closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Pusher Seals

Hybrid View

Pusher Seals

Hi. A quick question. When refitting pushers with new seals (o rings), should one lubricate the seal before refitting the pusher into the case. A tiny bit of silicon grease perhaps or should they be left dry?
    Thanks in advance.

Blog Entries
    I've been waiting for someone more knowledgeable to answer you but no one else has so here is my reply: Yes, a tiny amount of silicon grease. I apply silicon grease to seals and gaskets using one of those pots with an impregnated sponge inside. It applies just a small surface coating.

Here's the caveat: I've only replaced pusher seals once. But it seemed to work fine.

I've replaced case back gaskets a lot more often, though.

Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    I've been waiting for someone more knowledgeable to answer you but no one else has so here is my reply: Yes, a tiny amount of silicon grease. I apply silicon grease to seals and gaskets using one of those pots with an impregnated sponge inside. It applies just a small surface coating.

Here's the caveat: I've only replaced pusher seals once. But it seemed to work fine.

I've replaced case back gaskets a lot more often, though.
    Thanks for replying! Yes, I always grease the caseback seals to stop them distorting when tightening. It would be serving a different purpose on the pusher seals. More for lubrication to prevent wear to the seal from the moving pusher. The seals are absulutely tiny though. Even smaller than the seal on the crown stem. Which brings me to another point. I believe the stem should have a tiny bit of oil on it where it goes into the movement. Should the stem seal also be lubricated. I have never done so in the past for my mods but then I havn't had them long enough to know if this has caused the seals to wear prematurely. My concern is that the grease will attract dirt and gunge and may have a negative impact. Perhaps I am looking too deeply into it and a tiny bit wont do any harm. I'll just try it and see.
    Thanks again.