closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Upsetting a dealer or grown men ?

Craftsman

Upsetting a dealer or grown men ?

Basically i dont want to.
    Sitting with the wife last night and viewing my new Rootbeer has led us to agree that some of the other models have been ' superseded ' now we have this .
    Basically they are rapidly becoming safe queens and if honest wont be worn much if at all.

So im in two minds on what to do without losing face with my local dealer . A large part of me says to go in, be honest and just say the above . Off the top of my head the watches are between 8 and 18 months old so they might well frown upon it .
    I'd be happy to sell them back but a feeling says they will offer retail , maybe even less ??

Ive done a search on here and get the feeling 2 years would be a sensible time to consider moving them on maybe ?

Advice welcome and gratefully received.
    Last edited by 2ptjoe; 20th November 2021 at 12:09.

Grand Master
    Is this the bit where people PM you to ask what you are selling
    RIAC

Have you tried Watchfinder? If you're not looking at getting another I certainly wouldn't be worried about upsetting dealer.

Master
    If you own the watches why should it be a problem if you want to sell them?
    I admit I don't take any notice of all the Rolex tomfoolery so maybe it's a silly question.

2 years is fine. AD will offer less than retail. Also do yourself a massive favour and don't sell them on here as the pitchfork brigade will simply ruin your thread.

Sell to Watchfinder or Subdial

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    Is this the bit where people PM you to ask what you are selling
    I've tried to word it so it doesnt come across as a sale ad.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    2 years is fine. AD will offer less than retail. Also do yourself a massive favour and don't sell them on here as the pitchfork brigade will simply ruin your thread.

Sell to Watchfinder or Subdial
    I read that the serial numbers are handed around and thats how dealers find out about people that sell quickly . I'm happy to sit and wait if the general feeling is 2 years .

Personally ld wait for the two years at a minimum.

The AD you bought from has a valuation tool online to give you an idea. You might want to go that way if it isnt too brutal.

If you really do want to sell earlier than two years try sell to a friend and offer them a bit under market value with the option to buy it back first if they do want to sell it one day.

This is why I have a Sub 40 and Sub 41. Way too scared to sell the Sub 40 and its sat in the bank for over a year untouched even though its three years old now.

Quote Originally Posted by 2ptjoe View Post
    I've tried to word it so it doesnt come across as a sale ad.

I read that the serial numbers are handed around and thats how dealers find out about people that sell quickly . I'm happy to sit and wait if the general feeling is 2 years .
    If you don't want them anymore just sell them through any channel.

"Upset a dealer" - give me strength!
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Craftsman
    Why does it matter if you upset the dealer?

You have the watch you love so surely wouldn't be buying any more in the future and more importantly they are now your property - you can do what you want with them.

If you're really concerned offer them to your dealer first but make sure you're aware of market value and dont leave money on the table just to avoid upsetting them.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post

Yeah, when I saw the thread title I thought it might be a fun thread where a dealer gets their comuppance! But no...
    Basically dealers are there to extract every penny they can from you by fair means or foul - you are just a walking wallet to them - and the OP is worried about upsetting one???

For those of you giving the OP grief upsetting a dealer = blacklisted from buying future models.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    For those of you giving the OP grief upsetting a dealer = blacklisted from buying future models.
    How terrifying.

OP has got a couple of nearly new Rolexes he admits he never wears, so why would you want some more?

This forum used to be for watch fanciers and now a large part of the membership seems to be Rolex speculators.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Craftsman
    As regards to upsetting my dealer , this is the same dealer that gave my wife a bunch of flowers when they knew she was poorly . And no im not a big spender either . Way off it.

I get on ok with them as people, not just a shop hence my question.

Please dont let this become one of ' those ' threads please as im still classed as new on here.

Craftsman
    How terrifying.

OP has got a couple of nearly new Rolexes he admits he never wears, so why would you want some more?

This forum used to be for watch fanciers and now a large part of the membership seems to be Rolex speculators.
    If i was a speculator then i would be keeping them.
    Its simply a case of i have been able to afford even better ones so time to let the others go.

If you don't want them anymore just sell them through any channel.

That is how the Rolex world is, i wouldnt give a rolex AD a single penny no matter what watch they had for sale

Master
    Blog Entries
    Your OP pretty much answered itself - keep them 2+ years, it's not like the resale prices will drop and cash in the bank isn't needed so win win. Btw I assume you are talking about the unobtainable models?
    Last edited by Suds; 18th November 2021 at 15:09.

As regards to upsetting my dealer , this is the same dealer that gave my wife a bunch of flowers when they knew she was poorly . And no im not a big spender either . Way off it.

Please dont let this become one of ' those ' threads please as im still classed as new on here.
    If you get on OK with them as people, then you should explain the situation to them. You don't have to sell to them, and they'll tell you how they feel about it; you'll then have the choice to go ahead regardless, or not, and no one will be upset.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

If i was a speculator then i would be keeping them.
    Its simply a case of i have been able to afford even better ones so time to let the others go.
    Yes, definitely go for the "better" ones - you may wear those.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master

Unless they heavily discounted the watches you've bought from them then they've made plenty of dough from you, it's their business to sell watches and your business what you do with them.
    The watches are now your property to do what you like with.

If you want another hard to get watch down the line then you might (but probably not) be pushed towards the bottom of the list. If by some miracle they spot their (sorry - YOUR!) watches for sale somewhere, and by some further long shot decide to contact you to give you a telling off, then just relay what you've already said - they supplied you with a grail watch, one that made all the others seem insignificant.
    They did their job. Maybe send them some flowers back, restoring the friendship balance to equal.

Thought this was a drugs post...

Sent through the ether by diddling with radio waves

Master
    Much as we may loathe it, there is an etiquette and 'rules' to selling on a Rolex bought at RRP from an AD, this is one of the reasons I won't touch the brand but that's besides the point. The OP wants to maintain what sounds like a decent relationship with his AD and is contemplating something that has, in the past, been known to ruin said relationships.

Personally if you really do have such a good relationship with the dealer then have a chat with them, explain your concerns and see what they say. If you really don't want to risk it, as others have said wait a couple of years or until it's out of warranty (that may be too long) and be careful who you sell it to - selling it for top dollar is probably the way to go, less chance it will reappear on the market as quickly as speculators will avoid it, giving you an extra buffer.

Personally I don't think I could wear the same watch for more than a week, usually a day or two so it'd never be an issue. I just like something different on my wrist all the time.

Just take the AD out to dinner and explain over candlelight that you can't see them anymore.

Your eye has been caught by a cheeky Bremont and as you're both adults you thought it best to be open about it.

Write some poetry in advance and recite it against a background of Spanish guitars in the hope that you can one day return and rekindle the relationship.

Im interested to know which AD confirmed you cant sell a watch for 2 years without upsetting them?

Yeah, a decision to be made, you just need to weigh up the pros and cons. I sign a statement to say I won't sell for several years, but no issue for me (I'm not a flipper). I'd personally list on SC first (comments easy to ignore), and then sell to WF after a few days.

Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    Yeah, a decision to be made, you just need to weigh up the pros and cons. I sign a statement to say I won't sell for several years, but no issue for me (I'm not a flipper). I'd personally list on SC first (comments easy to ignore), and then sell to WF after a few days.
    U wot m8?

Master
    Sitting with the wife last night and viewing my new Rootbeer has led us to agree that some of the other models have been ' superseded ' now we have this .
    Basically they are rapidly becoming safe queens and if honest wont be worn much if at all.

So im in two minds on what to do without losing face with my local dealer . A large part of me says to go in, be honest and just say the above . Off the top of my head the watches are between 8 and 18 months old so they might well frown upon it .
    I'd be happy to sell them back but a feeling says they will offer retail , maybe even less ??

Ive done a search on here and get the feeling 2 years would be a sensible time to consider moving them on maybe ?

While you are explaining to them your conundrum offer then a bj as well! Just to make sure you keep them as happy as they get!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master

Is this a legal document you sign?

Oh no, what will he do 🤣

See what happened to this thread? This is why you never sell a Rolex on SC.

Quote Originally Posted by kevkojak View Post
    Unless they heavily discounted the watches you've bought from them then they've made plenty of dough from you, it's their business to sell watches and your business what you do with them.
    The watches are now your property to do what you like with.

If you want another hard to get watch down the line then you might (but probably not) be pushed towards the bottom of the list. If by some miracle they spot their (sorry - YOUR!) watches for sale somewhere, and by some further long shot decide to contact you to give you a telling off, then just relay what you've already said - they supplied you with a grail watch, one that made all the others seem insignificant.
    They did their job. Maybe send them some flowers back, restoring the friendship balance to equal.
    Don’t contribute to a Rolex post talking sense…
    The OP must go in to the shop and ask them what he can do with his property as there is a slim chance he might (if they are feeling generous) be allowed to spend another large some of money with them at some point in the future.

All said in jest obviously
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 18th November 2021 at 17:31.

The OP asks a genuine question and the usual Rolex madness starts. Such a shame.

You sound like a decent person 2ptjoe, as does your AD. Your relationship with them sounds very much like the one I have with my own AD. Whether anyone likes it or not, selling on relatively quickly (<2 years) is frowned upon. So, if I was in your position, Id just have a chat to them and see what they say. At least you then know where you stand.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by NCC66 View Post
    The OP asks a genuine question and the usual Rolex madness starts. Such a shame.

You sound like a decent person 2ptjoe, as does your AD. Your relationship with them sounds very much like the one I have with my own AD. Whether anyone likes it or not, selling on relatively quickly (<2 years) is frowned upon. So, if I was in your position, Id just have a chat to them and see what they say. At least you then know where you stand.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I always find talk of my AD your AD strange, much like talking about a football team as if you actually play for them.

At the end of the day its a shop nothing more, nothing less.

I sign a statement to say I won't sell for several years
    WTAF?

Please tell me that's a joke. It's hard to know any more with a certain brand.

I guess you didnt get the memo saying the bubble is about to burst:-). Sell them before it does.
    Only reason not to sell would be if you were looking for more from the same dealer.
    Otherwise you dont owe dealer anything unless you have promised him not to sell before 2 years.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

If you dont need the money, keep them in the safe and have a change when wearing the Rootbeer all the time feels a bit samey.
    Youre not losing anything by keeping hold of them.

Master

You've answered your own question.

Its your property to dispose of as YOU choose; not your AD and certainly not Rolex!

Master
    Blog Entries
    2ptjoe its a forum where people voice their (often valid) opinions on a crazy world of rolex - too many people take offence from some posts imo - accept the info you like and pass on the rest - think of it as a very fortunate first world discussion

What has become of this place? To quote Archie, F*** me dead!

Im not a dealer but I will be upset if you dont sell them to me at half market value!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by adg31 View Post
    Its your property to dispose of as YOU choose; not your AD and certainly not Rolex!
    Absolutely. And likewise, new Rolex stock the AD gets his/her hands on is for them to allocate to whichever customers they choose.

I could well be wrong but I suspect a lot of the “it’s your watch just sell it” posters haven’t had, and won’t be getting any Sports Rolex models from any AD in the near future.

It’s all a bit of a game that you or may not wish to play, but if you’re not even on the field, your opinion is effectively worthless.
    Last edited by spuds; 18th November 2021 at 22:09.

Master
    Blog Entries
    If you really do want to sell earlier than two years try sell to a friend and offer them a bit under market value with the option to buy it back first if they do want to sell it one day.

This is why I have a Sub 40 and Sub 41. Way too scared to sell the Sub 40 and it’s sat in the bank for over a year untouched even though it’s three years old now.
    I’m in exactly the same boat. I don’t need all of my Roli and I’d be happy to slim things down, and would sell to someone I know so any warranty issues etc would go via me, but I wouldn’t charge my mates the same price I’d get from a grey dealer and if I sold to a grey I’d be concerned if the watch was taken for service or repair that I lose my new buying privileges.

I even offered to give my sub41 to my brother as a gift, but he’s got zero interest in watches and is happy using his phone. Nowt stranger than folk.

On the plus side it’s better to have the cash in the watches than in the bank at the moment!
    Last edited by pete-r; 18th November 2021 at 21:34.

Craftsman
    Personally ld wait for the two years at a minimum.

The AD you bought from has a valuation tool online to give you an idea. You might want to go that way if it isnt too brutal.

This is why I have a Sub 40 and Sub 41. Way too scared to sell the Sub 40 and its sat in the bank for over a year untouched even though its three years old now.
    Im in exactly the same boat. Incidentally I was having a chat with the manager at my local WoS the other day and he said that selling on a Rolex after two years is fair game from their perspective.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

What's the problem with holding onto them for a little while longer? I don't understand the OP's issue.

The answer is;
    Sell them
    Or
    Keep them
    Theyre yours, so its up to you.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by spuds View Post
    I could well be wrong but I suspect a lot of the its your watch just sell it posters havent had, and wont be getting any Sports Rolex models from any AD in the near future.

Its all a bit of a game that you or may not wish to play, but if youre not even on the field, your opinion is effectively worthless.
    I don't think it's a worthless opinion to suggest that there are many lovely hobbies, let alone watch brands, out there that will gladly let you sell on what you've brought without penalising you.

If you don't play the game you'll be much happier for it, but if you continue to play it, we'll continue to tell you how much better it is to just watch the madness ;)

Quote Originally Posted by superthrust View Post
    I don't think it's a worthless opinion to suggest that there are many lovely hobbies, let alone watch brands, out there that will gladly let you sell on what you've brought without penalising you.

If you don't play the game you'll be much happier for it, but if you continue to play it, we'll continue to tell you how much better it is to just watch the madness ;)
    Good point well made Sir, and in hindsight my use of the word ‘worthless’ was inappropriate (sorry!), perhaps I should’ve replaced that with ‘not quite as pertinent’….
    The only analogy I can think of is, it’s a bit like being a supporter watching the game on telly, rather than a player or manager directly involved on the field.

Upsetting a dealer .

Quote Originally Posted by spuds View Post
    I could well be wrong but I suspect a lot of the “it’s your watch just sell it” posters haven’t had, and won’t be getting any Sports Rolex models from any AD in the near future.

It’s all a bit of a game that you or may not wish to play, but if you’re not even on the field, your opinion is effectively worthless.
    I joyfully flogged the last of my Rolex to WF back in 2018 after lousy customer service from the Rolex UK Service Centre and just as the current insanity was taking hold.
    Shortly after I was offered a non-date Sub by a UK AD which I turned down in favour of an Omega Railmaster.
    If the game is buying watches that I dont want, in the vain hope that an AD will smile on me and give me the opportunity to buy a Rolex at full list price, they can respectfully stick the game where the sun doesnt shine.
    I genuinely dont like any of the current Rolex offering which is just fine with me as I am perfectly happy with Omega.
    As for my opinion - its worth just as much, or just as little, as anyone elses.

Last edited by adg31; 18th November 2021 at 23:41.

Quote Originally Posted by Ar.parask View Post
    While you are explaining to them your conundrum offer then a bj as well! Just to make sure you keep them as happy as they get!