closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: TV opinion please - 50 to 60in on a budget

TV opinion please - 50 to 60in on a budget

Hi folks,
    I'm on the lookout for a new main TV but don't have a lot of cash to spend (prob £500-£600 max)...as for size 50 - 60 inch is the sweet spot and looking at Richer sounds there are the usual offerings from LG and Samsung...I've had a number of Panasonics in the past and they've been ok but not the best for reliability...maybe I've just been unlucky. Anyway, thought I'd ask you good knowledgeable folk for your opinions and experiences with the big brands....cheers in advance !

What about a Philips?

Bought a Ambilight a couple of years ago and ended up replacing all the others in the house.

So immersive, can really notice it on non-ambilight TVs now.

We have a 55in JVC Fire TV on the living room wall, think it was only £350.

Good quality and a relatively slim profile, all the benefits of a Smart TV but with the added ability to add your own apps too (if that’s your thing)

Craftsman
    I bought two TVs from this eBay seller in the last year, a 55" and a 75", both Samsungs.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/TVs/11071...t-returns.shop

They were described as C grade refurbished but both came completely immaculate and boxed (bar one missing stand, which was detailed in the listing).

Obviously you may not be as lucky, but I was very impressed with what I got for the price (approximately half what they should have been).

Our TV is a 37" Panasonic Plasma and the wife still grumbles it's too big!

It is a lovely picture, though, so I'm happy to let all sorts of technological advances come and go and just replace it with something (presumably bigger - 37" is a portable these days!) when it finally gives up the ghost.

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

I have not bought a tv very recently but the Toshiba I bought at the time was great vfm. I have had two Toshibas and they have always been good for not crazy money. Good luck.

I got a Sony a few years ago and have been very impressed with the picture. I got mine from JL, they had a returns section which was heavily reduced and its was brand new in the box.

Hisense always get good reviews and are cheaper than main stream brands.

55" LG 4K IPS smart TV are the best when on sale in that price range.

I find IPS better than what Samsung give you in that price range, maybe their QLED stuff is better these days though but i hear they dont give you a good version of it unless you buy the higher end models.

Master
    LG and Samsung price fix so if you go that route suggest you look at the bundled extras like extended guarantee from JL or the free sound bar from Richer sounds, etc.

Some will not advertise the deals so worth a call.

Also, Black Friday sales are starting. , albeit the LG Samsung offers are so far non- existent.

With large screen there is a trade off with quality so 65inch low res is not as good as 42 inch of high res. Worth a wonder around a Curry’s to compare them.

Master
    Samsung UE43TU7100 reviews well here and there is a 55” version

https://www.whathifi.com/best-buys/tvs/best-samsung-tvs

I got a Samsung 50RU7100 last year for £350 well pleased with it. Make sure you buy from Richer sounds or John Lewis for the extra warranty

Master
    Have a look on AVforums, there's loads of info on what to buy for your price range. These people are as big a nerd about TV's as we are about watches😁

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post

It is a lovely picture, though, so I'm happy to let all sorts of technological advances come and go and just replace it with something (presumably bigger - 37" is a portable these days!) when it finally gives up the ghost.

M
    Stick with it, ours is 10 years old and used by our son for gaming and works perfectly. The 55in OLED we replaced it with is covered in screen burn after less than 4 years!

Cheers
    Rory

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LG but I think you may struggle with your budget for OLED, you’d have a pick of 4K ultra or nano but not OLED.
    Last edited by Franky Four Fingers; 17th November 2021 at 19:37.

Smile

OP, like you I've had several Panasonic's over the last few years, the last just made it out of warranty before expiring, and Panasonic would not entertain any form of recourse even as it was so little outside the warranty period.

Lesson learnt.

My budget was also limited and after a few replies to my request for help on here I opted for this one from Richer Sounds.

Samsung 50 Inch QE50Q60T Smart 4K UHD HDR QLED TV.

At the time I paid a smidge over £500 plus they threw a couple of new leads in, 6 year warranty and free delivery.
    I must say that I am very happy with the TV, the picture is fantastic, well to my 70 year old eyes it is.
    If I have one gripe it's the remote control, it's very small in comparison to my old Panasonic, but works very well.

Good luck treading through the minefield

Brian.

Hi everyone, very much appreciate all of the replies..a lot of food for thought...I'll do some more digging and look at Richer Sounds & JL...hopefully some decent black Friday deals on their way too ! Cheers

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post

M
    We inherited several TVs when we bought our house and two are large plasmas - the best picture of any of ours, new or old.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

The last time I bought a new TV - 2 years ago I was in the £500-700 budget and read up lots on AVForum and some other places but actually going to Richer Sounds and explaining what and how I watch - so Sky HD mainly, some netflix HD, lots of fast moving sport but no need for gaming and the salesman put some HD sport on all the TVs, in non demo mode, at the same time and just asked what picture I liked best. For me the well reviewed HiSense was not great with movement, looked a bit weird and the Sony looked better to me than the Panasonic or LG. If you can get to a store and actually have a look its well worth it.

However I was in John Lewis recently looking at OLED and another customer - late 60s was asking about two LG OLED and the LG badged rep was showing how good the picture was with a USB stored 8k file which unsurprisingly looked great but at no time did he mention that nothing is broadcast to that standard which a bit of a nasty trick.

I always try to buy a customer return, open box or refurbished clearance item at big discount - never been disappointed and usually brand new with nothing more than a slightly damaged box

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Madness View Post
    The last time I bought a new TV - 2 years ago I was in the £500-700 budget and read up lots on AVForum and some other places but actually going to Richer Sounds and explaining what and how I watch - so Sky HD mainly, some netflix HD, lots of fast moving sport but no need for gaming and the salesman put some HD sport on all the TVs, in non demo mode, at the same time and just asked what picture I liked best. For me the well reviewed HiSense was not great with movement, looked a bit weird and the Sony looked better to me than the Panasonic or LG. If you can get to a store and actually have a look its well worth it.

However I was in John Lewis recently looking at OLED and another customer - late 60s was asking about two LG OLED and the LG badged rep was showing how good the picture was with a USB stored 8k file which unsurprisingly looked great but at no time did he mention that nothing is broadcast to that standard which a bit of a nasty trick.
    That's solid advice. Reviews are helpful to a point but you need to see what looks best to you based on your viewing habits.
    A lot of the OLED Vs LED requires viewing high source material in a darkened room to get the maximum out of it.
    I'm sure there are plenty of film buffs who do this but I'd wager the majority don't view in this way. I think sometimes people end up over spending on a TV for their particular requirements simply because they must have the "best" rather than just looking at a few and comparing them

Sent from my moto g(7) plus using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by JonRA View Post
    We inherited several TVs when we bought our house and two are large plasmas - the best picture of any of ours, new or old.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
    Plasma's so give great picture quality but also consume a lot of power compared to new modern sets.
    I also would recommend Samsung for the current crop of TVs. You don't need Oled as the black's on a good Samsung are just about there.
    My opinions based on picture competency courses with various manufacturers including B&O and Phillips.

Master
    Hisense qled screens are highly rated for low budget costs: £450 for 50" and £500 for 55".

Last month eBay seller ao were doing a 15% off deal, bringing the 50" down to £390.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Blog Entries
    I was going to make a recommendation but realised it's made in Chy-na. Have forsworn to eschew anything made in Chy-na (as much as is possible these days) although I will continue to consume their food, just as long as the ingredients are not sourced in Chy-na. That said, I might consider something from HK because they are resisting Chy-na... Sorry, absolutely not helping am I.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Suds View Post
    I was going to make a recommendation but realised it's made in Chy-na. Have forsworn to eschew anything made in Chy-na (as much as is possible these days) although I will continue to consume their food, just as long as the ingredients are not sourced in Chy-na. That said, I might consider something from HK because they are resisting Chy-na... Sorry, absolutely not helping am I.
    Why "Chy-na"?

And I think the day that one can realistically or practicably avoid Chinese (or Chy-nese?) goods is long gone.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    Why "Chy-na"?

And I think the day that one can realistically or practicably avoid Chinese (or Chy-nese?) goods is long gone.
    Chy-na? Just a Trumpian play.

'long gone' actually no Mark, there are alternative countries of origin for many goods - avoid anything originating in mainland China wherever possible is my personal viewpoint.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Just love my Sony Bravia OLED with the new acoustic screen technology, best sound from a TV I have ever heard