closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Quick Release Spring Bars

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

Quick Release Spring Bars

I have noticed that a lot of straps these days come with QR spring bars.
    What does the hive mind make of them?

I think they make strap changing much easier with a lower risk of marking the case but theres a part of me that thinks that they're not as safe/sturdy as standard due to the sheer ease of pinging them back to install.

Am I being a twitchy dillweed or do you lot have the same nagging suspicion?

I like them. On some heavier-duty straps it can be a pain in the arse getting a tool in to grab the bar, big potential for damage to the strap and scratches on the lug and as you said, QR bars negate both of those.

I have considered before the possibility of it getting snagged, but on what? I don't think there's enough purchase between my skin and the little knob to pull it back sufficiently to release, or at least only a very tiny chance.

Grand Master
    Intuitively I don’t like them because they’re solving a problem that IMO doesn’t need solving, but have to agree they make strap-changing easier. Despite my apprehension I can’t think of a good reason not to use them provided the springbar fits the case properly. If a strap is too narrow between the lugs it can slide sideways and if it grips the springbar it’ll could come out, that applies to normal springbars too.

They're very handy, though I do worry about the quality a little. The one's I have are fine and have yet to let me down, but "proper" springbars definitely feel more sturdy/stronger imo.

But yeah, much easier than faffing about with tools.

Master
    I've only really had straps with QR bars from the cheaper places like Watch Gecko and CNS and I must admit, Ive removed the QR bars immediately as they have looked and felt like such poor quality, I'm sure I could snap them with my fingers. Plus, the male end of the QR bars never seemed to be long or big enough (oooh er)

But, Haven't the high end manufacturers like Patek had QR straps for many a year and you would fully expect those straps to be of a good design and robustly made.

They're not for me. They always feel thin and weak, and the tips are pretty much always too small for the lug hole so there's loads of play.

I'll avoid them if possible or remove and replace before I fit a new strap.

I suppose it depends on what kind of watch you use them with. Most of mine are divers and sports watches and I don't want the worry of weak springbars. But with something smaller and dressier and only wearing out to dinner, I might not be so wary.

I can see why manufacturers are using them as it must have increased sales now anybody can change a watch strap.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Slevin Kelevra View Post
    I've only really had straps with QR bars from the cheaper places like Watch Gecko and CNS and I must admit, Ive removed the QR bars immediately as they have looked and felt like such poor quality, I'm sure I could snap them with my fingers. Plus, the male end of the QR bars never seemed to be long or big enough (oooh er)
    Yes, this is the feeling that I'm getting about them too. Useful but feeble.

I like them. The good thing is that you can actually fit slightly thicker quick release bars, so that is the perfect upgrade.

I have a good two dozen quick release straps and I've been wearing them for years now. I have never had an issue with them.
    Last edited by j111dja; 26th April 2023 at 16:56.

I have the quick release spring bars on my Panerai (it came with them) and never had an issue; I think they're excellent.

I've never felt a good quality one. Also the little hole that's needed for the lever can often be like an afterthought, poorly finished and the perfect place for a fabric strap to start fraying.

I have no direct experience to back up my deep distrust of them.
    It seems they do not deploy a particularly long section into the lug, and that the withdrawing tab could be relatively easily moved. thy also seem to wobble a tad if you manipulate the strap with them installed.
    However, I am a bit paranoid about springbar failure, and generally look for drilled lugs into which I can put shoulderless springbars.
    I have has a total of 3 perfectly normal springbars fail on me.

Blog Entries
    Come as standard on both my Patek. Considering the cost of the watches I can only assume they are fit for purpose. Added bonus - easy to swap straps as necessary. Martyn.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Come as standard on both my Patek. Considering the cost of the watches I can only assume they are fit for purpose. Added bonus - easy to swap straps as necessary. Martyn.
    Yes Martyn but those spring bars are made to be handed down to the next generation ;-)
    Im talking about the Primark Philpot QR bars you get in Gekota/Barton/Zuludiver etc

I like them and see no reason to mistrust them any more than any other kind of springbar - after-all, what's the chance you're going to accidentally unlatch a tiny stud that's held between your wrist and the underside of the strap?

As ever, quality matters - a quality strap (e.g. Hirsch) will have a quality springbar, indeed I keep a supply of spare Hirsch springbars to replace the bars in lesser straps with.

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    They're not for me. They always feel thin and weak, and the tips are pretty much always too small for the lug hole so there's loads of play.
    This problem is particularly acute with Seiko divers that require the 'fat' springbars. Other than that I have no problem with them.

I use nothing else but QR spring-bars, including on bracelets.

I have done for the last 2-3 years across 4 watches. Never had a single problem.

Would never go back to the faff of normal spring-bars, and the fact that I will scratch up my watch with my gammy dexterity.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by earlofsodbury View Post
    As ever, quality matters - a quality strap (e.g. Hirsch) will have a quality springbar, indeed I keep a supply of spare Hirsch springbars to replace the bars in lesser straps with.
    Ive just found and ordered some. Didnt know Hirsch sold bars! Every day's a school day.

I have had QRs on rubber straps I bought a year ago from Juelong on Aliexpress. Worked perfectly, but I am sure if you are using them on expensive watches, a more reputable brand may give you peace of mind.

Master
    I am very much on the QR bandwagon. The Watch Gecko ones are absolutely fine. I’ve also got some bulang and molequin straps with them and they are very sturdy.

I don’t think there’s much risk at all from them accidentally releasing. With the above brands, you need to give them each a reasonable straight pull backwards to release them.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggertech View Post
    This problem is particularly acute with Seiko divers that require the 'fat' springbars. Other than that I have no problem with them.
    I wear quick release silicone straps on all of Seiko Diver's including my mm300's and an even heavier SLA039.

https://www.watchgecko.com/products/...BoC814QAvD_BwE
    Last edited by j111dja; 26th April 2023 at 18:46.

Master
    I wore my little 34mm dia JLC Powermatic to Spain instead of a Rolex as a security measure. The JLC had a solid gold bracelet which screamed a bit, so I sold the bracelet as bullion and bought a Hirsch brown leather strap to tone the gold watch down. The strap came with quick release spring bars and they are great. They seem secure and I would expect them to eventually replace the old fashioned springs that are the cause of many scratched up watches. I could easily buy a black shiny leather strap and I could swap it in a minute or two if the wish so took me.

I welcome them.

Quote Originally Posted by j111dja View Post
    I wear quick release silicone straps on all of Seiko Diver's including my mm300's and an even heavier SLA039.

https://www.watchgecko.com/products/...BoC814QAvD_BwE
    Yes, they will work but you may be causing yourself long term problems. I believe the lug hole diameter in Seiko's that use fat springbars is about 1.2mm in diameter, and the tips of generic non fat springbars are 0.9-1.0mm. So non fat springbars, although perfectly secure will be loose in the lug holes and will fret, overtime causing the lug holes in your watch to enlarge.

I use them on a few watches, including my The Citizen AQ4060 and my Everest Honeycomb. I find them more convenient than the regular kind for strap changes, and sometimes you just feel like giving your watch a different look. When I order straps I prefer ones with QR bars, just less of a hassle to swap them out.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk

Yes, they will work but you may be causing yourself long term problems. I believe the lug hole diameter in Seiko's that use fat springbars is about 1.2mm in diameter, and the tips of generic non fat springbars are 0.9-1.0mm. So non fat springbars, although perfectly secure will be loose in the lug holes and will fret, overtime causing the lug holes in your watch to enlarge.
    As per my link, these have 1.1mm tips. They fit perfectly and they are nice and snug.
    Last edited by j111dja; 26th April 2023 at 19:00.

Quote Originally Posted by j111dja View Post
    As per my link, these have 1.1mm tips. They fit perfectly and they are nice and snug.
    Apologies, I just read your post and not the link.

Grand Master
    Yes, that can be a problem, but it’s usually caused by the springbar being a tight fit in the strap. I try to avoid this by fitting a slimmer springbar, especially if the case is gold. Brass springbars are better but they’re not available thesedays

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Yes, that can be a problem, but it’s usually caused by the springbar being a tight fit in the strap. I try to avoid this by fitting a slimmer springbar, especially if the case is gold. Brass springbars are better but they’re not available thesedays
    So if the bar is held rigidly in the strap every movement will cause stress between the mating surfaces of the pins and holes? Obvious now you say it, but I just hadn't thought of that.

Grand Master
    So if the bar is held rigidly in the strap every movement will cause stress between the mating surfaces of the pins and holes? Obvious now you say it, but I just hadn't thought of that.
    Devil's always in the detail, you eventually learn to think a certain way!

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Devil's always in the detail, you eventually learn to think a certain way!
    Probably too late for this old dog! ;)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa Hotel View Post
    I don't think there's enough purchase between my skin and the little knob to pull it back sufficiently to release, or at least only a very tiny chance.

Snigger