closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Opinions on Rolex Datejust 16234

Opinions on Rolex Datejust 16234

In negotiations to buy this datejust from a dealer. Its an X serial no box or papers. Original unpolished condition but due to age its definitely not mint.

What do you guys think of its condition? What is the going rate for one of these?

Sent from my SM-F926B using Tapatalk

I would image in todays market you would pay £4000 from a dealer for that model without B&P.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Whats he asking?

Hows the bracket for stretch and any documented service history?
    Last edited by ben4watches; 17th November 2021 at 18:55.
    Cheers,

Ben

..... for I have become the Jedi of flippers

" an extravagance is anything you buy that is of no earthly use to your wife "

Quote Originally Posted by ben4watches View Post
    Whats he asking?

Hows the bracket for stretch and any documented service history?
    Just a tad under £4K. No service history, no paperwork of any kind literally just the watch.

Forgot to ask about bracelet stretch. There is a 14 day returns policy though. He did say it was checked against the watch register.

Quote Originally Posted by zen123 View Post
    Just a tad under £4K. No service history, no paperwork of any kind literally just the watch.

Forgot to ask about bracelet stretch. There is a 14 day returns policy though. He did say it was checked against the watch register.

If the bracelet has minimal stretch then £4000 is a great price. It’s hard to find any 16234 below £5000 IME. Does he have another one I can have?!

Master
    Look at the twisted end-loops going into the 555 end-links.

Pass.

Master
    Last week I paid just over 5k for my excellent full set 16234 from a well known dealer. I actually thought that was a bit toppy but used DJ prices seem to be going up monthly.

Grand Master
    Really have to question whether these watches are worth paying so much for. I would look around for a far newer 116234 instead, or decide I didn’t really want an over-priced over-rated Rolex after all.

Bracelets can be refinished to look almost new but you can’t get away from the wear and tear (aka stretch) aspect. Lack of box and papers wouldn’t worry me provided the watch was a good example, but all too many have had a hard life and despite being serviced the movements will be worn.

Sorry, just can’t see the value in watches like this. I’ve owned a few Rolex models, at the end of the day they’re just another watch with a fairly plain case design.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I personally don’t like it. As Haywood mentions, the twisted links in the bracelet would need fixing if it weren’t to drive me mad. I’m sure there are much better examples out there.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Really have to question whether these watches are worth paying so much for. I would look around for a far newer 116234 instead, or decide I didn’t really want an over-priced over-rated Rolex after all.

Bracelets can be refinished to look almost new but you can’t get away from the wear and tear (aka stretch) aspect. Lack of box and papers wouldn’t worry me provided the watch was a good example, but all too many have had a hard life and despite being serviced the movements will be worn.

Sorry, just can’t see the value in watches like this. I’ve owned a few Rolex models, at the end of the day they’re just another watch with a fairly plain case design.
    You have a fair point about buying the 116234 instead due to its build quality, but I prefer the older case shape. The 116234 has those wider polished lugs that just don’t look right to me.

The five digit DateJusts are overpriced for what you get, but then so are all Rolex watches these days.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post

I prefer the older 5 digit case. Much more subdued and less shiny. I gave this one a pass though.

I'm off to Thailand next month on business so might take a look around there to see any bargains about

Quote Originally Posted by Haywood_Milton View Post
    Look at the twisted end-loops going into the 555 end-links.

Pass.
    This would be it for me. No idea here but I would take Haywood’s advice without question.

If Haywood says pass i would pass.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk