closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Standing desks - any recommendations?

Standing desks - any recommendations?

My temporary £50 desk is now over a year old so I need to get something a bit more permanent. I’m going to get an electric sit/stand desk and thought I’d double check with the hive mind to see if there’s a stand out winner first.

The shortlist so far is the IKEA Bekant, Flexispot E8 and the Fully.com Jarvis V2. It’s probably between the IKEA and Flexispot as the Fully model can get quite expensively once you upgrade to a larger size. I’d normally just go for the IKEA model but the Flexispot has a memory function I’ll probably never use…

Master
    My mate works for the distributor of these, very good by all accounts

https://yo-yodesk.co.uk/pages/best-s...RoCRVsQAvD_BwE

Master
    I have a Furna and I'm very happy with it. Managed to pick one up 2nd hand

https://www.furna.co.uk/collections/...sit-stand-desk

I find the memory function very useful. One press and desk is at the perfect height (also stops it going too high and puling on cables or hitting a shelf i have). Another press and its back at the perfect sitting height.

Mine came with a top that i don't use as I made my own to match the rest of the office furniture. The top was really heavy so I could easily go bigger with a lighter top and not worry about the motor power.

I have just ordered a corner one of these as wanted a standing option. Will report next week when it arrives:

Height Adjustable Standing Desk,L-Shaped Computer Desk for Home Electric Sit Stand Desk 110x110 cm Gaming Desk Home Office Stand up Desk,Home/Office Furniture (Gray) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09H2P6N...7BXYYG1SJVQGF6

OP, why the stand-up facility? You sure you'd use it? More choice obviously if you didn't need it.

Master
    Think IKEA do an adjustable desk.. not sure if available where you are.

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/uppspel...ack-s69430192/

Sent from my EVR-L29 using Tapatalk

Master
    Last edited by Rob s; 29th November 2021 at 10:33.

I bought an electric standing desk from a company called Dellonda last year. It is excellent - better than the one I have at work that doubtless cost much, much more - I like the programmable height, it is quiet and changes from sit to stand in a few seconds. It was chosen mainly on price and size as I didn’t want to spend too much but I also went for the high lift capacity (probably overkill…).

Anyway, I see they have a wide range and also have 20% off for Black Friday. The model I bought is £264 this weekend. HTH

Journeyman
    Another vote her for the Yo-yo desk here , I’ve been using one for the past 2 years following back surgery and they are really easy to vary the height . What I would advise is the purchase of an anti fatigue mat if you haven’t got one already , I initially thought it was unlikely to make much difference but since my employer was paying got one anyway , totally reduced the amount of tiredness I felt at the end of the day and so worth it.

Yo-yo desk is the number one according to The Independent but they don’t review any of the IKEA models which is surprising. The Yo-yo gets expensive once you upgrade to the medium size and add the memory setting - £700. Bit rich for me.

I have an electric sit/stand desk at work but I haven’t been in the office since March 2019. I really think standing for a part of the day is much better for my back and with two monitors I’ll never unplug and stand elsewhere.

Thank you for the recommendations. I think I’ll take a punt on the IKEA gaming chair due to the memory function and price. Martin Lewis thinks there might be an IKEA discount day on 13th Dec so will try to grab one then.

Master
    IKEA was a faff, wasn’t secure when extended if weight on the edge such as elbows. We got one from Amazon that has been reliable and a good range of adjustment with a safe motor and power supply.

They also sell the frame and motor separately if you want to use your own work surface.

Master
    I have the larger size ikea idarsen . Think it was about £500 and they dudn’t have the wood colour I wanted so ended up with a black one.

No complaints , it holds two monitors and has net baskets underneath to hold and take the strain from cables . Solid as a rock . No memory function but I’ve never found it necessary .

It was a bit of a faf to screw together as the bolt holes were innacurate and did not line up accurately enough . I managed to get most of the through but one needed drilling out to get better alignment . Probably not easy unless you have a power drill and some metal bits handy .

Thank you again to the Hive Mind. No chance of seeing any of the IKEA options in person, everything is sold out and they don’t know when they’re getting more - just have to take a punt so I’ve gone with the Idasen.

The Bekant doesn’t have great reviews, quite wobbly. The Idasen is made by a different manufacturer, much better reviewed and looks like it will take over from the Bekant. The Uppspel is just a bit too ‘gamer’ for me.

The more I looked into the Jarvis, YoYo, Flexispot the more I struggled to see reviews where the desk wasn’t sent to the user for free so stuck with the IKEA options. Delivery in about three weeks.

Master
    Has anyone tried one of those converters that goes on a normal desk instead? I have a large glass desk (2m*1m) to put one on and it would need to be pretty big as I have 1*35” and 2*23” monitors. The biggest I have seen is about 120cm width which might just about be ok with the screens overhanging the edges

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I did quite a bit of digging into it and in the end bought some legs like this from Amazon: Lubvlook Electric Stand up Desk Frame, Adjustable Height From 70 cm to 118 cm, Sit Stand Home Office Standing Desk Base Width From 106 cm to 150 cm, Black https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08QDM6N...EHYEFAK4BVF973

Then I put an ikea oak worktop on it. Ended up with a really lovely oak sit/stand desk for about half the price of one that’s made of cheap laminated wood. Can find the exact bits I bought if it’s of interest.

So the Amazon one arrived today, assembled easily enough, and pretty solid. Quiet motor with 4 programmable heights. Going to make myself a different top for it though.

Master
    ^^^

Completely OT

Miss my insights bricks, lost them in an office move.

One of the most valuable self awareness things I’ve done personally & for my team in driving effective collaboration, appreciating everyone’s styles.

Be interesting to see how I have changed over the years, especially given some very different corporate cultures.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    In the market for a desk too. Have you got yours yet Wileeeeeey?

Nice looking desk Matt. A lot of people seem to make their own too later on.

Boss13, ordered today, coming 20th Dec. Not a single IKEA with stock of either option so have to order online and pay £40 for delivery. Quite steep delivery charge.

Standing desks - any recommendations?

My ‘Rona Rig’ over the last 18 or so months.

Looking back I can’t believe I was on a fold up table and chair from Costco for so long. My back hurts just looking at those pictures.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Nice looking desk Matt. A lot of people seem to make their own too later on.

Boss13, ordered today, coming 20th Dec. Not a single IKEA with stock of either option so have to order online and pay £40 for delivery. Quite steep delivery charge.
    Just ordered too. Agree on the deliver charge and no store availability. Slightly annoying. But at least it is room of choice apparently so will see if they can take it to the attic where it needs to go!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt8500 View Post
    So the Amazon one arrived today, assembled easily enough, and pretty solid. Quiet motor with 4 programmable heights. Going to make myself a different top for it though.

That looks like you’ve been naughty. Are you told to stand in the corner and think about what you’ve done?

Quote Originally Posted by joe narvey View Post
    That looks like you’ve been naughty. Are you told to stand in the corner and think about what you’ve done?
    Every day…

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    ^^^

Completely OT

Miss my insights bricks, lost them in an office move.

One of the most valuable self awareness things I’ve done personally & for my team in driving effective collaboration, appreciating everyone’s styles.

Be interesting to see how I have changed over the years, especially given some very different corporate cultures.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Could not agree more, coincidently I have just run a session with my whole team. It really gets a conversation going about why conflict can happen and why diverse teams make better decisions. My team is surprisingly balanced!

If you want some blocks, PM your address and I will post

I have a Vari-Desk Pro plus 36.

https://www.vari.com/uk/en/sit-stand...6/DC-PP36.html

It is well made and I would recommend it, but I just couldn't get on with a standing desk all day so it hardly got used.

I ended up buying a Steelcase Gesture chair - which I prefer if i'm going to be working at a desk for a few hours.

Last edited by studly; 2nd December 2021 at 12:53.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt8500 View Post
    Could not agree more, coincidently I have just run a session with my whole team. It really gets a conversation going about why conflict can happen and why diverse teams make better decisions. My team is surprisingly balanced!

If you want some blocks, PM your address and I will post
    That is a great balance you have there! I’ve seen too many where managers hire people like themselves. One team I was in had a single person with green preference surrounded by a team of reds, bless him.

Very kind offer, pm on its way.

Master
    Our company uses a lady who sends management a test to then plot where on the chart everyone is. Is there another way to achieve that circle with all the spots without using this process!?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Boss13 View Post
    Our company uses a lady who sends management a test to then plot where on the chart everyone is. Is there another way to achieve that circle with all the spots without using this process!?
    Myers Briggs does a 16 box output, but this is the only one I know with the circle. Resonates as you flex across to your opposite style to bring them with you etc.

Can’t recall the price of completing the questions, but it is the coaching and understanding after where the value really comes to life.

Can give you a great intro to a coach if you’re interested, I have used him several times in the past to great result.

Sorry for another OT post.

I want a standing desk but all seem too deep for my space.

The wheel I posted is discovery insights profiles not MBTI. Was done by my HR team so not sure how easy to do without the tools. As above the most important thing is the training and interpretation that follows.