closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Omega Seamaster 300 166.024

Apprentice

Omega Seamaster 300 166.024

Hi all, I came across this immaculate looking piece on WF the other day. I love this model and would eventually like to buy. However I seen the date was 1991 and I wasn’t sure if that line ran as long as the 90s? It could be a watchCo example but I’d thought I’d ask on here if anyone knew how long omega made these? Apologies if this has been asked before.

https://www.watchfinder.co.uk/Omega/...22/item/192156

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m pretty sure Omega stopped making them in the 1960/70s. Were Watchco even around in the early 1990s?

It looks like a new build from NOS parts. Ask them to verify but I bet they can’t/won’t.

Christ, I remember selling my actual 1960s version for about £2k.

The 300 has been on my wishlist for some time but not at that price. Is that what they go for or it Watchfinder just trying it out at that level?

If that was for sale on eBay it would be interesting to see what their watch authentication service makes of it.

Sent through the ether by diddling with radio waves

Master
    Blog Entries
    If it's that age it's not genuine.

The only way to be reaosnably sure you have a genuine vintage item is to have an Omega archive extract confirming that the movement number was allocated for that model of watch.

There are a LOT of examples that were made up from (at the time) readily available spare parts and a donor Omega movement from another model (these are generally known as "Watchco"). At the time they were good value - at that price, not at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    I’m pretty sure Omega stopped making them in the 1960/70s. Were Watchco even around in the early 1990s?

It looks like a new build from NOS parts. Ask them to verify but I bet they can’t/won’t.

Given that they're describing it as 40mm I suspect you're right.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Given that they're describing it as 40mm I suspect you're right.
    If WF use anything more accurate than a school ruler for something they can't find on Google I'd be surprised :)

Hi

It's not a ' T-Swiss ' dial for a start....

Best Neil

Master
    It is clearly a Watchco (though not necessarily one put together by that now defunct Aussie-Kiwi company). The really worrying thing is that if they are dating it from the serial number on the movement, that suggests the movement is not even remotely right for the case since they stopped making the 552 and 565 used on the original in the early 1970s.

Watchcos, (even those made elsewhere but still called that) at least use a period correct movement, if the WF piece hasn't even got that then they are just a fake or outright Franken*,

*there is a school of thought that suggests even a 'genuine' Watchco is just a Franken. Since it is made up of old and new parts you can see why.
    Last edited by Padders; 18th November 2021 at 14:45.

How much for a Frankenwatch??

Ridiculous.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Apprentice
    Thanks for the reply everyone. I did think that this was quite an odd listing and by the sounds of things I’ll be steering clear. This model is definitely on the list but I want the real thing not some mutant

Mine is a mutant - a ca. 1967 movement bought off eBay with genuine NOS case, dial and hands from Otto Frei and CousinsUK. Back in the day you could buy Omega parts from almost any watch supply house. I had it built about 10 years ago and the price was about $1800 including assembly and movement service by an Omega certified watchmaker. It's a fine watch and keeps good time but I wouldn't pay anywhere near their asking price.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    I sold mine for £500........ but it had had water ingress, but the dial and hands were still good. I was delighted to get that for it at the time

Coincidentally one has just come up for sale on eBay.

Interested to see what this goes for.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-E...-127635-2958-0

Sent through the ether by diddling with radio waves

Grand Master
    The original is a great watch, would love one but too rich for me. Many years ago, when travelling back from Waterloo, I sat next to someone wearing one. He explained that he'd had it from new, with all boxes/paperwork, but wanted to swap it for my modern SMP (2531.80, I think it was). I politely refused whilst explaining that his was worth a lot more than mine. One day, maybe, I'll get one ..
    /vince ..

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Saxon007 View Post
    Mine is a mutant - a ca. 1967 movement bought off eBay with genuine NOS case, dial and hands from Otto Frei and CousinsUK. Back in the day you could buy Omega parts from almost any watch supply house. I had it built about 10 years ago and the price was about $1800 including assembly and movement service by an Omega certified watchmaker. It's a fine watch and keeps good time but I wouldn't pay anywhere near their asking price.

This does look incredible