closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 29 of 32 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 ... LastLast
Results 1,401 to 1,450 of 1557

Thread: Got COVID!

Quote Originally Posted by genesos View Post
    No, as this article states - "time for a proper public inquiry to look into how these Sage ‘scenarios’ were put together and presented to policymakers and the public." :-

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/...lity-an-update
    Lock 'em up!

By the way, tens of thousands were shouting "lock him up" in regards to Fauci at Trump's weekend rally.
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Master
    Chris Smith was very optimistic about the way things are going at the moment last night on Colin Murray's 5 Live programme, but more interestingly he gave an analysis of the reason we're expected to overcome the pandemic sooner than other countries. It's worth a listen but in short:

- The Oxford AstraZeneca vaccine, more heavily used by the UK may provide a more robust, longer-lasting immune response than others

- Macron and Merkel undermined European public confidence in the vaccines in general by denigrating AstraZeneca, leaving their population vulnerable

- Our strategy a year ago to widen the interval between doses in order to get as many people as possible jabbed saved "enormous numbers of lives". The Europeans didn't follow suit.

It's all about quality of leadership in the end.

Got COVID!

Quote Originally Posted by monogroover View Post
    Chris Smith was very optimistic about the way things are going at the moment last night on Colin Murray's 5 Live programme, but more interestingly he gave an analysis of the reason we're expected to overcome the pandemic sooner than other countries. It's worth a listen but in short:

- The Oxford AstraZeneca vaccine, more heavily used by the UK may provide a more robust, longer-lasting immune response than others

- Macron and Merkel undermined European public confidence in the vaccines in general by denigrating AstraZeneca, leaving their population vulnerable

- Our strategy a year ago to widen the interval between doses in order to get as many people as possible jabbed saved "enormous numbers of lives". The Europeans didn't follow suit.

Just a shame none of that is correct!

AZ has been shown to fade just as fast, if not faster than the mRNA Vaccines. This quote from the ZOE U.K. data set tells us this

“We found that initial protection against infection a month after the second dose of the Pfizer vaccine was 88%, while after 5 to 6 months this fell to 74%. For the AstraZeneca vaccine, there was around 77% protection a month after the second dose, falling to 67% after 4 to 5 months.”

https://covid.joinzoe.com/post/covid...tection-fading

Both France and Germany have a higher proportion of their populations vaccinated than the U.K (FR 75%, DE 72%, U.K. 70%). So public confidence doesn’t look that impacted to me!

https://ourworldindata.org/covid-vac...ry=GBR~DEU~FRA

The extended time of dosing did not save more lives as we see the U.K. with one of the highest death rates in Europe and certainly above France, Germany, Spain and Italy! The only thing that extension did was keep people at risk for longer, help selective pressure on viral evolution (Ahem Alpha anyone?) but it may have made AZ look like it doesn’t fade as fast but only because you add a 3 month window before gaining full vaccination protection.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...n-inhabitants/

Oh well, so much for British exceptionalism!
    Last edited by paw3001; 18th January 2022 at 19:23.

Another 438 dead in the latest batch of reporting. Should be very sobering reading for all I hope for those on both sides of the discussion.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Crammage View Post
    Another 438 dead in the latest batch of reporting. Should be very sobering reading for all I hope for those on both sides of the discussion.
    I’m not surprised, death rate will probably peak next week, I estimate the 7 day daily average will hit around 350. That’s based on the ratio of deaths:cases and a 20 day offset between peaks. Still a large figure, over 2000/week is a lot, even though some will have died with Covid rather than of Covid.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/...covid-vaccine?

Worth reading about the real impact on people beyond the stats. The Guardian has a series.

So true.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    I wonder if you will provide a statement to update this data drop after the comments you received in the BP thread or maybe even delete it?

Quote Originally Posted by paw3001 View Post
    I wonder if you will provide a statement to update this data drop after the comments you received in the BP thread or maybe even delete it?
    Sure not.

It was on Reddit, so it must be true. And even if it isn't true, he was the first to post it. And that is the only thing that really counts.

Nope because Matt is wrong. I love the fact you side with him because this doesn't suit your narrative! Note you didn't correct the earlier poster who was lambasting the fact 400-plus people died of Covid yesterday when you know full well they didn't, not even close.

All this shows is that Covid was causing a significant excess of mortality in Over 65s up until April 2021. Since then it has not and actually current mortality in Over 65s is lower than the baseline.

Makes sense that heavy vaccination/boosters would achieve this.

Euromomo will also back this up - go here and select age over 65. The check out England, Northern Ireland and Wales

https://www.euromomo.eu/graphs-and-m...res-by-country

Or is that a lie too?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    Sure not.

It was on Reddit, so it must be true. And even if it isn't true, he was the first to post it. And that is the only thing that really counts.
    Ah, I have been expecting you Mr Bond.....

Master
    https://www.ons.gov.uk/aboutus/trans...ingcauses?s=08

My biggest worry is the more vaccines you have to prop up your immune system, at what point does it have a reverse effect IE make one weaker? Just like how we antibiotics loose effectiveness overtime.

Quote Originally Posted by southerner101 View Post
    Nice.

Right-wing politicians and media are doing this all over the world to force the national statistics offices to publish irrelevant data that they can use for misinformation.

Was done first in the US, already in 2020 and then in many other countries. Keep going, we already knew you are only in it for the misinformation.

My biggest worry is the more vaccines you have to prop up your immune system, at what point does it have a reverse effect IE make one weaker? Just like how we antibiotics loose effectiveness overtime.
    Tell me you have zero idea how vaccines work without admitting it.

It doesn't work like that. Your body is working on thousands of bugs a year. Adding a couple of vaccinations make no difference to how your body responds. It's not a muscle that gets stronger or more tired, it's just a chemical reaction that repeats itself again and again.

Master
    Just a shame none of that is correct!

AZ has been shown to fade just as fast, if not faster than the mRNA Vaccines. This quote from the ZOE U.K. data set tells us this

“We found that initial protection against infection a month after the second dose of the Pfizer vaccine was 88%, while after 5 to 6 months this fell to 74%. For the AstraZeneca vaccine, there was around 77% protection a month after the second dose, falling to 67% after 4 to 5 months.”

https://covid.joinzoe.com/post/covid...tection-fading

Both France and Germany have a higher proportion of their populations vaccinated than the U.K (FR 75%, DE 72%, U.K. 70%). So public confidence doesn’t look that impacted to me!

https://ourworldindata.org/covid-vac...ry=GBR~DEU~FRA

The extended time of dosing did not save more lives as we see the U.K. with one of the highest death rates in Europe and certainly above France, Germany, Spain and Italy! The only thing that extension did was keep people at risk for longer, help selective pressure on viral evolution (Ahem Alpha anyone?) but it may have made AZ look like it doesn’t fade as fast but only because you add a 3 month window before gaining full vaccination protection.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...n-inhabitants/

Oh well, so much for British exceptionalism!

Thanks for your analysis. Doctor Smith is a consultant virologist and a lecturer at Cambridge University, as well as being a practicing physician. Yourself?

Master
    Nice.

Right-wing politicians and media are doing this all over the world to force the national statistics offices to publish irrelevant data that they can use for misinformation.

Was done first in the US, already in 2020 and then in many other countries. Keep going, we already knew you are only in it for the misinformation.

Tell me you have zero idea how vaccines work without admitting it.

Data is data. Might be of some interest to some and not others…. Great to know we have you to decide for everyone what’s relevant though.

Vaccines are just a chemical reaction that repeats itself again and again. Simple. When you get a text you go and get your shot. Repeat when you get another text message and i guess we stop once they stop texting.

Data is data. Might be of some interest to some and not others…. Great to know we have you to decide for everyone what’s relevant though.

Vaccines are just a chemical reaction that repeats itself again and again. Simple. When you get a text you go and get your shot. Repeat when you get another text message and i guess we stop once they stop texting.
    You really need to stop posting this stuff, seriously.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Nope because Matt is wrong. I love the fact you side with him because this doesn't suit your narrative! Note you didn't correct the earlier poster who was lambasting the fact 400-plus people died of Covid yesterday when you know full well they didn't, not even close.

All this shows is that Covid was causing a significant excess of mortality in Over 65s up until April 2021. Since then it has not and actually current mortality in Over 65s is lower than the baseline.

Euromomo will also back this up - go here and select age over 65. The check out England, Northern Ireland and Wales

Or is that a lie too?
    Thank you that wasn’t so hard was it. So why don’t you do that next time rather than just dumping stuff you got off Reddit!

On the topic of 400 deaths I didnt comment because I had no data and had not reviewed it. Unlike some I only try to post when I have a source I can share so people can look it up and read for themselves and see if they agree with my reading of the data.

Thanks for your analysis. Doctor Smith is a consultant virologist and a lecturer at Cambridge University, as well as being a practicing physician. Yourself?
    His qualifications don’t prevent him from being wrong which the data with their source clearly show. His points which you highlighted are technically and scientifically wrong. Unfortunately, medics are not
    infallible and as human they have their own biases and agendas!

I am no medical Doctor but I am a trained pharmaceutical scientist working in the industry for the last 20 odd years so I would like to think I have a pretty decent idea on how to read data but I admit I am also not infallible unlike how you think your great lying leader is!

Attaboy, Vlad is going to be so proud of you.

Well that is a simplistic and very misleading piece of meaningless data.

Maybe you should also see how many people died directly from AIDS?

Attaboy, Vlad is going to be so proud of you.
    Cheer up Raffe, St Pauli just dumped Dortmund out of the cup, surely a night off to celebrate

Master
    His qualifications don’t prevent him from being wrong which the data with their source clearly show. His points which you highlighted are technically and scientifically wrong. Unfortunately, medics are not infallible and as human they have their own biases and agendas!

I am no medical Doctor but I am a trained pharmaceutical scientist working in the industry for the last 20 odd years so I would like to think I have a pretty decent idea on how to read data but I admit I am also not infallible unlike how you think your great lying leader is!

Thank-you, I just wanted to assess the authority of your position in comparison to that of Doctor Smith, and I think I've done that now. One thing I would say though is that you didn't actually base your remarks on the same information; for example your reference to one of the highest death rates in Europe covers the pandemic as a whole, whereas Chris Smith was explicitly referring to the vaccine strategy, which only came into effect a year ago.

And on a related note, you refer to the Alpha variant in the context of viral evolution provoked or assisted by a longer interval between doses - which I find puzzling because it was detected before the first dose of any vaccine was administered, except in tests. But perhaps I misunderstood you.

Thank-you, I just wanted to assess the authority of your position in comparison to that of Doctor Smith, and I think I've done that now. One thing I would say though is that you didn't actually base your remarks on the same information; for example your reference to one of the highest death rates in Europe covers the pandemic as a whole, whereas Chris Smith was explicitly referring to the vaccine strategy, which only came into effect a year ago.
    #winning

Got COVID!

And on a related note, you refer to the Alpha variant in the context of viral evolution provoked or assisted by a longer interval between doses - which I find puzzling because it was detected before the first dose of any vaccine was administered, except in tests. But perhaps I misunderstood you.
    Firstly, thank you for accepting my first two points about him being wrong about the AZ vaccine protection fade and vaccine uptake impact in France and a Germany. So that’s a good start that 66% of his claims are incorrect.

Now let’s look at you other points, whilst you are right that the vaccine delay of doses did not lead directly to Alpha, that was my not intention to imply that it had done so due to vaccine dosing delay. I was using it as an example of variant development in a population with high case numbers which the U.K. had due to the poor management of the 1st wave! Therefore, I apologise for any misunderstanding. But we have to note that the vaccine dosing delay did allow Alpha to spread unchecked to a high level in the December to March time frame and we know that viral evolution is more likely when you have a higher number of cases which means you have more viral generations and hence more risk of viral mutations. We also know that the majority of key variants have all developed in Countries with poor pandemic control and high number of cases such as Brazil, India and South Africa for example.

Let’s look at that timeline in a little more depth for the U.K. Alpha was first detected in mid-November 2020 and the first vaccine was administered at the beginning of December 2020. December 8th to Mrs Keenan in fact, that’ is a historic fact!. The UK immediately went off label and recommended a dosing time table that went against the clinical trial data, the emergency use approval and the manufacturer recommendations! So the U.K. by extending the gap between doses allowed Alpha to continue to spread relatively unchecked where it could be said that a robust vaccination schedule may have lowered that peak and may have shorted the wave. You can see below how the UK cases developed in December to March in the midst of the extended vaccination campaign.

This graph also covers the point you made by clarifying that Dr Smith was only looking at deaths after vaccination started. Well the graph above a certainly looks like a large number of those 150k deaths occurred during the vaccination role out and we also see that from Freedom day and the removal of other Non-pharmaceutical measures we see deaths increase again from July.

Whilst I don’t have the data nor the time to calculate myself, I think we can be pretty confident that the death rate from first vaccination we will still see higher rates in the U.K. compared to other Countries. No doubt we will see a jump when Boris removes further measures to try and distract from his law breaking.

Of course, vaccines have helped immensely but I doubt that the dosing extension helped save move lives then keeping to the licensed schedule especially when you compare to the lower death numbers you see the in those Countries I mentioned above which have similar or higher populations and similar vaccination rates. So again I would still challenge his opinion on this view.
    Last edited by paw3001; 19th January 2022 at 12:22.

For gods sake Paw leave the guy some shreds of his exceptionalism fantasy

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    [QUOTE]

Or is that a lie too?

I'm wrong am I?
    You are wrong. Whether you are deliberately wrong and thus lying or merely in error is up to you to work out.

You posted some nonsense- I pointed out why it was nonsense. If you don't understand what sample bias is and why it's a bad thing then just say so.

In response you posted something that isn't wrong, but is just misleading. My third point covered why it was misleading. I've explained why several times but you still don't seem to understand it. Which is odd. So here we go again:

First, we have the paradox of prevention - when people either choose to, or are told to behave in ways that protect them from Covid, say, they also protect themselves from all sorts of things that are not Covid. In the case of folks who lock down, they protect themselves from road accidents, for example. They also protect themselves from Flu, for example. Now it may well be the case that all these things protect from short term death but lead to longer term mortality, but that doesn't show. In short, as a result of trying to avoid covid, death rates drop significantly.

That means that before you even count a single death from Covid, death rates will drop significantly.

Now add the Covid deaths.

Say that the preventative action saves 400 deaths a day and then Covid causes 400 deaths a day, that doesn't mean Covid isn't dangerous. It means that the side effects of protecting against it saved as many lives as were lost from it.

And gives the sort of slimeball who prey upon gullible souls, like you are demonstrating yourself to be, plenty of ammunition. Because if we didn't protect against Covid, then we wouldn't get the secondary benefit of prevention, we wouldn't even get the primary benefit of prevention, we'd get the 400 deaths a day and we'd get however many extra deaths a day come from not taking preventative action.

In this case, the Omicron variant looked very dangerous for a while, there was an extended period in which we didn't know - but while Boris dithered for political reasons, rather a lot of people locked down, then as cases increased they quarantined and then it wasn't as terrible as it could have been and so a lot of folks didn't die of other causes and then didn't die of Covid. However 400 a day or so were not so lucky, partially backfilling the numbers.

So first, if I'm wrong, explain how this is wrong.

Second, you appear to believe the bullshit of a massive disparity between deaths at 8 days and deaths on the death certificate. I agree this will have a smal, possibly even medium sized effect, but it will not lead to:

Note you didn't correct the earlier poster who was lambasting the fact 400-plus people died of Covid yesterday when you know full well they didn't, not even close.
    At this point, nobody knows, even by the most liberal definition of 'know'. But you have twice made the case for this idea and both times I have corrected you on methodological errors that no competent adult with an interest in science should make. The current data, up to mid December simply doesn't show the massive divergence that you have asserted will be there.
    So when I said:

Second, there's this thing called sample bias - whoever bullshitted this together has used the 530,000 or so average deaths over the last few years

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulat...eferencetables

(a cohort based on the entire population) and then compared it to a cohort made up exclusively of folks who have tested positive for Covid.

So do you think that the cohort of folks who ended up with a positive Covid test is a representative sample of the entire population? If you do then you are painfully, shockingly, wrong and if you don't, then you must recognise that this is a simple case of sample bias and these numbers are going to be massively misleading.
    So second, if I'm wrong, explain how this is wrong.

Finally, there is intellectual dishonesty. You started off with one set of claims. When those were shown to be wrong, you moved to a completely different set of claims and implied that they supported the first set. I don't know if you are deceiving yourself, but you certainly are not deceiving us.
    Last edited by M4tt; 19th January 2022 at 12:20.

I believe I posted about the deaths but certainly wasn’t in a lambasting fashion.

My aim was to bring this to the attention of us all to reflect on the fact there’s still a significant number of people dying. I made no statement around because of or with Covid.

It feels the actual deaths are being dehumanised with some of the narrative here.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

It's always down to the quality of evidence and argument, not the qualification. If you can't evaluate that then feel free to commit an argumentum ad verecundiam. It's in Latin so it must be more impressive.

I believe I posted about the deaths but certainly wasn’t in a lambasting fashion.

My aim was to bring this to the attention of us all to reflect on the fact there’s still a significant number of people dying. I made no statement around because of or with Covid.

It feels the actual deaths are being dehumanised with some of the narrative here.
    And your numbers came from here and you could have easily quite the higher figure with COVID on the death certificate which is the more accurate figure in my mind.

So I am not sure why Ryan thinks they are wrong or should be challenged.

Maybe because it wasn’t in his Reddit feed?

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

Ryan has never done that before...

And your numbers came from here and you could have easily quite the higher figure with COVID on the death certificate which is the more accurate figure in my mind.

Maybe because deaths with Covid on the certificate is the WEEKLY number not the daily one ;)

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

Because he believed a spurious argument that most of the deaths within 28 days of a covid test would have occurred anyway. It's odd really, the number of times he's fallen for the baseline fallacy, you wouldn't think he'd buy an argument that tries to mislead by offering a misleading baseline by committing sample bias. I wish he'd do a course in simple stats and experimental design though...
    Last edited by M4tt; 19th January 2022 at 12:27.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Maybe because deaths with Covid on the certificate is the WEEKLY number not the daily one ;)
    Yes, but one set of figures is up to the 18th of December, that is yesterday and the other is for the week ending the 31st of December - that is 19 days ago.

Sooo... that was made up of the weekly death certificate deaths that were reported between the 24th and the 31st of December... Now I'm trying to remember, was there something going on over that period that might lead to under reporting...

Ok so a LOT to pick up on, and I think when we talk about biases (or otherwise) on my side there is also a necessity for others to have a paradigm shift. And on that subject is it not entirely selection bias that we count Covid deaths at the current time independently of all other deaths? Well we did that previously as Covid deaths were such a hugely material part of the overall death rate, a rate which was significantly above the baseline for time of year.

What I was trying to do with the data I shared was state that on one side (and I refer to the graph originating from Github) that the story shows an excess death situation of over 65s that since April has been in line with baseline norms, and in fact in the latter couple of weeks is below baseline norms.

Now you, as is your right, felt the data was too selective in nature and was painting a disingenuous picture, regardless of the intent behind this. Well, the thing with data is that unless you are analysing an entire population (pretty difficult to do) then you have to take a selection, ideally as random as possible. You felt that the selection methodology here would have concluded in a falsely positive outcome regarding excess deaths and should be discarded. This may or may not be the case, but what I then did was share Euromomo data which shows excess deaths per country, and one can refine the selection further to look at over 65s. This I did in England, NI and Wales and it replicated what the Github data said (Scotland was an outlier where excess deaths are up currently, bizarrely despite Sturgeon's stricter lockdown measures).

Now I don't know the Euromomo data methodology, and I also know there is a delay of a couple of weeks on the data (it goes up to week 1 Jan) but thus far it replicates the other data. I do understand Euromomo is well regarded however.

So where this leaves us is as follows - whether or not you are uncomfortable with the methodology behind the data selection process, and whether or not you feel there is intention to misrepresent, the simple fact is that we have 2 reports with different methodologies essentially saying the same thing. Neither report downplays the pandemic as both indicate huge, crushing and tragic peaks in excess mortality in the other waves, but it indicates that currently this is not the case. One would assume the reason is the vaccines, prior infection and so on. So that's a good thing.

It isn't an indicator that the pandemic is over and that we won't get any nastier variants turn up, it just says at the moment there are not more over 65s dying than would normally be the case (in fact currently fewer are). No consolation to the loved ones who are losing relatives but we should also not lose sight of the fact that we aren't in a situation where thousands of people are dying in excess of the norm, with overflowing mortuaries and so on. The reality is somewhat less dramatic than some of the media would have us believe.
    [QUOTE=M4tt;5917507]

You are wrong. Whether you are deliberately wrong and thus lying or merely in error is up to you to work out.

You posted some nonsense- I pointed out why it was nonsense. If you don't understand what sample bias is and why it's a bad thing then just say so.

In response you posted something that isn't wrong, but is just misleading. My third point covered why it was misleading. I've explained why several times but you still don't seem to understand it. Which is odd. So here we go again:

First, we have the paradox of prevention - when people either choose to, or are told to behave in ways that protect them from Covid, say, they also protect themselves from all sorts of things that are not Covid. In the case of folks who lock down, they protect themselves from road accidents, for example. They also protect themselves from Flu, for example. Now it may well be the case that all these things protect from short term death but lead to longer term mortality, but that doesn't show. In short, as a result of trying to avoid covid, death rates drop significantly.

That means that before you even count a single death from Covid, death rates will drop significantly.

Now add the Covid deaths.

Say that the preventative action saves 400 deaths a day and then Covid causes 400 deaths a day, that doesn't mean Covid isn't dangerous. It means that the side effects of protecting against it saved as many lives as were lost from it.

And gives the sort of slimeball who prey upon gullible souls, like you are demonstrating yourself to be, plenty of ammunition. Because if we didn't protect against Covid, then we wouldn't get the secondary benefit of prevention, we wouldn't even get the primary benefit of prevention, we'd get the 400 deaths a day and we'd get however many extra deaths a day come from not taking preventative action.

In this case, the Omicron variant looked very dangerous for a while, there was an extended period in which we didn't know - but while Boris dithered for political reasons, rather a lot of people locked down, then as cases increased they quarantined and then it wasn't as terrible as it could have been and so a lot of folks didn't die of other causes and then didn't die of Covid. However 400 a day or so were not so lucky, partially backfilling the numbers.

So first, if I'm wrong, explain how this is wrong.

Second, you appear to believe the bullshit of a massive disparity between deaths at 8 days and deaths on the death certificate. I agree this will have a smal, possibly even medium sized effect, but it will not lead to:

At this point, nobody knows, even by the most liberal definition of 'know'. But you have twice made the case for this idea and both times I have corrected you on methodological errors that no competent adult with an interest in science should make. The current data, up to mid December simply doesn't show the massive divergence that you have asserted will be there.
    So when I said:

So second, if I'm wrong, explain how this is wrong.

Finally, there is intellectual dishonesty. You started off with one set of claims. When those were shown to be wrong, you moved to a completely different set of claims and implied that they supported the first set. I don't know if you are deceiving yourself, but you certainly are not deceiving us.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Ok so a LOT to pick up on, and I think when we talk about biases (or otherwise) on my side there is also a necessity for others to have a paradigm shift. And on that subject is it not entirely selection bias that we count Covid deaths at the current time independently of all other deaths? Well we did that previously as Covid deaths were such a hugely material part of the overall death rate, a rate which was significantly above the baseline for time of year.
    I'm talking about a specific sort of statistical bias in selecting a cohort that clearly occurs in the data you put forward. Can you even explain what it is? Please.

What I was trying to do with the data I shared was state that on one side (and I refer to the graph originating from Github) that the story shows an excess death situation of over 65s that since April has been in line with baseline norms, and in fact in the latter couple of weeks is below baseline norms.
    That's odd, it looked like you were trying to support your previous position. As I've said several times and explained a moment ago, that's down to the paradox of prevention. Can you explain what that is as I'm losing faith in your basic understanding of what you are arguing.

Now you, as is your right, felt the data was too selective in nature and was painting a disingenuous picture, regardless of the intent behind this. Well, the thing with data is that unless you are analysing an entire population (pretty difficult to do) then you have to take a selection, ideally as random as possible. You felt that the selection methodology here would have concluded in a falsely positive outcome regarding excess deaths and should be discarded. This may or may not be the case,

No it absolutely was the case - one cohort was the entire population of the UK. The other was all and only the people who had tested positive for Covid through PCR. I'll say it again if you think that the latter is an accurate sample of the former, then you are wrong. That you don't see the problem suggests you don't understand it and are just blustering.
    but what I then did was share Euromomo data which shows excess deaths per country, and one can refine the selection further to look at over 65s. This I did in England, NI and Wales and it replicated what the Github data said (Scotland was an outlier where excess deaths are up currently, bizarrely despite Sturgeon's stricter lockdown measures).
    Cool, but that was done to support your previous contention, which was wrong and merely introduced a third sample that was once again not representative.

Now I don't know the Euromomo data methodology, and I also know there is a delay of a couple of weeks on the data (it goes up to week 1 Jan) but thus far it replicates the other data. I do understand Euromomo is well regarded however.
    They may be, but if you read their methodology they are clear that they are merely talking about all causes and as such offer a perfect example of the paradox of protection in action - as I alreay explained.

So where this leaves us is as follows - whether or not you are uncomfortable with the methodology behind the data selection process, and whether or not you feel there is intention to misrepresent, the simple fact is that we have 2 reports with different methodologies essentially saying the same thing.
    No we don't - we have one that is wrong because of sample bias and one which is misleading because of the paradox of prevention. I've explained that and once again, if you don't understand that you really shouldn't be posting it.

Neither report downplays the pandemic as both indicate huge, crushing and tragic peaks in excess mortality in the other waves, but it indicates that currently this is not the case. One would assume the reason is the vaccines, prior infection and so on. So that's a good thing.
    You might assume that, but the main reason is the paradox of prevention allied to the fact that even in the unvaccinated, Omicron appears to be comparatively mild. So it's still killing tragically large numbers of people, but is being hidden behind large numbers of people taking preventative action which protects them from more than covid.

It isn't an indicator that the pandemic is over and that we won't get any nastier variants turn up, it just says at the moment there are not more over 65s dying than would normally be the case (in fact currently fewer are). No consolation to the loved ones who are losing relatives but we should also not lose sight of the fact that we aren't in a situation where thousands of people are dying in excess of the norm, with overflowing mortuaries and so on. The reality is somewhat less dramatic than some of the media would have us believe.
    And that's true, but it's a very long way from the opening claim in the meme here:

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...=1#post5917019

We categorically cannot calculate the excess deaths caused by Covid in that way. Now either you didn't understand what you posted or you did adn have deliberately equivocated from that to the claim that excess deaths have dropped in the over 65s (which is your current claim). These are not the same claims. Worse, as I have explained, while excess deaths have dropped, Covid deaths have increased significantly and are just hidden by other factors.

So which is it? do you not understand the figures or are you being slippery?

Oh, and don't use the word 'paradigm' ever again anywhere. It's for your own good.
    Last edited by M4tt; 19th January 2022 at 13:45.

Apprentice
    Touch wood, haven't caught it !

Got COVID!

Oh I was looking at the 174k vs 150k as running totals. Is that not higher and haven’t we agreed that death certificate entry is a more accurate figure?

You know what they say about Assume?

Plus the 438 that you claimed was wrong wasn’t, was it?

Master
    Restrictions to end next week!!

Quote Originally Posted by craig1912 View Post
    You have had so many!

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Oh I was looking at the 174k vs 150k as running totals. Is that not higher and haven’t we agreed that death certificate entry is a more accurate figure?

You know what they say about Assume?

Plus the 438 that you claimed was wrong wasn’t, was it?
    Bugger. I assumed.

- - - Updated - - -

Wow, Brexit, Covid and the BBC all done! All we need now is a buyer for the NHS.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by craig1912 View Post
    Green passes gone for South of the border, now what about Scotland. Hopefully mandated jabs for NHS staff drop now too.

I imagine a few angry meetings in countries across Europe.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Is choking to death a symptom of Omicron now?

Got COVID!

Quote Originally Posted by 33JS View Post
    Suppose we don’t know what role COVID played in her death. Still idiotic though.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 33JS View Post
    Funnily enough, yes it is. Omicron can causes pneumonia and if you've ever seen someone trying to breath with pneumonia... That's why oxygen is so important - your lungs stop working properly, the oxygen content of your blood drops and one of the oddities of Covid in general is that folks suffering from hypoxia because their lungs are failing don't notice how low on oxygen they are. However, even a coughing fit could bring on anoxia as the struggle to breathe, panic and so on start a vicious circle releasing more blood and lymph into already buggered lungs.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2020/11/201119153946.htm

https://respiratory-research.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12931-020-01462-5

Hypoxia is one of those nasty things that have an affect on your metacognitive ability to notice you have a problem, so yes, it fits all too well. I'm pretty sure that as the misinformation merchants descend on this one we'll see a more careful explanation.
    Last edited by M4tt; 19th January 2022 at 16:14.

Suppose we don’t know what role COVID played in her death. Still idiotic though.
    Or if it was Delta. Omicron became the predominant variant in the Czech Republic on the Jan so a strong chance it was Delta. Either way, Darwinism wins

Or if it was Delta. Omicron became the predominant variant in the Czech Republic on the Jan so a strong chance it was Delta. Either way, Darwinism wins
    Not really Darwinism when a 57 year old with child(ren) dies...

Not really Darwinism when a 57 year old with child(ren) dies...
    What would you just call it tragic when someone who is unvaccinated intentionally goes out of their way to catch a disease we know to be deadly when you are in a higher age bracket? Other terms that could be applied may be

Irresponsible?
    Unlucky?
    Unintentional suicide?
    Misled?

What would you just call it tragic when someone who is unvaccinated intentionally goes out of their way to catch a disease we know to be deadly when you are in a higher age bracket? Other terms that could be applied may be

Irresponsible?
    Unlucky?
    Unintentional suicide?
    Misled?
    I've already said she was idiotic - certainly not Darwinism.