closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Rolex Day Date 18k help with valuing it please?

Rolex Day Date 18k help with valuing it please?

Hi all, I have been offered a 2001 Day date, UK dealer sold from new and its just had a recent service with Rolex. I am really struggling to work out what its really worth and am keen not to end up overpaying for it. Can you give me any pointers please? I should mention that it also has box and papers etc. Finally is the white dial that common for this model, thanks in advance for taking the time to read this chaps.

I'm not going to chime in with an "expert" evaluation - because, like 99.9% of the members of this forum, I'm not an expert (I might be in the minority for actually accepting this!).

What I will do is suggest you look online on sites like chrono 24 and the various grey dealers (watchfinder etc) and you'll very quickly get an idea of what the asking price for that watch is.

On occasions like this, real world usually beats forum opinion.

Master
    It would be very helpful if you put what they are asking , the RSC Service is a big bonus along with one owner and full set is always nice and another big factor is condition of the bracelet regards stretch and full size with all links present .

Quote Originally Posted by marksh View Post
    It would be very helpful if you put what they are asking , the RSC Service is a big bonus along with one owner and full set is always nice and another big factor is condition of the bracelet regards stretch and full size with all links present .
    The chap wants 16.5k GBP and here is a bracelet shot that shows its condition if that helps?

>

Thats the thing with the older day dates, the bracelets are quite prone to stretch. The newer 40mm daydates have ceramic sleeves which help reduce wear on the pins to avoid bracelet stretch.

With regards to price, it’s hard to say with older watches. This being the chunky buckle version daydate does make it more pricey than the 18238 and 18038 which can be had for sub £15k.

Sorry that’s not much help to your question - Maybe eBay sold listings would give you a better idea?

The service is a big plus as that would have been circa £1000 just for that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    I don’t think it sounds out of the way tbh for a nice full set RSC Serviced one although I’m not clued up with DD but when you compare it to the modern gold stuff and indeed some of the SS Stuff they appear to be good value in comparison and that’ll be a 118238 double quick set from 2001 won’t it ?

Do some further research and wait for some more to chip in .

Quote Originally Posted by Stonewood View Post
    Thats the thing with the older day dates, the bracelets are quite prone to stretch. The newer 40mm daydates have ceramic sleeves which help reduce wear on the pins to avoid bracelet stretch.

With regards to price, it’s hard to say with older watches. This being the chunky buckle version daydate does make it more pricey than the 18238 and 18038 which can be had for sub £15k.

Sorry that’s not much help to your question - Maybe eBay sold listings would give you a better idea?

The service is a big plus as that would have been circa £1000 just for that.

Many thanks for the info, I had no idea a service was so much these days for this model? I must work out how to view eBay sold listings as well!

Quote Originally Posted by marksh View Post
    I don’t think it sounds out of the way tbh for a nice full set RSC Serviced one although I’m not clued up with DD but when you compare it to the modern gold stuff and indeed some of the SS Stuff they appear to be good value in comparison and that’ll be a 118238 double quick set from 2001 won’t it ?

Do some further research and wait for some more to chip in .
    Thanks marksh and yes it’s a 118238. I have struggled to find a similar private sale comparison one to judge the asking price against ?

Rolex Day Date 18k help with valuing it please?

Perhaps a bit cheeky, but put the details into Watchfinder’s website to see what they would offer to buy it for. A private sale would generally be slightly above trade.

Craftsman
    Looks like an earlier dial in that .

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kibrisjason View Post
    Many thanks for the info, I had no idea a service was so much these days for this model? I must work out how to view eBay sold listings as well!

How to view Ebay sold listings

Put in your search eg Rolex 1234
    Results come up
    To the right of the blue search button at the top of the screen it says “advanced” press that
    Your original search title will be there , but one large box down is
    Completed & Sold listings , click on Sold listings
    Et Voila

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Tomaitch View Post
    Really thats interesting, what makes you think that? I did take it to a Rolex dealer to verify and they had it a few days and I specifically asked that question and they said it was from factory with that dial.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    How to view Ebay sold listings

Put in your search eg Rolex 1234
    Results come up
    To the right of the blue search button at the top of the screen it says “advanced” press that
    Your original search title will be there , but one large box down is
    Completed & Sold listings , click on Sold listings
    Et Voila

Steve
    Thanks Steve I will check it out now that I have the knowledge.

[QUOTE=Halitosis;5876843]Perhaps a bit cheeky,

Great idea I just tried that and they emailed back saying they arent buying these at present due to over stock!

Craftsman
    [QUOTE=kibrisjason;5877989]Really thats interesting, what makes you think that? I did take it to a Rolex dealer to verify and they had it a few days and I specifically asked that question and they said it was from factory with that dial.

- - - Updated - - -

The newer model I think has the thicker Roman numerals .

Master
    One went through the watch collecting auction a few weeks ago (2006 model) for £14,500 after fees, looks slightly nicer than the one you posted.

https://www.watchcollecting.com/for-...lex-day-date-1

Not sure about that, but I can't see "Swiss Made" where one would expect to find it (unless it's my eyesight to blame).

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Not sure about that, but I can't see "Swiss Made" where one would expect to find it (unless it's my eyesight to blame).
    SWISS only 1803 dial.

Sent using Tapatalk. Excuse the lack of apostrophes.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Kenney View Post
    SWISS only 1803 dial.

Sent using Tapatalk. Excuse the lack of apostrophes.
    Err nope

Grand Master
    If you're going to buy one be prepared to spend what it takes to get a really good one, as a general rule the newer the better. Bracelet condition is absolutely paramount, look for a watch that's led a gentle life. Some will disagree, but I would never buy one without handling it first and inspecting it v. carefully.

People tend to treat Rolex watches as commodity items when valuing, I think that's a mistake but even more so with these; each one has to be judged and valued on its merits.

Rough ones look sad and tired, often the owner matches the watch!

If you can`t afford one of the best examples available don`t bother, that might sound harsh but it's true with these. Buying a mediocre one and trying to improve it is v. unwise, don't be taken in by the full set crap, it's all about the condition of the watch....and bracelet!

Err nope
    Ok now I am properly confused about the dial, can you explain what I need to look for on this dial?

For the time period of the early 00s it should usually have "Swiss Made" at the six o'clock position. The one you have shared pictures of has just "Swiss". I know that the term "Swiss" was used by Rolex on its SS sports watches produced in the late 90s. From memory this was to indicate the switch from tritium to luminova dials. "Swiss" can also (and perhaps confusingly) be used to indicate a modern service replacement dial. This watch has apparently had a recent visit to the RSC so it could be that the dial was replaced.....maybe the dealer wanted to make the watch more saleable by adding the white dial option? I guess there is more research for you to do, but IMO I would give this a pass. There are better examples out there and I think you should just bite the bullet and go for the newest one you can find. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Woody74 View Post
    For the time period of the early 00s it should usually have "Swiss Made" at the six o'clock position. The one you have shared pictures of has just "Swiss". I know that the term "Swiss" was used by Rolex on its SS sports watches produced in the late 90s. From memory this was to indicate the switch from tritium to luminova dials. "Swiss" can also (and perhaps confusingly) be used to indicate a modern service replacement dial. This watch has apparently had a recent visit to the RSC so it could be that the dial was replaced.....maybe the dealer wanted to make the watch more saleable by adding the white dial option? I guess there is more research for you to do, but IMO I would give this a pass. There are better examples out there and I think you should just bite the bullet and go for the newest one you can find. Good luck.
    Thanks for the advice, thats really helpful, i think i will pass on this one now i am better informed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    If you're going to buy one be prepared to spend what it takes to get a really good one, as a general rule the newer the better. Bracelet condition is absolutely paramount, look for a watch that's led a gentle life. Some will disagree, but I would never buy one without handling it first and inspecting it v. carefully.

People tend to treat Rolex watches as commodity items when valuing, I think that's a mistake but even more so with these; each one has to be judged and valued on its merits.

Rough ones look sad and tired, often the owner matches the watch!

If you can`t afford one of the best examples available don`t bother, that might sound harsh but it's true with these. Buying a mediocre one and trying to improve it is v. unwise, don't be taken in by the full set crap, it's all about the condition of the watch....and bracelet!
    Thanks for your input, i think I’m going to pass on this watch after all things considered.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Woody74 View Post
    Wouldn’t surprise me at all to see a sold in 2001 Day Date with a SWISS only Dial as let’s be right they were never big sellers back in the day and if some of the dials were still around they would be used ,what’s the Serial number / letter on this one ?

Like someone said could be service but I’d be surprised, also the link to other watch says no BP and dealer serviced but this one has full B&P and RSC Serviced must be £3-4K there ?

...i think I’m going to pass on this watch after all things considered.
    Watchfinder emailed back saying they arent buying these at present due to over stock!
    Well at least you now know its a buyers market and you can offer low when you do find one