closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: 2020 - a year of lego

2020 - a year of lego

Figure there's enough Lego fans here to appreciate this...

On reflection 2020 has been a pretty significant year of lego consumption in our household (and I'm sure many others). With lockdowns and a lot of spare time it has been a pleasant distraction and form of entertainment for myself and the kids.

With two kids under 10 in the house there's always been a lot of lego but this year things have really escalated with some large models taken on.

Highlights include;

Saturn V and launch tower (now installed at my father's house).

Land Rover Defender including lighting kit

Ken Block Hoonicorn (with some great chinglish to avoid copyright)

It's extraordinary how the kits have expanded in size and complexity (the land rover has a hi/low range 4 speed gearbox!!) along with the attention to detail. Really enjoyed the builds and seeing how they come together.

It's also been interesting to order a few AliExpress sets to obtain otherwise unavailable models. There's been a couple of missing/low quality pieces but it's been easily fixed with our large pile of pieces. Overall I've been impressed with the quality and they're superb for the price.

Looking forward to what 2021 brings...top of the list at the moment is a star destroyer to go with the Saturn V.

Curious to see others Lego builds for the year.

You should try some of the construction models, like the digger and dump truck here, The Batmobile Tumbler I had to buy from a Bricklink seller, but most of the others have been bought during lockdown with pretty good discounts here in NL ( Intertoys regularly have 20/30% off).

I’ve just ordered my second load of Lighting kits too (50% off) so just have to wait for the international post backlog to clear,

Quote Originally Posted by robcuk View Post
    You should try some of the construction models, like the digger and dump truck here, The Batmobile Tumbler I had to buy from a Bricklink seller, but most of the others have been bought during lockdown with pretty good discounts here in NL ( Intertoys regularly have 20/30% off).

I’ve just ordered my second load of Lighting kits too (50% off) so just have to wait for the international post backlog to clear,

Blimey! It looks like you nearly buy every model!

I received the Batwing from the wife for Christmas but I need to finish my Lamborghini first.

PS isn’t your Batwing upside down?

Quote Originally Posted by paw3001 View Post

PS isn’t your Batwing upside down?
    Is it? :-) I’ve swapped the bracket to hang it this way, as I preferred it over the traditional’ symbol.

I’ve had some since 2016, when I was recuperating from Surgery, including Wall-e and the Apollo stuff.

Most of us would call it a year of Lego bricks underfoot...

Quote Originally Posted by robcuk View Post
    Is it? :-) I’ve swapped the bracket to hang it this way, as I preferred it over the traditional’ symbol.

I’ve had some since 2016, when I was recuperating from Surgery, including Wall-e and the Apollo stuff.
    Ha ha!

I have to say I am jealous of your tumbler...those go for a lot nowadays as their are discontinued

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We made a Lego homage to Mondrian's Composition C (No. III) with Red, Yellow and Blue out of Lego as part of a school art project.

Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Quote Originally Posted by paw3001 View Post
    Ha ha!

I have to say I am jealous of your tumbler...those go for a lot nowadays as their are discontinued

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yup, I was looking on BrickLink for over a year before I found one at a reasonable price from an NL seller who had a good reputation.

Worth the wait, but no lighting kit available, I’m doing the lighting kit for the 1989 Batmobile next, so will see if that is adaptable.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Any thoughts on the Saturn?

I have the Caterham, Mini, VW Bus and had the Mustang for Christmas, but keep wanting the Saturn.

Is it too repetitive?

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    Quote Originally Posted by pete-r View Post
    Any thoughts on the Saturn?

I have the Caterham, Mini, VW Bus and had the Mustang for Christmas, but keep wanting the Saturn.

Is it too repetitive?
    It looks pretty impressive when it is built and on display but I did find that it was one of the more dull builds.

The Saturn isn't the most exciting build compared to the technic stuff but the finished model is pretty great.

The launch tower on the other hand was an absolute grind to get finished due to the repetition.

That's a serious collection @robcuk. The large excavator is certainly on the watch list for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Dean Learner View Post
    The Saturn isn't the most exciting build compared to the technic stuff but the finished model is pretty great.

The launch tower on the other hand was an absolute grind to get finished due to the repetition.

That's a serious collection @robcuk. The large excavator is certainly on the watch list for me.
    Don’t hang about, it’s in Lego’s retirement list and is already €150 off here in NL.

It’s remote controlled too!

Here’s a pic with the lighting kit:

Craftsman
    Omg....love the Ken Block....where did you get that ?

Tend to only build cars and Star Wars stuff with my daughter....occasionally I’ll let her build some Harry Potter stuff 😂

Finished the Porsche GR3RSR and the James Bond Aston Martin - very enjoyable.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by PAM580 View Post
    Omg....love the Ken Block....where did you get that ?
    https://a.aliexpress.com/_msqGFKh

Much better than expected considering the price. Was all reasonable quality (some joins are a little rough) and only two small missing pieces which I just pulled out of our pile of pieces. Note it all just comes in a few bags so you'll need to spend a little time size/colour sorting at the start but a fun build that will keep you busy for a while.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Lego has changed. When I was a kid it was a source of creativity ... I had a box of it and I made stuff ...

These days kids slavishly follow instructions and the result is then put on a shelf to be admired and never played with again.

Seems to me something has gone wrong ... except with Lego’s profits.

Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    Lego has changed. When I was a kid it was a source of creativity ... I had a box of it and I made stuff ...

These days kids slavishly follow instructions and the result is then put on a shelf to be admired and never played with again.

That’s not how my kids play with Lego!

Quote Originally Posted by dougair View Post
    That’s not how my kids play with Lego!
    Same here. Plenty of creative builds in our house too which never came with instructions.

The display sets are really just us boring adults doing puzzles, and yes it certainly helps Legos bottom line. Certainly a healthy business these days

Seems a mix in my house to be honest. My kids build the models, adapt the models and build totally new models!

It is only m that slavishly follows the building instructions but then I only buy the big sets which are meant for display rather than play.

We are called Adult Fans of Lego (AFOL)

Quote Originally Posted by Dean Learner View Post
    https://a.aliexpress.com/_msqGFKh

Much better than expected considering the price. Was all reasonable quality (some joins are a little rough) and only two small missing pieces which I just pulled out of our pile of pieces. Note it all just comes in a few bags so you'll need to spend a little time size/colour sorting at the start but a fun build that will keep you busy for a while.

I'm on the fence when it comes to chinese lego rip offs as long as they're original creations may be tempted - but most of these are either direct lego knock offs or they copy the builds from fans innocent enough to post full instructions on the interwebs.

We love the creative stuff and bought a load of 'Lego Dots' for Christmas which are fun from an artistic rather than constructive perspective (see also Post #7).
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Agree.

Same here re Lego building as a boy, mine were often Art Deco houses I had admired. No instructions and when finished it was broken up and put in the box.

It was a kids toy, Lego = play well.

I can't imagine my late Father "playing" with Lego TBH but then the older generation then weren't "Kidults".
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    Agree.

Same here re Lego building as a boy, mine were often Art Deco houses I had admired. No instructions and when finished it was broken up and put in the box.

It was a kids toy, Lego = play well.

I can't imagine my late Father "playing" with Lego TBH but then the older generation then weren't "Kidults".
    Two of my brother in laws are Lego obsessed, their houses are full of huge Star Wars constructions that they don’t allow their kids to touch.

When I visit I pull bits off an reposition them when they are not looking.

Two of my brother in laws are Lego obsessed, their houses are full of huge Star Wars constructions that they don’t allow their kids to touch.

When I visit I pull bits off an reposition them when they are not looking.
    You devil!
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Craftsman
    PSA saw the defender on sale at Amazon for £100 (£160 on Lego’s website)

Craftsman
    Thanks for the heads-up - just ordered. 😂

Jake

Quote Originally Posted by greenandblack View Post
    PSA saw the defender on sale at Amazon for £100 (£160 on Lego’s website)

Something for the Christmas list I feel.

https://www.lego.com/en-us/product/lego-titanic-10294

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    Has anyone here built the lego grand piano?
    I was thinking to get it to build with my daughter (8) as she loves lego and plays the piano and it looks pretty cool. I have not done any of these big kits before though so would be interested to hear how straightforward it is.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Not seen the piano, but has anyone seen the videos on YouTube of the Titanic?! The box alone is huge!!

Master
    That is a super collection!

We're big on Lego in this house, even my wife a bit, but mostly my 13yo lad. He has the Saturn, minus launch tower, tons of star wars and much besides.

My own modest collection is the Beetle, T1 camper* and small Audi Quattro, with the normal 911 for Christmas (if I'm good).

My son is extremely creative with his modelling now, it's become his main hobby in fact. He has built countless starships and other craft of his own design, and even a working pistol with slide that fires a Lego! Some help from t'internet, but he shows a real flare. He wants to be an astrophysicist, but I can see some engineer in him too.

*I'd forgotten- he also converted the T1 camper into a T2 for me, to match our own Brazilian built, albeit in a different colour. It's not as good as the Lego one, but not bad!