit.
    20plus people lost their lives from memory

Quote Originally Posted by Yorkshiremadmick View Post
    Yep Sevenoaks lost hundreds if not thousands of trees along with many other woods and forests that were devastated. I had to drive from Brixton to Colindale it was a nightmare.
    Michael Fish said nothing to worry about. Someone had said a tornado was going hit, rubbish. Then Boom it hit.
    20plus people lost their lives from memory
    22 deaths, 15 million trees uprooted.

22 deaths, 15 million trees uprooted.
    Wow

Quote Originally Posted by Tabs View Post
    She's just claimed her first scalp here in Liverpool. Just glad it fell toward our drive and not the neighbors....

The posts were rotten at the base. Should be a relatively easy fix but it'll have to wait until the weather calms down.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    Hey! Instant decking. :)

Craftsman
    Travelled up to our place near Cartmel on Thursday, bright but very cold (alfresco dining wasn't such a great idea) at Cartmel Christmas Fare yesterday.

The wind started up after we'd left the evening procession event around 7.30 pm the went crazy for the night and well into this morning (hot tub lid went airbourne and outside furniture well and truly re-arranged, TV signal went out around 10 pm).

Decided to come home early as many places shut due to power outages (we were ok but many shops in Grange over Sands - 3 miles away - were without power).

Got home (Marple) to find snow and some fencing down.

Opened the curtains this morning to see my neighbour’s fake grass lifted and basically folded in half. That’s a first for me.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I remember the last time it snowed in November. we had the beast from the east after Christmas.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaffe View Post
    Hey! Instant decking. :)
    If only it were that simple! Not much was salvageable so most of it has ended up in the local tip.

Old posts have now been dug out and an order going in on Monday for new posts, batons and panels. Just needs to hold for another couple of years then it'll get done properly with oak.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Tabs View Post
    If only it were that simple! Not much was salvageable so most of it has ended up in the local tip.

Old posts have now been dug out and an order going in on Monday for new posts, batons and panels. Just needs to hold for another couple of years then it'll get done properly with oak.

Have similar to do with three boundary fence panels and two posts failing during the continued high winds today, which are behind a hawthorn hedge; the only thing now keeping it sort of upright.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by sprite1275 View Post
    I remember the last time it snowed in November. we had the beast from the east after Christmas.
    I remember the Beast from the East which was followed by the Pest from the West. Fortunately, nothing came from the front.

So my smugness at the back garden fences surviving Storm Arwen didn't last long. Some very powerful gusts on the North East coast in the last hour have snapped three vertical posts and ripped apart two six-foot panels. So that's next weekend's jobs already planned. I hate wind (and garden fences).

Trampoline destroyed and hanging from a tree. Christ knows the damage that could have caused had it not snagged the tree.

Blog Entries
    Quite windy here on the Continent. I have booked a tree feller company for Tuesday to clear the rubble. Experience…

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    Quite windy here on the Continent. I have booked a tree feller company for Tuesday to clear the rubble. Experience…
    We had a 30m tall Pine tree snap it's trunk (about 1 metre up from its base) in the storms a few weeks ago. I've just had to pay someone to fell 25 of its companions as they were far to close to the road for comfort. The bill made my eyes water, but at least we can sleep at night without fearing the worst.

My Sister in law is currently giving us updates on the damage being caused to her equestrian centre in Aberdeenshire......... it doesn't sound good.

Blog Entries
    I have a few hundred of this sort of 30m behemoths on my grounds. However, experience tells me that the birches go first... The three dry summers-in-a-row have caused havoc among birches (fungus etc) and they're not strong enough to stay in place. Luckily, all are too far from my house to cause a threat. Trees covered with ivy are a great risk as well: the trunk doesn't bend well, so the crown can snap off just about the highest spot where the ivy grows. Remove the ivy from your trees in the spring. Your trees will thank you.

The wind is picking up 'as we speak' and the temperature is rising. Mostly not a good sign during the winter. I guess there's more wind to come.

Last year I'd commissioned the (prementioned) professional tree feller with the project of pruning of trees (oak mainly) along 450m where my grounds are parallel with the road. Removing overhanging branches, removing 'iffy' trees. For insurance reasons only, I tell you. And yes that was expensive. But a claim or law suit is more expensive.

Pine trees can be cut to planks 'on location'; I sell my pine trees and the oak trunks to a guy for carpentry wood. Ask around if that's possible where you live. A local guy comes with a mobile saw table and cuts the trees into planks and takes them away. What's left is saw dust.

The birches are stored for the wood stove.

Apart from that: I need a bigger chain saw... A Husqvarna 555 would make me very happy.
    Last edited by thieuster; 29th January 2022 at 16:51.

Sounds like you caught some very high winds up North. Hope everyone is OK.

We've had some slight breezes here, didn't realise it was so bad elsewhere.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master
    Lost 50 mature Scots pines in Storm Arwen . One on the dining room roof . 2 demolished my shed. One on my trailer with the Merlyn FF in it. 16 ripped up the 200m fence Stiglet Jr and I built during the first lockdown. We were without power and water for 9 days.

Lost another 15 trees this morning and am typing this by candlelight as we have no power .. again

Hey ho...

Luckily we have avoided the outages, even though they seem to be all around us..

Last edited by sish101; 29th January 2022 at 19:08.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by stiglet View Post
    Lost 50 mature Scots pines in Storm Arwen . One on the dining room roof . 2 demolished my shed. One on my trailer with the Merlyn FF in it. 16 ripped up the 200m fence Stiglet Jr and I built during the first lockdown. We were without power and water for 9 days.

Lost another 15 trees this morning and am typing this by candlelight as we have no power .. again

Hey ho...
    Fingers crossed for you and yours.

We lived for 7 years some 50 metres from the Moray Firth, so we're only too aware of how bad it can get up there.
    Last edited by catflem; 29th January 2022 at 18:50.

Master
    Cheers. I bought a small generator after Arwen so we can run the kettle etc. I don't think it will be such a long outage this time as Arwen brought 3 trees down on the power lines which ripped the electricity pole from the ground. That in turn pulled the cables and the bracket (and a chunk of masonary ) from the corner of our gable

Malik wasn't quite as bad

And tomorrow... Storm Corrie. Great.

Blog Entries
    The one hitting the UK and tomorrow us (Netherlands) is called Corrie. After the first Dutch female meteorologist. Mrs. Corrie van Dijk started working at the Royal Dutch Met Office in 1964 and she's been on TV lately, telling how honored she is that there's a storm named after her.

I don't think that Dutch meteo came up with that name for the '20/'21 list with in mind the fact that this one would be one that can cause us (Dutch) a lot of havoc - even in-land. Or is this 'reap what you sow'?

(BTW, did you know that certain names that were once on a storm/hurricane list are no longer in use? The name Katrina will never been used again after the August 2005 disaster in the New Orleans area).

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    The one hitting the UK and tomorrow us (Netherlands) is called Corrie. After the first Dutch female meteorologist. Mrs. Corrie van Dijk started working at the Royal Dutch Met Office in 1964 and she's been on TV lately, telling how honored she is that there's a storm named after her.

I don't think that Dutch meteo came up with that name for the '20/'21 list with in mind the fact that this one would be one that can cause us (Dutch) a lot of havoc - even in-land. Or is this 'reap what you sow'?

(BTW, did you know that certain names that were once on a storm/hurricane list are no longer in use? The name Katrina will never been used again after the August 2005 disaster in the New Orleans area).
    My mother informed me with glee the name of this storm. It’s a nickname for a soap opera set in the area she lives.

She then texted me other storm names based on soap operas. Awful.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Fender View Post
    My mother informed me with glee the name of this storm. It’s a nickname for a soap opera set in the area she lives.

She then texted me other storm names based on soap operas. Awful.
    The list with storm names is composed by names from (at least) UK Met Office, Irish Met Office and the Dutch Met Office. I know that (e.g.) do not participate because they have storms in the south as well and they use their own system to count/give them names.

The Dutch Met Office has come up with names (F/M) from people who had a significant role in Dutch Meteo or are related to weather phenomena in the Netherlands. (E.g. 'Tineke'. That's the name of a female speed-skater who won the 200+km race called the Elfstedentocht (The Eleven Town Tour). That race is only possible when it's extremely cold, due to the special conditions of the ice (thickness). Men and women have their own category; all skate 200+kms; only a handful make it to the finish line.

Blog Entries
    Lots of wind here. Snapping branches. No fallen trees as far as I can see.

I was awoken at 0350hrs by the sound of roof tiles smashing. Got up, looked outside & saw that the house across the road from me had lost a couple of ridge & roof tiles which had landed on their driveway.

Got back to sleep at about 0500hrs due to the very high winds. Was woken at 0800hrs by roofers arriving to fix the roof across the road! They were gone by 0845hrs (and yes, I did make a note of their phone number)...
    ______

​Jim.

Blog Entries
    The storm has gone. Interesting to see that it's 'path' was narrow. Only 100 km wide! As a result, all the energy had to be 'channeled', leaving a trace of havoc and debris.

I think we escaped from major damage. It's still blowing 20 knots or so, so I won't go into the forest to assess the damage. That will be a Wednesday morning job when the wind will die down again. We must have some damage to trees. Around noon, I heard a lot of cracking noises. A very big, thick branch or a tree, I suppose. All I can see in the garden is a ton of branches and pieces of tree on the grass.

Walking the dog was an adventure. I didn't take the normal route through the forest. I turned to paths between the meadows in front of my house. Ruthless wind, but no trees to kill me.