closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smartish watch for new job

Craftsman

Smartish watch for new job

Hi all,

I'm starting a new job in January and am on the hunt for reasonably smart but relatively inexpensive watch (budget around £1.5k). My current job is office based but the dress code is fairly casual so I tend to wear a SeaDweller, Speedie Pro or Big Pilot on rotation. I don't think any of these will be suitable for my new role so have my eye out for something that will fit nicely under the cuff, but without breaking the bank.

I've looked at a couple of Longines. I think one was the Flagship Heritage and another that had a moonphase complication which I liked a lot, but the lugs were too square. The only real requirement is that it should have a date function, so I'm not really open to full on dress watches but am keen to hear some suggestions....

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Spesh View Post
    I don't think any of these will be suitable for my new role so have my eye out for something that will fit nicely under the cuff
    So what is the dress code for your new role?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    So what is the dress code for your new role?
    No jeans but no tie either, so smart trousers and a collared shirt.

Craftsman
    Sinn 556i

What's wrong with the Speedy in the office? I could see the Rolex may possibly set off some hierarchical jealousies although there's no cyclops, but a Speedy would fit under most cuffs and can look very smart on a variety of straps or bracelets.

Someone is selling a Hanhart 417 ES LE in bronze on SC for this budget (well, a few quid over).
    Not only a bargain, but also totally suitable for this role, and as a bronze watch, something you don't currently have in your collection.
    Hand winding, so will fit under a cuff, and relatively niche (i.e. not household name) brand, but still with plenty of heritage.
    D

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post
    What's wrong with the Speedy in the office? I could see the Rolex may possibly set off some hierarchical jealousies although there's no cyclops, but a Speedy would fit under most cuffs and can look very smart on a variety of straps or bracelets.
    This - speedy sounds ideal

Blog Entries
    No jeans but no tie either, so smart trousers and a collared shirt.
    Er... in that case, SeaDweller, Speedie Pro or Big Pilot. :-)

Or anything else really, I'd guess, that isn't overly flashy or silly.
    Last edited by markrlondon; 24th November 2021 at 14:43.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post
    I agree there's nothing wrong with a Speedy in the office, but I'm looking for something a little less sporty. It also has no date.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    Someone is selling a Hanhart 417 ES LE in bronze on SC for this budget (well, a few quid over).
    Not only a bargain, but also totally suitable for this role, and as a bronze watch, something you don't currently have in your collection.
    Hand winding, so will fit under a cuff, and relatively niche (i.e. not household name) brand, but still with plenty of heritage.
    D
    I don't usually fret about how people perceive my watch but, even for me, I don't think a bronze watch in this scenario would be suitable. It could look to non-WISs like gold or pretend-gold, and that might not suit a 'smart-casual' environment or people's perceptions.

That said, from the OP's description, I really do think that anything from a retro Casio LCD to a Rolex Sub (by way of his SD, Speedie and Big Pilot) would suit.

Craftsman
    I don't usually fret about how people perceive my watch but, even for me, I don't think a bronze watch in this scenario would be suitable. It could look to non-WISs like gold or pretend-gold, and that might not suit a 'smart-casual' environment or people's perceptions.

That said, from the OP's description, I really do think that anything from a retro Casio LCD to a Rolex Sub (by way of his SD, Speedie and Big Pilot) would suit.
    I'm reluctant to wear the SD until I am better known amongst my peers. It might sound silly, but I don't want to be seen to be trying to make a statement before people know me. The Speedy lacks the date function and the Big Pilot is the 46mm version so won't go under a cuff and is extremely indiscrete.

I do agree with your previous remark however.

Blog Entries
    I agree there's nothing wrong with a Speedy in the office, but I'm looking for something a little less sporty. It also has no date.
    I'm not sure if they appear sporty or not but the Smiths Caribbean 1000 PRS-55, Smith Baby Willard PRS-68, Baby Speedbird PRS-51, or Speedbird III PRS-22 might all be suitable.

As a Titoni fan, I'm going to suggest a Titoni:

https://www.titoni.ch/en/collection/...line-1919.html

Blog Entries
    I'm reluctant to wear the SD until I am better known amongst my peers. It might sound silly, but I don't want to be seen to be trying to make a statement before people know me.
    Yes, I can appreciate the (potential) problem.

Most people are not WISs and would not particularly notice or care about a SD (or Sub, or anything else similar).

BUT... some offices seem to be all about status and about comparison and, in places like that, watches matter. Until you know more about what it's like, I can appreciate that playing safe might be a better option to begin with.

In that case, a black dial/black bezel Smith Caribbean might actually be a good choice. Has a date, it's smart, but it's not overly showy, and it's not well known. Only drawback is that it's a bit tall.

Were in your position I might go for a PRS-10 on leather. Has a date, fits under a cuff, again looks smart but not showy.

P.S. Yes, I know watches other than Timefactors ones exist but we do have a good choice of watches 'locally'. ;-)
    Last edited by markrlondon; 24th November 2021 at 14:56.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lampoc View Post
    As a Titoni fan, I'm going to suggest a Titoni:

https://www.titoni.ch/en/collection/...line-1919.html
    Looks nice.

Craftsman
    Yes, I can appreciate the (potential) problem.

Most people are not WISs and would not particularly notice or care about a SD (or Sub, or anything else similar).

BUT... some offices seem to be all about status and about comparison and, in places like that, watches matter. Until you know more about what it's like, I can appreciate that playing safe might be a better option to begin with.

In that case, a black dial/black bezel Smith Caribbean might actually be a good choice. Has a date, it's smart, but it's not overly showy, and it's not well known. Only drawback is that it's a bit tall.

Were in your position I might go for a PRS-10 on leather. Has a date, fits under a cuff, again looks smart but not showy.

P.S. Yes, I know watches other than Timefactors ones exist but we do have a good choice of watches 'locally'. ;-)
    Thanks, I'll have a look as I'm not particularly familiar with the brand at all.

Master
    Blog Entries
    There's almost limnitless choice at that end of the market, especially if you don;t mind quartz either.

I'd go for something different shape and style so you don;t feel that it's only wearable at work - tonneau shape.

Longines Evidenza fits the bill, around that budget and you can get a discount pretty easily

https://www.longines.com/en-gb/watch...ter_gender=253

Nomos. Pick your favourite. I’d get a used metro gangreserve datum if the budget would stretch (which it won’t at 1.5k, but not too far)

Craftsman
    For what it's worth, my job requires me to wear a suit in the office and the Speedmaster Pro is the second most commonly spotted watch around the place (no prizes for guessing the first!).

I used to wear a NOMOS Orion Datum around the office which worked quite nicely as a dress watch but you could wear it in a more casual setting. Junghans also make nice dress watches at around your budget. Stowa Antea if you're into the Bauhaus thing. Raymond Weil if not.

You're probably right to be looking at Longines though for a dress watch in that price range.

Master

Smartish watch for new job

This^

Edit There was a nice Orion Date on SC this morning

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I agree with the Longines Evidenza. Not showy but unusual enough to possibly attract attention without displaying extravagant frivolity
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Archimede appears to have some options with dates in this price range, like the Outdoor Protect 39 and Klassik 200. I have never owned one but online they look well made yet fairly low key for a new job.

Fair enough. :)

Some of the Longine Master series are in budget and some are very thin, at less than 10mm. Good luck with the search.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Scepticalist View Post

Longines Evidenza fits the bill, around that budget and you can get a discount pretty easily

https://www.longines.com/en-gb/watch...ter_gender=253
    I am liking this actually. Maybe I'll phone around some ADs and see if I can find one to try on at the weekend.

Master
    Daniel Jean-Richard paramount.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Assume used is ok?

Omega seamaster (300 or aqua terra)
    Zenith elite rainbow
    Breitling crosswind midsize

New I think Sinn, Nomos, Fortis or Longines would be my choices.

Maybe get an Apple Watch until you know your peers better then wear the SD.

Craftsman
    I've been trying not to buy this for the last few weeks:

https://www.tkmaxx.com/uk/en/men/acc...tch/p/76504619

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by boring_sandwich View Post
    I have to say that this is a very good idea. They are so ubiquitous now.

I'd be looking at a Quartz Aqua Terra. Smart and a little sporty.
    To be honest I'd personally just wear the SD but it's your choice.

This
    Or a simple cheap fashion watch until you know the lay of the land.
    Yes it’s nice to buy a new watch and any excuse is great but it might as well be a cheap one until you find one you really like.
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 24th November 2021 at 16:01.

Craftsman
    I should probably declare I'm actually also using it as an excuse to buy something new and a bit different. I have a Fitbit if i just need to know the time.

Master
    Is this a watch you will wear later on or will it just be left in a drawer?

Don’t see the point in spending 1.5k just for the sake of it. Speedie is perfect! Ok maybe no date but hardly an issue especially if you’ll be on a computer for work!

Blog Entries
    I should probably declare I'm actually also using it as an excuse to buy something new and a bit different.

Grand Seiko quartz will do the job nicely, particularly if it’s an older one with the Seiko logo.

Master
    I would wear a lorus for week one.
    Then, when you know your peers first names upgrade to a Seiko (not a Prospex).
    Once you're invited for a pint after work bump up to £500 range. Nothing says "please like me" like a hamilton.
    A1 year anniversary of your start, you're good for an omega, keep it under the cuff for the first few weeks though, reveal it gradually.
    5 year anniversary you can unload the Sea dweller. They've waited long enough, its a reward for them as much as you.

Ten years? Richard Mille.

Honestly, is this a real issue?? I'm a little bit annoyed this isn't in the bear pit so I can use the words I want to. Utter tripe. It's a f***ing watch. People will either totally ignore it (90%) or spot it and admire it. (The 10%). It has zero impact on your job, your position or anybodies opinion of you. Sweet Jesus.

Next thread... should I buy a new car for my new job - the BMW sends the wrong message, would you recommend a Prius?

Don't forget to downgrade your phone. Nokia 3210 to start, just In case they think you're a bit "uppity" with an iPhone

Craftsman
    Wrong side of the bed?

Quote Originally Posted by kevkojak View Post
    Once you're invited for a pint after work bump up to £500 range. Nothing says "please like me" like a hamilton.
    A1 year anniversary of your start, you're good for an omega, keep it under the cuff for the first few weeks though, reveal it gradually.
    5 year anniversary you can unload the Sea dweller. They've waited long enough, its a reward for them as much as you.

Honestly, is this a real issue?? I'm a little bit annoyed this isn't in the bear pit so I can use the words I want to. Utter tripe. It's a f***ing watch. People will either totally ignore it (90%) or spot it and admire it. (The 10%). It has zero impact on your job, your position or anybodies opinion of you. Sweet Jesus.

Next thread... should I buy a new car for my new job - the BMW sends the wrong message, would you recommend a Prius?

Don't forget to downgrade your phone. Nokia 3210 to start, just In case they think you're a bit "uppity" with an iPhone
    I should probably declare I'm actually also using it as an excuse to buy something new and a bit different. I have a Fitbit if i just need to know the time.

But what would you buy?

My BiL had to pick his car carefully when in post in Germany. While in a senior position, it was politely suggested he avoided the S Class or the C Class, as both would not reflect his position accurately enough.

Therefore I do not think it is as silly as it may appear, although the OP conceded it was also a good excuse for another timepiece.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Blog Entries
    Utter tripe.
    This sort of thing really should be utter tripe but I've visited offices (as a tech consultant) where these things really, really do matter.

In some places: It's an (unofficial, unspoken) Breitling club.

In other places: If you don't wear a Sub then you're not serious. Ramifications for job prospects. Not official; just subconscious.

In yet other places: Wearing a Rolex! Yes, we noticed. You are insulting us all, especially the boss. Don't out-watch the boss.

They sound like clichés but they are real. Doesn't happen everywhere of course. I think some industries are more affected by it than others, perhaps. And some 'teams' are more status-oriented or competitive than others.

Blog Entries
    Something a bit left field - the Chronoswiss Pacific ?

I've been trying mine on a recently arrived mesh from Geckota…

Also works well with leather ( in this case from Barton )...

z

I’m all for helping a fellow watch enthusiast seek out the next piece. Who here hasn’t used an excuse to buy something we know we are going to buy anyway?

I’d be looking at something uber thin that people will think is a quartz but which, in fact, is a mechanical piece. Something like my Christopher Ward C5 595 which not only slips under a cuff but slips under the space that would slip under my cuff with ease, with space to spare. That doesn’t have a date but something similar would be the Hamilton Jazzmaster Thinline Auto or the Junghans Meister Fein.

Nice Black Friday deal on this Junghans

https://www.jurawatches.co.uk/collec...200-01-jgh-061

Blog Entries
    ^^^ Oh, very nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    My BiL had to pick his car carefully when in post in Germany. While in a senior position, it was politely suggested he avoided the S Class or the C Class, as both would not reflect his position accurately enough.

Therefore I do not think it is as silly as it may appear, although the OP conceded it was also a good excuse for another timepiece.
    What did he go for in the end?

Master
    What a very strange world we live in - debating a £1500 watch purchase to avoid being stereotyped.
    Strap on whatever you want and to hell with what people think- surly that says more about them than you

Master
    Where what you think look's good or your wrist and you feel comfortable about wearing it.

Marginally over budget, but treat yourself!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by lewie View Post
    What a very strange world we live in - debating a £1500 watch purchase to avoid being stereotyped.
    Strap on whatever you want and to hell with what people think- surly that says more about them than you
    It's not about being stereotyped. It's a thread asking for suggestions for a watch that is a little less casual than what I would currently wear.

This sort of thing really should be utter tripe but I've visited offices (as a tech consultant) where these things really, really do matter.

In some places: It's an (unofficial, unspoken) Breitling club.

In other places: If you don't wear a Sub then you're not serious. Ramifications for job prospects. Not official; just subconscious.

In yet other places: Wearing a Rolex! Yes, we noticed. You are insulting us all, especially the boss. Don't out-watch the boss.

They sound like clichés but they are real. Doesn't happen everywhere of course. I think some industries are more affected by it than others, perhaps. And some 'teams' are more status-oriented or competitive than others.
    I certainly pissed a client off once - he was the FD of a company in the healthcare sector. After chasing an unpaid bill for longer than I was comfortable with I finally confronted him face to face about it. His response was "Maybe you should sell one of your watches"!