closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 14 of 32 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: Got COVID!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by johnbaz View Post
    Hi all

I got covid in january last year when I didn't even know what it was!, I've worked in a foundry for 42 years and already have asthma and copd, I really thought I was going to die, I coughed every few seconds for two solid weeks day and night, Ending up my chest would hardly move to breathe, It kind of siezed up but then the dozens of steroids and two courses of penicillin did their stuff and I got over it!, It left it's mark though as I couldn't climb the stairs and get to the top in one go after!

My breathing became so bad that I talked to the wife about packing in work as I was really struggling to walk the 200-300 hundred yards from the car park to the changing rooms then the same again to get to my job, As we talked about it redundancies due to covid were announced at work, I jumped in feet first and packed in late last year with a little bit of money!!

Fast forwards to about two months ago and I started feeling rough again, Was ambulanced to the hospital, The covid test came back positive but I wasn't as bad as last year, Coughing every few minutes instead of seconds, I got over it but passed it on to the wife, We've both had both jabs but not a booster, I was messaged to make an appointment for the booster but then couldn't have it until a month has passed, I'm going for it on wednesday!

It didn't affect the wife anywhere near as bad as me and although it wasn't as bad this time, The after effects have been even worse than the first time, I'm almost passing out occasionally if I exert myself and still have no taste or sense of smell!

I lost an aunt and an old friend to this awful bug and yet there's still sh1tloads of people that say it's a conspiracy and doesn't exist!

John..
    I’ve heard of others who have had similar experiences and can’t believe how many people still dismiss covid as not serious. I have similar health problems to you and dread getting it, although we are being very careful to minimise the chance of doing so.

I also find it amusing how many of the anti-vax crowd grew up not having to worry about polio, diphtheria, mumps, rubella etc because of…..vaccines.
    (cue ‘it’s not a vaccine it’s experimental technology’ ‘yes but they were tested properly first’ etc etc)
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    An interesting point raised in the other thread: The booster doesn't 'act' immediately - are people being vaccinated now, for Christmas going to have a false sense of security and throw caution to the wind??
    That's true, although according to one of the many experts 5 Live has rolled out over the last few weeks, a booster on top of two doses doesn't take as long to kick in as a first or second dose and you should have a decent level of added immunity after about a week.

Sorry to read your post John. Make my post sound like a moan by comparison.

I wish you and your family well.

What a mess this last couple of years has been.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by notenoughwrists View Post
    Accurate detailed government data is currently available up to end of Sept.
    Plus a simple graphic from another site but taken from ONS statistics.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulat...nstatusengland

Once the official sources catch up, I will update you bud…

Also see later post from drmarkf with a link to the bbc data.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    That is the death rate comparison between vaccinated and unvaccinated which shows you are more likely to die if unvaccinated which, we all know.

Do we?
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    Do we?
    Well that is what that graph is showing??? Death rate per100000 people split by vaccination status, which unless I’m missing something shows you are nearly five times more likely to die from cv19 if you are unvaccinated.

Master
    Had my booster yesterday arm aches a lot this morning and I feel very lethargic wouldn't want to be going to work today

Quote Originally Posted by craig1912 View Post
    Well that is what that graph is showing??? Death rate per100000 people split by vaccination status, which unless I’m missing something shows you are nearly five times more likely to die from cv19 if you are unvaccinated.
    I think Ralf's question is a sarcastic reflection of some of the views on this thread. He has been arguing all along that vaccinated is safer than unvaccinated but some still won't see it.
    Last edited by Ruggertech; 18th December 2021 at 12:41.

Hi all

I got covid in january last year when I didn't even know what it was!, I've worked in a foundry for 42 years and already have asthma and copd, I really thought I was going to die, I coughed every few seconds for two solid weeks day and night, Ending up my chest would hardly move to breathe, It kind of siezed up but then the dozens of steroids and two courses of penicillin did their stuff and I got over it!, It left it's mark though as I couldn't climb the stairs and get to the top in one go after!

My breathing became so bad that I talked to the wife about packing in work as I was really struggling to walk the 200-300 hundred yards from the car park to the changing rooms then the same again to get to my job, As we talked about it redundancies due to covid were announced at work, I jumped in feet first and packed in late last year with a little bit of money!!

Fast forwards to about two months ago and I started feeling rough again, Was ambulanced to the hospital, The covid test came back positive but I wasn't as bad as last year, Coughing every few minutes instead of seconds, I got over it but passed it on to the wife, We've both had both jabs but not a booster, I was messaged to make an appointment for the booster but then couldn't have it until a month has passed, I'm going for it on wednesday!

It didn't affect the wife anywhere near as bad as me and although it wasn't as bad this time, The after effects have been even worse than the first time, I'm almost passing out occasionally if I exert myself and still have no taste or sense of smell!

I lost an aunt and an old friend to this awful bug and yet there's still sh1tloads of people that say it's a conspiracy and doesn't exist!

John..
    That's truly frightening, hope you make a full recovery.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruggertech View Post
    I think Ralf's question is a sarcastic reflection of some of the views on this thread. He has been arguing all along that vaccinated is safer than unvaccinated but some still won't see it.
    Thanks

Master
    No plans made so no plans to cancel except one if we test positive before a visit. Such sad stories on here where one just can’t tell in advance what effects this sodding virus will have on any individual. This virus is too clever by half. Bet it escaped from a Chinese lab.

Quote Originally Posted by Slamdoor View Post
    Bet it escaped from a Chinese lab.
    I am hearing it's coming from Huawei's 5G lab. They have been sponsored by the Gates Foundation and George Soros.

No plans made so no plans to cancel except one if we test positive before a visit. Such sad stories on here where one just can’t tell in advance what effects this sodding virus will have on any individual. This virus is too clever by half. Bet it escaped from a Chinese lab.
    Is your name based on what people typically do after you leave?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Is your name based on what people typically do after you leave?
    Spot on.

Master
    Johnbaz, hope things turn well for you as that is awful.

Spoke on the phone to my brother this morning and heard that he and his wife had covid very recently. 10 days isolation ended 2 days ago. They had in his words 'A bad cold with loss of taste'. My brother didn't go for a test but his wife did and was positive so he assumed the same.
    For some people it may well be a bad cold, but for some they will be much less 'fortunate'

Hi all

John..
    That sounds awful John.

Hope you are on the road to recovery now my old mate.

All the best.

Neil.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Spot on.
    My twin! My wife only takes me anywhere twice, second time to apologise.

My daughter has now got it (does not live with us). Did an LFT test (negative) Thursday afternoon before going out on the town in London with her mates. Felt a bit rough on Friday - tested positive on an LFT - checked by doing a second one, both positive.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    My daughter has now got it (does not live with us). Did an LFT test (negative) Thursday afternoon before going out on the town in London with her mates. Felt a bit rough on Friday - tested positive on an LFT - checked by doing a second one, both positive.
    Hardly surprising it's spreading so fast really, with people still going out in large groups.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Hardly surprising it's spreading so fast really, with people still going out in large groups.
    Until the advice changes, people will still (Sensibly in this scenario) go about their business.

Quote Originally Posted by Crammage View Post
    Until the advice changes, people will still (Sensibly in this scenario) go about their business.
    What scenario? Many people are far from sensible.

Quote Originally Posted by mr noble View Post
    PCR test results are in.....

Wife, daughter and myself are all positive. We didn't get our 8 month old lad tested, but he has been the worst for being poorly today and yesterday, he's really really sick.

Thanks to our daughter's playgroup up the road where the 1st case appeared, they now are closed, with 5 staff and 7 kids so far tested positive.

That's our Christmas ruined. Family visits cancelled. Works drinks/dinner cancelled. Meal out with the boys cancelled. Trip for our 3 year old to meet Santa tomorrow is cancelled. Wimpole Hall Winter lights, cancelled. Christmas shopping, cancelled. Wife and my annual trip to the Eagle pub in Cambridge for mulled wine.....cancelled.

We're not even allowed out for a walk or to take kids to the park. Today was a bloody nightmare with all 4 of us feeling sick and stuck indoors. Only 9 more days to go.

Effing covid.
    Ahh, the Eagle! Great pub. One of my favourites. I miss Cambridge!

Sorry to hear about the Covid result! Hopefully something can be salvaged for you and you family at home at least…nice lunch and some Christmas movies! Hope you’re all not feeling too bad with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Got on the DLR a few days ago - unstaffed train. There were approx 12 people in my carriage - I was the only person wearing a mask.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Got on the DLR a few days ago - unstaffed train. There were approx 12 people in my carriage - I was the only person wearing a mask.
    “People can be trusted……………..”

NO - people are twats…………..

Quote Originally Posted by mr noble View Post
    PCR test results are in.....
    Also sorry to hear the bad news and sincerely hoping you - along with all the others in the thread who are similarly affected - are weathering it as successfully as is possible in the prevailing circumstances.

…nice lunch and some Christmas movies!
    Alternatively you could invest any free time in extending your crypto knowledge and keeping your day trading skillz current.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Many people also want to get on with their life and stop living in the media fear mongering.

Quote Originally Posted by Neal666 View Post
    Many people also want to get on with their life and stop living in the media fear mongering.
    Crack on.

If you are lucky - you might avoid funeral attendance restrictions…………..

Master
    Sympathy to you John for your situation and hopefully all will be well soon.
    My brother and his wife have just had covid, they report 'like a bad cold with loss of taste'. Both are now well thankfully. You never know how it will go but not everyone has a dreadful outcome.

That'll work just fine for you.

Master
    Agree

Grand Master
    Everyone wants to get on with their life, but we can’t bury our heads in the sand and pretend all is well, that’s a childish attitude.

Trying to deny the gravity of the situation is naive to say the least, media reporting is typically sensational but that doesn’t alter the fact that the situation is serious.

Let's all take a minute to reflect on the overflowing hospitals in South Africa right now, running out of oxygen, deaths on the streets etc…oh wait.

As an FYI South Africa is a month into their Omicron outbreak now and 7 day average for deaths in South Africa has gone from 34 at the end of November to 31 yesterday.....

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Let's all take a minute to reflect on the overflowing hospitals in South Africa right now, running out of oxygen, deaths on the streets etc…oh wait.

As an FYI South Africa is a month into their Omicron outbreak now and 7 day average for deaths in South Africa has gone from 34 at the end of November to 31 yesterday.....
    Look at Denmark. There is your relevant comparison.

Blog Entries
    Sensibly how?
    Testing to see you’re negative before ‘going out on the town’ with your mates? And catching covid. Ok.

Look at Denmark. There is your relevant comparison.
    Not enough data. Cases shot up from Nov mostly fuelled initially by Delta and they expect Omicron to become dominant this week. So we can see increased deaths (albeit with a lowering 7 day average) but these will be attributable to Delta. So whilst the big spike in cases will be partly attributable to Omicron (and the last few days probably 50% Omicron) that won't be in the death stats yet whereas South Africa has had a month of Omicron so we can see what deaths have been occurring.

Yes S.A. is a different demographic but also they aren't 50% triple vaxxed, 78% double vaxxed with a world class health infrastructure like the UK has (and I suspect Denmark also). DK hospitalisation data will be telling - searching for it now.

Denmark infections and death data below, source here https://www.worldometers.info/corona...untry/denmark/
    Last edited by ryanb741; 18th December 2021 at 23:09.

Your Reddit crew is behind.

https://archive.ph/LO5il

This geezer knows his stuff, breaks it down into layman terms.

https://youtu.be/_T6C-2FNy8I

Your Reddit crew is behind.

https://archive.ph/LO5il
    Found the hospitalisation data. We can see a big spike since 1st Nov largely driven by Delta. Last month it starts to have a lower gradient and in particular this is the case over the past 2 weeks where the rate of increase in hospitalisations is much lower (and where more of the cases are Omicron). Probably still too soon to infer much given 10-14 day infection to hospitalisation delay but it is at least encouraging that as yet there hasn't been a huge spike in hospitalisations correlating with Omicron prevalence. Source www.ourworldindata.org
    Last edited by ryanb741; 18th December 2021 at 23:24.

Covid: London 'major incident' declared due to Omicron rise
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-59710649

Quote Originally Posted by dougair View Post
    Covid: London 'major incident' declared due to Omicron rise
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-59710649
    Yes I saw that. It relates to cases. And cases lead to absences which are particularly acutely felt in key services such as health workers. I am quite sure we also have a logistics issue imminent with food and fuel shortages due to isolating delivery personnel.

But that's different to hospitalisations and deaths. We didn't see that in South Africa. I hope we don't see that here either. I feel we won't given what we know about this variant infecting bronchi rather than the lungs. But every chance I'm wrong. I'm certainly not qualified in this field, just have a knack for Google-Fu :)
    Last edited by ryanb741; 18th December 2021 at 23:59.

Yes I saw that. It relates to cases. And cases lead to absences which are particularly acutely felt in key services such as health workers. I am quite sure we also have a logistics issue imminent with food and fuel shortages due to isolating delivery personnel.

But that's different to hospitalisations and deaths. We didn't see that in South Africa. I hope we don't see that here either. I feel we won't given what we know about this variant infecting bronchi rather than the lungs. But every chance I'm wrong. I hope I'm not :)
    It doesn’t really matter if there’s 1000 in hospital or 1 if everything else is collapsing around you. The absences of fire fighters and others in London are already worrying.

Quote Originally Posted by alexaff View Post
    This geezer knows his stuff, breaks it down into layman terms.

https://youtu.be/_T6C-2FNy8I
    Thanks, very interesting and he warns about the same stuff as I am.

Quote Originally Posted by dougair View Post
    It doesn’t really matter if there’s 1000 in hospital or 1 if everything else is collapsing around you. The absences of fire fighters and others in London are already worrying.
    Everybody except Ryan should have understood that by now.

Thanks, very interesting and he warns about the same stuff as I am.

Everybody except Ryan should have understood that by now.
    Luckily that's why I posted this in my last reply;

And cases lead to absences which are particularly acutely felt in key services such as health workers. I am quite sure we also have a logistics issue imminent with food and fuel shortages due to isolating delivery personnel.

Anyway we know this isn't a trivial illness. 8 people in the UK have already died from Omicron (as of yesterday) and those will have been from infections a couple of weeks ago when prevalence was lower. As yet we don't know the risk profile, vaccination status etc of those folks. All I was saying was that data from South Africa, plus in vitro study of the variant indicated a milder disease. But for sure it isn't the 'Omni-cold' either.
    Last edited by ryanb741; 19th December 2021 at 08:18.

A nice article on Omicron that avoids media clickbait headlines

https://www.science.org/content/blog...omicron-update

Got COVID!

We were in Blackpool last night to see our son performing in the Hairspray musical. Given the scenes in clubs and pubs, you would have thought that no one had ever heard of Covid. We estimated that only around 25% of people wore masks in the theatre despite a direct instruction to do so (no reinforcement either).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Sensibly how?
    Testing to see you’re negative before ‘going out on the town’ with your mates? And catching covid. Ok.
    Well yes, by testing regularly. Not testing is irresponsible.

Well yes, by testing regularly. Not testing is irresponsible.
    Won't stop you getting COVID ... going out to a pub with mates is asking for issues at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    Won't stop you getting COVID ... going out to a pub with mates is asking for issues at the moment.
    Like wearing a mask, will help prevent you passing it on.