closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Any Ioniq 5 Owners

Craftsman

Any Ioniq 5 Owners

Just wondered if anyone has bought and received a Hyundai Ioniq 5? I've ordered one myself and have had a couple of hours test drive but interested to hear any any real world ownership experience.

Not an owner. However I think it’s the best looking EV on the market. Really interested to hear how you get on.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Next door neighbour took delivery 2 weeks ago. He likes it a lot, he has mentioned a very active ioniq forum you should check out. He did say the door handles were a pain and take some getting used to. Looked very nice to my eyes, great looking car with some lovely detail touches.

Craftsman
    Thanks, it was the striking looks that attracted me to it over the competitors, it kind of reminds me of the Lancia Delta integrale! We've actually gone all in on EVs with my Wife also ordering an ID.3 as a company car so slightly nervous of not having a ICE car anymore but we both work from home so just do a 7 mile round school run and once or twice a week do a 70 mile round trip to our respective offices.

I tried both the Ioniq 5 and the Kia EV6
    Both were good, though different spec.
    The EV6 was the higher spec vehicle, that aside, I did prefer the layout and the colour of the dash more than the Ioniq.
    Both vehicles I consider to be hatchbacks, but very surprisingly didn't have a rear wiper. And on the days that I road tested them, it was heavy rain. And the rear screen did remain obscured with both water and dirt. Which, for me was a big negative.
    The headlights on the Ioniq were very neat.

Test drove the Ioniq 5 in Ultimate Spec. Love love love it. I'm a tech geek anyway and it really appealed to me. The Heads Up Display execution was incredible.

It isn't as sporty to drive as a Tesla Model 3 but is considerably roomier and feels nicer made inside. The passenger seat also reclined almost fully flat. Really nice car.

Reason I went for Tesla was A Superchargers and B lead time was much faster with the Tesla.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Test drove the Ioniq 5 in Ultimate Spec. Love love love it. I'm a tech geek anyway and it really appealed to me. The Heads Up Display execution was incredible.

It isn't as sporty to drive as a Tesla Model 3 but is considerably roomier and feels nicer made inside. The passenger seat also reclined almost fully flat. Really nice car.

Reason I went for Tesla was A Superchargers and B lead time was much faster with the Tesla.
    Thanks Ryan,

I'm in a similar boat, would have gone for the Tesla I think (although I do struggle with Elon) had I not needed to put dogs and bikes in the boot on a regular basis. I very, very rarely need to drive anywhere where I'd need to charge on the road and I have access to a ICE car if I ever needed to. I'm also 30 odd miles away from my nearest Supercharger so would be different if there was one round the corner.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Topcat30093 View Post
    The EV6 was the higher spec vehicle, that aside, I did prefer the layout and the colour of the dash more than the Ioniq.
    Both vehicles I consider to be hatchbacks, but very surprisingly didn't have a rear wiper. And on the days that I road tested them, it was heavy rain. And the rear screen did remain obscured with both water and dirt. Which, for me was a big negative.
    Not an Ioniq 5 owner but an Ioniq plug in owner here. Layout , practicality ( for lugging bikes and moving house) and reliability have been first class. But I echo the comments re no rear wash wipe. The rear window gets really fouled up, so I carry a bottle of water in a squeezy bottle and a cloth. In winter I have to manually clean the rear window ( both windows upper and lower) and reversing camera every other day.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Topcat30093 View Post
    I thought the same, it was a nice day when I test drove and the rear screen was annoyingly grimy. I think I'll give rain x or similar a try when it arrives. The Ioniq 5 has really interesting dimensions, it looks like a hatchback but feels the size of an SUV. I'm sure I read somewhere it has the same wheelbase (albeit smaller overhangs) as a full size Range Rover.

Master

Any Ioniq 5 Owners

Reading the above can I offer another perspective.

Firstly the car is only available in a set number of configurations so you cannot choose options. Options such as the sunroof shown on the videos are not available in the U.K.

To get features shown on the reviews Such as moving the central arm rest backwards you must order the top end spec named Ultimate. If you don’t move the central arm rest back your knee will be again some tough plastic which I found irritating.

The interior is very basic, again you must choose the ultimate spec if you want your elbow to rest on a comfy arm rest on the door.

By default the electronics inside are like a £29 Alba karaoke machine that you get in the Argos sale with flashing bleeping stuff and crappy graphics. The sat nav references a remote server not a local map so is slow to download routes.

I’m told the bing bing bing bong can be switched off. I don’t need the car to tell me the car in front has moved.

The biggest draw back for me is the display. I wear glasses for using my computer at home and work. When driving this I needed my glasses to see the displays that had a range of 2ft away ( behind the wheel) to 3.5ft away ( the centre). If I wore glasses my distance vision is out. This isn’t something I anticipated and I don’t get this problem with my current car.

In summary, No.

I was told by the dealer the KIA EV6 is worth trying and it has less gimmicky bing bing bing features.
    Last edited by joe narvey; 20th November 2021 at 19:36.

Master
    Mines on order for Feb. AWD Utimate with Eco / heat pump.

Seen a few on the road now and still love the look of them. Model Y was about 150 per month more for me on my company scheme for less spec, albeit with longer range and better efficiency.

Looking forward to next year. Just sorting out my home charger pre Xmas all being well

Craftsman
    Got mine at the start of January after dropping on one in stock and canceling my factory order. I've really enjoyed the first 700 miles. There are certain things I miss about my old ICE car but it's a way more refined and relaxing way of driving and it's a real head turner. Every time I've parked it in a car park someone has come over to ask about it.