closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Sky Glass

Sky Glass

Has anyone tried out the new sky glass? My account is out of contact and looking to reduce the crazy amount we pay sky. Without the TV can save around £40 a month or with the small TV will save around £20 a month from what we currently pay. It seems a decent set up, the TV's in the sky store looked a decent quality, albeit a little wide. But the wife likes the idea of no cables, it would be for our bedroom and then use a puck for the main TV downstairs.

The TV seems reasonably priced but the its prob not the best quality.

Anyone used the system?

Not sure I like that you cant save anything, and everything just streams.

I don't really see why you'd buy sky glass over just subscribing to NowTV....but i'm maybe missing something. It's not like it's a huge amount of cables.

My mate tried it for all of 5 hours before packing it up and sending it back,
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

They don't get good reviews for quality

I think they will be a failed experiment in a couple of years. There just won't be enough people giving up their existing TV to get a sky TV when you could just use the now TV app and get the same or better experience.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    To rapidly get the subscribing masses on board, the ‘Sky Glass’ needed to be a really exceptional product, predictably the Sky beancounters have ensured that this product is far from exceptional technically, that is why Sky will not succeed with this current offering and it is a great opportunity missed.

Thanks for the comments, will just renew the sky Q contact at the lower cost and avoid the sky glass

Quote Originally Posted by NikGixer750 View Post
    Thanks for the comments, will just renew the sky Q contact at the lower cost and avoid the sky glass
    Or, bin it off. If you haven't got smart TVs, Get a Chromecast with Google TV and subscribe to now TV when you need it.

Quote Originally Posted by r.dawson View Post
    Or, bin it off. If you haven't got smart TVs, Get a Chromecast with Google TV and subscribe to now TV when you need it.

It is tempting to be honest, I do watch football most weeks and the odd movie but we dont use it as much as we use to.

Quote Originally Posted by NikGixer750 View Post
    It is tempting to be honest, I do watch football most weeks and the odd movie but we dont use it as much as we use to.
    Then you only need to subscribe to sports during the season and buy a movie pass when something decent is on.

Less clutter and if you watch Netflix or Disney plus the experience of the native apps are much better.

I've never looked back.

Master
    I am a bit mystified by Sky Glass, we're moving to an older cottage and don't want to put a dish on it.

Aha, I thought, Sky Glass, just the job...but no it's a TV! I don't want a TV, I've already got a very nice one...

I was hoping for a box that gave the Sky Q experience but without a dish.

Anyway, I really think they've shot themselves in the foot here, looking at our usage we only really watch the sport channels so actually Now TV will do us - I realise Now TV is Sky, but if we could have continued our existing service but without a dish (or TV we don't want) we would have.

Master
    I did not realise until today that it only streamed & had no record feature. Limited really, plus I like to be able to choose the tv I want.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    I did not realise until today that it only streamed & had no record feature. Limited really, plus I like to be able to choose the tv I want.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    This was the exact reason that my mate returned it...
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    This was the exact reason that my mate returned it...
    Seems like an oversight. I had naturally assumed that they would have continued with the ability to record, which has been their whole point since Sky+.

Whilst it doesn’t say it anywhere, I had taken it as standard usage these days. My dad has just cancelled his order after a phone call with him earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    Seems like an oversight. I had naturally assumed that they would have continued with the ability to record, which has been their whole point since Sky+.

Whilst it doesn’t say it anywhere, I had taken it as standard usage these days. My dad has just cancelled his order after a phone call with him earlier.
    But if everything is there to stream, why would you need to locally store anything?

Master
    They don't get good reviews for quality

I think they will be a failed experiment in a couple of years. There just won't be enough people giving up their existing TV to get a sky TV when you could just use the now TV app and get the same or better experience.
    The Betamax of the 21st century maybe :-)

Blog Entries
    Get one your kids might make a few quid in a antique show in the future.
    I FEEL LIKE I'M DIAGONALLY PARKED IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE

Craftsman
    But if everything is there to stream, why would you need to locally store anything?

For us as a family, it's the series link.
    Trying to remember everything we watch and then searching for it without series link would be a right headache.

Quote Originally Posted by Nigel306 View Post
    For us as a family, it's the series link.
    Trying to remember everything we watch and then searching for it without series link would be a right headache.
    It's a headache in sky because I find the user interface for streaming content absolutely awful.

Netflix and Disney don't have that problem

Neither do prime, even BBC, channel 4 and itv manage to do a decent job.

Also, now TV has a better interface.

Once you watch a show as part of a series, it goes into a continue watching segment and pick up at the next episode.

Watching different shows per family member, just log into your own profile.

Master
    Does Sky Glass not add a series to the planner? I believe it does. Which although doesn’t mean it recorded the whole series I think it means it allows you to watch at a click when you want to.

A new concept which needs some improvements perhaps and also some getting used to.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by SimonH View Post
    I am a bit mystified by Sky Glass, we're moving to an older cottage and don't want to put a dish on it.

Aha, I thought, Sky Glass, just the job...but no it's a TV! I don't want a TV, I've already got a very nice one...

I was hoping for a box that gave the Sky Q experience but without a dish.

Anyway, I really think they've shot themselves in the foot here, looking at our usage we only really watch the sport channels so actually Now TV will do us - I realise Now TV is Sky, but if we could have continued our existing service but without a dish (or TV we don't want) we would have.
    Funnily enough I was on a call with Sky yesterday having exactly the same conversation. The agent couldn’t understand that I just wanted a dishless TV feed, without the expensive TV that wasn’t as good as the TV I already have. Finally accepted that it’ll be a couple of years before Sky stop flogging the TV itself and sell a ‘puck’ that acts as a wireless smart hub for TV services on its own (currently you only get that as a second box).

I thought I read years back now that Sky were moving to dishless ASAP. they’ve already got the tech and the engineer installs for the dish much be costing them a fortune. Missing a huge opportunity there I think

Quote Originally Posted by NickGaters View Post
    Funnily enough I was on a call with Sky yesterday having exactly the same conversation. The agent couldn’t understand that I just wanted a dishless TV feed, without the expensive TV that wasn’t as good as the TV I already have. Finally accepted that it’ll be a couple of years before Sky stop flogging the TV itself and sell a ‘puck’ that acts as a wireless smart hub for TV services on its own (currently you only get that as a second box).

I thought I read years back now that Sky were moving to dishless ASAP. they’ve already got the tech and the engineer installs for the dish much be costing them a fortune. Missing a huge opportunity there I think
    Problem for them is content.

If they go streaming then they are in direct competition with Netflix, Amazon and Disney but they don't have a reliable source of content. This means people will compare apples with apples and the service from them is worse whilst the price is higher. Got to go pop at some stage.

I get now broadband including line rental for £18 a month (not fibre, it's not available)

Then I use Freeview or streaming apps. iPlayer, more 4, Netflix, Disney plus and NFL gamepass. I add a now TV pass very occasionally.

All accessed by Google TV via my Sony TV.

Problem for them is content.

If they go streaming then they are in direct competition with Netflix, Amazon and Disney but they don't have a reliable source of content. This means people will compare apples with apples and the service from them is worse whilst the price is higher. Got to go pop at some stage.

Sky content is actually really good, especially the arts, HBO and sports where there is really no viable alternative.

There are generations of customers who enjoy the sky PVR as it's light years ahead of the alternative when it comes to UX.

Lots of people (like my inlaws and my parents) dump sky and try to go with council TV and streaming and then eventually go back to Sky. If you're still watching a lot of BBC and Channel 4 content then Sky is a really good option.

Streaming such channels is OK but patchy as fuck...channel 4 allows live viewing but not timeslip for example, it can take hours for content to arrive online post broadcast etc etc etc

I spent 10 years working for Sky and it's true that their traditional base is declining, but they still have millions and millions of customers paying a nice chunky monthly fee.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazydonkey View Post

Lots of people (like my inlaws and my parents) dump sky and try to go with council TV and streaming and then eventually go back to Sky.
    What do you call the box on the back of a Sky dish?

A council house.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazydonkey View Post
    Sky content is actually really good, especially the arts, HBO and sports where there is really no viable alternative.

There are generations of customers who enjoy the sky PVR as it's light years ahead of the alternative when it comes to UX.

Lots of people (like my inlaws and my parents) dump sky and try to go with council TV and streaming and then eventually go back to Sky. If you're still watching a lot of BBC and Channel 4 content then Sky is a really good option.

Streaming such channels is OK but patchy as fuck...channel 4 allows live viewing but not timeslip for example, it can take hours for content to arrive online post broadcast etc etc etc

I spent 10 years working for Sky and it's true that their traditional base is declining, but they still have millions and millions of customers paying a nice chunky monthly fee.
    I didn't say the content wasn't good, i said it wasn't reliable, which makes it more frustrating!

What happens when HBO create their own streaming service and the premier League follow suit? Sky don't create enough of their own content to compete

I've never experienced a problem (even with my poor internet) streaming any of the content on iPlayer or more 4 and it's only getting better. I can't agree that the ux on sky is better, it's just what people are used to. Operating systems on TVs have come a long way and using apps in the sky userface is terrible. Especially as the poorer quality of the box gives a worse picture.

And lastly the monthly fee is ridiculous. Overpriced at the best of times and everyone paying a different price for the same product?? I'm not sure why they haven't been investigated!

It prays on older customers that just accept renewal costs and is horrible practice.

The UX comments were in comparison to the alternative PVR tools - the samsung and sony alternatives are awful as an example.

I agree the streamers are getting better but if i want to sit down at 9pm to watch a show that started at 8:30 then Channel 4 (as an example) doesn't work - the only option is Sky, another PVR or you wait until they get the fingers out their arse and put the broadcast on catch up.

To watch the F1, as an example, i've had to use the PVR in my samsung tv and it's just not as nice. Is it £60 a month not as nice? No.

I agree on the sky tactics, i was in many a meeting where we tried to show that their practice actually costs them money but no changes ever came.

I agree, I don't know why local media storage still exists. Well I do, but it's not because the tec isn't there.

F1 is a prime example of going to its own platform. I like sports but there's many I just don't watch, I'd buy a pass to F1 races and build up shows and legacy documentaries. I've no idea why the premier League hasn't done it.

I do think it's gotten to a point where sky just haven't adapted, other technology is better and they are clinging on whilst milking a loyal customer base which is bad business practice at best, immoral at worst.