closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help me buy a knife

Help me buy a knife

Daily utility knife, recommendation please

Requirements:
    Folding knife for cutting stuff. It will live in my pocket.
    Thumb stud for one handed operation would be great.
    Doesn't have to be UK legal, I don't get stopped much in rural Cumbria.
    Doesn't need pouch, doesn't really need belt clip

My current one is 9cm long and has a 6cm blade so this feels like the right size +/- 10%
    It is locking, clip point and basic, but I like it.
    Here it is: https://heinnie.com/rough-rider-lockback-wooden-handle

What can you recommend me for similar ish size, but nicer? To replace the £14 Rough rider. I could go a bit bigger.

I'll donate the RR Lockback to the fundraiser once I'm bought, it owes me nothing.

Sub £75 ideally.

I know I should buy Spyderco or Benchmade, but really do I? And which one?

lionsteel or Brisa are good European brands.

you dont have to buy American ones.

Spyderco UKPK (any variant) ticks all the boxes, and within the law for routine EDC.

Master
    I've been really impressed with the Black Fox Bean Gen 2.

maseman

Spyderco dragonfly 2

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by raptor View Post
    Spyderco dragonfly 2
    Great little knives

Master
    Blog Entries
    Steel city cutlery are worth a look,A Wright knives are no nonsense working pocket knives.

How about:

I have the former and like it for its light weight, but I also like the look of the latter with its olive wood scales. Both are D2 steel, UK legal and slightly shorter in the blade than your current knife but I'm sure they will do a decent job. I did fit a thumb stud to my Luna but didn't like it.

Spyderco Urban, I had both that and a UKPK at one point and I found the Urban was a better size in the end. Sold the UKPK, still have the Urban. The Boker+ XS is supposed to be pretty good as well.
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

This is great, I will go away and look at all of these.
    I've also come across the Kershaw Emerson CQC 5K, anyone got/happy with one of these?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave E View Post
    Spyderco Urban, I had both that and a UKPK at one point and I found the Urban was a better size in the end. Sold the UKPK, still have the Urban. The Boker+ XS is supposed to be pretty good as well.
    Spyderco Urban is a great knife, I carry that far more than my UKPK.

I had a Boker XS briefly but returned it, it was far too aggressive looking for me to be comfortable carrying it outside of the house.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Something with a wharncliffe blade

My 10+year old spyderco urban Wharncliffe is my everyday knife and it's so ridiculously usable I would always choose the same shape if I needed to replace it. Maybe a spyderco dragonfly, delica or endura, I think there are a few others in Wharncliffe.

Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    How about:

I have the former and like it for its light weight, but I also like the look of the latter with its olive wood scales. Both are D2 steel, UK legal and slightly shorter in the blade than your current knife but I'm sure they will do a decent job. I did fit a thumb stud to my Luna but didn't like it.
    I have the latter and can only recommend for the price but it's not a one-hand opener.

Quote Originally Posted by The Doc View Post
    This is great, I will go away and look at all of these.
    I've also come across the Kershaw Emerson CQC 5K, anyone got/happy with one of these?
    I've never had it but looking at the specs, you should be good if you like the design. A bit on the heavy side, though, mind you.

From what Heinnie offers, apart from the recommended Spyderco you might want to have a look at Ontario RAT II series (might not win a beauty contest but the ergonomy is great) and Ka-Bar Dozier series (those may feel a bit less robust due to the FRN scales and the lack of steel liners, but unless you plan on any really heavy duty use, I wouldn't have any concerns).
    Last edited by rodia77; 18th November 2021 at 14:35. Reason: ergonomics > ergonomy

In the car I have a Swiss Victorinox Swiss Army 1 Alox - two handed single blade and about 3.9" closed or about 95 mm

Sometimes I'll carry my Spyderco Delica. About $85US

Both good quality. Spyderco is about 30 years old

DON

Master
    Blog Entries
    If you want to carry a lock knife then the Victorinox Sentinel One Hand is £25. I find the SAKs to take a sharp edge and pretty easy to sharpen.

I carry a Spyderco UKPK as I want a slip joint.

Blog Entries
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    I have that one and like the design and ergonomy, but I can't recommend it -- the rubbery coating with 'carbon fibre' pattern doesn't age well, will either peel off or get yucky-sticky and need removing. There's a 'titanium' version of the 327 I'd probably go with instead, but it also seems to use a misleading name (titanium in knives usually refers to the handle/scales material, while here it's about the coating, which I find quirky; that said, the titanium coating on the blade is alright).
    Last edited by rodia77; 18th November 2021 at 14:34.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by thenikjones View Post
    If you want to carry a lock knife then the Victorinox Sentinel One Hand is £25. I find the SAKs to take a sharp edge and pretty easy to sharpen.

I carry a Spyderco UKPK as I want a slip joint.
    Another vote for the UKPK. I've got a pretty large collection of pocket knives and the UKPKs are always the one I end up using the most. Unless I needed a lock knife for my job I would daily carry a UK legal slip.

I'm going with the Ontario RAT II

It locks, has a thumb button thing for one handed opening, is 72g which is perfect for me, is £43, and a reviewer on HH said "I genuinely don't understand how it's this good for so little cost"
    I was close to ordering the Kershaw Emmerson, but it did look too big, as someone said usefully.
    I know the Spyderco UKPK is awesome, but it doesn't lock, and just didn't light my fire.

Thank you all for the contributions.

If only Swann Morton did knives, I could tap them up for a loyalty bonus, seeing as I've probably used over 10,000 of their products over the years !!

^^^

Let us know if it delivers when you get it.

I quite like the quality of the RR knives and HH have recently started offering higher level RR knives as well.

Have you checked out the QSP range, particularly the Penguin? A lot of knife for the money.

I will also echo a previous comment about Lionsteel. Great knives though i suspect you'd have to find a second hand one if you need to stay in your budget.

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

I'm going with the Ontario RAT II

It locks, has a thumb button thing for one handed opening, is 72g which is perfect for me, is £43, and a reviewer on HH said "I genuinely don't understand how it's this good for so little cost"
    Me in 2014: "quite a few watch people seem to be into pocket knives. Bit weird..."
    Fast forward to today: "OMG I really need a decent knife!!!!"

I'm very tempted by the Ontario RAT 2 (but with D2 blade). May I ask where you are getting yours from?

I assume this is not UK carry legal as it's locking. That's not an issue to me as I'll only be using it in the house. Daft question but it's legal to own this in the house but not to be taken outdoors (unless for good reason or however the law states it)?

My vote is the Boker Plus Wasabi well under budget. Superb blade, the whole package is slim unobtrusive. Great edge retention. A super fidget knife too. You’ll smile and play with it more than you should.
    UK Legal too.
    Not offensive will slip into a shirt pocket as easy as suit trousers.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    I assume this is not UK carry legal as it's locking. That's not an issue to me as I'll only be using it in the house. Daft question but it's legal to own this in the house but not to be taken outdoors (unless for good reason or however the law states it)?
    Another daft question for me, if I may: If you'll only be using it in the house, why choose a folder? A neck knife or one you carry on your belt would be cheaper and stronger, all other things being equal.
    (Of course, I also have locking folders that I carry at home, why do you ask? )
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Me in 2014: "quite a few watch people seem to be into pocket knives. Bit weird..."
    Fast forward to today: "OMG I really need a decent knife!!!!"
    Im curious what people need these knives for? The main use for my pen knife is opening parcels what other tasks demand such knives?

Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    Im curious what people need these knives for? The main use for my pen knife is opening parcels what other tasks demand such knives?
    In fairness I don't 'need' a knife at all but thanks to youtubers like Nick Shabbazz I'm starting to appreciate them for their engineering and elegance. It's something of a rabbit hole in the same way that watches are. There may be other uses as yet undiscovered but for now I will be using it to open parcels and the like. I have absolutely no interest in taking it out of the house.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Another daft question for me, if I may: If you'll only be using it in the house, why choose a folder? A neck knife or one you carry on your belt would be cheaper and stronger, all other things being equal.
    (Of course, I also have locking folders that I carry at home, why do you ask? )
    See above. I like the folding mechanism. It's just boys toys really!

Forgot to ask, why is locking mechanism a problem for edc in the UK? What makes a locking pocket knife more potentially dangerous than a non locking pocket knife???

Forgot to ask, why is locking mechanism a problem for edc in the UK? What makes a locking pocket knife more potentially dangerous than a non locking pocket knife???
    A stupid* case law that equated a locking knife to a fixed blade.

*: the adjective may not be warranted, but I have always failed to understand why knives in this country are seen as weapons instead of the tools they are. Again, I shall lay the blame at least partially at the foot of the populist press.

A stupid* case law that equated a locking knife to a fixed blade.

*: the adjective may not be warranted, but I have always failed to understand why knives in this country are seen as weapons instead of the tools they are. Again, I shall lay the blame at least partially at the foot of the populist press.
    Thanks for the info. I'm not necessarily against the restrictions, just curious why the locking facility is the illegal bit.

Master
    Blog Entries
    In fairness I don't 'need' a knife at all but thanks to youtubers like Nick Shabbazz I'm starting to appreciate them for their engineering and elegance. It's something of a rabbit hole in the same way that watches are.
    There do seem to be some very nicely made, high quality items ... I can see the fascination they create ...

It's just boys toys really!
    Trouble is lots of the boys don't play very nicely and we have appalling levels of knife crime in the UK and the ready availability of knives that are clearly over specified for any legitimate domestic purpose only seems to fuel knife crime/culture; I suspect this will be an unpopular view but so is gun control in the USA ...

Craftsman
    Thanks for the info. I'm not necessarily against the restrictions, just curious why the locking facility is the illegal bit.
    without getting too macabre, I think it could be something to do with stabbing ability and the force required being less possible in a slip joint/non-lock knife?

There do seem to be some very nicely made, high quality items ... I can see the fascination they create ...

Trouble is lots of the boys don't play very nicely and we have appalling levels of knife crime in the UK and the ready availability of knives that are clearly over specified for any legitimate domestic purpose only seems to fuel knife crime/culture; I suspect this will be an unpopular view but so is gun control in the USA ...
    You make the same mistake that a certain press wants you to make: While it is unquestionable that knife crime is prevalent, over 95% (top of my head, cannot remember the exact stat and besides it may have changed in the last 2-3 years) comes from kitchen knives: They are cheap and readily available, as they can can be bought in any supermarket, or found in any kitchen drawer.

Those of us who like knives, whether because of the craftsmanship that goes in the making of the blade, the handle, the eventual locking mechanism, all those together or the overall functionality and/or aesthetics of the result... And not many of your would be knife wielding criminals are prepared to fork out the sort of money those knives command.
    Last edited by Saint-Just; 22nd November 2021 at 18:35. Reason: Bl**dy autocorrect

spyderco grasshopper. goes on a keyring, small enough to have everyday, awesome at opening boxes etc.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by daver777 View Post
    spyderco grasshopper. goes on a keyring, small enough to have everyday, awesome at opening boxes etc.
    Or even the Bug - great for opening boxes and always with me

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    While it is unquestionable that knife crime is prevalent, over 95% (top of my head, cannot remember the exact stat and besides it may have changed in the last 2-3 years) comes from kitchen knives:
    I'm sure a lot of domestic knife crime is with kitchen knives as it likely spur of the moment stuff but I'd expect a lot of street knife crime is using items similar to being discussed here.

It's not 'knife crime'. .... It's gang and drug crime.
    I guess that is the same logic the NRA apply to guns in the USA ... no such thing as bad guns just bad people ... maybe the solution to street knife crime is to encourage more youths to carry knives ...

I’ve been chewing over getting a nice ergonomic knife even if it’s for nothing more adventurous than opening parcels. Just never taken the plunge. Not certain why tbh

I'm sure a lot of domestic knife crime is with kitchen knives as it likely spur of the moment stuff but I'd expect a lot of street knife crime is using items similar to being discussed here.
    I'll be happy to be enlighten if you can back up your "expectation".

You make the same mistake that a certain press wants you to make: While it is unquestionable that knife crime is prevalent, over 95% (top of my head, cannot remember the exact stat and besides it may have changed in the last 2-3 years) comes from kitchen knives: They are cheap and readily available, as they can can be bought in any supermarket, or found in any kitchen drawer.

Those of us who like knives, where so because of the craftsmanship that goes in the making of the blade, the handle, the eventual locking mechanism, all those together or the overall functionality and/or aesthetics of the result... And not many of your would be knife wielding criminals are prepared to fork out the sort of money those knives command.
    This and then they can be dropped, disposed off without any regret or attachment, easily replaced from... well almost anywhere.

He's just trolling, as he did in this thread, and you're falling for it again.

Master
    Blog Entries
    And why would you even think "the solution to street knife crime is to encourage more youths to carry knives", when the opposite is obviously true.
    I was parodying some of the NRA style defence of gun laws in the USA ...

Only way to stop a bad guy with a gun ... is a good guy with a gun!!
    Last edited by Montello; 22nd November 2021 at 19:11.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Couple of my cycling buddies are Police inspectors and it was just an anecdotal comment based on some of their comments about the problems they see with knife crime.

I think in the UK we have solved a whole heap of problems compared with the USA through gun control; my personal view if that we should follow that model in an attempt to reduce knife crime.

https://youtu.be/UyCzZH_hFlA
    Last edited by Montello; 22nd November 2021 at 19:16.

Blog Entries
    I was parodying some of the NRA style defence of gun laws in the USA ...

Only way to stop a bad guy with a gun ... is a good guy with a gun!!
    I realise that, I just can't work out the relevance to what I posted.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I realise that, I just can't work out the relevance to what I posted.
    You were suggesting it is not knives that are the problem but the gangs/criminals that use them ... well if they didn't have them then they wouldn't have the ability to misuse them ... just as is the case in the UK with guns.

Blog Entries
    Couple of my cycling buddies are Police inspectors and it was just an anecdotal comment based on some of their comments about the problems they see with knife crime.

I think in the UK we have solved a whole heap of problems compared with the USA through gun control; my personal view if that we should follow that model in an attempt to reduce knife crime.

https://youtu.be/UyCzZH_hFlA
    You were suggesting it is not knives that are the problem but the gangs/criminals that use them ... well if they didn't have them then they wouldn't have the ability to misuse them ... just as is the case in the UK with guns.
    Given that it's already illegal to carry a knife in public, unless it is a folding knife with a cutting edge less than 3 inches, how do you think more control should happen? A total ban on knives perhaps, including kitchen knives? And if they can't stop them carrying them now how will they in the future?

Blog Entries
    And after you ban knives, they start using screwdrivers to stab each other. So you ban screwdrivers?

The criminal using a knife for criminal purposes is already breaking the law. Changing the law on knives won't change anything when it comes to crime. Just make life more difficult for law abiding decent people.

Your average gangster isn't carrying a Swiss army knife or even a bushcraft knife.

Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    I’ve been chewing over getting a nice ergonomic knife even if it’s for nothing more adventurous than opening parcels. Just never taken the plunge. Not certain why tbh
    Start with the Rough Rider stuff (your choice) on HeinnieHaynes.

Brilliant value for money and a taste of the potential market.

https://heinnie.com/search-result/?s...dv=Rough+rider

Master
    Blog Entries

Anyway, the thread has wandered so I'll leave it at that.
    Agreed. FWIW I carry a pen knife daily.

Craftsman
    Start with the Rough Rider stuff (your choice) on HeinnieHaynes.

Brilliant value for money and a taste of the potential market.

https://heinnie.com/search-result/?s...dv=Rough+rider
    Just a warning though, these can be a gateway drug to Great Eastern or Tidioute cutlery!

Help me buy a knife

Quote Originally Posted by rodia77 View Post
    He's just trolling, as he did in this thread, and you're falling for it again.
    I know, thank you. but he is representative of a misinformed public who cannot stop from shouting *Think of the children!* every time he sees a mere SAK.

His concept of camping -especially wild camping- is different from mine and that was fine. Here I believe he is clearly misinformed. Whether it is deliberate (aka trolling) or not is a different matter, but it is worth challenging if only for those who do not know and would like to.