closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Budapest eating

Budapest eating

I am taking my wife to Budapest next year. Does anyone have any recommendations on eateries, restaurants and what to see.

Thanks

I wasn't a fan of the food there but loved the coffee. So many coffee shops, all of them great. The only place I managed to get decent food looks to be temporarily closed - HILDA Budapest https://goo.gl/maps/eUvxBH1becT6tisS6

Bring comfortable walking shoes. You'll need them.

The hotel Sunday brunches are a bit of an institution. Kempinski and Corinthia are the pick of the bunch, Hilton in the Castle district has the best views. Despite their prime locations I'd avoid the Marriott and Intercontinental which can be a bit of a bunfight.

Gozsdu udvar in the heart of the Jewish Quarter has a fair few reasonable places to eat and Vintage Garden just beyond on Dob u. is very pleasant. I've a soft spot for Koleves also nearby. Byblos for Lebanese and if you want expensive fine dining it's Zincenco or Uncensored.

Don't miss Memento Park for a taste of the monumental soviet statues that punctuated the city during the cold war. A trip on the Gyermekvasút (Children's Railway) is unique and also dates from the communist period. Parliament is worth a tour and a visit to one of the thermal baths if that is your thing.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

I worked there for a year, and will agree with everyone who’ll pile into this thread to recommend Gundel as the best restaurant in the city, but Paprika was always my favourite. Proper Hungarian nosh in unpretentious surroundings. Very popular, you’ll have to book.

The Terror House and the Holocaust Museum are both very sensitively presented and highly recommended.

The Hospital in the Rock is fascinating. There are several daily tours in English and they last about an hour. It's in the Castle District.

Things evolve so check out the excellent Funzine website before you go for up-to-date local information and tips. Copies of the magazine are readily available in hotels and restaurants.

http://www.funzine.hu/en

If live music is of interest, the A38 and Akvárium club are great venues. The latter is a good spot for a subterranean beer or light lunch whilst exploring the city.

Egészségére!
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

The only food place in Budapest I remember and can recommend: https://rosenstein.hu/

Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster73 View Post
    I worked there for a year, and will agree with everyone who’ll pile into this thread to recommend Gundel as the best restaurant in the city, but Paprika was always my favourite. Proper Hungarian nosh in unpretentious surroundings. Very popular, you’ll have to book.
    Another vote for Paprika - absolutely fabulous.

https://www.timeout.com/budapest/res...ts-in-budapest

I’d recommend the three day travel pass which get# you on the tram network . Besides it being an excellent way to get around, there are a couple of trams that travel up and down either side of the river with great views . There’s also a water bus that gets you on The Danube covered in the same ticket if I recall correctly..
    The baths are excellent, I’d suggest the outdoor one . I won’t try to spell it .
    Cross the Chain Bridge and take the funicular up to the castle, take the tour of the Parliament building . As previously mentioned, The Terror Museum is a must. There’s also a couple of decent watch shops in the same area.
    One thing I loved was the Opera House . I booked from home and ended up sharing a box with a couple of Canadians watching Madame Butterfly for less than Ł20 .You could also pick tickets up whilst there if it isn’t a major production.
    Hire one of the cars on Margrit Island and potter around there for a few hours if it’s nice .
    There are some fantastic coffee shops too where the cakes and sweets have to be seen to be believed.
    Drink Unicum, then spend a couple of hours wondering why you’ve drunk Unicum .

It’s a stunning city .

Used to live in Budapest, but haven't been there for more than a decade, so couldn't recommend any restaurants I'm afraid.
    But god if there's one thing i miss, it's the thermal baths. Since the entire country sits upon a large deposit of thermal water, baths are literally everywhere. One more amazing than another.
    If you haven't booked your hotel yet, it's more convenient to book one with a bath in house, but if not, you can get still get day tickets to visit one.
    There's this memory I can't get out of my head: Hotel Ramada (think it's called Aquaworld Resort Budapest now), middle of January, laying on a chaise lounge in the 40c hot water pool outside in the dark, while it's snowing..