closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: AP Code watches

AP Code watches

Any reason why these seem less popular? If you could get 15% off would you do it?

Personally I think they look great but are pricey

Craftsman
    I would buy them, have seriously considered it but going for a high complication VC…part of the problem is the design is edgy…other issue is it isn’t a RO, therefore not guaranteed to double your money

Suspect it might be a slow burn to popularity

Also interesting to see if they ever do something with a bracelet since that’s a massive selling point for the RO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it got me a RO then maybe - but it wouldn't be a keeper, the case looks way too thick for my taste.

I think the RO bracelet is somewhat overrated. Sure it is nice but then compare it with the bracelet on a Minase Divido and then say which is the better. The Minase bracelet costs around £2k, I suspect the RO bracelet somewhat more.

The white gold one with the blue dial on rubber looks nice. As does the grey smoked dial on rubber but that’s a chronograph which is 41k.

If it’s on any configuration I’d go for it. I’m assuming it’s through an AD rather than direct?

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    The white gold one with the blue dial on rubber looks nice. As does the grey smoked dial on rubber but that’s a chronograph which is 41k.

If it’s on any configuration I’d go for it. I’m assuming it’s through an AD rather than direct?
    I'm not actually in the market for one but I was keen to understand why they seemed unpopular. Too rich for me price wise and at that money I'd be looking at Moser anyway but I don't think the designs look that bad if you must have an AP

Journeyman
    I really like the look of them, the latest dials seem to really pop.
    Haven’t seen one in the flesh yet but design looks really interesting.
    I’m keen to see the pink gold, purple dial.

Craftsman
    To be honest I think the reason they aren’t more popular is that pretty much everyone that isn’t a watch nerd wouldn’t recognise it as being an expensive watch. I think this alone puts many potential buyers off, as a hell of a lot of people like to show off.

I think it’s a beautiful piece, with some interesting design elements and having handled one briefly I can say they’re beautifully made. If I had that sort of money and was looking for a slightly dressier piece I wouldn’t hesitate

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    I think the RO bracelet is somewhat overrated. Sure it is nice but then compare it with the bracelet on a Minase Divido and then say which is the better. The Minase bracelet costs around £2k, I suspect the RO bracelet somewhat more.
    U wot m8? You do come up with some corkers, Ryan.

Master
    I personally think the bracelet is stunning.

As to the code, I tried quite a few on when they came out and they were quite easy to buy. They look a lot better on the wrist than in photos - at the time I thought they were quite expensive, but the way the markets gone, they were probably priced quite well for that market.

I’d be surprised if you could get 15% off as I think they’ve become harder to get now like just about everything at AP.

I'm not actually in the market for one but I was keen to understand why they seemed unpopular. Too rich for me price wise and at that money I'd be looking at Moser anyway but I don't think the designs look that bad if you must have an AP
    Originally because they came across as an AP Daniel Wellington. Now because they’re the starter when what you want is the main course.

I do like the blue and wouldn’t mind seeing one in person but I’d say many are bought to get to second base.

Blog Entries
    Nah, don't like the barrel case. Wait for a proper one.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Originally because they came across as an AP Daniel Wellington. Now because they’re the starter when what you want is the main course.

I do like the blue and wouldn’t mind seeing one in person but I’d say many are bought to get to second base.
    This really.

In isolation they're a decent and high AP quality, but the dials have a balance issue IMO. And they're expensive, so no other reason to buy other than what Wiley points out.

I like the case from the side but from the top it’s not so interesting and aside from the open worked and pc I don’t like the dials.

The Minase Divido with blue dial really reminds me of the Storm watches that were popular when I was at school and not in a good way.

Styling is not to everyone's taste but it may be worth checking this review of the Divido before poo-pooing the quality of the bracelet.

I've owned the Divido and the previous generation RO so I feel qualified to comment

https://www.fratellowatches.com/hand...e-divido/#gref

Master
    I’ve owned mine for almost two years and really like it. I love the crazy refractions from the crystal geometry, the unusual lug design, and the applied Arabic numerals. I even like the date placement - I don’t think I’d own one with a missing “3”.

Being white gold and pretty chunky, it does weigh a fair bit, but that too is a plus for me.

AP purists originally hated it, but I think the more recent gradient dials have changed some minds.

Styling is not to everyone's taste but it may be worth checking this review of the Divido before poo-pooing the quality of the bracelet.

I've owned the Divido and the previous generation RO so I feel qualified to comment

Interesting article, the bracelet actually looks nicer from the back than the front!

Quote Originally Posted by gladders View Post
    I’ve owned mine for almost two years and really like it. I love the crazy refractions from the crystal geometry, the unusual lug design, and the applied Arabic numerals. I even like the date placement - I don’t think I’d own one with a missing “3”.

Being white gold and pretty chunky, it does weigh a fair bit, but that too is a plus for me.

AP purists originally hated it, but I think the more recent gradient dials have changed some minds.

That looks really nice. I love the case construction.

Craftsman
    I tried on a few with the gradient dials and thought they were very nice indeed. A bit pricey relative to what else I could buy however, so I didn't purchase.

You are indeed qualified to comment.

Unfortunately there are those who are only interested with the name on the dial.

Doubt if many who will bang on about the RO bracelet have also tried on the Divado.

Quote Originally Posted by gbn13 View Post
    You are indeed qualified to comment.

Unfortunately there are those who are only interested with the name on the dial.

Doubt if many who will bang on about the RO bracelet have also tried on the Divido.

I’ve tried on a Divado that a mate owns and I own/have tried on many, many AP’s and, I’m sorry, but the latter is vastly superior and it’s just got nothing to do with brand name on the dial.

Each to their own and good to have some diversity of views based on real world experiences.

As for the Code 11.59, AP now offer quite a few beautiful dial/strap combos and I’m a fan so will add one to my collection at some point. As Devonian rightly said they are scarce and are a wait piece in their own right so you do need to be patient to get one.

Assume the 15% quoted was some kind of tax free purchase option Ryan? If I could buy a Code 11.59 with that sort of discount, I’d buy today!

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth-W View Post

Assume the 15% quoted was some kind of tax free purchase option Ryan? If I could buy a Code 11.59 with that sort of discount, I’d buy today!
    Sorry the 15% was hypothetical - basically if you could get some money off would you do it? I for sure don't have an offer in play for a 15% discount off that model.

Re the comparison with the RO bracelet, interesting that you felt the RO bracelet was better. Shows how subjective the hobby is. I just found out 30 mins ago that the Minase bracelet actually costs a bit more than the RO bracelet! But for me what makes the Minase bracelet actually noticeably better is how thin and light it is, how it doesn't trap hairs (the RO is crap in this regard), how it kind of 'flows' with the internal links actually making a kind of water ripple shape on the wrist, how the polishing is much finer with more facets than the brushed RO bracelet and of course the amazing link attachment system meaning no visible screws on the bracelet.

I actually felt it was materially better as a piece of wearable art and an exercise in superlative finishing- sure the RO bracelet is chunkier and maybe if that's what people view as quality then fair enough but I felt the Divido bracelet to be almost organic.

What people tend to hate most about that watch is the cut out date.
    Last edited by ryanb741; 9th January 2022 at 02:14.

Master
    That looks really nice. I love the case construction.
    Agreed - the case is fantastic. I love the bi-metal versions. WF have a white gold / rose gold with gray dial, but, for me, the white gold / ceramic case is the winning combination:

simon

Craftsman
    The design and dials are not what you'd expect from a £27k watch that starts at 27k

The entry level dials are improving don't not look great unreal life IMO.

Turn it over and the calibre then makes you want to overlook the disk design.

Everything above the code line is subjective and we know AP are moving down this route. But why launch a new line? Why not retain the Jules Audemars line and upgrade the movement.

Even with 15% off I'd pass on their entry models, as it's buying the brand not the watch.

Given Ryan and my meeting of minds over the Minase Divido & its stunning bracelet there'll be no surprise that something as different as the Code leaves me drooling.
    There's basically nothing about the design I don't like.
    Currently I've no interest in the ROs really. For whatever reason "port-hole" watches do nothing for me.
    But these? Basically a grail for me, albeit having never seen one in the flesh.
    I love the ombré dials, I love the skeletonised lugs, the applied numerals/markers, the choice of colours, and the sapphire casebacks.
    Basically the only thing I don't love is that they're only gold because it means I'll never be able to afford one. Even in steel I'd likely be pushing my luck price-wise but it'd feel like something that may be attainable in the long term.