closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Vintage Tissot Seastar

Craftsman

Vintage Tissot Seastar

A friend has recently inherited a watch. He is looking to get it tidied up and running smoothly.

Does anyone know anything about these? Age, gold/gold plated, movement, value etc.

Also, any suggestions on what style of strap the watch may have been on or what might suit it well?

1970s, plated, put a leather strap on it and it'll be as cool as a cool thing
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Vintage Tissots can be dated by the movement serial number:

As it is an inheritance then money doesn't really come into it, however be aware that a full service will probably cost more than the watch is worth.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Progressive View Post
    Does anyone know anything about these? Age, gold/gold plated, movement, value etc.

Also, any suggestions on what style of strap the watch may have been on or what might suit it well?
    Age, 70s or maybe early 80s.

Gold plated, probably gold plated brass.

Movement: Don't know, other than obviously automatic. ;-) Would need to be opened to check.

Value: In working condition on a strap, probably £100-£150. [Update: See below]

As for original style of strap, it would most likely have been sold either on a leather strap or gold-plated expanding metal strap. Expanding metal straps were popular in the era of this watch and could have been supplied either by the manufacturer[1] or by the retailer.

A current strap suggestion would be a good quality, croc-pattern, either brown or dark burgundy, leather strap. Would look fantastic.

Footnote:-
    1: I don't know offhand if Tissot were in the habit of supplying expanding metal straps at the time but it is feasible.

** Update **
    I just looked at prices on eBay for similar watches and they've shot up since I last checked. Gold plated brass watches tend to be less valuable than stainless steel but, even so, a price of £100-£400 might be achievable. I suggest such a wide range because prices really do vary.
    Last edited by markrlondon; 25th November 2021 at 18:05. Reason: Updated price estimate

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lampoc View Post
    Vintage Tissots can be dated by the movement serial number:
    That's useful. Thanks for that.

In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Blog Entries
    ^^^ I was wrong: They did do gold plated bracelets for this (or similar) models.

Master
    From the period adverts it would appear that a (black or v dark brown) Hirsch Rally strap would be appropriate.
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/283639107325

Craftsman
    Thanks so much to all those who have commented. I have passed the information on and my friend is really pleased, particularly with the print ads, dating chart and strap suggestions!

For completeness, the watch did come on a gold plated expander bracelet which we suspected was added later, hence him removing it for the photos.
    Last edited by Progressive; 25th November 2021 at 22:41. Reason: Update

Quote Originally Posted by TomGW View Post
    From the period adverts it would appear that a (black or v dark brown) Hirsch Rally strap would be appropriate.
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/283639107325
    Indeed, I have a very similar one that I wear on Hirsch rally, cool little watches. I think they started out late 60's to early 70's(something like '69-'72). Might check that serial number dater above tomorrow.

Just opened mine and checked the serial number with the year dater linked above, mine falls into 1969.