timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 32 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Got COVID!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    That's appalling.
    Seems improbable to me.

Not improbable, total nonsense

There’s a Lot of sanctimonious folk on this thread.
    Take your vitriol to the bear pit and leave out name calling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Yorkshiremadmick View Post
    Two nurses & a sister were all in tears, talking to me at separate times. Sister told me well done for not having it. All three of them FORCED against their wishes to be jabbed or lose their jobs.
    That’s not right, surely.

Clearly another symptom of Covid is having nonsensical dreams.

Foggy

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy View Post
    Clearly another symptom of Covid is having nonsensical dreams.

Foggy
    Well I hope you wake up soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk280 View Post
    I’d be very happy to explain the science behind the vaccines to you mate, if you want me to?
    I was serious here btw, not taking the mick! Drop me a PM if you’d like to chat at some point.

Grand Master
    I too find it incredible that people believe that not having the vaccine is a sensible decision, it beggars belief.

That’s enough for me.
    Take the piss as much as you want
    I’m deleting TZ
    Chow

I’m always trying to convince my Mum who has early stage dementia that the next door neighbour is not trying to poison her.

Forget Covid jabs: not being vaccinated against Tetanus is a very strange *life* choice.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    My neighbour is a nurse. Or she was until she lost her job for flatly refusing the vaccine.

When she told me I just shrugged. Her choice, her decision, her loss. Of course the reasons for her not wanting to get a vaccine were the standard fare of “oh a friend of a friend had a terrible reaction and ended up in hospital” and “I saw on Facebook my nieces boyfriends sister got a clot…”. And of course the all time classic “I never get ill blah blah blah”

Mercifully her and old Mad Mick are in the minority. Thank God.

I just don’t get it, is it a case of trying to feel ‘special’ that you think you know something or have a different point of view that the majority don’t? It’s a incredibly selfish and dangerous stand to take. And then to get hospitalised and still be a anti vax advocate just doesn’t make any sense.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    I just don’t get it, is it a case of trying to feel ‘special’ that you think you know something or have a different point of view that the majority don’t? It’s a incredibly selfish and dangerous stand to take. And then to get hospitalised and still be a anti vax advocate just doesn’t make any sense.
    I think you may be right, some folks revel in taking a contrarian stance, others just rebel against being coerced into doing anything even if they agree with the logic.

In an ideal world Covid wouldn’t exist and the risk from Covid would be zero, but that’s not the case. Faced with a miniscule risk of side effects from a vaccine, or a very real risk if serious illness or death from Covid, the decision is a no- brainer. However, I had to take strong medicines with potentially serious side- effects to stay alive in 2014 so maybe I see things differently. Having had a science- based career I will always follow the science and disregard the anecdotal crap, it’s the way my brain is wired and I tend to assume others will think as clearly.

I’m glad Mick has survived the ordeal, I wish no ill on anyone who made what I consider to be a flawed decision to decline vaccines, but I do not respect their stance, I never will.

The Darwin Awards are a tongue-in-cheek honor originating in Usenet newsgroup discussions around 1985. They recognize individuals who have supposedly contributed to human evolution by selecting themselves out of the gene pool by dying or becoming sterilized via their own actions.

Master

Got COVID!

That’s enough for me.
    I’m deleting TZ
    Chow

The behaviour towards you is very sad, but remember, it was only a few.

I have had three doses of vaccine so am clearly for it. However, I completely respect your choice. Ultimately there isn’t enough long term data on MRNA vaccines to understand the long term effects.

Just because someone is risk adverse it doesn’t give them a right to force people into having a medical treatment.
    Last edited by Rodder; 28th November 2021 at 21:44.

Mick may decide to throw his toys out and delete TZ. It’s as much his choice as was not having the vaccine, but at least the consequences will be significantly less serious.
    But from what he said about how he was affected I would not say he is out of the woods yet.

That’s enough for me.
    I’m deleting TZ
    Chow

OK bye, but my genuine offer still stands.

Science is too important to take the p***

That’s enough for me.
    I’m deleting TZ
    Chow

It's spelled 'ciao'.

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    My neighbour is a nurse. Or she was until she lost her job for flatly refusing the vaccine.

When she told me I just shrugged. Her choice, her decision, her loss. Of course the reasons for her not wanting to get a vaccine were the standard fare of “oh a friend of a friend had a terrible reaction and ended up in hospital” and “I saw on Facebook my nieces boyfriends sister got a clot…”. And of course the all time classic “I never get ill blah blah blah”

Mercifully her and old Mad Mick are in the minority. Thank God.
    +1.

Life is full of choices. Some of them are just bad.
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

I think people need to be a bit more tolerant here.

Before I start, I'm fully vaxxed, I believe CV19 is a significant health risk, I believe Covid has permanently changed how we live and this change is here to stay for many many years and we will see many more vaccinations and many more variants, I'm resigned to this. I would like to see everyone vaccinated but I recently had an encounter that's worth recanting here.

I was completely intolerant of people who chose not to vaccinate up until last week. I work for a large USA multinational company (some members on here know me and know the company) and the company is now forcing people who will not vaccinate to leave via an exit program. A sort of global redundancy.

A close colleague of mine in the USA who I've worked with for over 16years does not want to vaccinate and is being dismissed from the company after 30years service. The man is a professional engineer, highly qualified and very intelligent, also a good guy and a friend of mine. We met via a Teams/Zoom call to discuss this last week and he feels uncomfortable about the vaccination program and he stated he has avoided medicine his whole life and is in good shape. He acknowledges that he is putting himself at risk and he seems comfortable to live with the risk.

I sat down and mulled over his position. I came to the conclusion that I'm happy for people to make their own choices as long as they weigh up their own risks.

I'll be first in the queue for the vaccinations but if some punter tells me he doesn't want to vaccinate I'm happy enough as long as he's made his own decision and understands the risk.

How difficult is it to understand that his decision is affecting others as much as himself?

Zero sympathies with anyone who is refusing to contribute to the fight against the virus.

Grand Master
    My view is that those who decline the vaccine, claiming they’re OK with the risk, have made a bad job of the risk assessment. I understand that some folks don’t like taking medication, maybe they’ve been fortunate with their health and haven’t had the need to take drugs and medicines, but that in itself isn’t a rational justification to decline vaccination.

If everyone had declined the vaccines we would still be in lockdown, the vaccine refuseniks are enjoying the benefits of society being able to broadly return to normal functioning without having done their bit to contribute, their choice and position on this issue does not earn my respect. That may seem harsh but that’s how I see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    How difficult is it to understand that his decision is affecting others as much as himself?

Zero sympathies with anyone who is refusing to contribute to the fight against the virus.
    This ^^^^ if not getting vaccinated only put the unvaccinated at risk I'd happily say "goodnight and may your god go with you" but every layer of protection saves other lives, just like masks and hand sanitation.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Well said.

I don't know lads. It's all black and white to some of the members on here; if you don't vaccinate your pathetic, if you do vaccinate your OK. It's a very black and white approach and it's likely to polarise people. Again, I speak as a fully vaccinated individual who wants everyone to join in.

I'd say relax on the hardline and let's hope the data and time bring people on board.

Silk glove beats the iron fist. Way too much of the dialog in the post above is iron fist.

Quote Originally Posted by TimeThoughts View Post
    I don't know lads. It's all black and white to some of the members on here; if you don't vaccinate your pathetic, if you do vaccinate your OK. It's a very black and white approach and it's likely to polarise people. Again, I speak as a fully vaccinated individual who wants everyone to join in.

I'd say relax on the hardline and let's hope the data and time bring people on board.

Silk glove beats the iron fist. Way too much of the dialog in the post above is iron fist.
    I am sick and tired of having to live with the virus just because some people are not supporting the team effort.

I am for a regime where you basically cannot leave the house unless you are vaccinated. In Germany you are not entering public transport anymore without proof of vaccination or a PCR test. We need the same for supermarkets.

I think people need to be a bit more tolerant here.

. . . / . . .

He acknowledges that he is putting himself at risk and he seems comfortable to live with the risk.

I sat down and mulled over his position. I came to the conclusion that I'm happy for people to make their own choices as long as they weigh up their own risks.
    As said above the problem is not the risk those people take, but the risk they are to other people.

It reminds me of something when I was much younger, a heated debate between the local GP and a Jehovah’s Witnesses couple whose newborn child needed a transfusion to survive, to which they were opposed. Fortunately the courts ordered the transfusion in time, but it’s the same issue of someone ‘s choice affecting somebody else ‘s life.

I would also be comfortable for people to be unvaccinated if they were the only ones at risk: their choice. But not if it can affect others.

Master
    Individuals make decisions that affect society everyday; to stay healthy, raise their children, partake in dangerous sport, to be polite and tolerant, play loud music etc. Some affect society negatively but as long as it’s legal it’s their choice. At which point do individuals start to have decisions made for them so to benefit others.

Also, it’s one thing, being told not to do something that affects others(eg speeding) but to be forced to do something against an individuals will, in this case a medical procedure is quite unheard of. Its really quite authoritarian and goes against almost all western values and sets an extremely dangerous precedent.

Couldn’t agree more. To some, the vaccine is the saviour of civilisation as we know it. I can’t quite see it but beating people up for having an alternative view will never work.

Even in countries with 70%+ vaccination rates, infections are through the roof so how is that the fault of the unvaccinated? Government reaction, messaging and policy, or lack of, might have something to do with it?

Covid is shite and has hit everyone one way or another. We can only learn to live with it.

And for full disclosure, I’m vaccinated.

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    The Darwin Awards are a tongue-in-cheek honor originating in Usenet newsgroup discussions around 1985. They recognize individuals who have supposedly contributed to human evolution by selecting themselves out of the gene pool by dying or becoming sterilized via their own actions.
    Doubt YMM is still breeding.

I don't understand what makes it so difficult to comprehend that vaccines are the only way out of this mess.

I am sick and tired of having to live with the virus just because some people are not supporting the team effort.

I am for a regime where you basically cannot leave the house unless you are vaccinated. In Germany you are not entering public transport anymore without proof of vaccination or a PCR test. We need the same for supermarkets.
    I reckon this place we are in today is a 10 to 20 year thing, if you want to lock people down for their vaccination status fair enough but if people think vaccination / masks / distance will fix things they are naive. We are two years into this now and this is the new norm.

In the thread above people are laying the law down on vaccination and they still think if people simply toe the line this covid nuisance will all get squared away. That's a comedy.

I can see the hardline approach pushing people into entrenched positions. So I've parked up my hardline approach and opinions.

Master
    I don't understand what makes it so difficult to comprehend that vaccines are the only way out of this mess.

I agree, I think they are.

But I also wouldn’t want anyone to be forced to something against their will based on my beliefs

Master

Got COVID!

Also, as an aside, it doesn’t look like theres much benefit if more than 76% of the population are vaccinated anyway

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Even in countries with 70%+ vaccination rates, infections are through the roof so how is that the fault of the unvaccinated? Government reaction, messaging and policy, or lack of, might have something to do with it?
    1) No one here -to my knowledge- has even hinted at the possibility that the vaccine was the miracle solution that would rid us of this troublesome virus. So the first part of your statement needs substantiating.

2) but I quoted specifically the second part because it is the sort of incomplete and misleading statement that antivaxxers use to justify their stance.
    Infections may be high but people in hospitals and even more so in ICU are, in their overwhelming majority, unvaccinated.
    30% of a country’s population is a very large amount of people, and even if the vaccine offered 100% protection against catching the virus you would still be justified in saying that infection rates go through the roof.

But the really important data is the difference being vaccinated makes to the prognosis. And it’s totally unambiguous.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodder View Post
    I agree, I think they are.

But I also wouldn’t want anyone to be forced to something against their will based on my beliefs
    It's not based on your or my beliefs. It#s based on a broad scientific consensus.

Again, I don't understand why that is difficult to comprehend. It's what society needs from you, just like it's not legal to drive a car when intoxicated or when drafted into the armed forces.

Master
    It's not based on your or my beliefs. It#s based on a broad scientific consensus.

Again, I don't understand why that is difficult to comprehend. It's what society needs from you, just like it's not legal to drive a car when intoxicated or when drafted into the armed forces.
    I suppose the distinction is you believe it’s safe they don’t. Right or wrong they’re entitled to that belief and forcing them into a medical procedure based on yours sets a dangerous precedent.

Got COVID!

No. Safe is not a belief. It’s factual. So much so that while initially antivaxxers mentioned adverse effects every other sentence to justify their position they have stopped doing it now because it is debunked.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    No. Safe is not a belief. It’s factual. So much so that while initially antivaxxers mentioned adverse effects every other sentence to justify their position they have stopped doing it now because it is debunked.
    I’m fine with it but there is no long term data for mRNA vaccines,m. To me there’s risk but it’s minimal. To others there’s risk but it’s major.

I have less sympathy for them if they catch it but respect their choice. I also have less sympathy for the morbidly obese but I wouldn’t want to force feed them broccoli.

Got COVID!

The vaccine disappears from your body after a few days/weeks. So mRNA or not it’s not scientifically sound to speak about its long term effects.

And the morbidly obese are not contagious. Their alleged life choice (it is rarely one, as it’s usually either genetic or linked to mental health issues) only affects them.
    Last edited by Saint-Just; 29th November 2021 at 00:39.

In the thread above people are laying the law down on vaccination and they still think if people simply toe the line this covid nuisance will all get squared away. That's a comedy.

I don’t believe that people on here seriously think that, I know I certainly don’t. I believe that everyone should do the right thing for everyone else and do their level best to protect each other. If that means being vaccinated wearing masks and social distancing then so be it, we might even save the odd life along the way...who’d have thought it?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Food suppliers are sometimes forced to close and cease trading until they improve their food hygiene standards - maybe they could argue against suffering a substantial financial loss because you can't remember anyone dying from food poisoning?
    I do hope people who are anti Covid vax ensure their children receive the MMR vaccines.
    Last edited by Suds; 29th November 2021 at 00:45.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    1) No one here -to my knowledge- has even hinted at the possibility that the vaccine was the miracle solution that would rid us of this troublesome virus. So the first part of your statement needs substantiating.

2) but I quoted specifically the second part because it is the sort of incomplete and misleading statement that antivaxxers use to justify their stance.
    Infections may be high but people in hospitals and even more so in ICU are, in their overwhelming majority, unvaccinated.
    30% of a country’s population is a very large amount of people, and even if the vaccine offered 100% protection against catching the virus you would still be justified in saying that infection rates go through the roof.

But the really important data is the difference being vaccinated makes to the prognosis. And it’s totally unambiguous.
    Point 1: it’s a general theme, while not explicitly stated, is always implied.

Point 2: do you have a link to the icu stats? I was led to believe that the majority of people in hospital with Covid were vaccinated. As you pointed out in another thread, it makes sense as more people are vaccinated. So which is it?

We know that the vaccinated are just as likely as the unvaccinated to transmit the virus after 3 months of being vaccinated, and we know that the vaccinated can become very ill. These are facts, not conspiracy, so without any other preventative policies in place, being vaccinated won’t make that much difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Doubt YMM is still breeding.
    YMMV

Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post

I don’t believe that people on here seriously think that, I know I certainly don’t. I believe that everyone should do the right thing for everyone else and do their level best to protect each other. If that means being vaccinated wearing masks and social distancing then so be it, we might even save the odd life along the way...who’d have thought it?
    You pulled a specific piece of my post there I was responding to Raffe on. What I mean in that section is; people think a very hard short term approach will 'fix' Covid. Where I think that will do.more harm than good.

What I'm trying to say here, is that the hardline approach is going to entrench people who are nervous of the vaccine. I don't even like the term "anti vax" as it implies the people who haven't vaccinated are encouraging others not to vaccinate.

Like I say, I was full of vim and vigor on this aswell untill I spoke to my colleague.

If a person, for whatever reason, doesn't take the vaccination. People criticising them or blaming them is not going to help.

Best hope here is people see sense in time.

Last edited by studly; 29th November 2021 at 00:59.

Point 1: it’s a general theme, while not explicitly stated, is always implied.
    I believe you are wrong.

Point 2: do you have a link to the icu stats? I was led to believe that the majority of people in hospital with Covid were vaccinated. As you pointed out in another thread, it makes sense as more people are vaccinated. So which is it?
    Link for UK: https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ford-scientist

The equivalent also exists in several EU countries.

Regarding the vaccinated vs non vaccinated ratio in hospital it is a mathematical evidence that has nothing to do with the efficacy of the vaccine: if you painted a red dot on more and more people’s forehead, you would see the percentage of dotted people in hospital would increase and become a majority, without creating a causative link between their hospitalisation and the dot.

We know that the vaccinated are just as likely as the unvaccinated to transmit the virus after 3 months of being vaccinated, and we know that the vaccinated can become very ill. These are facts, not conspiracy, so without any other preventative policies in place, being vaccinated won’t make that much difference.
    Again that is entirely misleading. While the chances for an infected vaccinated person of transmitting the virus are broadly similar to those of an unvaccinated, the chances of the vaccinated person to be infected in the first place are much lower than an unvaccinated one, and if in turn he is surrounded by vaccinated people he less likely to infect them.

Freedom!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    My view is that those who decline the vaccine, claiming they’re OK with the risk, have made a bad job of the risk assessment.
    I also wonder whether they have any idea of how truly horrific this disease can be. The accounts by doctors and nurses of the suffering patients go through in ICU are harrowing. Medicine is so sanitised from the outside, but on the inside it is a hellish nightmare that is happening every day to many people. Why would you willingly increase the risk of putting yourself and your family through that?

And if you manage to survive, you can be left seriously damaged, on strong medication for the rest of your disabled and curtailed life.

I suspect the unvaccinated colleague, who has avoided medicine most of their life, has also avoided the brutality of what the disease can do - maybe they are squeamish and don’t like to think about their own mortality, and don’t really believe it could happen to them, with all its horrific consequences.

Quote Originally Posted by Tatters View Post
    I also wonder whether they have any idea of how truly horrific this disease can be. The accounts by doctors and nurses of the suffering patients go through in ICU are harrowing. Medicine is so sanitised from the outside, but on the inside it is a hellish nightmare that is happening every day to many people. Why would you willingly increase the risk of putting yourself and your family through that?

And if you manage to survive, you can be left seriously damaged, on strong medication for the rest of your disabled and curtailed life.

I suspect the unvaccinated colleague, who has avoided medicine most of their life, has also avoided the brutality of what the disease can do - maybe they are squeamish and don’t like to think about their own mortality, and don’t really believe it could happen to them, with all its horrific consequences.
    This, and it's not only exposing yourself and your family, but also anyone else who is unlucky enough to cross your path or the paths of those that you have infected. This is how pandemics work, growing exponentially from single events.

PEs are very well known complications of COVID 19 so it certainly isn’t allegedly! Did anyone tell YMM that after a double PE, which he is luckily to have survived as they caught it early and started treatment, that his lungs will never return to full function and that he will need to be on anticoagulation for a long time, if not for the remainder of his life.

Then there is the significant chance of developing pulmonary hypertension which has a high mortality rate.

Not sure not having the jab was that much of a good idea!