closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Field jacket advice

Craftsman
    If we haven’t already got a ‘show us your field jacket’ thread, we should have. Some great jackets on here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here you go

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Leeds View Post
    I too have been looking for a new jacket.
    The Belstaff Techmaster looks good.
    Does anybody have one.
    No but I fancy one. Need to go have a look in store. The quality of the more modem belstaff garments does not align with the price though.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Middo View Post
    No but I fancy one. Need to go have a look in store. The quality of the more modem belstaff garments does not align with the price though.
    Thanks,
    Yes it's an expensive purchase.
    It's difficult to find a jacket that fits well and also looks stylish especially if you are an XL.
    The Woolrich jackets also look good, but like you say these jackets need to be seen in store.

Journeyman
    Thanks,
    Yes it's an expensive purchase.
    It's difficult to find a jacket that fits well and also looks stylish especially if you are an XL.
    The Woolrich jackets also look good, but like you say these jackets need to be seen in store.
    I tend to favour online stores that do free returns, buy one and try it on and return if it doesn’t fit or you don’t like.

Buying online you will have 14 days to return

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by bigup View Post
    I tend to favour online stores that do free returns, buy one and try it on and return if it doesn’t fit or you don’t like.

Buying online you will have 14 days to return
    Yes, it's not a bad idea.
    I'm still struggling to get my head around buying clothes online.
    As a fairly big bloke I can be anything from a large to a 2xl depending on fit.
    Some xl jackets can just be a tad too small when stretching out which is really annoying as the 2xl will then hang on me.
    Also, I don't go shopping very much so it's a bit of a treat to go for a browse.
    It's also annoying not finding something that you like and that fits.

Craftsman
    Checkout Manifattura Ceccarelli they have a non oily wax type finish . I have 2
    absolutely top class .

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Slight thread revival

Been looking into a field jacket and or a wax type jacket for the winter

Naturally did a forum search first, lots of decent suggestions

I ordered this jacket and arrived today:

https://forcesuniformandkit.co.uk/co...ore-tex-jacket

Great price, especially for Goretex but the jacket didn’t particularly suit me so sent it back. It’s more of an over jacket on me and really wanted a fitted type.
    I ordered one of these which has turned up today and it’s great value for £30, not a massive fan of the Austrian army crest on the shoulder but for me it has to be Goretex and this is a bargain.

Marius, these look like great value for harsh weather dog walks etc. How do you find the fit, is it fitted or more of an overcoat as bigup found? Was the sizing accurate?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mondie View Post
    Marius, these look like great value for harsh weather dog walks etc. How do you find the fit, is it fitted or more of an overcoat as bigup found? Was the sizing accurate?
    Im a 42” chest slim build and ordered the medium which is perfect for me, room for a thick jumper/fleece which you’d need on a cold day as the coat isn’t padded. Fits me much better than an Alpha Industries M65 I tried previously. The hood is also perfect me as often I find them too big despite having a large head.

Thanks Maris, I think I will have to give one of these a go.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Maris View Post
    I ordered one of these which has turned up today and it’s great value for £30, not a massive fan of the Austrian army crest on the shoulder but for me it has to be Goretex and this is a bargain.
    awesome! glad you liked it, goretex for £30 is insane!

Craftsman
    Just picked up a black peregrine Bexley for £66 in a sale. They also had a boulder or Baxter going cheap as well only in small though

Where from? At that price it’d be hard to say no.

Any idea how they fit compared to a Barbour duke?

Quote Originally Posted by neilF183 View Post
    Just picked up a black peregrine Bexley for £66 in a sale. They also had a boulder or Baxter going cheap as well only in small though

I picked one of these before Christmas prior to Christmas and I'm absolutely delighted with it.

https://grenfell.com/collections/cla...aundered-green

I had a notion that I wanted a jacket in ventile made for Farlows by, I believe, Chrysalis but these seem to have been unavailable for a few years. The detailing and quality is very impressive as is the fact that it was made in their factory in the East End of London. There is quite an interesting history to the cloth.

I suppose I should now start thinking about sending my Barbour in for a refurb - I'm slightly dreading it as there is probably as much jungle tape as there is waxed cotton. A replacement would likely be cheaper but I don't like the fact that the modern ones all have branding on them.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

How are you getting on with this jacket?

My lightweight Duke and single skin fjallraven aren't up to the weather at the minute. A little too cold

This looks nice though

The Bexley arrived just now.

This jacket wowed me more than then the frahm

Fits great. Feels good.

No idea how it compares to a Barbour though.

Pics

Rather excitedly awaiting the arrival of my 2nd hand Austrian army M65 gortex jacket...about 35 quids with postage...just need some rainy weather, could be awhile! Heck it might be the last rain coat I ever need to buy, what a bargain.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    Rather excitedly awaiting the arrival of my 2nd hand Austrian army M65 gortex jacket...about 35 quids with postage...just need some rainy weather, could be awhile! Heck it might be the last rain coat I ever need to buy, what a bargain.
    Sounds like a bargain! Do they come with some sort of liner or under jacket?

Quote Originally Posted by Eddiex View Post
    Sounds like a bargain! Do they come with some sort of liner or under jacket?
    I think this version is meant to be layered up for cold weather, generous cut I believe.., we don't really do a lot of cold weather in this corner of Spain...there is a 'mountain' version, designed for use as the name suggests which is lined and looks to be a bit longer at the back, certainly going to be too warm for use here I believe...though would make an excellent ski/ snow board jacket I reckon.
    Last edited by Passenger; 4th January 2023 at 16:05.

Craftsman
    I think this version is meant to be layered up for cold weather, generous cut I believe.., we don't really do a lot of cold weather in this corner of Spain...there is a 'mountain' version, designed for use as the name suggests which is lined and looks to be a bit longer at the back, certainly going to be too warm for use here I believe...though would make an excellent ski/ snow board jacket I reckon.
    Thanks for your reply!
    I guess any fleece would work but this looks like it would be a perfect partner for that jacket to keep warm.

https://www.goarmy.co.uk/products/au...YaArcyEALw_wcB
    Last edited by Eddiex; 4th January 2023 at 17:20.

Thanks for your reply!
    I guess any fleece would work but this looks like it would be a perfect partner for that jacket to keep warm.

Sure would be a good combo for proper cold days I think.

Journeyman
    Hawkwood Mercantile do some great stuff. Well worth a look if your after something a bit different, all made to order so can customise to your taste.
    http://hawkwoodmercantile.com/?fbcli...fXOIEa3ShCPpC0

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Thanks for your reply!

Only thing with windproof fleeces is they aren't that breathable so could get a bit sweaty

Sent from my moto g(7) plus using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by neilm_83 View Post
    Hawkwood Mercantile do some great stuff. Well worth a look if your after something a bit different, all made to order so can customise to your taste.
    http://hawkwoodmercantile.com/?fbcli...fXOIEa3ShCPpC0

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk
    If after something different from a field jacket maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by acg View Post
    How are you getting on with this jacket?

My lightweight Duke and single skin fjallraven aren't up to the weather at the minute. A little too cold

This looks nice though
    I've had mine for over 15 years, still going strong. Doesn't seem as easy to wax as a Barbour but I like that it flies under the radar brand wise. The Grand Seiko of waxed field jackets...

Sent from my SM-F936B using Tapatalk

Craftsman

Field jacket advice

Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    I picked one of these before Christmas prior to Christmas and I'm absolutely delighted with it.

https://grenfell.com/collections/cla...aundered-green

I had a notion that I wanted a jacket in ventile made for Farlows by, I believe, Chrysalis but these seem to have been unavailable for a few years. The detailing and quality is very impressive as is the fact that it was made in their factory in the East End of London. There is quite an interesting history to the cloth.

I suppose I should now start thinking about sending my Barbour in for a refurb - I'm slightly dreading it as there is probably as much jungle tape as there is waxed cotton. A replacement would likely be cheaper but I don't like the fact that the modern ones all have branding on them.
    This is where I first clocked Grenfell jackets and was taken by the shooter jacket. I looked into it and browsed the pictures on their website and Facebook and decided I had to have one in navy. It is a 28 day wait after placing the order as they make each jacket to order if bought via website. It has arrived and is absolutely gorgeous and exudes quality.

However, after one wear and removing the hang tags I have concluded I could really do with a smaller size. I bought size 38 but my skinny frame means 36 would fit me better.

So, if anyone here is tempted with the Grenfell shooter jacket, size 38 in navy for a decent discount and without the 28 day wait, let me know!

Link to stock photos :

https://photos.app.goo.gl/eby5cSqL65ccjeYp7

https://photos.app.goo.gl/eby5cSqL65ccjeYp7

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master

Field jacket advice

I too have been looking for a new jacket.
    The Belstaff Techmaster looks good.
    Does anybody have one.
    Ive got the techmaster great jacket but it really is just a shell youll need layers underneath -take a look at the terrain master

Master
    Surely the Belstaff field master is the go to in this category or a trialmaster/road master

Master

If it’s a summer style then the cp flat nylon 500 or si David tela 6 pocket are great options and if its good enough for Liam then good enough for me

Last edited by R0bertb00th; 10th February 2023 at 11:51.

Master
    Id also recommend the Holubar jackets and some great pricing on yoox at present

https://www.yoox.com/uk/men/shoponli...d%20jackets_mc

Quote Originally Posted by R0bertb00th View Post
    Surely the Belstaff field master is the go to in this category or a trialmaster/road master

Is that a photo of Sales Corner?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by R0bertb00th View Post
    Ive got the techmaster great jacket but it really is just a shell youll need layers underneath -take a look at the terrain master

Thanks, I may need a rethink although it's good for better weather.
    I was down at Fulham last night and it was bitterly cold.
    Maybe a Parker type jacket would be worth thinking about as I really felt it last night.

Quote Originally Posted by Possu View Post
    The model's hands look unharmed, but his head didn't make it!

Quote Originally Posted by pacifichrono View Post
    The model's hands look unharmed, but his head didn't make it!
    I’m sure you have seen more peculiar things happen in combat.

Master
    How are you finding it? I love mine, in fact it is pretty warm so I only wear it if the temp is < 5 degrees otherwise I get too hot! This is when walking the hounds so I am doing a bit of work...

Quote Originally Posted by SimonH View Post
    How are you finding it? I love mine, in fact it is pretty warm so I only wear it if the temp is < 5 degrees otherwise I get too hot! This is when walking the hounds so I am doing a bit of work...
    I'm very happy with it, plenty warm as you note, ideal beater, gardening...I use it for protection when picking oranges/grapefruits in the orchard because big bloody thorns, hikes etc....Liked it so much I got carried away and bought a Carinthia Dutch Army one new for ''best'', a more modern take on the design, no logo's or badges on the one I was sent so low key/ discreet... smart looking, very functionally designed, gore tex again, Carinthia so provenance, iirc was 200 euro...dare I say, it makes a mockery of some of these fashions inspired by military design brands that charge many times the price, for lesser functionality and performance...but you pays your money makes your choices and where would we be without the dedicated followers of fashion, less entertained certainly!
    Last edited by Passenger; 27th February 2024 at 10:17.

Blog Entries
    There's only one (Schimi Jacke...)

https://www.natoshop.de/parka/m65/se...anskijacke.htm
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Master
    I'm very happy with it, plenty warm as you note, ideal beater, gardening...I use it for protection when picking oranges/grapefruits in the orchard because big bloody thorns, hikes etc....Liked it so much I got carried away and bought a Carinthia Dutch Army one new for ''best'', a more modern take on the design, no logo's or badges on the one I was sent so low key/ discreet... smart looking, very functionally designed, gore tex again, Carinthia so provenance, iirc was 200 euro...dare I say, it makes a mockery of some of these fashions inspired by military design brands that charge many times the price, for lesser functionality and performance...but you pays your money makes your choices and where would we be without the dedicated followers of fashion, less entertained certainly!
    Glad to hear you like it, as you say, perfect beater jacket, not one to wear for a night out! But when dog walking, gardening etc. it's spot on