closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 9 of 32 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Got COVID!

Quote Originally Posted by alexaff View Post
    I know someone who got the first jab at 42 fit and healthy, she had 2 young kids and died of a brain haemorrhage 3 days after the jab. I know 1 person that’s died from the jab and zero thats died from covid although I do know people that have been ill jabbed and hospitalised. Terrible situation.
    I don't know anyone who has died from the vaccine, but my wife's uncle died from Covid last year in hospital.

Although he was 68, but had no underlying health issues before Covid and was not overweight etc.

It was before the vaccines had become available, so who knows if he would have lived if he had been vaccinated.

and to be honest I'd be more worried about ending up in hospital than getting a vaccine.

A study by the British Medical Journal found "medical error" as the third leading cause of death in the USA.

NHS medicine errors alone cause around 22,000 deaths a year and If we knew the real amount of deaths due to negligence on the operating table etc - then none of us would ever want to go to hospital again.

"The Chief Medical Officer for England estimated that 60 000 to 255 000 NHS patients each year suffer serious disability or death as a result of healthcare intervention"

Statistically I have more chance of dying in hospital due to negligence than I have from the vaccine, so I'll take that over the risk of being hospitalised by Covid.

Like tatters said above - there is a risk with everything.

^ This.
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tatters View Post
    I had my Covid vaccine booster today (Pfizer), and a flu jab; I went in there with the understanding that all medical treatments potentially carry some risk, no matter how small, perhaps even a risk of death in very extreme and unusual circumstances. However, I also believe the risk of catching and dying of Covid, albeit low, is greater than the vaccines. I would far rather that Covid never happened at all, or it never spread around the world, but I might as well wish for the moon on a stick. This is the world we live in now, and this is the choice we have to make between relative risks. I trust the scientists and the doctors when they tell us to have the vaccines, rather than trusting in Facebook, or anecdotal evidence on the Internet, or a friend of a friend, when they tell us to not.
    Yep good response too. Just shows we should all respect both sides of the coin. People have a choice and long may it continue, a very slippery slope is to mandate health procedures.

Quote Originally Posted by craig1912 View Post
    Yep good response too. Just shows we should all respect both sides of the coin. People have a choice and long may it continue, a very slippery slope is to mandate health procedures.
    I wonder how you came to that conclusion?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    I wonder how you came to that conclusion?
    ???

???
    There is no logical relation between your post and the one you quoted.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

???
    "Just shows we should all respect both sides of the coin".

Which other side of the coin are you referring to and what did Tatters say that makes you think "respect both sides of the coin" is what he wanted to express?

I had my Covid vaccine booster today (Pfizer), and a flu jab; I went in there with the understanding that all medical treatments potentially carry some risk, no matter how small, perhaps even a risk of death in very extreme and unusual circumstances. However, I also believe the risk of catching and dying of Covid, albeit low, is greater than the vaccines. I would far rather that Covid never happened at all, or it never spread around the world, but I might as well wish for the moon on a stick. This is the world we live in now, and this is the choice we have to make between relative risks. I trust the scientists and the doctors when they tell us to have the vaccines, rather than trusting in Facebook, or anecdotal evidence on the Internet, or a friend of a friend, when they tell us to not.
    Great post, good rational thinking and sensible decision making. Wish more people would take this stance, save everyone a load of hassle.

Master
    Not Covid per se but the Moderna booster. Missus and I had ours yesterday, today we both feel like we have been hit by a bus. Aching limbs epic sore arm , headaches and fever. 24 hours later the symptoms are now reducing. This contrasts totally with Astra Zeneca dose 1&2 where just like a flue jab we had zero side effects.

My simple logic says our antibodies are raging against the vaccine, which must be encouraging :)

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    Not Covid per se but the Moderna booster. Missus and I had ours yesterday, today we both feel like we have been hit by a bus. Aching limbs epic sore arm , headaches and fever. 24 hours later the symptoms are now reducing. This contrasts totally with Astra Zeneca dose 1&2 where just like a flue jab we had zero side effects.

My simple logic says our antibodies are raging against the vaccine, which must be encouraging :)

Steve
    Same here Steve - feel much better today after 48 hours.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Not Covid per se but the Moderna booster. Missus and I had ours yesterday, today we both feel like we have been hit by a bus. Aching limbs epic sore arm , headaches and fever.

Steve
    I had the exact same side effects.

I had Moderna for my first two injections, I haven't had the booster. The only other person except OP and yourself who I know had the Moderna was the 20 year old daughter of a family friend and she had the same symptoms and was ill for three days.

The Moderna does have 100 micrograms of mRNA compared with 30 micrograms in the Pfizer vaccine, so I wonder if it gives more pronounced side effects due to the higher dosage?

A recent study of vaccinated US veterans at Harvard medical school did find the Moderna vaccine gave a better immune response than Pfizer.

We had our Moderna boosters this morning. Just a bit tender in the upper arm department so far, will be interesting to see how we feel tomorrow. 16 y.o. daughter had her second Pfizer earlier in the week with no side effects whatsoever, 14 y.o. due hers just after Christmas.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Master
    I had my Moderna Booster a week last Monday, fine on the day, but 24 hours later felt pretty rubbish with headache and fever.

Fine after a comfort meal and half a bottle of red though!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by studly View Post

I had Moderna for my first two injections, I haven't had the booster. The only other person except OP and yourself who I know had the Moderna was the 20 year old daughter of a family friend and she had the same symptoms and was ill for three days.

The Moderna does have 100 micrograms of mRNA compared with 30 micrograms in the Pfizer vaccine, so I wonder if it gives more pronounced side effects due to the higher dosage?

A recent study of vaccinated US veterans at Harvard medical school did find the Moderna vaccine gave a better immune response than Pfizer.
    Both I and my wife began with 2 AZs, with a Moderna booster 2-3 weeks ago. My wife has had no jab side-effects throughout except for a slightly sore arm, while I just felt tired and a bit sweaty from 8-36h after the first AZ.

I thought they were using half doses for Moderna boosters?

BTW the early ‘feeling rough’ responses to the jabs are nothing to do with antibodies. They’re the ‘innate immune system’ kicking right in, which is just a cellular reaction to foreign substances, resulting in a big burst of chemicals called interferons (among others).

Another recent study has shown 2xAZ followed by a Moderna booster gives the best antibody response: I’m sure the few % improvement compared to a Pfizer booster isn’t clinically significant, but maybe it’ll help everyone in getting over the early Moderna reactions 😎

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by drmarkf View Post
    Both I and my wife began with 2 AZs, with a Moderna booster 2-3 weeks ago. My wife has had no jab side-effects throughout except for a slightly sore arm, while I just felt tired and a bit sweaty from 8-36h after the first AZ.

I thought they were using half doses for Moderna boosters?

BTW the early ‘feeling rough’ responses to the jabs are nothing to do with antibodies. They’re the ‘innate immune system’ kicking right in, which is just a cellular reaction to foreign substances, resulting in a big burst of chemicals called interferons (among others).

Another recent study has shown 2xAZ followed by a Moderna booster gives the best antibody response: I’m sure the few % improvement compared to a Pfizer booster isn’t clinically significant, but maybe it’ll help everyone in getting over the early Moderna reactions 
    Not sure about half doses, Im fairly sure we had 0.5cc dose.

Master
    “ Studies have shown that you only need a half dose of Moderna to boost the immune system well. This half dose of Moderna is expected to have low rate of side effects including myocarditis.”

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...er-vaccination

Quote Originally Posted by drmarkf View Post
    What causes myocarditis in some people after the vaccine?

Quote Originally Posted by studly View Post

I have had two Moderna and need to book in and get the booster, the first shot was just an achy arm the second shot a whole different ball game, I felt rough that evening alternating hot/cold, headache etc well into the next day so not looking forward to a 3rd dose.

Better safe than sorry though..

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    I have had two Moderna and need to book in and get the booster, the first shot was just an achy arm the second shot a whole different ball game, I felt rough that evening alternating hot/cold, headache etc well into the next day so not looking forward to a 3rd dose.

Moderna booster update. Now just under 48 hours and all symptoms/ side effects have gone. Bar the slightly tender. Slept really well last night to. So in our case it was the evening of the booster and the following day where we felt rough and lethargic. Just worth bearing in mind If you are working and or have a heavy day following your jab , try to get a Fri or Sat date.

Master

I had precisely the same experience with my first 2 Moderna shots. Felt terrible after the second!

Bring on the booster though… Thank you science

100%

I'll never forget hearing the risks associated with my wife's epidural during the birth of our first child. She's screaming "give me the drugs" and i'm going "jeeesh 1 in 500,000 still means someone is affected" If you or your loved one is the 1 then clearly it's horrific but, from what i have read, having a bad reaction to the vaccine is a red flag to say you'd have a worse reaction to the disease itself. I'll happily be challenged on that but i'm sure there was a great thread on it.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    "Just shows we should all respect both sides of the coin".

Which other side of the coin are you referring to and what did Tatters say that makes you think "respect both sides of the coin" is what he wanted to express?
    I with you Raffe - I don’t have much respect for anti-vaxers. I am not sure about forcing people to have the vaccine, but I am in favour of penalties for those who don’t, e.g., it is a condition of the job for front line medical staff and care home staff. They can still choose not to have it, but at the cost of their job. I also think access to public venues (restaurants, pubs etc) should require proof of vaccination or exemption. If we want to fully participate in society then we need to follow the consensual rules that society imposes.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    We had our Moderna boosters this morning. Just a bit tender in the upper arm department so far, will be interesting to see how we feel tomorrow. 16 y.o. daughter had her second Pfizer earlier in the week with no side effects whatsoever, 14 y.o. due hers just after Christmas.
    I'm at work today, my knees and upper arm ache but otherwise no issues. Colleagues who've had the Moderna booster have had similar fairly minor aftereffects. We've all had a great number of vaccinations due to travel and I wonder whether that plays a part in the level of reaction. The only time I've been really unwell was after typhoid, tetanus and diphtheria in one hit followed by a very ill advised home made cocktail.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

I can add, I had Moderna for my first two as well as the Moderna half dose booster last week. The only side effect was a slightly dead-arm around the jab location.

As per my earlier post, being double jabbed didn’t stop me catching Covid in September this year and I am still suffering Long Covid. I still feel relieved to have been vaccinated as I wonder as to how much worse I could have been if I was not vaccinated.

Get well soon all and condolences to all who have lost friends and loved ones.

Quote Originally Posted by yumma View Post
    I can add, I had Moderna for my first two as well as the Moderna half dose booster last week. The only side effect was a slightly dead-arm around the jab location.

As per my earlier post, being double jabbed didn’t stop me catching Covid in September this year and I am still suffering Long Covid. I still feel relieved to have been vaccinated as I wonder as to how much worse I could have been if I was not vaccinated.

Get well soon all and condolences to all who have lost friends and loved ones.
    Glad your feeling better, the word vaccination does feel a bit exaggerated when I hear stories like yours, surely a vaccination is there to stop any illness and effects of a virus/disease?

Covid jabs are helping no doubt with the death tolls even though there is over 5 million dead, I think many people did believe they were the silver bullet which they are not, as you say you may suffered a lot worse fate had you not had the two Moderna, its certainly a long road yet before we are out of this..

Master
    Glad your feeling better, the word vaccination does feel a bit exaggerated when I hear stories like yours, surely a vaccination is there to stop any illness and effects of a virus/disease?

Covid jabs are helping no doubt with the death tolls even though there is over 5 million dead, I think many people did believe they were the silver bullet which they are not, as you say you may suffered a lot worse fate had you not had the two Moderna, its certainly a long road yet before we are out of this..
    Yes, the current vaccines offer protective immunity (subject to the usual not 100% caveats), and not sterilising immunity.

They still seem to have broken the link between cases and hospitalisation/death for a lot of people though, thank goodness.

Craftsman
    ...surely a vaccination is there to stop any illness and effects of a virus/disease?
    I have no idea how you got that impression. None of the scientists developing the vaccines, or the doctors administering it, or the government advisors, has ever claimed that the Covid vaccines would stop any illness or effects of the disease. Indeed, before the clinical trial results came out, they would have been happy with 60 % efficacy; fortunately for us it turned out to be even higher, at least initially.

Covid jabs are helping no doubt with the death tolls even though there is over 5 million dead, I think many people did believe they were the silver bullet which they are not.
    To be clear, the vast majority of that 5 million dead (globally) were unvaccinated, mainly through unavailability rather than choice.

I have no idea how you got that impression. None of the scientists developing the vaccines, or the doctors administering it, or the government advisors, has ever claimed that the Covid vaccines would stop any illness or effects of the disease. Indeed, before the clinical trial results came out, they would have been happy with 60 % efficacy; fortunately for us it turned out to be even higher, at least initially.

To be clear, the vast majority of that 5 million dead (globally) were unvaccinated, mainly through unavailability rather than choice.
    On your first point, I agree about the information given but the word or should I say definition of the word Vaccine to the layman in the street means a cure to an illness not a help incase you catch it, with most people having Polio, Mumps and other vaccinations as a child its hard wired that the word vaccine is a preventative cure.

And yes I agree on your second point..

A vaccine is not a cure. Never has been. It is a protection against a disease.
    You may have a point that a complete layman might believe that the protection is absolute.

But to give credit to both the scientists (as expected) and officials ( government et al., much less expected) they were very clear about what the vaccine was doing and how it offered protection: it primes your immune system to respond to the virus before it had a chance to do major damage, it doesn’t eliminate all damages, especially if our IS was slow to respond or if a variant partially escaped the vaccine.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    I'm at work today, my knees and upper arm ache but otherwise no issues. Colleagues who've had the Moderna booster have had similar fairly minor aftereffects. We've all had a great number of vaccinations due to travel and I wonder whether that plays a part in the level of reaction. The only time I've been really unwell was after typhoid, tetanus and diphtheria in one hit followed by a very ill advised home made cocktail.
    I am slightly amused how we seem to be jabbed with various mixes of covid vaccinations and how the variances play out as we get jabbed every 4-6 months........

Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    I am slightly amused how we seem to be jabbed with various mixes of covid vaccinations and how the variances play out as we get jabbed every 4-6 months........

Hasn't it always been the way with flu, with a slightly different vaccine used very year?
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    Hasn't it always been the way with flu, with a slightly different vaccine used very year?
    True but I think less people take the flu jab? Was my first time this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    Yes but not every three months and generally only to the old and the vulnerable.

Yes but not every three months and generally only to the old and the vulnerable.
    This actually depends. There have been several instances where 2 different vaccines were required over a winter for flu. This is because there is a bit of guess work involved in identifying the flu variant that will come to Europe.
    In this respect, the main difference is that the Covid vaccine has this far proved to be efficient on all variants, and what is needed is to boost the immunity, not prime the IS with new instructions.
    It helps that flu has been around for a long time, and thus we all have defences against the virus. Not enough to spare us a bout, but for most of us enough to ward off the most serious effects. As such it has not been deemed necessary to vaccinate everyone. Whereas this virus was mostly new to bodies and while most of us have the capacity to feed it off, the many who don't suffer to such an extent that vaccinating everyone is the best way to reduce mortality and possibly to hamper its spread.
    It is also possible that Omicron proves less toxic because of similarities with some cold viruses to which our bodies have mostly been to exposed already (unless this has already been dismissed).

Steve

I also had AZ for the first two, and then the Moderna booster last week. No side effects at all from the AZ's, but did feel heavy-limbed and very tired for 24hours following the booster.
    So clever my foot fell off.

Every three months? What?

Nonsense.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Nonsense.
    Maybe not every three months then but, they are currently giving people a booster three months after the second dose and have ordered enough for two more boosters for each adult. Have they said that no further boosters will be required?

Maybe not every three months then but, they are currently giving people a booster three months after the second dose and have ordered enough for two more boosters for each adult. Have they said that no further boosters will be required?
    Does it matter?
    Cheers..
    Jase

Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    Does it matter?
    Depends if you're a tax payer or not? The cost has to come from somewhere and it won't be the global giants, will it?

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    Does it matter?
    Not sure but I was just saying the current situation can’t be compared to the flu vaccine, where generally it is only given once per annum and the only to the old and vulnerable. As noted above the cost matters too although I accept it MAY be cost effective if it helps more people to be treated for other non Covid illnesses.

Not sure but I was just saying the current situation can’t be compared to the flu vaccine, where generally it is only given once per annum and the only to the old and vulnerable. As noted above the cost matters too although I accept it MAY be cost effective if it helps more people to be treated for other non Covid illnesses.
    It's not exclusive to the old & vulnerable. Where I live, anybody 55 and over is offered a flu vaccine every year regardless.
    Last edited by Chris_in_the_UK; 7th December 2021 at 17:57.

It's not exclusive to the old & vulnerable. Where I live, anybody 55 and over is offered a flue vaccine every year regardless.
    They must be fuming...

Sorry

Quote Originally Posted by Lazydonkey View Post
    100%

I'll never forget hearing the risks associated with my wife's epidural during the birth of our first child. She's screaming "give me the drugs" and i'm going "jeeesh 1 in 500,000 still means someone is affected"
    That works both ways, though, surely?

The chances of being seriously ill or dying from COVID, while greater than being affected by a vaccine (as far as we know at the moment), is still pretty low for most people.

Obviously, there's the issue of whether it's public-spirited to refuse a vaccine, but NOT having it isn't (on a personal level) likely to lead to serious issues for the vast majority of people, if you're listing statistics, some will think the stats for NOT having it are good enough to avoid a risk of having it. Not BETTER, but good enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazydonkey View Post
    If you or your loved one is the 1 then clearly it's horrific but, from what i have read, having a bad reaction to the vaccine is a red flag to say you'd have a worse reaction to the disease itself.
    Some people will consider the risk of having a bad reaction to the vaccine is not one they want to take. If you happen to be the one in whatever dies from a blood clot, will it be a consolation that you didn't get COVID?

I'm not against vaccines, I've had loads, but I don't believe that everyone who refuses the COVID vaccine is a selfish idiot as, certainly, some here do.

On another note (and not aimed at you, LazyD), I love how someone can spout pro-Brexit rhetoric, but anyone who challenges it is pounced on by the Forum police - If we're keeping politics out of the G&D it should be ALL politics. It can't JUST be the politics YOU don't agree with, can it?

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    They must be fuming...

Sorry
    Spellcheck! Ha!

Master
    It's not exclusive to the old & vulnerable. Where I live, anybody 55 and over is offered a flu vaccine every year regardless.
    It is here this year too, as they are doing as much as possible to ease pressure on NHS but, last year it was either over 60’s or over 65’s.

Master
    Blog Entries
    My turn now, me and the wife both have it. Went to a wedding at the weekend …

Master
    Does anyone have the UK numbers for vaxxed versus unvaxxed numbers for hospital admissions and deaths? Wondered if it had changed significantly.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 33JS View Post
    Does anyone have the UK numbers for vaxxed versus unvaxxed numbers for hospital admissions and deaths? Wondered if it had changed significantly.
    Most people (around 75%)admitted have been vaccinated, as you would expect given the vaccination status of most older people. About three to four times as many deaths are vaccinated people.