closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Small/sleep suitable wireless earbuds or Bose sleepbuds?

Small/sleep suitable wireless earbuds or Bose sleepbuds?

Having some trouble sleeping at present and the soothing noise of trickling water etc really helps but obviously playing this via my phone and/or a speaker would disturb Mrs Tiny so I’m looking at some very small earbuds or maybe the Bose sleepbuds to wear at night.

Does anyone have any experience of the Bose? I’m conscious they only play sounds from the Bose app rather than, for example, allowing me to play sleep stories or sounds/meditations from the Calm app that I use.

Hence am looking for a pair of either very small, comfortable ear buds like the 1More comfobuds or just going for something like the Bose Sleepbuds (limited functionality and three times the price mind)

Anyone have any real world experience I. Terms of comfort, fit etc (mixture of back and side sleep but mainly on my back)

Thanks in advance

Master
    I wear headphones every night, normally full size wireless cans (i sleep on my back mostly)
    The only problem i found with wireless earbuds was that occasionally (if I spent quite a bit of time on my side)
    the tips would lodge in my ear.
    I picked up a wireless headband which i've yet to try.

maseman

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tiny73 View Post
    the soothing noise of trickling water etc really helps
    That would have me up to the toilet all night!

I had an under pillow speaker but it was wired and that’s no good now the iphone has no headphone socket. I have some mk 1 AirPods and they aren’t too bad. I put one in the ear that’s not on the pillow and can listen to stuff to drift off.

Not sure I could sleep with anything in the ear pressed to the pillow.

This looks slim for under a pillow:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B071RX8BW8
    Last edited by David_D; 17th November 2021 at 20:52.

I’ve finally found earbuds that I can wear in both ears in bed, even sleeping on my side. They’re apple AirPods Pro, not much smaller than others I’ve tried, but the design seems to fit me well and I can finally have sound in both ears.

Would Mrs Tiny wear foam ear plugs allowing you to listen via a speaker?

She may, but I was looking for something more unobtrusive to be honest

Craftsman
    I was looking the other day at these - https://uk.kokoon.io/products/nightbuds

No direct experience but look interesting.

Jake

Quote Originally Posted by Jake View Post
    I was looking the other day at these - https://uk.kokoon.io/products/nightbuds

No direct experience but look interesting.

Jake
    I also had a look at these as the over ears version gets great reviews. There seem to be some reviews saying the fit isn’t great though and the band is “baggy”.

anyhow having read a lot of reviews I’ve ordered a pair of the 1More comfobuds pro as the smallest and most comfortable option for sleeping in. They have an app for ambient sounds but can also play from other apps such as Calm etc. I have M&D MW07 for music so have accepted there isn’t a “one pair does everything” in the TWS arena…

Will feed back on my experiences.

I also had a look at these as the over ears version gets great reviews. There seem to be some reviews saying the fit isn’t great though and the band is “baggy”.

anyhow having read a lot of reviews I’ve ordered a pair of the 1More comfobuds pro as the smallest and most comfortable option for sleeping in. They have an app for ambient sounds but can also play from other apps such as Calm etc. I have M&D MW07 for music so have accepted there isn’t a “one pair does everything” in the TWS arena…

Will feed back on my experiences.
    I have the over ear ones, very comfy and easy to sleep in

I find headphones a little restrictive regardless of the size.

An alternative is to have a good quality small Bluetooth speaker near your head. If it's on a really low volume then she may not be able to hear it, especially if there are two pillows between the speaker and her head.

I use a small JBL and it's great for ambient background noise but I listen to Audible, which also allows me to control the speed and set a timer as well.

In regard to not sleeping, the biggest factor for me is lack of exercise. I can be staring at the clock as it ticks over from 3.59am to 4am and wondering if I should get up.

If I do enough exercise, I'm sleeping whether I want to or not.

Perversely AO exercise isn’t the problem for me, I’m working out most days and feel physically tired but just can’t shut my brain down. Calm helps with the deep sleep body scans but I find I drift and then wake/come round at the end of it (playing through phone speaker).

Master
    Perversely AO exercise isn’t the problem for me, I’m working out most days and feel physically tired but just can’t shut my brain down. Calm helps with the deep sleep body scans but I find I drift and then wake/come round at the end of it (playing through phone speaker).
    You may find yoga Nidra helps. No actual yoga poses as such ( maybe some light stretches at the start) more guided meditation with body scan.
    You can search YouTube to find.
    I’ve done yoga Nidra via zoom before in the evening, very relaxing. I honestly didn’t think it would make any difference, after class watched a bit of tv, went to bed as normal and had a very good nights sleep.

Right, sorry to hear that.

What a pain. I'll run through my checklist and hopefully something might help you.

As I have got older I've noticed I'm hyper-sensitive to caffeine. I thought I must be imagining it but I tested it and if I have even a decaf after 12pm, I find it more difficult to sleep. I think decaf still has caffeine.

Talking heads on a screen is another. Anything with conflict before bed is a mistake. Interviews are quite good on boring subjects. I tend to go for cosmology.

Removing the news - this is critical. Every day it's stuff you cannot resolve. Even TZ is bad now. Nobody wants a resolution just conflict. Avoid. To keep up with news, go for an aggregator site at the end of the week. You'll miss out on some stuff but you can still continue to read The Economist or something a little more challenging to keep your finger on the pulse.

Lastly, supplements. I'm only just reading up now but micro-dosing is an area where there is lots of research. There are lots of natural supplements which can aid relaxation but I can't recommend anything yet as I'm still looking into it. Worth checking the basics though to ensure you are getting what you need.

Thanks for this, much appreciated. Agree on the caffeine front, I’ve limited intake after lunch now (especially as my Jura uses twice as much coffee as my old Nespresso did. Eeek).

Good point on the screen stuff too, I try and read before bed but that doesn’t always help.

As for supplements in the past I’ve found melatonin extremely helpful but had my last tablet last night and no one ships to the UK any more. If anyone knows where to get it from I’m all ears…

Master
    Thanks for this, much appreciated. Agree on the caffeine front, I’ve limited intake after lunch now (especially as my Jura uses twice as much coffee as my old Nespresso did. Eeek).

Good point on the screen stuff too, I try and read before bed but that doesn’t always help.

As for supplements in the past I’ve found melatonin extremely helpful but had my last tablet last night and no one ships to the UK any more. If anyone knows where to get it from I’m all ears…
    This company is one that come us if you search but you drill down and eventually find they’re in the US - but advertise as supplying to the UK:

https://www.biovea.net/uk/help-cente...ailing-address

https://www.nhs.uk/medicines/melatonin/

However, these supplements are not authorised for sale in the UK. Melatonin is a prescription-only medicine in the UK.”
    Last edited by David_D; 18th November 2021 at 13:00.

Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    This company is one that come us if you search but you drill down and eventually find they’re in the US - but advertise as supplying to the UK:

https://www.biovea.net/uk/help-cente...ailing-address

https://www.nhs.uk/medicines/melatonin/

However, these supplements are not authorised for sale in the UK. Melatonin is a prescription-only medicine in the UK.”
    I used evitamins in the past but now they let you you put it in the basket and then tell you “no”. I’ve found another site “discounthealthproducts.com” and tried a small order so let’s see how that goes.

My wife has used galaxy buds (which should now be pretty cheap) and the bud pros - both work really well for this purpose and she's out like a light even if she's stressed. She uses audible books and suchlike.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazydonkey View Post
    My wife has used galaxy buds (which should now be pretty cheap) and the bud pros - both work really well for this purpose and she's out like a light even if she's stressed. She uses audible books and suchlike.
    Are they the bean shaped ones that are effectively like a mini speaker in your ear? (Don’t use tips). They look interesting but the reviews were really mixed. Interesting, how does she find the fit and do they stay in?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    That would have me up to the toilet all night!

I had an under pillow speaker but it was wired and that’s no good now the iphone has no headphone socket.........
    You can buy an adapter to solve your problem.
    Apple Lightning to 3.5 mm Headphone Jack Adapter https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01LWAUW...W4FZ3XH0TF3RJA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Claret67 View Post
    You can buy an adapter to solve your problem.
    Apple Lightning to 3.5 mm Headphone Jack Adapter https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01LWAUW...W4FZ3XH0TF3RJA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Or something like this if you don't want the wires: https://www.amazon.co.uk/APEKX-Bluet...df_B01MUXYVOA/

Those sleep buds look brilliant and may be ideal for my wife, thank you

I'll hang fire until next week in case there's a black friday deal on anywhere but think we'll give them a punt, 90 day no quibble return if they're not satisfactory sounds like a bit of a no brainer

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by SimonH View Post
    Or something like this if you don't want the wires: https://www.amazon.co.uk/APEKX-Bluet...df_B01MUXYVOA/
    Thanks. An Apple product for under £10 too!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by SimonH View Post
    That looks interesting too! Thanks.

Are they the bean shaped ones that are effectively like a mini speaker in your ear? (Don’t use tips). They look interesting but the reviews were really mixed. Interesting, how does she find the fit and do they stay in?
    I think you mean the buds live.....we have the first gen of these
    https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/audio-...29414-pdt.html

and also these
    https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/audio-...20221-pdt.html

You can get the first gen buds for much cheapness on the bay.

In case anyone is planning to order some nightbuds from Kokoon - I've just ordered a pair and they've sent me an email offering anyone I refer a furter 20% discount, so if you are buying PM me with your email address first and I'll send over the email

They're offering 30% off for Black Friday already, so I'm assuming it's 20% off the Black Friday price of £160 (for the nightbuds), bringing it down to £128. I'm also assuming you could use it on the over-ear phones too.

https://uk.kokoon.io/

Master
    Blog Entries
    Not buds, but just saw these on Amazon https://www.amazon.co.uk/Headphones-...5ba3_dt_sl6_ce

Craftsman
    It’s fair to say that my bedtime routine is awful in terms of removing stimulation pre-bed time.

I have caffeine after 6 pm, I exercise late and I read the news or kill time online until I’m ready to sleep.

Without any intervention it used to take me ages to fall asleep. I now wear one AirPod Pro put on a pod cast and within five minutes I’m asleep.

I can fall asleep with two pods in my ears although I’ve stopped doing this for two reasons,

One, it takes longer in the morning to find two AirPods that have dropped out during the night and two, With both pods in I literally couldn’t hear anything, including the wife talking to me.

Wife didn't fancy the kokomo things wit the round-the-head strap, so in the absence of any black friday deals I've taken the gamble on the Bose pods for her. 90 days no quibble return if they're crap so may as well give them a go and see if they help her

Well just by way of a mini review, I’ve been using the comfobuds for a week or so now and can say they are superb. Comfort is spot on (and this from someone who struggles with fit generally) and I can sleep in them, even on my side.

The sound isn’t the best for music but it’s not awful either and is helped massively by getting a good seal. They don’t have microphones for calls but then I didn’t get them for that. However, for their intended purpose (white noise/sleep stories/meditations at bedtime they are absolutely superb. At a third of the price of the Bose equivalent they offer a lot more as they can actually be used for other media in addition.