closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Smartish watch for new job

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    I certainly pissed a client off once - he was the FD of a company in the healthcare sector. After chasing an unpaid bill for longer than I was comfortable with I finally confronted him face to face about it. His response was "Maybe you should sell one of your watches"!
    Had a similar comments both ways at work more than once re watches from clients and colleagues. These days I only wear my Sub in the office and most days (ignoring covid) wear a Seiko.

I follow a guy on instagram with his own business who has millions in watches, even a £300k Lange and multiple Platinum Pateks and APs. His stories are always interesting - for client meets he only wears an Apple Watch, Speedmaster or Sub. His line is “if you show bling they won’t buy a thing”.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    I certainly pissed a client off once - he was the FD of a company in the healthcare sector. After chasing an unpaid bill for longer than I was comfortable with I finally confronted him face to face about it. His response was "Maybe you should sell one of your watches"!
    LOL, oh dear.

I'd be looking at a used Nomos. Feels like the right answer to your requirements and budget. They're cracking value on the secondary market IMO.

Personally I’d be seeking counselling because there are clearly some issues around acceptance.

No idea what your new job is but FFS, is the watch important? Will anyone notice? Does it affect how you perform in your new role?

Madness!

As above, you're overthinking it imo. I highly doubt anyone will give a toss what watch you're wearing.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Idontgram View Post
    Nomos. Pick your favourite. I’d get a used metro gangreserve datum if the budget would stretch (which it won’t at 1.5k, but not too far)
    Agree. I have a Ludwig for work. It’s the perfect stealth non-flash WIS watch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grand Master
    Thankfully I live in a world where no-one cares what you wear on your wrist or anywhere else - hence I'm always in shorts, t-shirt (or polo shirt) and trainers or flip-flops. My boss wears a Seiko. But I'm an engineer (software) .. but back to the subject, your 3 daily wearers are ideal, but (if you need an excuse) to buy another, then for £1.5k I'd probably go for a Tag Aquaracer ..
    /vince ..

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Personally I’d be seeking counselling because there are clearly some issues around acceptance.

No idea what your new job is but FFS, is the watch important? Will anyone notice? Does it affect how you perform in your new role?

Madness!
    Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    As above, you're overthinking it imo. I highly doubt anyone will give a toss what watch you're wearing.
    I don't think either of you have quite read the thread properly.

I'd go with something from Longines - the Heritage Classic Collection.

https://www.longines.com/en-gb/watch...ritage-classic

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Spesh View Post
    Wrong side of the bed?

Big time.

Craftsman
    I think people are misunderstanding the thread. If the OP is anything like me, it's about how the watch make you feel when you're wearing it. I'm more confident if I feel I'm wearing the right watch for a situation even though 99.9% of people won't even notice I'm wearing a watch. It why I love watches in the first place; a little box of metal filled with cogs, gears and springs has the ability to make me feel good when I strap it on my wrist.

I would also add that the OP has clearly done his man maths and arrived at the conclusion thst he can justify another watch. It is not up to everyone else to deny him this opportunity to extend his collection, by telling him that he already has the right watch

Master
    Well under budget - A Tissot Powermatic 80.
    Wear it Mon- Fri, chuck it in a drawer for the weekend
    and it'll still be going on monday morning.

maseman

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt M View Post
    I think people are misunderstanding the thread. If the OP is anything like me, it's about how the watch make you feel when you're wearing it. I'm more confident if I feel I'm wearing the right watch for a situation even though 99.9% of people won't even notice I'm wearing a watch. It why I love watches in the first place; a little box of metal filled with cogs, gears and springs has the ability to make me feel good when I strap it on my wrist.
    Bingo!

I'm in a similar situation to the OP and while not thinking of buying a new watch when I start (although I do 'need' an office GMT - or world timer - so have been hanging my nose over the Laco Frankfurt and some very out of budget Omega Aqua Terras and Breitling Unitimes) I have wondered about office watch 'etiquette'. I've home worked for the past 10 years - during which my watch obsession started so this is new territory for me.

I have either my Smiths Explorer 40mm or Eterna Tangaroa for day 1 though, probably the Eterna as it has a date. After that the rest will come out I just can't not wear them.

How about a mid-range Seiko?

Or something like a Casio Duro.

Something tells me you're overthinking this - Or maybe I've just never given it any thought?

I've worn everything from a modern Sekonda and a second hand Lorus to my vintage Cosmonaute to work in the days when I actually went anywhere (100% home based and remote these days) and never gave it any thought.

A few colleagues knew of my interest in watches and might ask what I was wearing, but most people didn't even notice I was wearing a watch.

ETA - Just read the last post and I wonder if something vintage might fit the bill? Interesting, stylish, but not a 'statement' watch.

One of the Everest 'range' might be a good choice, too, although it's probably easier to pick up a Rolex diver than a new one of those these days!

The Caribbean in black is a fairly low-key, stylish, watch too - Perfect for open neck shirt office wear, I'd think, but the same issue applies.

M
    Last edited by snowman; 25th November 2021 at 13:06.
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    How about a mid-range Seiko?

Or something like a Casio Duro.

Something tells me you're overthinking this - Or maybe I've just never given it any thought?

I've worn everything from a modern Sekonda and a second hand Lorus to my vintage Cosmonaute to work in the days when I actually went anywhere (100% home based and remote these days) and never gave it any thought.

A few colleagues knew of my interest in watches and might ask what I was wearing, but most people didn't even notice I was wearing a watch.

ETA - Just read the last post and I wonder if something vintage might fit the bill? Interesting, stylish, but not a 'statement' watch.

One of the Everest 'range' might be a good choice, too, although it's probably easier to pick up a Rolex diver than a new one of those these days!

The Caribbean in black is a fairly low-key, stylish, watch too - Perfect for open neck shirt office wear, I'd think, but the same issue applies.

M
    The crux of the matter is that I'm after something a little bit smarter to better suit the attire that I'm wearing to work and also have the opportunity to expand my collection. At the moment I only really own "sports style" watches, so something a little bit smarter would fit the bill nicely and also be good for other occasions adding a bit of diversity. I previously owned a Zenith Elite Ultra Thin, which if I still had would not be asking this question. Something like that watch or the previously mentioned Nomos would be the kind of style I'm thinking of.

I think maybe the thread title I chose has thrown some people off a bit.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    My BiL had to pick his car carefully when in post in Germany. While in a senior position, it was politely suggested he avoided the S Class or the C Class, as both would not reflect his position accurately enough.

Therefore I do not think it is as silly as it may appear, although the OP conceded it was also a good excuse for another timepiece.
    This is unfortunately true. I worked in the Purchasing profession for nearly forty years and the unwritten rule is that a Buyer should never wear a Rolex. That was prevalent back as far as the 1980s. Rolex was seen as a brand for the untrustworthy and any Buyer wearing a Rolex was always suspected of being on the take. Therefore they wore Omegas and Breitlings etc, but never a Rolex.

I bought my first Rolex when I knew my working days were over.

In the OPs position I would opt for a Speedy. They have a reputation of being worn by the more academic and the fact that you don't need a date on your watch at least demonstrates that you have a memory. If yesterday was the 24th, guess what today is.

Master
    Omega AT?

Master
    I would buy something I like (obviously) that is also popular so easy to flip, as I think ultimately you’ll be wearing the SD and Speedie in a couple of weeks.

You could go for something like a Kurono. Certainly smart enough, and clearly a bit WIS.

Or perhaps one of the Nomos Club 40mm LEs, available in Black, Blue and Olive.

My BiL had to pick his car carefully when in post in Germany. While in a senior position, it was politely suggested he avoided the S Class or the C Class, as both would not reflect his position accurately enough.

Therefore I do not think it is as silly as it may appear, although the OP conceded it was also a good excuse for another timepiece.
    Well, it's as silly (although if it's an excuse to buy a new watch it's absolutely sensible ), it's just Germans obviously extend it to cars I think if you're spending your own money on a car, you can buy what you want, but company car schemes of old (most are less prescriptive these days) definitely had such a hierarchy.

That said, sometimes things can send the wrong message.

Years back I worked with a salesman who had an AMG Mercedes (when they were truly handbuilt specials), but he'd often visit customers in a Ford Mondeo because he was concerned some would find the Mercedes too ostentatious and make people think we charged too much!

Most probably wouldn't have had a clue that the Merc wasn't just a 3rd hand taxi, but he felt it could be an issue, so was careful about which clients he visited in it.

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    Well, it's as silly (although if it's an excuse to buy a new watch it's absolutely sensible ), it's just Germans obviously extend it to cars
    I was actually shocked when I arrived in this country by how cheap second hand cars were (compared to France). Then it was explained to me that registration numbers were date coded and stayed with the car, and as such cars 2-3+ years old were not sending the "right" message to neighbours and work colleagues.

I must confess I have taken advantage of this snobbism repeatedly.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master

Madness!

Your bang on with your comment. I was trying to be polite with the one that I made.

I once worked with a young Butler ( one of many ) whilst employed as the Senior Butler at Chequers for the then PM, Mr David Cameron. All this kid was interested in was what DC would think of his watch (s). TBH all the PM was interested in, was what time he got fed.

The kids watches were pretty shit anyway.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by MADDOG View Post
    Your bang on with your comment. I was trying to be polite with the one that I made.

I once worked with a young Butler ( one of many ) whilst employed as the Senior Butler at Chequers for the then PM, Mr David Cameron. All this kid was interested in was what DC would think of his watch (s). TBH all the PM was interested in, was what time he got fed.

The kids watches were pretty shit anyway.
    If you read my comment a few posts up you'll see he really isn't.

If you read my comment a few posts up you'll see he really isn't.
    You are asking too much
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    My completely 'under the radar' watch is a mid '70s Zenith - one of these: https://watchcharts.com/listing/1606...572pc-original
    It looks fairly dressy and if anyone is interested enough to identify it as a Zenith they will recognise it as a decent watch. It cost me £26 brand new in the early '80s, when stock was being liquidated and I was tipped off by my uncle who was a watchmaker.
    If, in your position, I honestly thought this was a potential issue I would buy something similar for a couple of hundred - there's loads of similar style Omegas available. The beauty about initially wearing an older watch is that nobody can make assumptions.

I don't think either of you have quite read the thread properly.
    I get it now. You want a new watch to go with your tie.

Craftsman
    You are asking too much
    I get it now. You want a new watch to go with your tie.
    Yeah, Saint-Just hit the nail on the head

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    What did he go for in the end?
    E class obviously!

How about a Tudor 1926? On leather it can be smart and casual. Not too flashy but smart enough to catch the eye of watch enthusiasts perhaps??

Craftsman
    Having read most of it I’m actually unsure if this is a troll thread or not

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by J3w3ll3r View Post
    Having read most of it I’m actually unsure if this is a troll thread or not

It's not a troll thread. The OP asked a question and answers were given, whether he liked them or not.

If you ask a silly question , then sorry, but your going to get a silly answer.

Apprentice

Smartish watch for new job

If you aren’t averse to high accuracy quartz, maybe a GS SBGX261 or other similar in white, silver, or blue. Has a date. Under the radar, but very sharp and well finished.

Last edited by jodydavis; 27th November 2021 at 21:34.

Master
    If you can find one, how about a Damasko DK12 or DK13?

I’d concur with a more ‘stealth’ option like Damasko or Sinn. Few years back I was working in the Oil and Gas sector and Rolii, with the occasional Planet Ocean were ubiquitous. The Damasko DC66 and Sinn U1 were good options, amazing build, great looks and horological performance.

Sinn do some nice semi-dressy options in your ballpark like this:

https://www.francisandgaye.co.uk/sin...-836010-p35372

There is only one rule- the watch shouldn’t be smarter than the new employee.

Craftsman
    New job over here. Ditching the Omega AquaTerra and going for Swiss Watch Company ARK.
    Agree with Rajen - watch should not be smarter than new employee. Go understated, you can always move out from there easier than winding your neck in.

Master
    In a previous job we lost a piece of work in Switzerland on price. The client commented on the high day rates and we provided a good answer.

When he said the junior project team staff were all wearing luxury watches I glanced around the table and he has a point. They had all enjoyed months of flying through Geneva.

As above, something subtle that a watch enthusiast would appreciate not a brash expensive piece.

Quote Originally Posted by joe narvey View Post

As above, something subtle that a watch enthusiast would appreciate not a brash expensive piece.
    Agree with that. So something German or Japanese might fit the bill better. Or anOrdain from Glasgow.

Journeyman
    A few people have mentioned this but something vintage seems like a good choice. I’d probably go for an omega pie pan constellation or something of a similar size and age.

And an excuse for a new watch totally makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by lewie View Post
    What a very strange world we live in - debating a £1500 watch purchase to avoid being stereotyped.
    Strap on whatever you want and to hell with what people think- surly that says more about them than you
    Sad world isn't it when you are judged on what watch you wear, thought we'd moved on from this snobbery.
    G Shock Casioak😁

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by MADDOG View Post
    It's not a troll thread. The OP asked a question and answers were given, whether he liked them or not.

If you ask a silly question , then sorry, but your going to get a silly answer.
    More fool the person contributing to a thread that they consider to be silly.
    Last edited by Spesh; 28th November 2021 at 23:23.

Craftsman
    anOrdain should be dropping a new batch of grey fume model 1s tomorrow.
    Perfect dressy watch but you'll need quick trigger fingers at release time. They sell out nearly as quickly as Eddie's.

Cheap Nomos Tangente just gone up on SC.