closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Phishing?

Master

Phishing?

I received an email today stating that the sender was looking to buy a Hulk at an advantageous price and my name had been given as a referee for the seller.

The email showed a link, which included the forum name in the detail, to click to get more details.

Being a bit of a sceptic, as well as not knowing any member here personally, I was somewhat suspicious and, after checking Sales Corner for a correlating offer, have deleted the email without opening the link.

This may, of course, be perfectly legitimate but I was not prepared to take the risk.
    Last edited by JeremyO; 23rd November 2021 at 21:58.

A wise move, I think. Have you pm'd the member.

Master
    Just had another email from alexveet828@gmail.com requesting another reference re a Glashutte.

He asked me to confirm my last purchase from TopperRob.

I cannot find this member on the members list and have never bought from this person, may be being ultra cautious but again I have deleted the email.
    Last edited by JeremyO; 24th November 2021 at 14:03.

Blog Entries
    Most curious. Does sound like a phishing attempt.

If you get another one of these emails, I'd love to take a look at it. Could you by any chance forward it to me with complete header? I'll PM you with my email address.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    Most curious. Does sound like a phishing attempt.

If you get another one of these emails, I'd love to take a look at it. Could you by any chance forward it to me with complete header? I'll PM you with my email address.
    Yes, of course. I’m just wondering where whoever has done this has got my email address.

I haven’t emailed any members on here for years so I wonder if this site may have been hacked?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JeremyO View Post
    Yes, of course. I’m just wondering where whoever has done this has got my email address.

I haven’t emailed any members on here for years so I wonder if this site may have been hacked?
    That's a good question.

Offhand I can't see any public way to extract a user's email address from vBulletin or to initiate an email to you via the forum software.

It is also possible for address books to be lifted from infected computers, so potentially someone who has dealt with you via email has been compromised. Or your own computer could be compromised, perhaps.

Where else have you used the same email address? Where else have you used the same user name?

On the face of it this appears to be spearfishing so it could be a malicious actor putting two and two together.

Master
    I use this email all the time but just for normal domestic stuff such as buying things online but only to reputable companies soI’m at a loss here.

I use a fairly up to date desktop with the latest McAfee virus protection and all is well according to their report.

Blog Entries
    I guess it's in one of those frustrating categories of 'it could be anything' unless and until further information is available.