closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: MotoGP 2022

MotoGP 2022

Having only just finished the 2021 season I'm quite looking forward to 2022. A British team in Moto3 and several interesting rookies in Moto2 amongst other moves and changes.

Master
    As I only get the ITV 4 highlights I see Moto 2 & 3 before the main race. Moto 2 has been a revelation to me. The likes of Pedro Acosta and his contemporaries battling it out on such small cc bikes where there is non of the Ducati Missile effect on the straights. Just last night in the Valencia coverage, Acosta went from 1st to 5 th in ONE corner. Then fought back inside the lap.

With new blood coming into Moto GP it could be an interesting season , OR with 7 Desmo bikes on the grid will a Ducati 12&3 become the norm?

Something exciting to look fwd to , bring it on.
    Steve

Master
    I'm in the same position as Higham5 relying on ITV4 Highlights for my fix.

Surprising the programme gives about the same time coverage to Motos 2 and 3 as it does to Motogp and I have also grown to enjoy the lesser formats.

Looking forward to next year to see how a fit Marques competes against the rapidly improving young riders.

scooter

Master
    Have to agree with Scooter when MotoGP was on Quest? Moto2&3 were boxed off in the first 10 mins, certainly before the first adverts. Now they are given 10/15 mins each which initially I disliked BUT now I enjoy.
    Steve

A rookie in Moto3 for 2022, Taiyo Furusato is rounding out his 2021 season with four races at the new Mandalika circuit where the Asia Talent Cup are competing alongside the World Superbikes: www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwyd8suHu2k.

Races 2, 3 and 4 are due tomorrow at 04h00 and 08h30, then 04h00 on Sunday.

Also racing is Danial Sharil having recovered from a major injury: www.youtube.com/watch?v=kg_4Z822V3A.
    Last edited by PickleB; 19th November 2021 at 10:40.

Is anyone else trying to watch the WSBk event at Mandalika? I believe that it was on the calendar this year for WSBk and MotoGP, but both events were postponed owing to travel restrictions and MotoGP was eventually cancelled.

This morning WSBk managed to run one race for the ATC and WSSp...then the heavens opened. They hope to run two WSBk races tomorrow and one each for the other classes.

There have been some teething problems with this new track. They had issues last weekend with the organisation and support (marshals) such that two ATC races were deferred to this weekend (they have already been run yesterday and today).

I'm not too hopeful for tomorrow's racing as more rain is forecast. I don't know if they can or will hold over the rest of the event until Monday.

Given that this is November when the data suggests that they should get 22 cm of rain, I have to wonder about MotoGP's choice or March for Indonesia on their provisional calendar as that month generally gets twice as much rain (and it's still hot).

Hopefully they will sort out the issues and eventually Mandalika can become a regular venue on both their calendars. It may even have to move to an evening / night time event, but that would require lots of lighting to be installed and I get the feeling that there may not be much left in the budget after building the circuit and what infra-structure the is at present.

Fingers crossed...

Sunday update: With only minor disturbance from "drops of rain" around the circuit they managed to run the first WSBk race and two support races before the heavens opened on the grid for race 2. The good news is that the championship was decided by race 1 and that, although delayed, it may still be possible to run race 2. Let's hope that Dorna etc are learning something about how to programme events at this track.

For the record: After waiting an hour and a half a 12 lap wet race finished off the WSBk season.
    Last edited by PickleB; 21st November 2021 at 10:01.

One of an informative series of videos: MotoGP™ Rules & Regs: Replacement Riders. This was an interesting one as I hadn't really understood the rules on this topic.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    Moto 2 has been a revelation to me. The likes of Pedro Acosta and his contemporaries battling it out on such small cc bikes
    (As an aside I wouldn't say they were that small cc, i.e. 600s, when for decades that intermediate class was 250s. But anyway you're abs right that there is much fun to be had spectating the smaller classes.)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom-P View Post
    (As an aside I wouldn't say they were that small cc, i.e. 600s, when for decades that intermediate class was 250s. But anyway you're abs right that there is much fun to be had spectating the smaller classes.)
    You make a good point but you edited the quote of this post:

As I only get the ITV 4 highlights I see Moto 2 & 3 before the main race. Moto 2 has been a revelation to me. The likes of Pedro Acosta and his contemporaries battling it out on such small cc bikes where there is non of the Ducati Missile effect on the straights. Just last night in the Valencia coverage, Acosta went from 1st to 5 th in ONE corner. Then fought back inside the lap.

With new blood coming into Moto GP it could be an interesting season , OR with 7 Desmo bikes on the grid will a Ducati 12&3 become the norm?

Something exciting to look fwd to , bring it on.
    Steve
    ...to read "Moto 2 has been a revelation to me. The likes of Pedro Acosta and his contemporaries battling it out on such small cc bikes". Thereby mangling higham5's meaning as Pedro Acosta has yet to ride in Moto2. To date he has one year in Moto3, the 'lightweight' class.

You are right when you say that "for decades that intermediate class was 250"cc, but I remember an era when the intermediate class was 350cc, 250cc being lightweight and 125cc being ultra-lightweight. I'm not sure what that made the 50cc class. Even that is a bit confusing as, over time, 125cc became the 'lightweight' category and then 125cc bikes were replaced by 250cc machines with the introduction of Moto3 as a class.

It is interesting to see the change of categories / classes through the years...4-stroke up to the early 70's, the 2-stroke era, a dalliance with 750cc and the eventual return to 4-stroke and an increase in capacities. Wiki has many pages on motorcycle racing, but a couple that illustrate this are:

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    You make a good point but you edited the quote of this post ... Thereby mangling higham5's meaning as Pedro Acosta has yet to ride in Moto2. To date he has one year in Moto3, the 'lightweight' class.
    Quite right and sorry, yes.

Quite right and sorry, yes.
    No need for any apology...mistakes happen and I've made a few.

Let's hope that a) the 2022 season manages to run with fewer Covid delays and cancellations than 2021, and b) the riders, new and established, give us an enjoyable competition.

The Moto2 class has been running 765cc engines since triumph became engine supplier; it was 600cc before that when Honda supplied the motors.

That is only 35cc less than the 800cc MotoGP bikes of a few seasons back.

Exclamation New season starts this w/end

Hi thread bump!

Qatar opener starts this weekend- Live BT Sports (boo), MOTO GP pass (139 euro I think) or my ex BT (as they didn't protect the price as promised and their broadband+sports had reached £79pm) version- highlights are Monday on ITV4 if you want to programme those recorders and fingers crossed they haven't reset to crap editing / forgetting to record the sound of the bikes etc...

I've given up on F1, not even going to bother with C4 highlights after last season so this is my motorsport fix, other than BTCC mix of going and live tv on ITV4(3), they have extended the contract 2026 and have full house of 32 cars on track.

Penalties a plenty in Moto3 for the first race of the year...and that's from QP before they even start the race!

An interesting read, IMO...link.

ITV4 coverage at same standard as last year (the good bit at the end), although 3 lots of ads in the main race is why I record it

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Pox View Post
    ITV4 coverage at same standard as last year (the good bit at the end), although 3 lots of ads in the main race is why I record it
    I found the three separate gambling ads plus the fact the “ late night section” is sponsored by William Hill a bit OTT . The bulk of the Motot GP fans are grey haired grisly’s who have or want another bike in the shed, not a punt on some coloured lights.

Sorry rant over.

Master
    An interesting read, IMO...link.
    In many ways Moto GP is going the opposite to Formula 1. Eg faster lower , more aggressive. Formula 1 has suffered engine restrictions, ride heights, downforce limits. Its hard to determine which is the correct route.

I for one am beginning to enjoy Moto 2+3 as young riders on matched machines pile into corners sometimes 5 abreast affording each other room and the lead changes every other corner!

I for one am beginning to enjoy Moto 2+3 as young riders on matched machines pile into corners sometimes 5 abreast affording each other room and the lead changes every other corner!
    It's been like that for ages. Usually much closer racing in the junior classes.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

If you're going to watch the MotoGP Highlights on ITV4 @ 20h00 you may want to give this video a miss until after the programme.

ICYMI:

Only Moto3 managed a full length race...and it was a good one. Moto2 was shortened and I nodded off for a while, given that is was gone 02h00 in the morning.

Mandalika has its problems, a lot of them due to the climate, but MotoGP did better than WSBks who were the first on the circuit last year (see post #6 above).

Master
    If you're going to watch the MotoGP Highlights on ITV4 @ 20h00 you may want to give this video a miss until after the programme.

ICYMI:

Only Moto3 managed a full length race...and it was a good one. Moto2 was shortened and I nodded off for a while, given that is was gone 02h00 in the morning.

Mandalika has its problems, a lot of them due to the climate, but MotoGP did better than WSBks who were the first on the circuit last year (see post #6 above).
    I'm amazed that he walked/hobbled/staggered away from that one. Adrenaline in bucket loads.

Quote Originally Posted by tixntox View Post
    I'm amazed that he walked/hobbled/staggered away from that one. Adrenaline in bucket loads.
    And that wasn't his first off during the weekend. See FP2...and others.

Master
    And that wasn't his first off during the weekend. See FP2...and others.
    Being laid up at the moment I watched all the practice sessions as well, and not only did he have 4 high speed offs, he also had at least 4 very near offs that somehow he saved.. I’m beginning to think something is amis upstairs🤔

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    Being laid up at the moment I watched all the practice sessions as well, and not only did he have 4 high speed offs, he also had at least 4 very near offs that somehow he saved.. I’m beginning to think something is amis upstairs樂
    With the number of concussions he has suffered in the last few years I'd be worried about some permanent impairment developing. As it stands he has diplopia once more...link.

Master
    Time to retire. It is a very fine line between maintaining long term performance and health when at the sharpest of sharp ends over a career. Sadly I think MM has pursued winning 10 championships to dethrone VR at too great a cost - for himself and others.

Is 2022 Suzuki's last season...link...and who will fill their spaces on the grid?

Journeyman
    Is 2022 Suzuki's last season...link...and who will fill their spaces on the grid?
    Hopefully not another two Ducatis lol

Master
    Suzuki were caught cheating car emissions tests and could be facing a several $B fine.

A MotoGP program in those circumstances sounds like a luxury they can't afford.

Even if you don't read the whole article, have a look at the last section beginning "Journalists used to be able to talk to Race Direction"...link.

Master
    Remember this thread? I guess I’m not the only one struggling to care who wins out of the current crop.

I’m trying to find the will to be interested in Fabio Quarteraro vs the Ducatis and the resurgent Aprilia, and maybe even to support Bastianini, but it’s an effort. Maybe the electronics have ruined it, no one ever seems to do anything interesting enough to get your attention. Bagnaia winning is about as watchable as a non-playable character winning a computer game, I have no concept of who he is. I actually fell asleep during today’s race.

Marquez can’t come back soon enough, seeing if he can make a comeback with some dramatic riding next year is the only thing that could keep me watching at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    Remember this thread? I guess I’m not the only one struggling to care who wins out of the current crop.

I’m trying to find the will to be interested in Fabio Quarteraro vs the Ducatis and the resurgent Aprilia, and maybe even to support Bastianini, but it’s an effort. Maybe the electronics have ruined it, no one ever seems to do anything interesting enough to get your attention. Bagnaia winning is about as watchable as a non-playable character winning a computer game, I have no concept of who he is. I actually fell asleep during today’s race.

Marquez can’t come back soon enough, seeing if he can make a comeback with some dramatic riding next year is the only thing that could keep me watching at this point.
    How about the Moto3 races? They are my prime motivation for watching MotoGP etc.

Hmmm...Blacklisted by Ducati:

...Inevitably there can be friction between the press and PR crews, because we want to find out what’s going on, to write stuff that informs and entertains you, the fans, while they sometimes don’t want us to find out what’s really going on. This leads to many amusing incidents between us, the riders and their PR people. Only occasionally do things get a bit ugly, like now…

I’ve got chats booked with engineers from Aprilia, Honda, Suzuki and Yamaha at upcoming races. But not from Ducati.

The Italian manufacturer has refused to allow me to speak to any of its engineers. Throughout my 35 years in MotoGP I’ve written many things that riders, engineers, teams and tyre companies didn’t appreciate. That’s my job, to write what I believe to be right, not to blow smoke up people’s arses...

The real problem with the factory Ducati team’s PR people is that it’s not just me they’re after. They seem to be trying to control what MotoGP journalists write, more so than any factory I’ve known...

I know it’s a really long long shot, but am I the only one who thinks that Jack Miller may just sneak it?

Agreed a nice idea, but can't see Ducati letting him take the No.1 plate to KTM somehow.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    I know it’s a really long long shot, but am I the only one who thinks that Jack Miller may just sneak it?
    On Itv4 last night they raised the same question. Apparently there is “54 points in it “. I wasnt sure if that was his deficit on FQ or point potentially left to win.

On Itv4 last night they raised the same question. Apparently there is “54 points in it “. I wasnt sure if that was his deficit on FQ or point potentially left to win.
    Wiki is your friend...https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2022_M...#39;_standings.

With 3 races left that's a maximum of 75 points on offer, against any that FQ, or other contenders, may gain.

MotoGP 2022

Three races so 75 points available and he’s currently 40 behind.

It’s a tall order and there’s four great riders ahead of him but he does have an outside chance.

I don’t think Ducati Wouk’s care about him taking the No1 plate to Aprilia if he wins the title for Ducati!

Quite possibly.

I really rate Jack, but can't see him scooping the championship.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    It's not the same for me without Rossi even though he was not in contention the last few years, but I still love watching.

I want Fabio Quarteraro to win. He's doing brilliantly despite the bike.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Not quite the same but he’s still there running the VR46 team.

Journeyman
    im gunning for asparagus, would be aweesome having Aprilia win a title!

Quote Originally Posted by Pardalis View Post
    im gunning for asparagus, would be aweesome having Aprilia win a title!
    I can't argue with that.

My main interest being Moto3, I'm very much looking forward to the 2023 season. 2022 may still have some surprises to come, but it most of the excitement was probably earlier in the season.

Master
    I’d love Miller to get the championship, but if not him then the Beast… Not keen on Bagnaia

I can't argue with that.

My main interest being Moto3, I'm very much looking forward to the 2023 season. 2022 may still have some surprises to come, but it most of the excitement was probably earlier in the season.
    Jake Dixon has matured nicely in Moto 2 this season and could be a good outside bet for 2023.

That could see him on a Moto GP bike for 2024 or 2025. Cal is doing well considering he’s come out of retirement and only had a couple of races but it would be nice to see a Brit back in the premier class.

Jake Dixon has matured nicely in Moto 2 this season and could be a good outside bet for 2023.

That could see him on a Moto GP bike for 2024 or 2025. Cal is doing well considering he’s come out of retirement and only had a couple of races but it would be nice to see a Brit back in the premier class.

It could be a few years...but, yes, it would be good "to see a Brit back in the premier class". That's one of the reasons I take an interest in the British Talent Cup and the European follow-ons (ETC, RBRC, JnrGP etc).

Just watched the Aussie highlights; what a race!

My prediction about Miller was clearly blown out of the water but great to see Marquez firmly back in the picture. Barring injury, he’s got to be in with a shout for the title in 2023.

Journeyman
    Just watched the Aussie highlights; what a race!

My prediction about Miller was clearly blown out of the water but great to see Marquez firmly back in the picture. Barring injury, he’s got to be in with a shout for the title in 2023.

always a great race down under, was expecting marc#givemeatowmarquez to punt someone off again but it was his Bro instead lol, v dangerous move, hope he gets along lap or something

MotoGP...it’s a family affair:

...The Ezpeleta family now bestrides MotoGP: from the commercial side of running the championship (which is Dorna’s primary job), to playing a major role in the actual running of the races and now to overseeing the safety of the riders and punishing riders.

To call these final parts of the Ezpeleta family’s rule of MotoGP a conflict of interest would be an understatement, because you cannot have the same family overseeing the commercial aspects of the sport, as well as safety and rider contact aspects, which is why they are both jobs awarded by the FIM (Fédération Internationale de Motocyclisme), not Dorna.

However, the fact the sport’s governing body gave nephew Ezpeleta his new job and looks set to give his partner a job, begs further questions regarding the uncomfortably close relationship between the various bodies that run MotoGP.

Motorcycling is a wonderful sport and its world championships should not be a family fiefdom.

Mixed feelings after watching the races from Valencia today.

Bagnaia is a worthy champion, but Quartararo has been brilliant on a far inferior bike.

Lovely to see Suzuki get another win. What a shame to see them leave the paddock.

Fernandez deserved the Moto 2 championship, but Ogura should have won had he not made that stupid mistake in Malaysia.

Sad to see McPhee end his career with a mediocre result, but Guevara really showed his class.
    Last edited by andy tims; 6th November 2022 at 19:47.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57