closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Omega Flightmasters?

Omega Flightmasters?

Hi,

When i first joined the forum quite a few flightmasters would pop up in various threads... I thought they were quite lovely... and a short run vintage pilot and space watch to boot...

I don't see so many these days - where did they all go?

Tim

They`re still out there, but difficult to see from 1500`.

Proper watches, i`ve been wearing mine all week.

They got replaced with Rolex submariners

They are fantastic watches, always love seeing them and would love to own one. Still see quite a few around here.

[EDIT] those pics above couldn't be more perfect!

They are hugely under rated watches. A speedy or sub of a similar age would be silly money. Since I have had mine I never wear my Speedmaster.
    Count down bezel, independent 24 hr hand, chronograph and on the 910 a day night indicator, what is not to like? It’s the ultimate pilots watch.
    I love mine,

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post

They are hugely under rated watches. A speedy or sub of a similar age would be silly money. Since I have had mine I never wear my Speedmaster.
    Count down bezel, independent 24 hr hand, chronograph and on the 910 a day night indicator, what is not to like? It’s the ultimate pilots watch.
    I love mine,
    Quick unrelated Q... if a watch is delivered to the NAAFI does it become issued at that point, or only when provided to an active serviceman/woman?

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Quick unrelated Q... if a watch is delivered to the NAAFI does it become issued at that point, or only when provided to an active serviceman/woman?
    Simply put it’s not an issued watch.
    This would have been a private purchase from the NAAFI. You could / can buy all sorts of things from the NAAFI usually at a discounted rate. Omega and Rolex used to use the NAAFI as a dealer like any other jewellers.
    A guy who works from me bought a 5513 from the NAAFI when he was serving. He wore it everyday but that too is not an issued watch
    A watch is only issued if it is part of a military contract and is issued out by the QM as a bit of kit you need to have to do your job. (Using Form G1098 or G1033 - hence the ‘CWC G10’)
    That’s said there are rumours of issued flightmasters and one source of them might have been a bulk purchase by the MOD from the NAAFI as they were available.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    Simply put it’s not an issued watch.
    This would have been a private purchase from the NAAFI. You could / can buy all sorts of things from the NAAFI usually at a discounted rate. Omega and Rolex used to use the NAAFI as a dealer like any other jewellers.
    A guy who works from me bought a 5513 from the NAAFI when he was serving. He wore it everyday but that too is not an issued watch
    A watch is only issued if it is part of a military contract and is issued out by the QM as a bit of kit you need to have to do your job. (Using Form G1098 or G1033 - hence the ‘CWC G10’)
    That’s said there are rumours of issued flightmasters and one source of them might have been a bulk purchase by the MOD from the NAAFI as they were available.
    Got you, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by E_2_Right-Force View Post
    They`re still out there, but difficult to see from 1500`.

Proper watches, i`ve been wearing mine all week.
    Just incredible! You have made my day :)

One here!

Quote Originally Posted by ed335d View Post
    One here!

Has that been brushed in a circular manner? See quite a few like that, obviously far easier than being done as it was originally.

Hello.

And inside view.

Cheers,
    Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Has that been brushed in a circular manner? See quite a few like that, obviously far easier than being done as it was originally.
    A quick bit of research seems to suggest that both circular and radial finishing were applied to this model:

https://omegaforums.net/threads/omeg...brushing.6049/

A quick bit of research seems to suggest that both circular and radial finishing were applied to this model:

Yes, that's right. Both look really good.

You learn something new every day
    I always though (incorrectly) that a circular grain on these mean it had been incorrectly refinished.

Thanks, didn't realise this (obviously)!

Grand Master
    A classic seventies design, can`t fault the quality, but it's never appealed to me. Too big, too chunky, but its certainly different.

Omega made a very wide range of watches at this time and that's what makes them interesting from a collector's standpoint.

These are definitely growing on me.

Though, I just can't quite get me head around the case design. I'm not sure whether I'd love it or hate it on the wrist.

The movement is a gem, though.

Occasionally look to see what's available but many haven't aged well - always loads for sale with 'tropical' dials which personally I would avoid.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ascalon View Post
    These are definitely growing on me.

Though, I just can't quite get me head around the case design. I'm not sure whether I'd love it or hate it on the wrist.

The movement is a gem, though.
    The case design is different for the two generations. The earlier 910 is a lower profile case with a slightly domed crystal, while the later 911 has a taller case and flat crystal. I prefer the 910 and feel that it wears much better. It’s still a chunky watch but has a lower profile that seems to be less of a lump on your wrist. Foolishly I sold mine a few years ago. I still have a pair of NOS tritium hands so that may be a good enough excuse to buy another one day.

Some age better than others...

Quote Originally Posted by TomGW View Post
    The case design is different for the two generations. The earlier 910 is a lower profile case with a slightly domed crystal, while the later 911 has a taller case and flat crystal. I prefer the 910 and feel that it wears much better. It’s still a chunky watch but has a lower profile that seems to be less of a lump on your wrist. Foolishly I sold mine a few years ago. I still have a pair of NOS tritium hands so that may be a good enough excuse to buy another one day.
    The profile is what makes the watch (IMO). Many other watches on the market if you’re not into the chunkiness.

Sent using Tapatalk. Excuse the lack of apostrophes.

There are few iconic Omega items that I adore and this FM is one of them (while I have nil feeling for speedy, sorry). I saw a FM in a flea market decade ago. The seller asked for around 2K but its condition was pretty undesirable to me especially the dial and hands. Thinking if it could not work as a daily watch and enjoy watching it, I would rather let go.

Just wonder why Omega not play another reissue game.

Just an observation re the condition of dial and hands:
    The later 911s generally seem to be in better condition / wear their age well when compared to the earlier 910s
    Is this due to the case being more substantial / better sealed on the 911s?
    Is it because the later dials and hands are better quality?
    Is it because there are more service parts found on 911s?
    Its likely a combination of all three I would guess.

There are a number of subtlety different 910 dial types but not as many for the 911. Which I guess make it easier to tell if service parts are used on a 910.
    One would think the case design was changed for a reason and Omega (and other makers) dials of this period are known to degrade / age poorly but it’s never consistent across a model. I guess the points noted above will have an impact.

The dial in mine is one of the better 910s I have seen and the hands are not too bad either. The bezel is not perfect though

All the cases pick up marks easily and mine is no different, I do prefer the radial brushing though. Lots have had their brushed finish removed over the years and they usually have a ‘soft’ case that has lost it’s crisp sharp edges.I must sort the bracelet for mine - lots of stretch as is to be expected really.
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 23rd November 2021 at 12:09.

Cheers all for the distinction between the 910 and 911 cases.

As a Mark II fan, I could easily see myself with a 910. I love the obscurity of it, as well as the fact that it is one of the most tailored tool watches until you get into the likes of the X-33/Z-33.

Damn, I'm going to have to trawl the classifieds now!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    I think that reference 145.013 is the 910, 145.026 is the 911 with sunburst finish and the later 145.036 has the concentric circles.
    Concentric finishing was introduced during 145.036 production, so this can have either finish.

Damn, this thread needs a like button all of its own!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    I think that reference 145.013 is the 910, 145.026 is the 911 with sunburst finish and the later 145.036 has the concentric circles.

I love the case design with hidden spring bars, which make them hug the wrist and wear a lot smaller than the initial appearance suggests. They flew in space on at least three missions, although not with Leonov. I rather like that flightmaster is on the dial with a lower case 'f' and always write it that way.

I have a 'tropical' flightmaster 910 with yellow cadmium chrono hands and and a flightmaster 911 with orange.

This 911 looks very like the one I used to own - must look out for another.
    I’ve been wearing my Speedmaster Mk4 these past few days and my love of older Omega chronos remains as strong as ever.
    Last edited by TomGW; 23rd November 2021 at 23:40.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    Hello.

And inside view.

Really Neil???
    You're Number 10 in the reply chain disappointed with the slow response expected you to be at least Number 1 and if taking the dog for a walk number 2 in the reply chain but 10??? Really?? Pick up your game!

Quote Originally Posted by jk103 View Post
    Really Neil???
    You're Number 10 in the reply chain disappointed with the slow response expected you to be at least Number 1 and if taking the dog for a walk number 2 in the reply chain but 10??? Really?? Pick up your game!

I must admit I have been slacking lately.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

While we’re on the subject….

I’ve got two bracelets, a 1162/172 and a ‘made in Mexico’ (Holzer?) one.

Given the date and delivery location, is it likely to have originally come with Mexican bracelet?

I was wearing my 911 just yesterday, it's a cracking thing.
    "A man of little significance"

I have this graphic showing some of the flight master 910 dial variations on my phone... i am afraid i don't recall the source...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by timc View Post
    I have this graphic showing some of the flight master 910 dial variations on my phone... i am afraid i don't recall the source...
    That’s from the flightmaster book it I recall correctly
    I must buy a copy one day
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 27th November 2021 at 12:03.

I had forgotten about the book.. one day.. but today i thought I would get this one out.
    Last edited by timc; 27th November 2021 at 12:04.

Cool watches for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Kenney View Post
    Some age better than others...

...I vote for the one on the right! The "Big Blue" has always been a favourite of mine. Tried a couple of flightmasters but did not speak to me as I have not affinity nor interest in flying, except as a passenger ;-)